Well ... Bye
6,698 Views | 51 Replies
Ryan the Temp
11:58a, 4/12/24
Just saw this article today, although it's from November.

Couple moves from Portland, Oregon to Houston, immediately regrets it, and goes back to Portland.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moved-houston-regretted-it-went-back-portland-2023-11

There were a few nuggets that stood out to me that demonstrate how the author poorly planned her transition to Houston and blames Houston for her failures.
Quote:

I stood out for wearing pants and Nikes to the office instead of flowery dresses like my coworkers did; other women had beautiful, pageant-worthy waves, while I had an angled bob with an undercut.

I admired the style of the women around me, but I missed the casual, comfortable, and outdoorsy clothes people wear more often on the West Coast.
Quote:

I couldn't afford to ski the mountains in Oregon, but I could at least visit them and snowshoe. There aren't any mountains like that in Texas.
No ***** She didn't know that until she moved here?
Quote:

My daily Houston commute, which could take anywhere from one to three hours depending on my schedule, exhausted me. I thought I was choosing a central location for our apartment, but the scale of Houston was greater than I expected.
She moved to Spring, which is hardly a central location, and anyone who has the ability to search for Houston, Texas on Google Maps could have told her that.
Quote:

But when I got to Spring, I found that adjacent to my 300-unit apartment complex was a farmhouse property with several smelly horses, and a FedEx warehouse complete with 18-wheeler traffic.
Again, Google Maps.
Quote:

I spent my higher salary on a second car, gas, tolls, more expensive car insurance, work lunches, happy hours, and networking.
Her poor choices aren't Houston's fault.

Perhaps it's just the planning nature of my personality, but I would never relocate halfway across the country without knowing exactly what I was getting myself into.
El Gallo Blanco
12:04p, 4/12/24
White liberals are the absolute worst.

Flashdiaz
12:04p, 4/12/24
good, hopefully they are highly influential and convince others to not move to Texas.
TexAgs1992
12:19p, 4/12/24
Laugh/cry. Hope she has a microphone out at the main square in downtown Portland and cries out how much Houston sucks to her counterparts.
Milwaukees Best Light
12:22p, 4/12/24
She should have to take some california libs with her.
Ryan the Temp
12:31p, 4/12/24
In reply to Milwaukees Best Light
Milwaukees Best Light said:

She should have to take some california libs with her.
Texas liberals are raging conservatives by California liberal standards.
Diggity
12:40p, 4/12/24
"In summer 2018, I was busy girlbossing hard"

It was nice of her to start the article with a sentence so obnoxious that I had no desire to finish.

Thanks for the highlights RTT!
I Am A Critic
1:14p, 4/12/24
And I thought this was going to be another RtT's "taking my balls and going home" threads.
Username checks out.
TXAG 05
1:35p, 4/12/24
"I can't believe this place I did absolutely no research on didn't meet my expectations!"

"I didn't like that I couldn't dress like a slob at work"

Good riddance.
Dill-Ag13
1:43p, 4/12/24
I can't believe in a conservative state that women are feminine and don't all look like Karens
CDUB98
2:02p, 4/12/24
In reply to Ryan the Temp
Or, perhaps.....hear me out...she's a dumbass.
maroon barchetta
2:15p, 4/12/24
In reply to CDUB98
CDUB98 said:

Or, perhaps.....hear me out...she's a dumbass.

I thought it was already established that she was a Portland liberal.
Jackal99
4:05p, 4/12/24
She sounds exhausting. And I bet she smells.
TarponChaser
4:06p, 4/12/24
In reply to Jackal99
Jackal99 said:

You don't appreciate the funk of patchouli and tofu?
BaileyAg
5:40p, 4/12/24
In reply to Jackal99
Jackal99 said:

And doesn't shave
12thMan9
6:22p, 4/12/24
In reply to BaileyAg
BaileyAg said:

Jackal99 said:

And doesn't shave
And she thinks the horses are the smell.....
Ronnie '88
bigjag19
6:31p, 4/12/24
She didn't like that people who weren't white actually existed and not just a pretend thing to care about like in Portland.
NoahAg
8:46p, 4/12/24
Traffic sucks but there's nowhere in or around Houston where it would take 3 hours to drive from Spring.
CDUB98
9:20p, 4/12/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

Traffic sucks but there's nowhere in or around Houston where it would take 3 hours to drive from Spring.

