Austin
Sponsored by

BBQ - Lockhart

1,777 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 007ag
Dobie Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy. Will be in the Lockhart area in a couple of weeks and would like to know which one the barbecue joints we should hit up. Will only be there for a couple of hours around lunch time, so which one do y'all recommend?
fourth deck
AG
Black's, open 8 days a week! Although last time my family and I went down to Lockhart Black's and Smitty's did not have any wait but BarbsBQ had a line out the door. I guess it's the new hotness. If you have a couple hours and a big enough appetite they're all just a stroll around the town square.
Martin Cash
AG
Terry Black's.
PabloSerna
AG
Kruez Market - my favorite and I have tried them all. Ribs are incredible!
The Fall Guy
AG
Terry Blacks is the best now, but smittys or Kreutzes next. Chisolm Trail for the Chicken only. We get 2 or 3 Chickens when there for home. Have not tried Barbs yet
fourth deck
AG
Went down and tried the new Terry Black's yesterday and it is indeed good. I would put it neck and neck with the original Black's. Heard it secondhand that they do some smoking for the Barton Springs location. Was nice to be able to sit outside on a pleasant afternoon compared to the older places. Also very easy to drop a benjamin when taking the family out for bbq now, ugh.
KT 90
AG
fourth deck said:

Went down and tried the new Terry Black's yesterday and it is indeed good. I would put it neck and neck with the original Black's. Heard it secondhand that they do some smoking for the Barton Springs location. Was nice to be able to sit outside on a pleasant afternoon compared to the older places. Also very easy to drop a benjamin when taking the family out for bbq now, ugh.

Good BBQ anywhere these days is pretty expensive, even more so when you hit Terry Black's on Barton Springs. It's really good though, some of the best I've had.
KT 90
AG
Dobie Ag said:

Howdy. Will be in the Lockhart area in a couple of weeks and would like to know which one the barbecue joints we should hit up. Will only be there for a couple of hours around lunch time, so which one do y'all recommend?
You can't really go wrong with any of Kruez's, Smitty's, or Black's BBQ in Lockhart. They are all good. Some people swear by one or the other, but they are all good.

I have not tried BarbsBQ which is relatively new. But I believe they are only open one day a week. Plus, I don't really do the "line out the door" places, especially when Kruez's, Smitty's, Black's right there as well (if you are in Lockhart).

Topher17
AG
If you're here on a Saturday, Barbs is the best of the bunch if you're willing to wait in line. The line doesn't actually take too long, but I would recommend arriving around or before 11 when they open as they will run out. They're open on Sunday now as well, but they don't make nearly as much and seem to run out pretty quickly.

If you aren't willing to wait, I would rank them Terry Black's, Kreuz, Black's and much further behind any of those would be Smitty's. You can get TB in Austin though, so I would send most people to Kreuz. After you're done, walk the square and grab a cold beer or cocktail from Old Pal.
letmeinnow
AG
I prefer Luling City Market over any of the Lockhart BBQ.
txags92
AG
letmeinnow said:

I prefer Luling City Market over any of the Lockhart BBQ.
I have only had Terry Black's and Kreutzs in Lockhart, but I would put the Luling sausage ahead of both of them for sure. But I love a coarse ground czech style sausage and Lulings is one of the best in the state of that type. For brisket, I liked TBs better, but both were good.
Topher17
AG
For sausage Luling is better than anything in Lockhart and probably better than anything in Austin as well. So damn good.
txags92
AG
Topher17 said:

For sausage Luling is better than anything in Lockhart and probably better than anything in Austin as well. So damn good.
The original beef sausage at Southside Market in Elgin or Bastrop is pretty close, but Luling is better. The only one I have had that might have been better than Luling was from the old Central Texas BBQ in Pearland, but I haven't been there in probably 20 years. I have no idea if they still have the same style or not, and haven't been able to try it out recently to see if it actually is better or if I just remember it that way. Novosad's in Hallettsville supposedly has a good coarse ground czech sausage, but I haven't been down there to try it for myself.
007ag
AG
Original Blacks since covid has gone downhill.

Terry Blacks, Kreuz, Smitty's are all really good. Personally, I like the ribs and all the sides at TB, smoked turkey at Kreuz and brisket and atmosphere at Smittys.

Barbs if you're looking for something out of the box, non traditional Texas BBQ. The ribs are great and have a unique seasoning and their poblano spaghetti is KILLER!

Enjoy!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.