What is the Facebook Marketplace Scam? Lots of Shady Ads

1,865 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by CanyonAg77
bonfarr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So when perusing the Car and Truck ads on Facebook Marketplace in San Antonio at least half are listings that are obviously too good to be true. 2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch edition for $5850, 2012 Toyota Camry with 67k miles for $1500, Ford Ranger for $800. They always offer very few pics and the ones shown are almost always a perfectly clean vehicle. What is the scam? When you show up with $1500 in hand to look at the car you get a blade stuck in your gut or what?

One of them is laughably obvious because she lists a sweet Accord for $1500 and says you can hold it by depositing $500, only a complete idiot would fall for that but a sucker is born every minute.
Furlock Bones
AG
I've wondered the same thing. So many are so obviously a scam. How are they getting anyone?
Bronco6Gen
In my experience, the listed amount is usually the down payment required, not the total price.
bonfarr
AG
Bronco6Gen said:

In my experience, the listed amount is usually the down payment required, not the total price.

That's true of some but when you click on the Seller it shows the same exact ad posted in 20 cities so no way it's legit. I bet they ask for a deposit of some kind to hold the car.
reproag
AG
bonfarr said:

Bronco6Gen said:

That's true of some but when you click on the Seller it shows the same exact ad posted in 20 cities so no way it's legit. I bet they ask for a deposit of some kind to hold the car.
It's cash down and they are from a dealership. When I post stuff on marketplace (and I hate doing it) I post all over the place, Dallas, McAllen, Lake Charles ect... Just to get eyes on the vehicle I'm posting.
combat wombat™
AG
bonfarr said:

So when perusing the Car and Truck ads on Facebook Marketplace in San Antonio at least half are listings that are obviously too good to be true. 2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch edition for $5850, 2012 Toyota Camry with 67k miles for $1500, Ford Ranger for $800. They always offer very few pics and the ones shown are almost always a perfectly clean vehicle. What is the scam? When you show up with $1500 in hand to look at the car you get a blade stuck in your gut or what?

One of them is laughably obvious because she lists a sweet Accord for $1500 and says you can hold it by depositing $500, only a complete idiot would fall for that but a sucker is born every minute.

This morning I watched a video of AOC suggesting we should send a mission to the sun to collect samples for study… but we should go at night so it's not as hot. People like that might fall for this scam.

And I have to wonder if that video of AOC is legit. Is it deep fake? People can't really be that ignorant, can they? People running our government?
bonfarr
AG
reproag said:

bonfarr said:

Bronco6Gen said:

It's cash down and they are from a dealership. When I post stuff on marketplace (and I hate doing it) I post all over the place, Dallas, McAllen, Lake Charles ect... Just to get eyes on the vehicle I'm posting.

A dealership is offering this truck for $800 in 20 cities?

reproag
AG
bonfarr said:

reproag said:

bonfarr said:

Bronco6Gen said:

In my experience the $800 is the cash down (lots of post will do that) and that looks like a note lot. On of the inhouse financing dealerships on the HWY just outside of town. OR it's a scam. either way I'd stay clear. But FYI last car I posted on marketplace I sold to a couple in McAllen.
reproag
AG
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/308966095306782/
Like this one

agcivengineer
AG
They want you to deposit money before seeing it and then they disappear. You'll never meet them in person. I stumbled across a similar scam in a local buy / sale group.
sts7049
AG
bonfarr said:

reproag said:

bonfarr said:

Bronco6Gen said:

that one might be 800 because the frame is rotted
Complete Idiot
bonfarr said:

Picking that Accord up today! Was scheduled to pick up the last 2 days but seller broke their leg 2 days ago and then yesterday their dog had emergency surgery. But definitely picking up today.
Complete Idiot
combat wombat said:

bonfarr said:

This morning I watched a video of AOC suggesting we should send a mission to the sun to collect samples for study… but we should go at night so it's not as hot. People like that might fall for this scam.

And I have to wonder if that video of AOC is legit. Is it deep fake? People can't really be that ignorant, can they? People running our government?
I understand that person has said many wild and unbelievable things politically but are you seriously asking if a video where someone says to visit the sun at night so it's not hot is fake? Of course it's fake, isn't that one of the oldest jokes in the book?
combat wombat™
AG
No, I am not seriously asking; I figured it was false by the time I was done with my post... but, nevertheless, it was a good illustration because people like that do exist.
Kraft Punk
agcivengineer said:

They want you to deposit money before seeing it and then they disappear. You'll never meet them in person. I stumbled across a similar scam in a local buy / sale group.

This is the correct answer
bam02
AG
Good question. I've been wondering the same thing as the OP.

I've also noticed several where there is a picture of a really eye-catching vehicle like an exotic supercar next to or even slightly in front of some mundane vehicle that the ad is actually for.
CanyonAg77
AG
reproag said:

bonfarr said:

Bronco6Gen said:

Anyone who posts the down payment as the purchase price deserves a butt kicking
bonfarr
AG
Out of curiosity I played along with one of the scam sellers and received these emails. Of course the person posting the Ad states he posted the ad for his sister, that seems to be a common theme with the scam ads, posting vehicles for sale for a family member.

The dude gave me an email address for his sister, a Sgt Alison Ruiz, her email response to me asking if the car was available.
Quote:

Hi,
My name is Alison and I'm emailing you about my 2008 Honda Accord LX-P with a gas powered 2.4L engine, 177 hp, Inline 4 , and super low original miles, only 145,000. Never had or needed any paint/body work done, garage kept always, without any mechanical problems, tires and wheels are in great shape as well, electric is working perfectly. The engine runs very well and the automatic transmission shifts perfectly. Has a clean and clear title in my name and there are no liens or loans on it. This Honda Accord was used by my husband who died 4 month ago. Besides, I hope to find a new owner as dedicated as my departed soulmate was. The price was reduced to $800 because I'm in a hurry to find a buyer. I need to sell the car quickly, I will be leaving on military duty with my medical team out of the country for a year and do not want to store my car. Hate to sell it but it's not worth keeping insurance and paying storage fees for a year. If you are interested I can send you more pictures.

Thanks and God bless you and your family!
Sgt. Alison Ruiz

I of course replied I am very interested and wanted to meet up in San Antonio to take a look and possibly buy the car on Saturday and this was her next reply:

Quote:

Hello again,
As I've told you in my first email, I'm in the US Army with my military medical team and right now I am in a military base. We are training, getting ready to leave the country. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay Motors Selling Security Center so my presence isn't necessary. The delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 3-5 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. You will have 5 days to test and inspect the car prior to making any purchase. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay Motors to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer, and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

PS: Below I attached some photos.
Thanks and God bless you! SGT. Alison Ruiz

100% believe this is a Nigerian scam. Do people get scammed thru EBay charges? I'm still wondering how they pull off the ripoff.

Jack Boyett
AG
I'm up by Amarillo. I can tell it's a scam when there's a bunch of huge, beautiful trees in the background.
Jack Boyett
AG
The scam is that you send some money to hold it or as a down payment then you never hear from them again. I know two people who have been scammed like that. One wired money through Western Union. That money is gone when you do that.
CanyonAg77
AG
Jack Boyett said:

I'm up by Amarillo. I can tell it's a scam when there's a bunch of huge, beautiful trees in the background.
Been there, done that
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.