Gastroenterologist Recommendations
1,701 Views | 11 Replies
a.froman
3:28p, 2/9/24
Looking for a good gastroenterologist in DFW preferably Frisco/ Plano area but willing to drive if needed. Thanks
aggie_wes
8:04p, 2/9/24
Any particular thing you're going for, or just in general? My wife was an NP in a GI practice, but in Fort Worth. I can ask her but it helps to know what you're looking for.
a.froman
8:14p, 2/9/24
Thanks for getting back. I want to find out why I have consistent acid reflux. I take Prilosec and it gets better but once I am back off of it, it comes back. Looking for a prescription or a doctor to get me something to get it under control. It feels like I always have the sensation to try and cough up mucus.
mosdefn14
11:19a, 2/10/24
No GI recommendation, but do you frequently drink sodas or booze? I went down this path with a GI years ago after taking something almost daily for a few years. He had me cut those out for a few months to try. Haven't taken a Prilosec in over a decade now.
aggie_wes
12:21p, 2/10/24
I had a similar issue, went through DHAT in fort Worth (don't remember the Dr. Name anymore) but basically it came down to a few things for me

Lose weight
Avoid alcohol
Avoid spicy/greasy/rich foods
Avoid carbonated drinks.

I used to need multiple antacids a day, every day. The changes above (primarily losing weight) made it where I basically never have an issue anymore and I can once again drink alcohol, chocolate, etc.
a.froman
2:29p, 2/10/24
Thanks. Unfortunately it is probably the soft drinks. Also I like spicy foods too. Weight and alcohol aren't really an issue. Do you know what I can drink besides water? Gatorade, tea…? How long did you abstain before it got under control? Did you stay on any medication as well?
aggie_wes
4:04p, 2/10/24
In reply to a.froman
a.froman said:

Thanks. Unfortunately it is probably the soft drinks. Also I like spicy foods too. Weight and alcohol aren't really an issue. Do you know what I can drink besides water? Gatorade, tea…? How long did you abstain before it got under control? Did you stay on any medication as well?

I didn't think I was overweight enough for that to be the issue (6', was about 215) but that and a standard American diet was enough to cause me problems.

Caffeine is bad also, so is sugar... Ideally drink water, but here is where you need to talk to a Dr.

I took nexium for about 6 months and lost 30#, which included diet changes obviously. I don't take any meds anymore except I'll pop a pepcid if I'm going out for dinner and drinks but that's it.
hodges97
10:16p, 2/21/24
Dr Suvin Banker:

Baylor Scott & White Digestive Diseases at The Star
3800 Gaylord Pkwy Frisco TX,75034
a.froman
10:25p, 2/21/24
In reply to hodges97
Thanks so much
Anubus
5:38a, 3/4/24
Can anyone recommend a great GI doctor that knows a lot about Crohn's and actually listens to patients? Preferably around the Richardson or NE Dallas area.
mefoghorn
10:43a, 3/28/24
Dr. Paul Tarnasky at DHAT works out of Methodist Central in Dallas. Eventually, everyone I know seems to end up getting scoped by Tarnasky for GI problems. He fixed my gall bladder removal gone bad.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
11:59a, 3/28/24
In reply to a.froman
a.froman said:

Soft drinks can cause a lot of acid reflux and digestive issues. I would recommend taking 1 month away from them while switching to mainly water with the occasional glass of tea/coffee. If you are drinking diet soda be aware there can be withdrawal symptoms. Cutting out soda from your diet will improve your health substantially.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings