Key Allegro Bridge Update
17,376 Views | 135 Replies
YouBet
9:13p, 11/14/22
In reply to RethinkTheWeekend
RethinkTheWeekend said:

Its been only those 2-3 dudes working on it the last few times I have been there. January of next years seems optimistic at this point.

I did get the fun experience of being first in line, getting the green light, and then someone coming over the bridge about 5 seconds after the green.
Happened to me once as well. A little nerve wracking.
Brush Country Ag
7:45p, 11/16/22
Looks like they will be putting blacktop down tomorrow….have oil on the east side . Maybe done real soon!
busdriver88
8:40p, 11/17/22
In reply to Brush Country Ag
Brush Country Ag said:

Looks like they will be putting blacktop down tomorrow….have oil on the east side . Maybe done real soon!
This is important, but, what we all really need to know is after the recent shakeup at the Yacht Club, is the shrimp still the best on the coast?
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
Brush Country Ag
8:45p, 11/17/22
I actually had the hamburger steak with salad and broccoli au gratin. Shrimp were still real good last week, but seemed a bit smaller. Don't know if that's because of a little tighter budget, or the time of year. Still outstanding, though.
RethinkTheWeekend
7:52a, 11/18/22
I ate at the old chef/gm's new spot last night. Shrimp and steak were on point.
drmwvr
11:18a, 11/18/22
RethinkTheWeekend said:

I ate at the old chef/gm's new spot last night. Shrimp and steak were on point.
Where did they land? We are coming down today for thanksgiving and may check it out. thanks!
Brush Country Ag
12:23p, 11/18/22
Hate to say it , but I think things were a little better with GC there.
RethinkTheWeekend
12:53a, 11/20/22
GC and significant other landed in Victoria Tx.
YouBet
6:57a, 11/20/22
We ate there last night. Still pretty damn good. Wife got the shrimp. I opted for flounder.
Brush Country Ag
10:18a, 11/20/22
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

We ate there last night. Still pretty damn good. Wife got the shrimp. I opted for flounder.

How was the music?
YouBet
10:22a, 11/20/22
Brush Country Ag said:

YouBet said:

How was the music?
It was ok. Liked the song selection but the guy couldn't hit some of the notes but it was fine.

We were sitting on far end of dining room so frankly wasn't paying too much attention to it.
drmwvr
12:19p, 11/20/22
Ha, my wife and I had a quick drink at the bar before heading back to the house to cook for 8 college age kids at our house, I left around the second or third song (Fleetwood Mac song if I recall correctly). I guess we are going to have to introduce our selves to one another at some point!
Brush Country Ag
7:03p, 11/20/22
In reply to drmwvr
drmwvr said:

Ha, my wife and I had a quick drink at the bar before heading back to the house to cook for 8 college age kids at our house, I left around the second or third song (Fleetwood Mac song if I recall correctly). I guess we are going to have to introduce our selves to one another at some point!

Do you live there full time? We are down just about every week…mostly in middle of week, unless the kids want to fish.
YouBet
7:16p, 11/20/22
In reply to drmwvr
drmwvr said:

No kidding. I remember her singing Fleetwood Mac because I looked over after she started singing it.

We are going to be there again with my parent's Friday night.
YouBet
9:59a, 11/27/22
So we ate at KAYC twice last week. It was good. My only complaint is that they don't seem to be dimming the lights anymore for some reason. We have the candles at each table for a reason. Having all of the overhead lights on full blast really kills the ambience.
drmwvr
1:13p, 12/8/22
I heard a rumor that you can drive on the north side of the bridge now. Got to be close to completion
…I'll see it over the NYE holiday, hope the lights are gone by then!

It's come a long way from the OG bridge!
YouBet
6:20p, 12/10/22
Wife is there while I'm still in Dallas. Boo.

She reports that it's about there. They painted one side of it.
drmwvr
11:12p, 12/15/22

busdriver88
5:11a, 12/16/22
I have no idea why this excites me so, since I live in Lubbock and am 3-4 years away from building my retirement home down there........

But it does.

There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
YouBet
8:44a, 12/16/22
YES.

Can these guys do the Harbor Bridge in CRP?
RethinkTheWeekend
9:21a, 12/16/22
In reply to drmwvr
Just getting the temporary traffics light down will be a big win. I know first world problems.

Those 2-3 dudes must have had a busy week because it didn't look that close to being done 6 days ago.

Brush Country Ag
7:16p, 12/20/22
Bridge is open…NO temporary lights!!
YouBet
1:15p, 12/21/22
Brush Country Ag said:

Bridge is open…NO temporary lights!!
drmwvr
1:29p, 12/21/22
Halleluiah, I'm headed there later today to winterize my house and will report back!
YouBet
3:12p, 12/21/22
In reply to drmwvr
drmwvr said:

Halleluiah, I'm headed there later today to winterize my house and will report back!
Can you do mine? Best I got was getting my sprinkler guy to go turn off my sprinklers.

My landscape is going to be toast....AGAIN.
drmwvr
5:38p, 12/21/22
In reply to YouBet
PM me
drmwvr
5:39p, 12/21/22
And here it is in all its glory!

Brush Country Ag
8:03p, 12/21/22
We came down yesterday and worked all day covering plants etc. had dinner at the Club last night, but didn't want to wait until 6 to eat tonight. (Old folks too tired to wait !). Went to Las Comales about 4 …not bad trade!

Y'all have a Merry Christmas !
YouBet
1:07p, 1/5/23
Bridge is glorious.

Almost 100% loss of landscape with freeze though. Palms made it and that was it. Will be rethinking what we plant going forward.
RethinkTheWeekend
12:30p, 1/10/23
Not bridge related but if your a Rockport property owner curious to get your opinion on the short term rental ordinance? Its here if you haven't seen it: https://mcusercontent.com/ae016ee9b64e3d82093f96833/files/d18e10a2-1c02-dd04-58fa-dce777e05736/Draft_STR_Ordinance_11_18_2022.pdf

Review with different sections of the city (aka wards) started this week.
drmwvr
1:31p, 1/11/23
RethinkTheWeekend said:

Not bridge related but if your a Rockport property owner curious to get your opinion on the short term rental ordinance? Its here if you haven't seen it: https://mcusercontent.com/ae016ee9b64e3d82093f96833/files/d18e10a2-1c02-dd04-58fa-dce777e05736/Draft_STR_Ordinance_11_18_2022.pdf

Review with different sections of the city (aka wards) started this week.
Thanks for sharing. Just read and here are my quick thoughts:

It doesn't go far enough to control unruly renters (most are good though, just a few bad apples)
But, it is a start to at least have something on the books that in enforceable and more importantly, someone to contact if needed.
I don't think it goes far enough to control occupancy of a unit, but in the end, if you are ok stacking folks into your house, you will pay for it eventually with wear and tear.

Since there is a proposed occupancy tax, I'm sure the homeowners that rent will not like it and this will be hard to pass since there are a lot of STR in RP.

Owner here that does not rent so YMMV.

Most of my limited issues with renters get resolved by going over with a couple of beers and meeting them and discussing any items that need to be addressed. I am fortunate though to be surrounded by non renters except for catty corner across the canal. I have some friends with renters next door that have had some bad experiences.

This is a step in the right direction. Something needs to be done as STRs are not going away anytime soon.

EDIT- And post 100 for the win!
YouBet
3:52p, 1/11/23
In reply to drmwvr
Ditto. There are two houses catty corner across the canal from us that rent but houses in our immediate vicinity on our street do not rent and neither do we. Hasn't been too much of an issue for us so far.
Brush Country Ag
9:49p, 1/13/23
Getting a new restaurant manager. She previously owned and operated "The Mermaid" there in Rockport. Supposed to have new menu items…."fancy " them up some. Guess we will see how this change impacts the normal fare. Best leave the fried shrimp as is !
YouBet
10:00a, 1/14/23
Brush Country Ag said:

Getting a new restaurant manager. She previously owned and operated "The Mermaid" there in Rockport. Supposed to have new menu items…."fancy " them up some. Guess we will see how this change impacts the normal fare. Best leave the fried shrimp as is !

Is this the same gal that just came back for second GM stint or is this yet another new GM?

AND I WILL BURN THAT PLACE TO THE GROUND IF THEY TAKE AWAY THE FRIED SHRIMP.
Brush Country Ag
2:00p, 1/14/23
In reply to YouBet
New.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >