Metroplex
Sponsored by

HOA Issues. Advice Wanted.

1,596 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Deats99
fightinags2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any lawyers they'd recommend to help us get our HOA management company to 1.) Answer the phone 2.) Get off their collective butts? Would you even recommend a lawyer?

Long story short:
We own a townhome in a community with townhomes and single family homes

HOA is still under developer control. They hired a management company to oversee HOA. They are currently trying to transfer HOA control to homeowners despite being very in the red financially.

The mgmt company was using our dues to purchase roof insurance for our townhomes (we obviously all share one roof). They dropped coverage without telling us. 4 months later we are informed due to insurance rate increases, our roofs will no longer be covered and they have not been covered for the prior 4 months.

So essentially we are now stuck paying over $1k a year for nothing.

Are we just SOL and stuck with that assessment fee? Are we stuck paying that HOA rate even though they dropped this coverage, which was really the only benefit we received for being in the HOA that I can see. We have no common areas, no pool or anything like that.

Would appreciate any insight or ideas. Happy to clarify with more detail if I'm missing something.

Absolute
AG
I think you are pretty much stuck, but I'm not a lawyer. You agreed to the HOA authority in writing at some point most likely.

I have a townhome in Plano. Dealing with the management company has always been a PIA. Think that is more of a management company trait than an HOA issue. Got a notice yesterday that they were doing a 50k assessment (community has generally been good about having higher dues , but planning well and not doing many assessments) to cover the unexpected 50k rise in the insurance. Works out to 400 buck that they will kindly let me pay out over 4 months for my unit.

Not hugely surprised about it really. My insurance rates have gone up over 100% in the last 2.5 years and when I try to shop around I cannot find any better rates. Guess the insurance companies have decided they need to jump on the inflation bandwagon and fund more stupid tv commercials and sport venue naming rights deals.

cadetjay02
AG
My HOA was able to change management companies a couple years ago. I'm not sure of the process, but what about calling a competing management company and let them know you're interested in switching to them. I bet they would be able to point you in the right direction to get it done.
TAMUallen
AG
Sly but great.

Mine has issued me warnings maybe 3 or 4 about grass not growing where grass will not grow because of shade.

Have written them back and requested a call with HOA, even if company swears there will be a call back. Never have heard from them. Knock on wood but no fines.

I mean getting a complaint in January and demanding to fix in 2 weeks for grass, when there's zero winter rye, is a bit much. You want me to put down dead sod and redo it in may/june?
Know Your Enemy
AG
**** HOAs
amg405
AG
My really negative experiences in dealing with HOA's were mostly tied to developer control of the HOA. They're a shill for whatever is cheapest/in the best interest of the developer and it's hard to get anything changed when they have the "votes".
Garrelli 5000
AG
I can't help OP but I can confirm the management of our HOA (VCM Texas) when the developer (Hines) was still controlled the HOA was 100% dog s**t.

VCM Texas are crooks.
Take the trash out staff.
Deats99
AG
My contact info is in my profile. I am not an attorney, but have been in residential real estate for 20+ years and played this same game in our current neighborhood over the last 9 years.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.