And so it begins ... Bad news for the bike laners
19,652 Views | 197 Replies
Jugstore Cowboy
11:18p, 3/20/24
In reply to ThunderCougarFalconBird
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

Looks like he may be going down in terms of city prestige but up in terms of annoying/unwanted pet project prestige. Don't be surprised if his next gig is in lowly Lubbock, Texas but championing installation and construction of light rail lines.

You're right; he probably got his credentials in places like Ogdenville before coming to Springfield to pull one over on the yokels.
Ryan the Temp
11:56p, 3/20/24
In reply to Bondag
Bondag said:

Ryan the Temp said:

I sent a three page letter to Whitmire today detailing many things wrong with the project, most of which we predicted would happen.

I hope he takes a really critical look at the negative impacts.

Did you include Bakery Donut in your letter?
I stuck primarily to safety issues, since it was sold as a safety project. I detailed how many aspects of the project have made 11th LESS safe and how the public and city officials were intentionally misled and kept in the dark about project meetings.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
7:51a, 3/21/24
In reply to Jugstore Cowboy
DustysLineup said:

Looks like he may be going down in terms of city prestige but up in terms of annoying/unwanted pet project prestige. Don't be surprised if his next gig is in lowly Lubbock, Texas but championing installation and construction of light rail lines.

You're right; he probably got his credentials in places like Ogdenville before coming to Springfield to pull one over on the yokels.
again over target but it was North Haverbrook instead of Ogdenville.
chico
8:29a, 3/21/24
In reply to Ryan the Temp
Ryan the Temp said:

Bondag said:

Ryan the Temp said:

I sent a three page letter to Whitmire today detailing many things wrong with the project, most of which we predicted would happen.

I stuck primarily to safety issues, since it was sold as a safety project. I detailed how many aspects of the project have made 11th LESS safe and how the public and city officials were intentionally misled and kept in the dark about project meetings.
it was sold as a safety project. I attended a neighborhood session early on and the emphasis was that there were too many car crashes on 11th. Apparently cars turning left would get rear-ended or the car behind would swerve to the right lane, avoiding the car turning left ahead, and then they'd hit a car in the right lane. Plus they mentioned avg car speed was well over 30mph, not allowing enough reaction time to avoid the crashes.

I'm not sure if car crashes have reduced/increased since the changes or not. But that would be a statistic to put into the argument.
CDUB98
9:39a, 3/21/24
Good time to give another thumbs up to Chewy for his efforts to fight the original boondoggle. They should have listened to him.
Ryan the Temp
10:16p, 3/21/24
In reply to chico
chico said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Bondag said:

Ryan the Temp said:

it was sold as a safety project. I attended a neighborhood session early on and the emphasis was that there were too many car crashes on 11th. Apparently cars turning left would get rear-ended or the car behind would swerve to the right lane, avoiding the car turning left ahead, and then they'd hit a car in the right lane. Plus they mentioned avg car speed was well over 30mph, not allowing enough reaction time to avoid the crashes.

I'm not sure if car crashes have reduced/increased since the changes or not. But that would be a statistic to put into the argument.
55-60% of the crashes along 11th street occurred at w.11th and N. Shepherd, yet they included those crashes in the stats for the other two miles of roadway. It was pure manipulation of the numbers the whole time.
Jugstore Cowboy
10:30p, 3/21/24

Quote:

again over target but it was North Haverbrook instead of Ogdenville.

Lyle sold monorails to both. Brockway too.

Irish 2.0
9:02a, 3/22/24
In reply to Bondag
Bondag said:

Ryan the Temp said:

I hope they can continue to hold on. I swing by every other week and get the sausage, jalapeno and cheese klobasnik with the strip of bacon on top. The little Vietnamese lady is always so sweet.
The Wonderer
9:38a, 3/22/24
In reply to Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0 said:

Bondag said:

Ryan the Temp said:

I hope they can continue to hold on. I swing by every other week and get the sausage, jalapeno and cheese klobasnik with the strip of bacon on top. The little Vietnamese lady is always so sweet.
htxag09
9:47a, 3/22/24
Ryan the Temp said:

chico said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Bondag said:

Ryan the Temp said:

55-60% of the crashes along 11th street occurred at w.11th and N. Shepherd, yet they included those crashes in the stats for the other two miles of roadway. It was pure manipulation of the numbers the whole time.
Not defending the government or arguing their ability to be corrupt....

But what's the issue with considering crashes at 11th and N. Shepherd? I mean I can see an argument that the project impacts that. As long as they still consider those crashes when looking at any impacts in the future. If it didn't impact it, the data will show that.

Just like I also think they should consider data on 10th, 12th, etc. as more traffic is on those streets now.
BMX Bandit
10:18a, 3/22/24
In reply to The Wonderer
Nothing worse in the world than the guy that insists on not calling it a kolache.

CDUB98
10:26a, 3/22/24
In reply to htxag09
Quote:

But what's the issue with considering crashes at 11th and N. Shepherd?

Because the actual construction didn't touch this intersection's function.
htxag09
10:31a, 3/22/24
In reply to CDUB98
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

But, just to play devils advocate, before the changes, when 11th was 2 lanes each way, you could easily argue cars sped more often. Cars speeding west bound and entering the shepherd intersection are more likely to run red lights/cause accidents.

Or the argument that you're making 11th less of a thoroughfare and ideally have more cars using I10 than side streets.

Not saying either of these are the case. Just saying I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility and don't necessarily disagree with looking at this intersection in the data as long you aren't all of a sudden excluding it now.
CDUB98
10:33a, 3/22/24
In reply to htxag09
IIRC, it's still 2 lanes rigjt at the intersection, and knowing human nature, they're more likely to get angry and gun the light after sitting in one lane of forever traffic.
htxag09
10:38a, 3/22/24
In reply to CDUB98
CDUB98 said:

IIRC, it's still 2 lanes rigjt at the intersection, and knowing human nature, they're more likely to get angry and gun the light after sitting in one lane of forever traffic.

It is two lanes there, but it goes to two lanes like 100' before the intersection.

I will say, as someone who uses 11th everyday and despises those bike lanes, traffic undeniably is slower and following the actual speed limit, for the most part.

But, either way, by including the data of that intersection it makes this straightforward and less of a guessing game. Are there less accidents now than before?
Ryan the Temp
10:39a, 3/22/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

But, just to play devils advocate, before the changes, when 11th was 2 lanes each way, you could easily argue cars sped more often. Cars speeding west bound and entering the shepherd intersection are more likely to run red lights/cause accidents.

Or the argument that you're making 11th less of a thoroughfare and ideally have more cars using I10 than side streets.

Not saying either of these are the case. Just saying I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility and don't necessarily disagree with looking at this intersection in the data as long you aren't all of a sudden excluding it now.
The one lane is now wider than each of the previous two lanes were. During off-peak hours, especially at night, this increases the 85th percentile speed, which any traffic engineer could have predicted. The wider the lanes, the faster the traffic. They hide this by including peak hour traffic in the average speed numbers. The hundreds or thousands of cars moving at 10 mph at 5:00 PM drives the average down so those driving 40-60 mph have very little impact on the average.
Irish 2.0
10:48a, 3/22/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Nothing worse in the world than the guy that insists on not calling it a kolache.

Grow up in Shiner and be corrected by a bunch of old Czech ladies and let me know your opinion then.
drumboy
10:51a, 3/22/24
Ryan the Temp said:

htxag09 said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

The one lane is now wider than each of the previous two lanes were. During off-peak hours, especially at night, this increases the 85th percentile speed, which any traffic engineer could have predicted. The wider the lanes, the faster the traffic. They hide this by including peak hour traffic in the average speed numbers. The hundreds or thousands of cars moving at 10 mph at 5:00 PM drives the average down so those driving 40-60 mph have very little impact on the average.
With all of the curbs in the middle of the road in various spots on 11th if you're going fast at night you're a lot more likely to lose a wheel
Irish 2.0
10:53a, 3/22/24
In reply to drumboy
Just ask SJL!
BMX Bandit
10:59a, 3/22/24
In reply to Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Grow up in Shiner and be corrected by a bunch of old Czech ladies and let me know your opinion then.

Facts don't change.
Irish 2.0
11:47a, 3/22/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Irish 2.0 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Facts don't change.

The fact that I'm right - Sure. That doesn't change.
Ryan the Temp
12:26p, 3/22/24
In reply to Irish 2.0
inconvenient truth
8:05a, 3/23/24
In reply to Irish 2.0
Irish 2.0 said:

Bondag said:

Ryan the Temp said:

Hey look, a kolache dork
Irish 2.0
11:00a, 3/23/24
In reply to inconvenient truth
I'll take it. Been called much worse. Much worse by at least a half dozen on this thread.
Furlock Bones
11:31a, 3/23/24
I'm still pissed Buccees did away with the GOAT kolache. Pepperjack cheese and sausage. Massive mistake.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
4:32p, 4/8/24
So what "genius" came up with the idea to close off half of Milam and Travis streets to only busses rendering them two (and often one) lane roads during rush hour? That individual should be dragged out into the street and given an atomic wedgie.
Bondag
4:37p, 4/8/24

So what "genius" came up with the idea to close off half of Milam and Travis streets to only busses rendering them two (and often one) lane roads during rush hour? That individual should be dragged out into the street and given an atomic wedgie.

Is that enforced? I am sure I will get a ticket tomorrow, but what cop wants to hold up traffic there to write that ticket?
Ryan the Temp
6:42p, 4/8/24

They actually removed some of the bus only lane markings on the north end of Milam after less than a month.

It's like the mobility plan is, "Let's try this **** and see what happens."
AgLiving06
6:53p, 4/8/24
In reply to Bondag
Bondag said:

Is that enforced? I am sure I will get a ticket tomorrow, but what cop wants to hold up traffic there to write that ticket?

This is how I got a ticket downtown. Cop pulled me over when I was in an unmarked bus only lane, with no bus around.

Some cop is going be willing to do it to rack up OT going to court for all the bogus charges.
Ryan the Temp
2:44p, 4/24/24
The Public Works director tendered her resignation today.
Irish 2.0
3:27p, 4/24/24
Ryan the Temp said:

The Public Works director tendered her resignation today.
It is a start...I want more resignations!
Texan_Aggie
4:30p, 4/24/24
Alex Mealer is also on METRO board and has been very vocal on social media about how bad 11th street is. She lives in Woodland Heights so is personally connected, I hope this means she'll push through some change.
wessimo
7:03p, 4/27/24
Whitmire going after Shepherd Durham now.

Irish 2.0
7:05p, 4/27/24
In reply to wessimo
They need to give it at least 3 lanes for vehicles. That leaves like 12-15ft for bikes and pedestrians. It is still doable with the current layout w/o much needed besides different paint. If they keep it at two lanes on Durham/Shepherd, it will be absolute hell.
Bondag
7:08p, 4/27/24
Houston is too hot and rainy for pedestrian traffic. Took spread out too.

We have miles of trails for exercise, but it's not going to replace cars.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings