1836 Texas Kitchen
179,346 Views | 1210 Replies
AggieGunslinger
11:14p, 5/10/19
It seems like south Tyler is over saturated with retail space.
jickyjack1
12:21a, 5/11/19
Maybe things will start flowing back toward the historic downtown a little. It would require some clever marketing, but one would think development costs would be an attraction. I've got to say I thought the People's Petroleum Building would be a colossal flop, but the developers have evidently done a heck of a job (I realize it's not retail, but still.)
RockOn
1:18p, 5/11/19
I'm a big fan of the downtown area and azalea district. Living and working downtown has been very enjoyable. I sometimes forget how bad south tyler traffic is until I have to venture down there.
AGC
11:16p, 5/11/19
In reply to jickyjack1
jickyjack1 said:

Maybe things will start flowing back toward the historic downtown a little. It would require some clever marketing, but one would think development costs would be an attraction. I've got to say I thought the People's Petroleum Building would be a colossal flop, but the developers have evidently done a heck of a job (I realize it's not retail, but still.)

Lots of retired old money that's gotten bored or doesn't want to be harassed by their wives holing up there. And chic fil a of course.
AGC
11:16p, 5/11/19
In reply to AggieGunslinger
AggieGunslinger said:

It seems like south Tyler is over saturated with retail space.

Retail and office between OJV and broadway.
Mike92
12:51p, 5/13/19
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

Pizza place on the downtown square is closed. Sounds like disagreements among owners.
My son really liked their pesto pasta. The amount of seating seemed too small to me though.
Dro07
3:30p, 5/13/19
wow cant believe it closed so quickly. I thought the owners were husband and wife?
AggieGunslinger
3:58p, 5/13/19
In reply to AGC
Agreed. I assume that someone is doing some sort of research into what is needed but sometimes I have to wonder.
RockOn
9:38a, 5/14/19
In reply to Dro07
There was a third person that unfortunately ruined it for the husband and wife.

Their food really was good.
RockOn
9:41a, 5/14/19
Sometimes a sales pitch is packaged as research.
AGC
10:05a, 5/14/19
AggieGunslinger said:

Agreed. I assume that someone is doing some sort of research into what is needed but sometimes I have to wonder.

I wouldn't assume that. There's not a lot of great research to be had in this market. Burns publishes a survey every year but beyond that it's sparse. Lots of years old spec retail in newer areas (OJV) that still has first gen space with more retail on the way too. Though I will say there's a lot more remote talent taking small office space that helps this town than in the past. Remote work is a boon for medium sized towns.
Josepi
4:44p, 5/14/19
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

There was a third person that unfortunately ruined it for the husband and wife.

Their food really was good.
I have heard they are trying to put together an investor group to try and reopen. I hope they are able to. It was one of our favorite new restaurants in town.
UncleDave
5:43a, 5/29/19
Manny's Tacos to Chez Bazan building? (heard there was a sign there)
Stive
6:05a, 5/29/19
In reply to UncleDave
Where is Mannys?
UncleDave
8:46a, 5/29/19
I think the current restaurant is at Fifth/Beckham. My uneducated guess is that the taco place going in to the Chez Bazan on Old Bullard is a new venture.
J_Landes89
9:14p, 5/29/19
In reply to UncleDave
Yes, more like a tacos to go type setup instead of a full restaurant
Dro07
9:20p, 5/29/19
I'm all about a good taco shop, emphasis on good
AggieGunslinger
1:43p, 5/30/19
The new taco shop behind The Stand is pretty good. Definitely good enough to not have to drive any further North to get tacos.
Dro07
1:47p, 5/30/19
Didn't know about this place and just looked them up. I wish they would have barbacoa tacos but I will have to check them out.
RockOn
4:25p, 5/30/19
Haven't found any new taco places is in the 75702. There is a place behind Los Gueros on Vine in a turqoise building that was good. Mi Mexico Lindo and the panaderia de Nuevo Leon are still my favorites. The papusas at Rufis are excellent too.
AGC
4:33p, 5/30/19
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

Haven't found any new taco places is in the 75702. There is a place behind Los Gueros on Vine in a turqoise building that was good. Mi Mexico Lindo and the panaderia de Nuevo Leon are still my favorites. The papusas at Rufis are excellent too.

My stomach was iffy after turquoise building tacos. Not sure if I'll work up the courage to go back or not.
RockOn
4:54p, 5/30/19
Yeah "good" is like a 5/10 for me.

Recently went to DJ Mariscos and their fish tacos Villa style were excellent.
Mike92
2:18p, 6/17/19
Anyone tried Bella Italian Cafe at the old Gus's location?

http://www.bellaitaliancafe.com/

It's a little far from us since we've moved inside the loop, but the prices seem reasonable. I'd be willing to make the drive if they have lasagna that my son would find acceptable and can avoid going to Little Italy.

Two family-owned restaurants in Tyler offer new take on tacos, Italian food
Dro07
2:58p, 6/17/19
Not yet but its on my list. Tried the taco shop this weekend and its not bad! Tortas and Tacos are my fav so far and will prob keep showing up there.
RockOn
9:49p, 6/17/19
What's wrong with little Italy?
TOM-M
9:15a, 6/18/19
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

If you haven't tried it yet, there's a place a block or 2 South of Bow, West side of Palace that's pretty good.

Don't recall the name of it and it isn't what I'd call "new".
Mike92
9:28a, 6/18/19
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

The food doesn't seem that flavorful to me, particularly the tomato sauce. I think it needs more spices or something.
Stive
12:34p, 6/18/19
Don't hit the Taco Shop drive through if you're in a hurry. That being said, I REALLY liked their tacos.
RockOn
1:22p, 6/18/19
In reply to TOM-M
Taco church on west Wilson? That one's gone. They never had a health permit to begin with .

Or Catalina's on Palace?
TOM-M
2:43p, 6/18/19
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

Taco church on west Wilson? That one's gone. They never had a health permit to begin with .

Or Catalina's on Palace?
The one on Palace. Catalina's sounds correct now that you mentioned it.
Josepi
12:05p, 6/19/19
In reply to RockOn
RockOn said:

What's right with Little Italy? That would be a shorter list.
Stive
3:06p, 6/19/19
Ate at Bella today and wasn't a fan. I'll give them another try since they're new to the game and may have been having a bad day but it was average at best and there were a few bites that were pretty below average.

RockOn
4:03p, 6/19/19
Welp Lubys is definitely not reopening. They're tearing down the building today
RockOn
4:04p, 6/19/19
In reply to Josepi
Josepi said:

RockOn said:

What's right with Little Italy? That would be a shorter list.

I like it. But that might mean I've been in Tyler too long.
Dro07
6:25p, 6/19/19
Still love NY Pizza the best
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 18 of 35
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE