Aggie owned lawn service
4,524 Views | 21 Replies
Scriffer
9:35a, 7/26/20
My lawn is a disaster. I've followed Neil Sperry for years, but my St Augustin is a mess. Any Aggie owned lawn businesses out there? I do three mowing, so just looking for fertilization and other seasonal treatments.
sburg2007
10:10a, 7/26/20
In reply to Scriffer
Where are you located?
Scriffer
10:21a, 7/26/20
North Dallas at Frankford and the Tollway
sburg2007
11:21a, 7/26/20
I know Lush Landscapes Concepts is Aggie owned and operated. Contact Chris at 469-644-3446. When I was in Plano they did some work for me. I'd love to help, but I'm south of Fort Worth.
ravingfans
1:05p, 7/26/20
In reply to Scriffer
Scriffer said:

My lawn is a disaster. I've followed Neil Sperry for years, but my St Augustin is a mess. Any Aggie owned lawn businesses out there? I do three mowing, so just looking for fertilization and other seasonal treatments.

Is your grass in heavy shade? How much do you water?
Scriffer
3:55p, 7/26/20
Thanks sburg. I'll give him a call

Raving, full sun all day. Watering 2x / week based on whatever Rachio calculates

Edit: I've fought off chinch bugs two years in a row, dealt with brown patch and TARR once each. Now nutsedge is somehow invading.
ravingfans
4:18p, 7/26/20
In reply to Scriffer
Scriffer said:

Raving, full sun all day. Watering 2x / week based on whatever Rachio calculates

Edit: I've fought off chinch bugs two years in a row, dealt with brown patch and TARR once each. Now nutsedge is somehow invading.

Full sun, you would be better off with Bermuda. Don't know much about the bugs, brown patch TARR and nutsedge, but could you be overwatering, perhaps?
TexAggee05
7:43p, 7/26/20
https://bairringtonlandscaping.com/
Post removed:
by user
9:06p, 7/26/20
big ben
9:55a, 7/27/20
Soils Alive is legit
ChoppinDs40
10:45a, 7/27/20
In reply to Scriffer
Scriffer said:

you've got some irrigation and water problems if you're fighting all of that.

chinch bugs invade when it gets hot. Just put down insecticide for that - buy at home depot for like $20 and use a hand spreader if you don't have one.

brown patch is common in ALL St. Augustine yards, especially if you have drainage issues. Usually this is a result of two things, 1) you're overwatering, 2) it's rained a ton. Brownpatch affects yards in the fall as it is a fungus that grows when the night time temps get cooler and the yard is wet. Sometimes, especially further south (Houston, BCS, etc.) you can't really avoid it with heavy rainfall.

TARR is also something that just happens. Could easily come from your neighbors yard. I had to get mine treated for TARR when we first moved in. Soils Alive did a great job and our yard is the best on the block.

If you're in full sun, 2x/week on St. Augustine is going to make your yard look like chit right now with the little amount of rain we're having.

I'm running mine 3 days a week, 2 long cycles each early in the AM.
BrianDemarais
2:47p, 7/28/20
Buddy of mine has a lawn care company doing the chemical treatment for soil and grass. He went to Georgia, but his parents are Aggies

https://victoryturftx.com/
Scriffer
7:59a, 7/29/20
Thanks choppin. Had a guy out who basically said the same thing. I'm bumping the watering way up and adding one sprinkler head to help with coverage.
TMfrisco
6:11p, 7/29/20
If you need any more help, let me know. I do fertilizer and chemical applications for a select few people - family, friends, neighbors, other Aggies.
Scriffer
8:45a, 8/6/20
Thanks for the offer Frisco, but I missed it and signed up with a local company. (My subscription expired, but for some reason the stars remain; so no watch list.)

I've been watering the crap out of it for the last week, and it's recovering strongly. Just need to find some sod squares to throw down, and hopefully I'll be on my way.
Ar0913
6:32p, 6/27/22
In reply to sburg2007
Do you by any chance work on irrigation systems?
planoaggie123
2:58p, 11/6/23
Bumping this thread.

I know its winter but I am growing extremely frustrated with my lawn.

St Augustine.

Every other year it looks miserable.

We pay a ton for fertilizing group and they just dump chemicals, blame it on water, and move along.

Anyone that has any companies they like let me know. Currently using Chorbie....
ftworthag02
9:23a, 11/7/23
In reply to planoaggie123
contact your local site one landscape and they can give you a name.
turfaggie24
5:08p, 11/30/23
I know of several and they got their degrees from A&M in turf. PM me and I'll be happy to help!
"Anymore questions you wanna ask?"-John Wayne

LoneStarAg17
3:56p, 3/12/24
Scriff, who'd you end up going with? We're pretty close, I'm in a similar situation. Throwing in the towel this year.
TMfrisco
7:02a, 3/14/24
In reply to LoneStarAg17
LoneStarAg17 said:

Scriff, who'd you end up going with? We're pretty close, I'm in a similar situation. Throwing in the towel this year.
What are you looking for?
LoneStarAg17
2:35p, 3/18/24
In reply to TMfrisco
General upkeep, mow/trim and weed killing / fertilizing as needed.

I was getting it to a good spot, then fell off last year and haven't even touched it this year. (other than mowing it a few times) and the weeds are taking back over.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings