Port A Food

4,555 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by RethinkTheWeekend
plowe32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tell what you like on the island for seafood?
AnScAggie
AG
plowe32 said:

Tell what you like on the island for seafood?

We generally rotate between the following: Venetian Hot Plate
Castaways
Roosevelt's
Virginia's
Fins

ETA: Blue Water Cowboy can't believe I forgot them.
Lola68
What do you want to eat?

Tortuga, Black Marlin, La Playa, Irie's, Phoenix, Lisabella's, Port A Pizzeria, Spaghetti Works, Cody's. Just be prepared for waits on weekends, and holidays are insane. Tortuga and Lisabella's take reservations.
Potcake
AG
Irie's
mike_ags_fan12
No mention of Gumbles yet?
Froppe
AG
Some great recs here. I'd throw Trout Street Bar & Grill into the mix, as well.
woodyhayes
Port Arthur is not an island. But, Tia Juanitas on Jimmy Johnson Blvd. is really good.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Lisabellas is way over rated

Iriies
Tortuga
Shells
Lelos are our go tos
AnScAggie
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Iriies
Tortuga
Shells
Lelos are our go tos
Shells is gone, apparently it will now be a bierhaus when they finish the remodeling.
AG81
AG
Lola68 said:

What do you want to eat?

Tortuga, Black Marlin, La Playa, Irie's, Phoenix, Lisabella's, Port A Pizzeria, Spaghetti Works, Cody's. Just be prepared for waits on weekends, and holidays are insane. Tortuga and Lisabella's take reservations.

Phoenix takes reservations, ate there Friday night.
Potcake
AG
AnScAggie said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

Iriies
Tortuga
Shells
Lelos are our go tos
Shells is gone, apparently it will now be a bierhaus when they finish the remodeling.

Sadness, they were great.
Lola68
How was it?
AG81
AG
Lola68 said:

How was it?

It was okay. The rest of the group enjoyed it more than I did. It's a favorite of my brother in law.
phatpat21
Headed that way next month, we're staying on N Padre Island but want to go to Port A for a visit. What's the best place to eat for a family with 3 kids under 10? TIA
there were skittles in there!
Lola68
Try Virginia's On The Bay for views of marina, tankers heading into or out of port in Corpus and fishermen coming in with their catches. Kody's is kid friendly but no views of the water. Moby Dicks was kid friendly but I haven't been there in a long time. I'm sure others have additional suggestions.
phatpat21
Thank you very much!!
there were skittles in there!
Owlagdad
We ate at Virginias today- very good, Trout St same. Both have great atmosphere.
We tried Iries and were disappointed.
Tailgate88
AG
Owlagdad said:

We ate at Virginias today- very good, Trout St same. Both have great atmosphere.
Surprised by this, we've been several times (and headed back there next week) and thought it was fantastic. Did you have bad food, service, both?

Stingray's is a great local joint too - great wings (you get the whole wing) and the kids love their pizza.
Owlagdad
Tailgate88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Surprised by this, we've been several times (and headed back there next week) and thought it was fantastic. Did you have bad food, service, both?

Stingray's is a great local joint too - great wings (you get the whole wing) and the kids love their pizza.
I guess food was average or above average for my tacos. Wife's salad was meh. But they lost our order. I could see in kitchen, and the cooks were young and playing grabass. Other tables had to go ask about their order. I asked the kid who brought food out and he got on them and our food finally came. Good prices, though.
Lola68
Similar experiences last 2 times I've been there. Disappointing. Hopeful they return to what it was.
Tailgate88
AG
Owlagdad said:

Tailgate88 said:

Owlagdad said:

I guess food was average or above average for my tacos. Wife's salad was meh. But they lost our order. I could see in kitchen, and the cooks were young and playing grabass. Other tables had to go ask about their order. I asked the kid who brought food out and he got on them and our food finally came. Good prices, though.
Hmmm. Well I've been talking it up to our kids so we have plans to go there for lunch one day when we are down there next week, I guess we'll give it another shot. We have been really impressed the previous times we've been, hoping you just had an off day.

AnScAggie
AG
Lola68 said:

Similar experiences last 2 times I've been there. Disappointing. Hopeful they return to what it was.

Ever since they moved it's been off IMO.
Owlagdad
Tailgate88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Tailgate88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Hmmm. Well I've been talking it up to our kids so we have plans to go there for lunch one day when we are down there next week, I guess we'll give it another shot. We have been really impressed the previous times we've been, hoping you just had an off day.

Good Luck. I will say there was a party of 16-20 people at outside table. Of course all orders were separate and they were drinking, so some confusion. But still disappointed.
will.mcg
AG
Yeah, it seems like since they moved to the bigger location their staff turns over every month.
Tailgate88
AG
Owlagdad said:

Tailgate88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Tailgate88 said:

Owlagdad said:

Good Luck. I will say there was a party of 16-20 people at outside table. Of course all orders were separate and they were drinking, so some confusion. But still disappointed.
I didn't even know they had moved. We'll still check it out and I'll report back. Hopefully they've sorted things out.
Bird78
AG
We tried Grumbles for the first time two weeks ago. Very good food with a great view of the harbor. Service was very good too
Tailgate88
AG
Just back from a great week in Port A. Unfortunately the day we decided to go in for lunch Iries was closed so we didn't make it there this trip. StingRays was great as always.
Ag with kids
AG
Try the pizza at the Gaff. It's surprisingly good. And if you're there on the right weekend you can watch the belt sander races. Kids love that.

If you want to drive just a bit, there's also some good food on N Padre Island.
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
Tried Tortuga's for the first time a couple of weeks back and have been again. Excellent food and atmosphere. Black Marlin is always great. Both are priced higher than some of the other spots. Tortuga manages to pull off high end food with a nice but casual atmosphere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.