College Park vs Woodlands High School
3,876 Views | 16 Replies
little blue
9:02a, 5/21/23
Does anyone have any insight into the differences between the two high schools in the Woodlands? Or pros/cons of either one? Besides just the statistics online. My sister is moving to the Woodlands area and trying to make a decision between them.
BCG Disciple
9:40a, 5/21/23
I'd say schools are relatively close. CP is slightly more diverse because it pulls from the front of the woodlands. CP is about 25% smaller I think. CP also has the academy of science and technology, which pulls kids stem nerds from all area schools and places them at CP (including woodlands). So, in short, your own set of circumstances and kids should be the deciding factor, as the overall schools are close. I feel like TWHS is perceived to be slightly better historically.

As far as junior highs, I'd probably put McCullough ahead of Knox, if that's a factor.

Said differently, I'm not sure I'd let the high school decide the home I wanted. You're in a pretty close comparison.
JDUB08AG
11:42a, 5/21/23
McCullough (zoned to TWHS) is definitely a better middle school than Knox (zoned to CP)
TJaggie14
2:03p, 5/21/23
Both schools suck. Your sister should move to El Paso, way better schools out there!
bigjag19
3:17p, 5/21/23
If she's too poor to afford Cooper than why bother moving
Dill-Ag13
9:54p, 5/21/23
In reply to bigjag19
I went to Cooper for two years of HS. Was $18k about 15 years ago. It's $32k a year now. Wtf.
TexAgs1992
9:54p, 5/21/23
In reply to BCG Disciple
BCG Disciple said:

I'd say schools are relatively close. CP is slightly more diverse because it pulls from the front of the woodlands. CP is about 25% smaller I think. CP also has the academy of science and technology, which pulls kids stem nerds from all area schools and places them at CP (including woodlands). So, in short, your own set of circumstances and kids should be the deciding factor, as the overall schools are close. I feel like TWHS is perceived to be slightly better historically.

As far as junior highs, I'd probably put McCullough ahead of Knox, if that's a factor.

Said differently, I'm not sure I'd let the high school decide the home I wanted. You're in a pretty close comparison.
This is spot on.
TexasAggie81
5:32p, 5/27/23
CP has an IB program. TWHS does not. The hate between those two schools is real.
chap
7:56p, 5/27/23
In reply to TexasAggie81
TexasAggie81 said:

CP has an IB program.

Is this new?
AndesAg92
3:15p, 5/30/23
Woodlands people are strange imo. Odd mix up there. And they are from "The Woodlands". Why are we discussing this on the Houston board?
YNWA.2013
12:53a, 5/11/24
Making the move to The Woodlands too. My kids are way too young to think about high school as it will be another decade. But the consensus I seem to get online is CP is better academically and TWHS excels more athletically. But both would rank high in academics in comparison to other Houston, Spring Branch, Magnolia, and Conroe ISD schools. Does this feel true to others who live here or have gone through it?
-FTA c/o 2013
Farmer1906
10:17p, 5/11/24
Both are great schools but TWHS has better slightly academics as far graduation rate, % doing AP, & general math science and reading proficiencies.

CP is more diverse, has a slightly better teacher to student ratio, and a little less well off student body.
BMX Bandit
5:51a, 5/12/24
In reply to AndesAg92
AndesAg92 said:

Woodlands people are strange imo. Odd mix up there. And they are from "The Woodlands". Why are we discussing this on the Houston board?

because it's called The Woodlands and this forum is labeled for "Houston, The Woodlands, Missouri City, NASA, etc."
BCG Disciple
8:19p, 5/12/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Making the move to The Woodlands too. My kids are way too young to think about high school as it will be another decade. But the consensus I seem to get online is CP is better academically and TWHS excels more athletically. But both would rank high in academics in comparison to other Houston, Spring Branch, Magnolia, and Conroe ISD schools. Does this feel true to others who live here or have gone through it?
Yes regarding academics compared to the schools listed. But as it relates to the two schools in The Woodlands, they are very comparable for elementary schools and intermediate. Hard to really distinguish overall - just look up the elementary and intermediate to which your property is zoned - likely top tier. The front side of old Woodlands is the worst in the area (Hailey Elem, Wilkerson Intermediate are the only B's on HAR ratings).
YNWA.2013
7:53a, 5/30/24
In reply to BCG Disciple
Looks like we'll be zoned to Ride Elementary. Drove by it yesterday just to see where it was. Small, older building but if the the teachers are good, attentive, and caring & my kids are in a safe environment, I don't really care what the building looks like.
TexAgs1992
9:11a, 5/30/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Looks like we'll be zoned to Ride Elementary. Drove by it yesterday just to see where it was. Small, older building but if the the teachers are good, attentive, and caring & my kids are in a safe environment, I don't really care what the building looks like.
Sally K. Ride is excellent.
Elder_LarryII
2:44p, 5/30/24
In reply to BCG Disciple
BCG Disciple said:

YNWA.2013 said:

Yes regarding academics compared to the schools listed. But as it relates to the two schools in The Woodlands, they are very comparable for elementary schools and intermediate. Hard to really distinguish overall - just look up the elementary and intermediate to which your property is zoned - likely top tier. The front side of old Woodlands is the worst in the area (Hailey Elem, Wilkerson Intermediate are the only B's on HAR ratings).
Wilkeson, Knox grad here nothing wrong with those schools.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings