25,000th Post - Do you have a type?

2,762 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by The Wonderer
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hard to believe I've been on this site for 18+ years.

I initially joined TexAgs just to talk about the road trip a BQ buddy and I took to Clemson when we played them in Football back in Fall 2005. As the site developed more sub-topic boards, I found a lot of opportunities to learn, share knowledge and occasionally have some fun trolling posters who needed to have their minds blown.

I've always enjoyed the Automotive Board the most and I've even gotten to meet a few posters from here IRL. CanyonAg77, The Fife, TrinityAg and a couple others. We've also lost a few notables - Spicewood & BQ68 come to mind.

While the real number of posts is probably a few more due to posts that I've had deleted regarding a sensitive topic on the Politics Board, for this milestone post, I want to ask a question that's been rolling around in my mind for a month or so while walking through my new neighborhood in Galveston.

The question is - Do you have a type?

Obviously it applies to men's selection of females but does it also apply to cars?

What got me to thinking about this is, there is a guy in my neighborhood who has a Dark Blue 1999 4x4 Ford F-150 short bed. He just bought a Dark Blue 2024 4x4 Ford F-150 short bed.
ETA: Both of the F-150s are XL trim, Single Cab

The guy bought the exact same vehicle 25 years apart.

My last 5 vehicle purchases have all been 4x4 SUVs of some sort.
So I'm wondering if any of y'all are like that and purchase the same vehicle multiple times?
sts7049
AG
i'm all over the place. my wants and needs change, so i've owned all different kinds of cars and trucks over the years.
Picard
AG
My type is functional and reliable. Trucks and 4Runners are good examples of this.

Therefore, I have no interest in sports cars.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Silvy
AG
V8, not fwd, and preferably not a neutral color.
Complete Idiot
sts7049 said:

i'm all over the place. my wants and needs change, so i've owned all different kinds of cars and trucks over the years.

This, it's often based on some real or imagined family or personal "need".

I do like sporty, ideally sleeperish, sedans and functional 4wd SUV's. But have owned a number things that don't fit on either category.

I also love RV's.
aggiedata
AG
I like old Lexus'. They just keep running.
BrazosDog02
AG
I do. I'm a Ford truck guy, particularly Super Duty. I won't look at any other make or model. I don't shop around. I buy from TV, I order exactly what I want. I buy tan/gold/cream combinations. No white. No black. I've never owned a car in my entire life.

I did get the bug for a Porsche 911 once when I was in my 30's but couldn't shake the "old man" vibe so I didn't. Since then, when I see a dude with a convertible or a sports car I can't shake the idea that he's having a midlife crisis or is a recently divorced guy trying to hang on to the last vestiges of youth, so I could never actually bring myself to buy one, plus they are totally useless for me so it's easy to perish the idea. F350/450 or nothing.
Dill-Ag13
AG
My type has always been station wagon, as much practicality is as compact of a shape as possible. The selection of new/lightly used ones on the market however is depressing.
Complete Idiot
Dill-Ag13 said:

My type has always been station wagon, as much practicality is as compact of a shape as possible. The selection of new/lightly used ones on the market however is depressing.

I like manual transmission sedans, although a bit less a fan now compared to when I was younger, and hard to find much selection now
dubi
AG
I'm a suv girl I suppose. Boring but useful.
kyledr04
AG
90s GM full size trucks and SUVs
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I like them all.
HumpitPuryear
AG
I would have a garage full like Jay Leno if I could. I love trucks, euros, classic hot rods, and even some Japanese tuners. Have a definite hard preference for manual over automatic though.
Tim Weaver
Old Volvo above all else.

I also enjoy wagons of all types. I dig Honda's, some Porsche, and old Vans. I haven't owned a van in a long time.
dodger02
AG
Thick, not fat.

And driving lighter weight slow cars fast. Miatas. Golfs. 86/BRS.

Handling > sheer power.
Goat Man
AG
Manual transmission sports coupes and sedans have been my type almost exclusively. But I now drive a small SUV due to the convenience factor with kids and have a severe love/hate relationship with it. It is so damn comfortable but I really want something lightweight with a stick. I see a second car for me in the very near future.
big ben
AG
Between the wife and I we have a silverado 1500 lt (used for work), grand cherokee overland and a mustang GT.

I shopped trucks last year to replace mine and saw the prices and said f that and bought the stang as a weekend fun car. The silvy is at 160k with only two batteries, brake pads and thats it (knock on wood)

The prices of boats and trucks these days is astonishing
Corps_Ag12
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

I would have a garage full like Jay Leno if I could. I love trucks, euros, classic hot rods, and even some Japanese tuners. Have a definite hard preference for manual over automatic though.

This.

We had dinner with the neighbors last Friday and a question came up about the lottery. I commented that I'd have a car for every day of the year with that kind of money. My neighbors chuckled while my wife just shook her head.
The Fife
I have two types. The main one I can sum up with light, quick, nimble, manual transmission. My Celica, a Civic SI, a Miata, 944, my Acura TSX, Or even obscure stuff that's not so fast like a Pulsar NX, 3 door Civic, CRX, or S12 200SX.

The other is kinda the opposite, but I would absolutely rock a late '80s-early '90s Country Squire / Colony Park or Chevy-Olds-Buick wagon from that same period. Even something Japanese even though I don't think they had the jump seat in the back. It would make a fun sleeper, and look cool showing up for kid stuff in.
Flaith
AG
Manual transmission sport sedans and wagons, but lately I've come to terms with the fact that manual transmissions are going away. My ideal car is a Audi RS6 or Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
ac04
i like cars that go very fast, are somewhat rare, and have big hips/asses.
Tim Weaver
ac04 said:

i like cars that go very fast, are somewhat rare, and have big hips/asses.
So, turbo manual wagon? Got it......
PuryearAg98
AG
My type is to not have a "normal" car. If it is something I am routinely driving, it has to be the best version (typically) of the vehicle platform. One, to appease my need to have all the bells and whistles. Two, to have the ability to sell it when I want to, ideally to another buyer who looks for those same things.

The two worst cars I have ever purchased or owned was a basic black Chevy Avalanche and my wife's current Tesla Model 3. The 3 is great for her, but good lord is it a boring car. The Avalanche was just a underpowered land yacht that removed my will to live every time I drove it.

Give me unique, give me clean, give me fast.
Complete Idiot
PuryearAg98 said:

The Avalanche was just a underpowered land yacht
Shoulda got an 8.1L

At least it would be an appropriately powered yacht
Street Fighter
AG
Black Jeep guy, silver Jeep was a detour of my usual ebony self.
drewser95
AG
I definitely see a pattern in my last three...

Tumble Weed
Once you find something that works, you tend to stick with it.

My Dad always drove a white Silverado with a V8 and toolbox. Tan interior. I always called it the pumper truck because it looked just like all the oilfield trucks running around in the Permian Basin. You couldn't even tell when he bought a new one. They were exactly the same on the exterior.

White, because caliche dust doesn't show up as bad on the exterior and it is cooler in the 100 degree days of the summer. Tan, because it hides dirt that you tracked in. V8, because this is America.

Looking back on my recent purchases, I drive the same vehicle, only in different colors. Has to be a GM truck with a V8. Always has dark tint on the back because of the heat. Most of them have had glasspacks. I should outgrow that at some point or go deaf in the process.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Exactly what I was looking for
HollywoodBQ
AG
Flaith said:

Manual transmission sport sedans and wagons, but lately I've come to terms with the fact that manual transmissions are going away. My ideal car is a Audi RS6 or Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo
In my current situation, I need to buy a car so I can take road trips to visit my parents in Waco more frequently and a Cadillac Blackwing would fit the bill. The manual would be cool but, I'm not paying $100k for a car.

A childhood friend from Saudi has his own shop in the Houston area and specializes in Audi so, if the recent models weren't so awful looking (BMW is worse), I'd consider an A8 or S8. I did get to ride in an A7 in Delhi, India back in 2019, that was pretty nice. I'm probably too big of a guy to be comfortable in an A6. I definitely like the idea of the Quattro for inclement weather.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I feel like this thread is worthless without pics.

I mean, check out the rear-end on this gal.

And how 'bout this topless beach?

Don't you just wish they'd remove their bra?

George08
AG
GM 4 door half ton 4x4 with a 5.3 alternating between Chevy and GMC.
Have had 2002, 2006, 2016, now driving 2022, and anticipate the next one will be the same.
MouthBQ98
AG
Reliable truck based SUV, not full size. Preferably 4x4. And for some reason, red.
USAFAg
AG
Small, (very) fast, great handling....and not seeing yourself in every fourth car on the road!

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
HollywoodBQ
AG
Yeah, I like to have a paint color that is different that what you usually see.

When I lived in Australia, I feel like over 80% of the vehicles on the road were White, Black or Silver/Grey. No imagination at all.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.