TarponChaser said:

schmellba99 said:

94chem said:

TarponChaser said:

94chem said:

TarponChaser said:

94chem said:

Ag_07 said:

With our proximity to the coast I think we're severely lacking on quality mid-high end range seafood options.

If you wanna slum it Gillhooley's in San Leon but if dirty nasty dive bars with bad as food isn't you're deal Pier 6 in San Leon is a good option.
Houstonians are mostly afraid of sushi, which affects the fresh fish industry on the Gulf Coast.

Say what?

Given the number of great sushi places you're going to have to provide proof to back up your assertion.

No commercial sushi operations in the Gulf. The market won't support it. Have to go to CA or Japan. Many have tried. The fish are plentiful, but the Gulf Coast won't support it.

That's likely more because the most popular fish in sushi aren't exactly prevalent in the Gulf of Mexico. At least not on a commercial basis.

No salmon. And I don't believe there's bluefin tuna. We do get yellowfin and blackfin but I don't believe hamachi (yellowtail) is common at all. Plenty of Gulf-caught snapper goes for sushi though. Makes sense considering Japan is in the north Pacific and the traditional sushi species are more cold-ocean species than the Gulf.
Good point about the salmon. But the yellowfin has been tried, and there's just not the urgency at the shoreline to pay for the fresh fish. I think everything here is frozen. If it's fresh, you're paying through the teeth to get it flown in same day.
Houston (and most of the upper Texas gulf coast for that matter) doesn't have much of an industry for a fresh off the boat seafood market like you'll find in San Diego or Seattle. There ar a handful of places, but nothing that is kind of the central point, so most things get commercialized and sent to wholesalers.

Freeport did everything they could to shut down their wharfs and shrimping industry, now you have to go down to Matagorda and further south. to get anything fresh off the boat. A couple of places in Keemah, but none are major hubs. There was Boyd's in Texas City, but not sure if they really do a lot of off the boat business or if they are more of a wholesale market.

Galveston has a couple, but not many. One of the problems here is that the commercial fishing industry has done everything possible to control every aspect of the market, so places like Katie's Seafood won't ever get my business personally.

Excellent points.

I know some folks who frequently do snapper trips with Guindon's outfit. The folks at Circle H Outfitters work with Katie's too. I forget all the ins & outs but it's not a typical guide trip under state & federal regulations because these operations are purely commercial. So these folks go out and hammer the snapper. You might have 5 people fishing and they're bringing back 100 snapper. I think the hook is that they say you don't pay anything for the trip but you have to buy a certain amount of the catch from Katie's at whatever their price might be.

It's a completely BS end-around of the spirit of the regulations and fcks recreational fishermen while Guindon and his cronies lobby against recreational fishermen being able to do more than 2 snapper per day for a very short season.

Anyway, my overall objection was about the idea that "Houstonians are scared of sushi" when there's clearly a massive demand based on the restaurants.

Good discussion. This is the kind of stuff that the Houston Post used to write about. Local interest politics. I miss newspapers...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
BMX Bandit
11:50a, 4/26/24
In reply to 94chem
Quote:

Meh, you know what I mean
I don't think anyone knows what you mean. You sound like a psychopath.

schmellba99
12:14p, 4/26/24
In reply to DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop said:

There is an awful lot of terrible sushi out there though. Maybe people are snake bit.
Replace sushi with literally any type of meal you can think of and the statement is still true.

I'll be honest, I don't think there is such a thing as good sushi. Not my thing at all, never will be. Just like raw oysters aren't something I'll ever enjoy.

I also think sushi, by in large, is one of those trendy things that people think they have to like because reasons, not because they actually like it. Saying they love sushi makes them more cosmopolitan and refined in their minds, kind of like craft beer dorks who geek out of IPA's.
TarponChaser
12:22p, 4/26/24
In reply to schmellba99
schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

There is an awful lot of terrible sushi out there though. Maybe people are snake bit.
Replace sushi with literally any type of meal you can think of and the statement is still true.

I'll be honest, I don't think there is such a thing as good sushi. Not my thing at all, never will be. Just like raw oysters aren't something I'll ever enjoy.

I also think sushi, by in large, is one of those trendy things that people think they have to like because reasons, not because they actually like it. Saying they love sushi makes them more cosmopolitan and refined in their minds, kind of like craft beer dorks who geek out of IPA's.

Maybe to some folks but I could probably live on good sashimi. I don't need all the different rolls, just good fresh fish.
DiskoTroop
12:25p, 4/26/24
schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

Definitely some of that happening. Some do actually like it though. And for those who like it there is definitely good and bad sushi. It comes down to quality every time.

Even the riceā€¦ proper sushi rice is short grain/high gluten and has vinegar and sugar in it. Some places use crap medium grain rice and put nothing in it. It sticks together because of the broken grains releasing extra gluten and it turns out gummy.
TX04Aggie
12:47p, 4/26/24
I could eat sushi everyday in some capacity if I could! As mentioned earlier a lot of the nicer reataurants in town may not be exclusively do seafood but they do it very very well, leaning into the fact we are on the Gulf Coast and it is in our DNA. Also agree, because of our location with Mexican and Louisiana influences with our unique Vietnamese twists, our seafood options are some of the most fusiony amd tasty food genres out there. And Houston does that very well. I also like Eunice in addition to the others already mentioned. I really miss the OG Liberty Kitchen in the Heights. I probably go to Field and Tides the most now out of all the ones already listed.
94chem
1:10p, 4/26/24
In reply to TarponChaser
TarponChaser said:

schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

Maybe to some folks but I could probably live on good sashimi. I don't need all the different rolls, just good fresh fish.

Yeah, I used to order regularly from Catalina Ocean Products. Loved their salmon products especially. Never found anybody local. A lot of their salmon was farm-raised. I don't know that it matters.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
TarponChaser
1:25p, 4/26/24
In reply to 94chem
94chem said:

Yeah, I used to order regularly from Catalina Ocean Products. Loved their salmon products especially. Never found anybody local. A lot of their salmon was farm-raised. I don't know that it matters.

It's a totally different discussion but there are plenty of people up in arms over farm-raised salmon and the alleged environmental impacts.

I'm sympathetic to the concerns if there's an actual scientific basis but realistically, how are we supposed to feed 8B+ people on this planet without agriculture and aquaculture on an industrial scale? I don't have proof but my gut tells me that it can't be done.
TarponChaser
1:31p, 4/26/24
Back to the OP's question- I can't vouch for how it is now because it's been probably 15 years but Joyce's off San Felipe & Winrock was always good. Old school seafood and steak spot. It was very popular with the older Tanglewood crowd when we used to live in that area.
94chem
5:00p, 4/26/24
In reply to TarponChaser
If you enjoy thinking about ag production, sustainability, and those types of questions, I highly recommend The Biggest Little Farm. So many moving parts about how to feed people:

-distribution
-genetic modification
-pest resistance, weed resistance, microbial resistance
-water use/availability
-political unrest/theft
-food crops for fuel, and resultant tightening of food supply when stuff like Ukraine happens
-ocean acidification, coral reef destruction, overfishing
-scalability of sustainable agriculture (the movie makes you wonder about that)
-Haber Bosch fertilizer production, green hydrogen
-other climate change

As a scientist, this stuff is pretty interesting. As a Christian, God's gift of innovation ingrained in the human spirit always seems to find a way to produce enough food.

94chem,
Chewy
9:15p, 4/26/24
Joyce's
94chem
10:48p, 4/26/24
Went to Goode tonight. The redfish nuggets were nice. A little airier than the last 27 pounder I made tacos with. That big shrimp cocktail ceviche dish was good. I need to make that with homemade tortilla chips for the next Superbowl party. Everything on the fried seafood platter was cooked perfectly. The stuffed crabshell was my favorite - didn't want to mess it up with cocktail sauce. Beer selection was modest, but Saint Arnold's amber draft is always a good(e) choice. I liked it better than Pappas, except I loved Pappas soft shell crab. There was also a Chinese place in River oaks a few blocks from the indy theater that had a great soft shell crab as well. And Stingaree down at Crystal Beach makes and awesome soft shell crab taco...but I digress.
94chem,
Bill Clinternet
12:05a, 4/27/24
Do you like fried garbage or actual seafood?
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
94chem
12:21a, 4/27/24
In reply to Bill Clinternet
Bill Clinternet said:

Do you like fried garbage or actual seafood?

After your mother dropped you, why did your father still feel the need to run over you?
94chem,
Bill Clinternet
12:57a, 4/27/24
In reply to 94chem
So do you like actual seafood or fried garbage?
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
bularry
8:42a, 4/27/24
In reply to IDaggie06
IDaggie06 said:

bularry said:

Little's and Navy Blue probably best for finer dining seafood. Balboa supposedly pretty good, but I have not been there.

Lots of good restaurants have fish on their menu, places like Riel, Rosie Cannonball, Ostia, etc. So lots of seafood out there.

We found our inside the loop snob
just near where I live so places I know.....I'm but a humble man
bularry
8:46a, 4/27/24
In reply to schmellba99
schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

sushi isn't trendy. It has been a part of diets around the world for literally centuries in some form or another.

I enjoy a lot of sushi, I like the flavor and texture. I don't eat it a lot because it can be expensive, but I really like it and I'm too old to give a **** about trendy.
94chem
12:49p, 4/27/24
In reply to bularry
bularry said:

schmellba99 said:

DiskoTroop said:

sushi isn't trendy. It has been a part of diets around the world for literally centuries in some form or another.

I enjoy a lot of sushi, I like the flavor and texture. I don't eat it a lot because it can be expensive, but I really like it and I'm too old to give a **** about trendy.

It's funny how when foods become more mainstream, they lose the "country of origin" shtick. When I was a kid in Fort Worth, Italian places emphasized "authentic" Italy , and Mexican restaurants were measured by how much "Mexico" they could conjure. Now we know that authentic Italian comes from NJ, authentic Mexican comes from Texas, and authentic sushi comes from CA. Thai is an interesting study, as it is only 30 years old, but is still managed by Thailand. Foods immigrate the same ways as people. Brisket is just as diverse as all the peoples of Texas who invented it - black, Hispanic, Jewish, German, Czech, Polish, cowboy...
94chem,
Gator92
3:21p, 4/27/24
Monument Inn

EOT
94chem
3:44p, 4/27/24
In reply to Gator92
Gator92 said:

Monument Inn

EOT

Love that place. Try Stingaree if you never have. Same vibe, but on Bolivar.

Love the mix of shift workers in FRC, blue hairs, families, and business meetings during lunch at The Monument Inn.

Used to love this place called Hurricane Tita's in Anahuac, but it went out of business.
94chem,
AustinCountyAg
7:51p, 4/27/24
Wife and I ended up at Goode Co today. It was excellent. Campachena was perfect and her fried fish was great. Even sprung for dessert and got the margarita pie. Zero complaints
Bill Clinternet
8:47p, 4/27/24
The best seafood dish by far in all of Houston is served at Chefs Table at Vintage Park. Worth the drive to the place to eat it.

https://www.chefstablehouston.com/items/cape-point-crossing
DiskoTroop
11:57p, 4/27/24
In reply to Bill Clinternet
Bill Clinternet said:

The best seafood dish by far in all of Houston is served at Chefs Table at Vintage Park. Worth the drive to the place to eat it.

I'm not gonna disagree with this. My wife won't order anything else at that place.
Buford T. Justice
8:24a, 4/28/24
Someone posted a similar thread on the CS board, maybe it was the OP. What was offered, that I'm surprised hasn't popped up here was, the Monument Inn.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
SjAg
8:49a, 4/28/24
In reply to Buford T. Justice
Dear Buford. Please scroll up.
Gator92
10:10a, 4/28/24
In reply to Buford T. Justice
Buford T. Justice said:

Someone posted a similar thread on the CS board, maybe it was the OP. What was offered, that I'm surprised hasn't popped up here was, the Monument Inn.
https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3457097/replies/67458249
Buford T. Justice
10:38a, 4/28/24
Well excuse me folks. I got my boards crossed up.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
DiskoTroop
8:52p, 4/28/24
Had fish and chips again tonight at Kenny and Ziggy's. Chips are 6/10 but fish is awesome.
Bill Clinternet
9:04p, 4/28/24
In reply to DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop said:

Bill Clinternet said:

I'm not gonna disagree with this. My wife won't order anything else at that place.

Your wife is correct sir. I travel up there from inside the loop once a month to have it. Next level dining.
Marauder Blue 6
10:12p, 4/28/24
In reply to DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop said:

Had fish and chips again tonight at Kenny and Ziggy's. Chips are 6/10 but fish is awesome.
I know it may sound crazy but the fish & chips at Culver's is pretty good when you're back up on the Upper East Side.
Jugstore Cowboy
10:35p, 4/28/24
In reply to schmellba99

Quote:

Yeah, you can't throw a rock without hitting a sushi joint it seems.

I"m assuming the poster thinks a real sushi joint must be something like you'll find in Tokyo and anything else really doesn't count or something like that.
It's not a real sushi place if I can't eat a live fish.

DiskoTroop
11:05p, 4/28/24
In reply to Marauder Blue 6
Marauder Blue 6 said:

DiskoTroop said:

I know it may sound crazy but the fish & chips at Culver's is pretty good when you're back up on the Upper East Side.

Yep if I'm craving fish and chips but don't want to make the run for some of my favorite spots I can quell it there off Northpark.
Marauder Blue 6
11:11p, 4/28/24
In reply to DiskoTroop
DiskoTroop said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

DiskoTroop said:

Yep if I'm craving fish and chips but don't want to make the run for some of my favorite spots I can quell it there off Northpark.

What are your other spots?
DiskoTroop
11:36p, 4/28/24
Kenny and Ziggy's as mentioned is my current favorite but Redfish Grill on 249 at Cypresswood does a damn fine job too. Red Lion has good product but they like to serve it on a plate rather than paper so the bottom gets sweaty and you lose the breading every time. Lastly, not a true fish and chips but I do love the fish at Mambo's Seafood with malt vinegar and some of that Mexican style cocktail sauce.

Again that's fish and chips only. Can't endorse other seafoods at these places on a higher level, though, Mambo style shrimp are bomb.
AgCPA95
5:57a, 4/29/24
In reply to Marauder Blue 6
Marauder Blue 6 said:

DiskoTroop said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

DiskoTroop said:

What are your other spots?

I had St Arnold's fish and chips with peas recently and they were pretty spot on.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings