Talk to me about the 2002 Suburban
4,113 Views | 40 Replies
'03ag
8:56p, 2/24/24
Looking for a cash car for a while. Under $5k but still want to daily it. Family friend has a one owner 2002 Suburban, Z71 4x4, 174k miles.

This guy takes great care of his cars.

known issues

Won't go into 4 wheel hi or lo. Lights just flash. Do these get sticky with little use?
AC blows cold but the doors that move the air from floor/body/defrost don't work. Simple?
rear glass needs new struts
power mirrors don't work.
blown rear subwoofer
handful of interior switches could be replaced. passenger side door panel pull handle is broken.
typical seat wear. I would want new covers and probably a new cushion for the driver.
faded clearcoat on the hood and roof.

From my test drive I'd want to update some suspension/steering. New tie rods minimum. Otherwise everything seems pretty good for a 22 year old car.

All I've ever hear is these 5.3s pre-AFM are bulletproof. Drove it today and powertrain was really smooth, no visible oil leaks. Recent water pump. Anything in particular to look out for?
mm98
11:47p, 2/24/24
Flex fuel sensors are can be problematic. Point A Emgineering has a solution if that happens to you.

Best seats I've ever owned in a vehicle.

Edit - forgot my gauge cluster went out too. Also common. Very easy fix. Buy a replacement from Rockauto and send them the core back. Was maybe $300 and 15 minutes of my time

aggiedata
6:36a, 2/25/24
Just a comment that 2002 was in one of the best eras for Chevy trucks and SUVs
Jack Boyett
8:09a, 2/25/24
I've got 2 pickups from that era. I've replaced a pull handle. It's pretty simple. That's the only problem I had on your list.
harge57
8:19a, 2/25/24
All the issues you listed are very common for that model and relatively easy fixes. You should be able to find youtube videos for all of them.

I think the thermostat is a common failure in that era 5.3. Again an easy fix.
MouthBQ98
8:20a, 2/25/24
I still use my 2004 suburban as a farm truck. About 400,000 miles. All original drivetrain.

Yeah, little interior bits have needed attention, and the A/c is now glitchy. I think the compressor clutch has work so it doesn't engage reliably. The blend doors are pretty easy to replace except for the interior one in the center of the dash, but there is a md you can make to make it more directly accessible.

It's always been a good riding and comfortable to drive vehicle.
Ours is only 2wd so I can't explain the 4Wd issue but if it is vacuum actuated it probably has a bad deal or hose somewhere.
'03ag
10:28a, 2/25/24
Is there a go to mild lift for these that will ride close to OE? 2-3 inches max. 5100s?
Corps_Ag12
5:58p, 2/25/24
In reply to '03ag
'03ag said:

Is there a go to mild lift for these that will ride close to OE? 2-3 inches max. 5100s?

They're torsion sprung so you'd have to get new keys to keep it close to stock ride. You'll also want to put in longer shocks.
ttha_aggie_09
9:47p, 2/25/24
I had a 2003 Tahoe that went nearly 280k with very few issues. My dad drove it for first 170k and I did the rest. I am convinced Chevy won't ever be able to make a vehicle as reliable as those 98-2005 or 2006 trucks/SUVs were.
mm98
9:59p, 2/25/24
In reply to ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I had a 2003 Tahoe that went nearly 280k with very few issues. My dad drove it for first 170k and I did the rest. I am convinced Chevy won't ever be able to make a vehicle as reliable as those 98-2005 or 2006 trucks/SUVs were.

They were well made and also easy to work on IMO
AgToadie
10:39a, 2/26/24
Another common failure point on these is the plastic heater hose connections at the firewall. Plastic gets brittle with age and usually breaks at an inopportune time - losing all of your coolant. Easy fix as long as you have the right tool to separate the fitting. I would replace both as preventative maintenance.
'03ag
10:53a, 2/26/24
In reply to AgToadie
Does it look like this?

Greenchiles
12:53p, 2/26/24
Charismatic Megafauna
1:36p, 2/26/24
Original transmission? I haven't had great luck with 4L60Es, might want to set aside a couple grand for that

4wd issue might be the linear actuator, what you're describing is how 4wd used to go out on the previous body style, google tells me 2002 still had them
'03ag
1:38p, 2/26/24
In reply to Charismatic Megafauna
Original transmission.

That does worry me a little but it's lived an easy life. I knows he's had it services regularly too

Charismatic Megafauna
1:45p, 2/26/24
Could go to 250k, could go out tomorrow. I've gotten to where i assume every old car i buy needs a transmission so if I'm comfortable with that at the price i figure every mile it doesn't go out is just gravy

As an aside, that long list of piddly stuff doesn't jive with "taken great care of" to me, lift gate struts are like $25 and annoying af when they are shot. That list describes a car that has been replaced and the owner no longer wants to bother with
AgToadie
5:18p, 2/26/24
In reply to '03ag
Yep, that's correct. As memory serves, there are two sizes that look almost identical - one is for in, other is for out. I think the Dorman brand fit one side but I had to go to the dealer for the other one.
'03ag
5:49p, 2/26/24
In reply to Charismatic Megafauna
It hasn't been his daily for about a year. Lift gate struts were replaced but not the glass.
willtackleforfood
10:17a, 2/28/24
In reply to '03ag
I have a 2000 chevy tahoe - thing is bullet proof. 220K miles and just now needing to think about a transmission service. Still drives great but I can feel the shift points getting a little rough. The 5.3L motor is strong - lots of roadtrips with the family in the old truck. I have done most all of the work on my truck.

Regarding the air, I replaced 2 of the under dash blender motors. I want to replace a 3rd but it's a full dash tear down that I haven't done yet.

Rear glass struts replacement takes 5 minutes.

I don't have window problems but it getting into the door to perform that service is pretty easy.

My woofer was blown too - I replaced it with a same size sub and amped it up when I put a new head unit in.

I have replaced the leather on the front and 2nd row, using theseatshop.com. My cushions were fine though.

This era of chevy trucks and SUVs are great.
UmustBKidding
10:51a, 2/28/24
Then mode door is not rocket science but is not trivial. I bought a few tools (pass through ratchet) which make it easier but still a PIA. Think the OEM actuator was ~$90, $50 tools (optional) and 5 hours standing on head removing and installing replacement. Then hours fiddling with getting it timed properly. But even with all that less than a single car payment of a similar more recent vehicle.
I have a 2002 that had a pinion whine for many years before it blew up at 200K miles in 2012. Sat for a bunch of years until my daughter wanted to use it for a spare, and did some work on it. $500 LKQ pick a part diff, $200 headlight housing, 3rd brake light and various stuff to make state inspection. Set of pulled tires on texags and it has ~260K miles. Original transmission. Changed all hoses and belts and hopped in a drove 4K miles over a week without issue. All plastic is crap, a few window regulators need help, but I would have no issue with flogging it if you are handy and don't require absolutely 100% uptime.
Also no AFM (started in 2007) but may use some oil in its old age.
'03ag
12:02p, 3/1/24
Gonna pick this up Sunday or Monday.

What's the go to for parts on these? Brands to stay away from? To start with I'll be particularly interested in front end stuff, ball joints etc.
Charismatic Megafauna
12:18p, 3/1/24
I've been doing the front end on my gmt900 and have settled on Cardone for CVs, Delphi for upper control arms, and Moog for everything else. I don't know if rockauto codes are 1-time or can be used multiple times, if they're good more than once 257517488230044248 is 5% and expires on the 8th
Silvy
12:46p, 3/1/24
In reply to '03ag
I've done a few full front end rebuilds with mostly Mevotech components. Usually Timken for hub assemblies
Charismatic Megafauna
10:10p, 3/1/24
In reply to Silvy
I was reading that timken changed ownership a couple years ago and quality went downhill, is that not true?
91AggieLawyer
10:56p, 3/1/24
In reply to aggiedata
aggiedata said:

Just a comment that 2002 was in one of the best eras for Chevy trucks and SUVs

Sad commentary on the other eras.

I had an '03 Tahoe. That and the '08/09 GM debacle turned me off the company for good. While the powertrain is mostly solid, almost nothing else is. If it hasn't been replaced yet, plan on replacing it. It may or may not tear through batteries, but I'd plan on replacing them every other year. I don't know for sure what year Chevy went to the electric fuel pumps, but if this model has them, you have to remove the entire tank to get to it -- a very expensive job, and those pumps will probably go out every 4-5 years minimum. After a bunch of expensive repairs, I quit trusting mine around 2010 to leave the county. A $40K vehicle was worth maybe 10% of that after 7 years.

Worst vehicle decision I ever made and I'd recommend a hard pass, even if someone gave this to you.
Silvy
7:34a, 3/2/24
In reply to 91AggieLawyer
91AggieLawyer said:

I don't know for sure what year Chevy went to the electric fuel pumps, but if this model has them, you have to remove the entire tank to get to it
aggiedata
7:52a, 3/2/24
My parents matching 03 Tahoe and 03 Silverado are still running with no major issues.

JamesPShelley
8:06a, 3/2/24
In reply to '03ag
'03ag said:

Looking for a cash car for a while. Under $5k but still want to daily it. Family friend has a one owner 2002 Suburban, Z71 4x4, 174k miles.

known issues

Won't go into 4 wheel hi or lo. Lights just flash. Do these get sticky with little use?
AC blows cold but the doors that move the air from floor/body/defrost don't work. Simple?
blown rear subwoofer
handful of interior switches could be replaced. passenger side door panel pull handle is broken.
typical seat wear. I would want new covers and probably a new cushion for the driver.

From my test drive I'd want to update some suspension/steering. New tie rods minimum. Otherwise everything seems pretty good for a 22 year old car.

All I've ever hear is these 5.3s pre-AFM are bulletproof. Drove it today and powertrain was really smooth, no visible oil leaks. Recent water pump. Anything in particular to look out for?
Clearly he takes great care of his cars.

Did you read your own laundry list of **** that should be, er, should have been, taken care of?

Update the suspension? You must mean replace.

Keep looking for that "One-owner" ride. You'll find one that properly has been maintained.

You know what is the answer on this one...

Good luck.
Buck Turgidson
9:05a, 3/2/24
In reply to '03ag
'03ag said:

known issues

blown rear subwoofer

You have a long list of deferred maintenance and you start with the assertion that he takes great care of his cars? Why do you need all those headaches?
'03ag
12:05p, 3/2/24
In reply to Buck Turgidson
None of that constitutes a headache to me and only a couple would I consider in the realm of deferred maintenance

It's 22 years old with 175k on the clock. I'm not worried about a guy that doesn't mind sitting on torn leather or a window switch he can't see from the driver seat.

This is all piddly stuff that's can be SEEN and taken care of over time.

If I'm buying with this many miles I'm worried about things that can't be seen, and lead to bigger repairs down the road.

Buy now I want the car that's had fluids in the transmission, diffs, cooling system, power steering, belts, tensioners, hoses, water pumps changed multiple times. On schedule. Plus does all the "while you're in there" stuff when a repairs is needed.

These are things that I know were done and tell me more about a car than anything else. It's also stuff that's WAY harder to verify was done correctly if at all. Some of which my FIL helped him do.
Coward Jimbo
8:17a, 3/4/24
I've got an 03 Tahoe sitting in the driveway. Still runs great but A/C went out and I was quoted $1900 to fix it. ~260 on the clock. Not trying to get rid of it but it is turning into a bit of an eyesore. If I found someone that wanted it I would let it go for a fair price all things considered.
Ag for Life
1:57p, 3/5/24
In reply to Coward Jimbo
2wd or 4wd?
Coward Jimbo
2:35p, 3/5/24
In reply to Ag for Life
2WD. Let me know if you want more info
Ag for Life
5:53a, 3/6/24
In reply to Coward Jimbo
Coward Jimbo said:

2WD. Let me know if you want more info

Dang, I'm looking for a 3rd vehicle but it needs to be 4wd. Thanks
reedsterg
11:36p, 3/7/24
In reply to Coward Jimbo
I'm looking for a Z71, but curious what you would want for it and where you're located.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings