Houston
Sponsored by

Gym membership?

1,544 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Diggity
Just The Tippet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any recommendations for a good gym/fitness place in h-town? Or ones to avoid?

Not much experience in membership-type places so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
htownfan13
Get the 2 year 24 hour membership from costco. Best deal in town.
PottsDW
AG
Avoid Bally's.

If you sign a multiple year deal, they treat it like a loan. If you try to cancel, you owe them the balance. If you don't pay they file it on your credit.

Also, the one by Bunker Hill is full of old people, old equipment, and generally smells like pee.

We switched to LA Fitness in Greenway and couldn't be happier.
redag06
There are no more ballys, they are all Blast fitness'.
TexMex Redass 03
AG
Yetiag if you are looking for a gym I (along with a few other guys on here) work out at Houston Gym.

If you are interested in a membership I can pass either mine or my wife’s along to you. We are moving to katy and won't be practical to go to houston gym anymore

The gym manager is actually the person who suggested we transfer our gym membership to avoid the early termination of contract fee.

The wife and I currently live at 13th and heights and have a gym membership at Houston Gym which is on Durham across the street from Mission Burrito. We signed a 2 year contract in October of 2010 and it expires in October 2012 however we are moving to Cinco Ranch towards the 1st week of August. The wife is pregnant (due end of july) and so I prompted us to look into buying a house which is why we are moving. If we were to terminate our contract early we would be charge $200 dollars each and if we were to continue paying it would be come out to $168+ for both however the gym manager made the suggestion above. The suggestion was to transfer each membership to someone else and that person would then take over the payments which are $23.36 a person. This way we avoid paying the termination fee and the person taking over the payments does not have to pay an enrollment fee.

J.D.
AG
quote:
Get the 2 year 24 hour membership from costco. Best deal in town.

terradactylexpress
Redass I am interested in taking one of those
BSD
AG
quote:
There are no more ballys, they are all Blast fitness'.

I got pricing info on Blast like week. It's about $10 a month for the straight gym membership or $20 a month for the gym with group classes added. I cant vouch for the gym itself but I tour the place tomorrow.
htxag09
AG
Redass, I'm interested in both if they are still available...
TexMex Redass 03
AG
they are both still available. first email gets first dibs... either one of ya'll can email me at diegoalexramirez at yahoo and i can give you more details or answer any questions you may have
cjg89
AG
quote:
Also, the one by Bunker Hill is full of old people, old equipment, and generally smells like pee.

Not just 40s old like me, but old. It is really a place you want to get in and get out of and you see things that you wish you did not see. If I was young and single, I would avoid it at all cost.
cjg89
AG
How much is the 2yr 24hr membership?
htownfan13
Use google, dont be lazy.
Diggity
AG
The Costco page states that the deal doesn't work for super sport or ultra sport so that means no Midtown 24 Hour correct?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.