Metroplex
Sponsored by

Just got property tax appraisal

7,229 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by gabehcoud
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any have recommendations on property tax protest services for Denton County? There's a ton of services out there, but want one that's reputable and effective.
fc2112
What basis do you have for thinking your property valuation is incorrect?
FDT 1999
AG
Propertytax.io did a great job for me last year. They don't charge you unless your actual tax bill goes down and their fee is capped at $500/35% of savings for anything under $1 mil.
Trustmyvoice
AG
How much did yours go up? Ours went down
Bulldog73
AG
My home value decreased slightly but the property value went up, so there was an overall increase despite my senior exemption coming on line.
Coates
fc2112 said:

What basis do you have for thinking your property valuation is incorrect?

You should dispute every year, even if it goes down.

We use North Texas Property Tax Services, no fee unless they lower it and they'll automatically dispute unless you cancel. I assume that's how they all work, but we've used them for years and they seem to do a great job.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I also use propertytax.io
fc2112
Oh, I usually do. I just do it myself and keep all the money.
gabehcoud
in case you haven't been following, tad was hacked again. this time being held for ransom. complete s show. wouldn't expect tax notices any time soon.
nai06
AG
gabehcoud said:

in case you haven't been following, tad was hacked again. this time being held for ransom. complete s show. wouldn't expect tax notices any time soon.

It'd sure be a shame if they just deleted everyone's property tax bills.
Ornlu
AG
Mine went down, by $716. I couldn't be more happy about it.
Coates
I did it myself as well, but the pros are better. The few hundred dollars you'll pay will get much better results and you don't have to spend hours going to argue, getting comps, etc.
TresPuertas
AG
if anyone wants to go low tech, i'm a local appraiser and am glad to help
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Got mine for Denton Co and my values went down but taxable value is higher due to a Homestead Cap Value/Circuit Breaker Limitation that was on my 2023 valuation but not there this year... what the hell is that?
Fenrir
Sounds like your previous year appraised value went up more than the 10% the homestead cap allows. Your taxable value last year was capped at the previous year + 10%. This year your appraised went down but not lower than your previous year taxable so taxable value still went up.

Example with round numbers for easy math

Appraised Value - 200,000
Assessed/Taxable Value - 200,000

Appraised Value - 280,000
Assessed/Taxable Value - 220,000 (can only go up 10% of previous year appraised)

Appraised Value - 260,000
Assessed/Taxable Value - 242,000 (can only go up 10% of previous year appraised)
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Fenrir said:

Sounds like your previous year appraised value went up more than the 10% the homestead cap allows. Your taxable value last year was capped at the previous year + 10%. This year your appraised went down but not lower than your previous year taxable so taxable value still went up.

Example with round numbers for easy math

Appraised Value - 200,000
Assessed/Taxable Value - 200,000

Appraised Value - 280,000
Assessed/Taxable Value - 220,000 (can only go up 10% of previous year appraised)

Appraised Value - 260,000
Assessed/Taxable Value - 242,000 (can only go up 10% of previous year appraised)

Thank you, that explains it.
double aught
AG
nai06 said:

gabehcoud said:

It'd sure be a shame if they just deleted everyone's property tax bills.
I prepaid my taxes for the next ten years, but they probably lost the record of that.
drewser95
AG
Just under 22% increase in Lower Greenville. I don't think mine's ever jumped that much in one year.
FTAco07
AG
Up another 16% in Lakewood
akaggie05
AG
26% in far N Dallas. Insanity.
OldAg93
AG
25.2% in Preston Hollow. So dumb. I've lived at the same address for over 25 years and it's insane to see how much the values have changed. The land value alone is 4x what I paid for the whole thing.
hbc07
AG
31.1% in Carrollton...
GarlandAg2012
AG
Damn I feel lucky by comparison, only up 14.5% in Lakewood.
AG
65% in FND.

Bought it from very olds. Frozen around 2005
Texker
AG
Is a CRAP TON a percentage? Yes, I think it is.
riverrataggie
AG
Up 20% here in Lakewood. Just doesn't stop.
txag2008
AG
Far N Dallas and mine stayed the same from '23 to '24. (also stayed the same from '22 to '23)
dallasag_123
31% on Swiss in east Dallas. Holy hell.
riverrataggie
AG
Just another data point to move back closer to family in hill country area before first kid hits middle school in next year and half.
riverrataggie
AG
Swiss bliss baby
2wealfth Man
AG
17% increase, Coppell (A-holes had my appraisal notice delivered on tax day!!!)
CoppellAg93
AG
Someone please help me out because I'm grossly uneducated on this topic ....

My appraisal showed a 2024 Appraised Capped Value and a 2024 Market Value (which was $105K higher that the first number).

Is the capped value the one I pay taxes against?

TIA
FTAco07
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

My appraisal showed a 2024 Appraised Capped Value and a 2024 Market Value (which was $105K higher that the first number).

TIA
Yes. The gap between market and capped value is based on your homestead exemption. Next year, your market value may not change but your taxable value will increase the maximum statutory amount and the gap between the two values will narrow.
GarlandAg2012
AG
FTAco07 said:

CoppellAg93 said:

TIA
Yes. The gap between market and capped value is based on your homestead exemption. Next year, your market value may not change but your taxable value will increase the maximum statutory amount and the gap between the two values will narrow.

Assuming the property qualifies for homestead exemption and wasn't purchased in the past year:

1) Market Value can change to any number based on the assessors judgment of what your property would be worth if it sold on the open market this year

2) Your homestead exemption prevents the amount that the taxable value is based on from going up more than 10% in a single year. This value is known as "Homestead Capped" in the market value table. It can change in years your market value doesn't change if it is still "catching up" to the full market value in 10% chunks.

3) Your homestead exemption also comes with an exemption that reduces the amount multiplied by the tax rate. This varies depending on the taxing entity. This is called the "taxable rate" and is broken out by City, ISD, County etc. This is the number you use to actually calculate your payment. See the Estimated Taxes table on DallasCAD if you're in Dallas County.

Edit: quoted the wrong person.
PuryearAg98
AG
Collin Co released there assessments. Mine rose right at 10.26%.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.