Need Diagnostic Help 2006 Ford F-250 5.4 L

714 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
jcurtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have been through the wringer on this truck. We use it for work and recently the front end was worn out so we changed nearly 100% off all the front end. $203,000 miles but in good shape and has been taken care of.

The main issue is that at high speeds the steering wheel doesn't return naturally with equal pressure To center/striaght. Sometimes it feels as if there is a little resistance and sometimes if you slightly turn the wheel it acts as if you have turned it twice as much as you did and over corrects. At low speeds it is not super noticeable but at higher speeds it can over steer and not safe. I have taken it to 4 different shops that I use known for years and many of them didn't charge me and just gave best diagnostic guess after a few hours of playing and looking.

One person has suggested possible internal linings on power steering hoses coming apart and restricting on push or pull possibly.

The best guess people have come up with so far is that it must be gearbox (already changed and attempted to adjust 2X) or the power steering pump (which is not making any noises and it has power steering). We changed from another working pump on another truck and no change. It has been aligned and checked 4 times throughout the process even including old school manual alignment with string.

We replaced the following items:
New rotors and pads around
New shocks around
New ball joints
New stabilizer shock
New gearbox X2
New Pittman arm X 2
New water pump
New clock spring
Power steering pump switched from another exact truck with no issues and no change noticed
New ABS speed sensor in differential

New rear leaf springs and upgraded due to a different service body bed and liftgate (heavier duty and raised it a few inches overall)

Does anyone have any ideas what to zero in on?

Gig 'Em

BiggiesLX
Maybe it's the steering angle sensor??
BiggiesLX
Or the internal clock spring. Does the wheel make squeaky sounds when moving back and forth?
bobwhitepointer
If it is 4x4 I would look at the front axle u-joints for binding
Rexter
Did they check caster when doing the alignment?
TexAg1987
bobwhitepointer said:

If it is 4x4 I would look at the front axle u-joints for binding
This.

jcurtis
No squeaky noises
jcurtis
That was one of the ideas from one of them after the fact
jcurtis
Clock spring was replaced
jcurtis
Have analyzed the u joints
TRIDENT
AG
Replace the power steering hoses?
YZ250
Maybe a flow control valve is sticking. But if you didn't have this trouble before then I'm thinking something may have been damaged or installed incorrectly. Perhaps a kinked hose or tubing.
YZ250
If you jacked up the front end and steered the front wheels without the engine on and don't have any issues then that would suggest the issue is in the hydraulic system.
erudite
Quote:

Maybe a flow control valve is sticking. But if you didn't have this trouble before then I'm thinking something may have been damaged or installed incorrectly. Perhaps a kinked hose or tubing.
On that note, check tie rod end/adjusting sleeve - If you didn't install it with the exact same amount of turns one wheel might be misaligned.
Other:
1) Check if the PS was bled properly.
2) Check rack and pinon bellow and inside joint
3) Check the PS pulley wheel. Sometimes they are loose enough to go bad if you turn one way.

TexAg1987
jcurtis said:

Have analyzed the u joints
If you watch the videos, they couldn't tell by a visual inspection. It wasn't until they pulled out the axle that they could tell that one u-joint was locking up.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
See if the EVO plug is properly plugged in.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.