Waco Double Dave's closed.

2,096 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by agsalaska
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice little place to hit up the lunch buffet every once in a while. Hate that it closed. It's some off brand sushi place now.
EMY92
AG
It closed last fall. It went downhill after the original owner sold it to the franchisee out of Austin. When Dave owned it, I ate there way too often, even after cutting back, I was in there twice a week.

It went downhill pretty quickly after Dave sold it, during Covid, they kept the inside shut down for over a year, then when they finally re-opened the buffet, it wasn't good and the place was always dirty. I didn't eat there a single time in the final year it was open.

Also, the new place is some sleep ware type place, not sushi. Either way, I don't think it'll last long.
BohunkAg
AG
Man I guess I just noticed yesterday. I used to go get my hair cut at that SportsClips. Now I go somewhere else. I guess the sushi place is next door. Both Waco locations of Fuzzy's Tacos closed recently too. I think we are seeing the effects of COVID on a lot of these restaurants that are closing.
EMY92
AG
Covid didn't help Double Dave's, but it was only a contributing factor. They usually only had one employee working at a time, and the worker was driving in from Austin to work in Waco. It was not popular.

The Austin franchisee prefers to run his locations like a Dominos with no dine in. For the Waco location, a vast majority of the business came from the buffet. They could have re-opened the buffet 6 months before they did, it was the choice of the owner not to.
BohunkAg
AG
Yeah, the only reason I went in there was for the buffet. I thought that's the only reason anyone went to Double Dave's
Bulldog73
AG
We actually went twice in the year before they closed, and the second time I decided I wouldn't go back. Then they closed a few days later.
c-jags
I'd go way too often if there were one in Temple. We had Boss' and it was pretty good.

We have to go to Taylor a few times a year for sports and they have one with no buffet and I have no idea how it's in business.
GIF Reactor
AG
Have you tried the pizza rolls at Wings Pizza 'n Things? They are really good in my opinion. Their pizzas are all really good.
agsalaska
AG
GIF Reactor said:

Have you tried the pizza rolls at Wings Pizza 'n Things? They are really good in my opinion. Their pizzas are all really good.

Love that place. We go there quite a bit.
c-jags
GIF Reactor said:

everything they have is pretty good.

but it ain't no buffet where i can keep eating pepperoni rolls on repeat.

i heard they're moving out to 2305, in that concrete monstrosity across from WalMart.
agsalaska
AG
In an odd coincidence I'm driving by that monstrosity in about 45 seconds.

Don't TexAgs and drive people.
GIF Reactor
AG
c-jags said:

GIF Reactor said:

everything they have is pretty good.

but it ain't no buffet where i can keep eating pepperoni rolls on repeat.

i heard they're moving out to 2305, in that concrete monstrosity across from WalMart.
Yep, they have a pretty awesome space planned from what I saw. And they definitely need the space. Everybody wants to be out on 2305 I guess. It's the happenin' spot.
agsalaska
AG
I live on the very end by the park and when I moved here it took like 8 minutes to get to I35. Took me 20 yesterday and is only getting worse.

Progress. I guess.
GIF Reactor
AG
agsalaska said:

I live on the very end by the park and when I moved here it took like 8 minutes to get to I35. Took me 20 yesterday and is only getting worse.

Progress. I guess.
c-jags
agsalaska said:

In an odd coincidence I'm driving by that monstrosity in about 45 seconds.

Don't TexAgs and drive people.
i was there this morning for my kid's last orthodontic appointment.

i'm in north Temple and don't do a lot in that area much any more, but i'm not super happy about that whole thing because i feel like they built out crossroads to be a beautiful area and kept a lot of the pepper creek trees...

and then razed all the trees between the soccer and football fields and that pile of buildings and freaking apartments.

i'm a little bitter about it. i coached a flag football team for a school and that was our home field last year and this year. the trees hid all the construction. they took down the line of trees just for more parking spaces when they could have left them there and lost maybe 5-10 feet at worst and gave separation from the park and whatever all those things are out there. you at least still felt like you were in a "park" and not suburban sprawl.

i'm pretty libertarian and a capitalist at heart, but people cutting down trees unnecessarily for a few extra feet grinds my gears.
agsalaska
AG
I drove by crossroads the other day and saw what you are talking about.

That does suck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.