Except for accidents, which are nearly an everyday occurrence at the Shepard curve on 46.
TarponChaser
9:54p, 4/12/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

I found her LinkedIn and the offices she was commuting to are in Jersey Village. I don't see Spring to JV taking an hour.
Jackal99
10:35p, 4/12/24
In reply to TarponChaser
She's a woman, so double whatever time it should take, add a few minutes for crap, and that's probably what you wind up with.
Scruffy
6:59a, 4/13/24
Maybe she took the beltway the wrong way?
jh0400
8:16a, 4/13/24
In reply to bigjag19
bigjag19 said:

She didn't like that people who weren't white actually existed and not just a pretend thing to care about like in Portland.

If Portland, OR is anything like Portland, ME (haven't been to OR in several years), there are more Black Lives Matter signs than actual black people.
bigjag19
8:22a, 4/13/24
In reply to jh0400
Really the same city on opposite sides. Subarus aplenty, nary a razor to be found (men or women or insert other magical thing)
ThunderCougarFalconBird
9:00a, 4/13/24
In reply to Jackal99
Jackal99 said:

She's a woman, so double whatever time it should take, add a few minutes for crap, and that's probably what you wind up with.
starbucks drive thru adds a solid 15 minutes.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
9:02a, 4/13/24
In reply to Jackal99
Jackal99 said:

probably what actually happened is that her rather *****ly Portland demeanor was absolute poison to what is likely a well-presented but highly collegial Texas working environment. Probably turned out that after a few months it was apparent she was the needy/whiny/constant complaining workplace harpy and people simply stopped wanting to deal with her so they pushed her out.
Ghost91
9:19a, 4/13/24
In reply to Diggity
Diggity said:

It was nice of her to start the article with a sentence so obnoxious that I had no desire to finish.

Such a badass FIERCE girlboss, but can't afford to snow ski and is forced to just walk around in snowshoes?

The only thing I smell is dingbat.
sts7049
9:49a, 4/13/24
just imagine being her husband and knowing that's what he gets to f*** the rest of his miserable life
CDUB98
10:23a, 4/13/24
In reply to sts7049
sts7049 said:

just imagine being her husband and knowing that's what he gets to f*** the rest of his miserable life

You think she lets the patriarchy touch her? Nah, she fires up ol' George on the regular while he weeps in the fetal position next to her.
TarponChaser
10:35a, 4/13/24
In reply to Ghost91
Ghost91 said:

Diggity said:

Such a badass FIERCE girlboss, but can't afford to snow ski and is forced to just walk around in snowshoes?

The only thing I smell is dingbat.

I've known some seriously broke-ass bums back in our 20's who always had money to ski or surf or fish. In fact, they stayed broke-ass in jobs like waiting tables or cooking in restaurants because they had flexible schedules and they made just enough money to live and spent every other penny and waking moment pursuing their passion.

Sounds like her priorities are out of whack and she was spending all her money to look outdoorsy by being all bougie at REI.
maroon barchetta
11:26a, 4/13/24
In reply to TarponChaser
"All I need is a cool buzz, some tasty waves, and I'm fine."
tk for tu juan
12:47a, 4/15/24
She also wrote another article about it including mentioning our "outdated" voting process:
https://www.businessinsider.com/moved-texas-oregon-left-red-state-blue-politics-2024-2
TX04Aggie
7:08a, 4/15/24
In reply to tk for tu juan
I remember reading this article and between her being stupid and the journalist being stupid, I almost commented on the article itself. It was so full of fail and bad information. At least we have one less left coaster here, tell all your friends it sucks!
TXAG 05
7:11a, 4/15/24
In reply to tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan said:

She also wrote another article about it including mentioning our "outdated" voting process:
https://www.businessinsider.com/moved-texas-oregon-left-red-state-blue-politics-2024-2

The classic complaint of waiting all day to vote. Don't know where these people go, but I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes, even on Election Day.

Also, you are allowed to bring in a cheat sheet for your selections, so she made that up.

Hopefully she keeps writing these articles and it discourages the left coast nuts from moving here.
TX04Aggie
7:27a, 4/15/24
In reply to TXAG 05
Hah, my main thing was, you. LITERALLY have weeks to early vote, on everything, anywhere in Harris County.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings