BJJ
124,126 Views | 1162 Replies
Sweep4-2
10:04p, 1/5/23
In reply to Max Power
Great question and solid answers from others already.

Don't feel guilty about not giving them a tougher role....they know you are new and don't expect you to win. They want you to progress, enjoy your training, ask questions, build camaraderie, etc. If they are training for competition, a fight, etc. and need to 'train up' it's their responsibility, not yours, to choose training partners accordingly or to adjust their game to work defense.

I enjoy training with new students. Helps my coaching/teaching stay sharp, and when rolling they often do really bizarre, unconventional things that are unpredictable and break me out of the regular attack/defend/counter cycle. There are days I have tougher rolls against white/blue/purple belts than I do against brown/black belts, which is great.

My advice for training with upper belts is A) Train with them as often as you can and B) When rolling as a white/blue belt, don't pull guard and don't go for foot/ankle locks against brown/black belts. White/blue is for learning passing/defense....and pulling guard or going for foot locks against upper belts will just result in getting passed/submitted and not developing a top game.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
riffraff
9:37a, 1/6/23
My son (14) and I attended our first BJJ class last night at a Gracie-Barra location in San Antonio. Very humbling, but fun experience. Note to other first timers...no jewelry allowed. Slightly embarrassing having the class wait for me to struggle with my Aggie ring and wedding ring. However, it did lead to another Ag introducing himself in the middle of a match in the most awkward and intimate position I've ever exchanged class years with someone.

I enjoyed the challenge. I laughed at myself several times which was received with mixed reception. Everyone was very encouraging, some laughed with me and others stayed very focused. Overall its a pretty quiet setting. Not sure on how appropriate it is to converse during training?

I'd like to try another class or two and find a spot that has a good fit. I don't have any martial arts or wrestling background. This is an entirely new world for me. Could you guys help me, at a high level, understand the differences between various gyms/franchises? I see a number of different Gracie-XXXXX locations as well as some non-Gracie offerings.
Sweep4-2
2:07p, 1/6/23
In reply to riffraff
Glad to hear that you tried BJJ and that it was fun, if somewhat awkward (which is very normal feeling when you first try it btw)!

Your question about different schools....yeah, each school has it's own feel and focus. Some are MMA focused, others sport BJJ, others self-defense and some are 'all in one' type schools (generally GB falls into the sport and/or all in one type school). In addition to different areas of focus each owner often brings a different 'feel' to their school.

Recommend you try out several different places and see which school seems to align most with what you're hoping to get out of BJJ. I'm a long-time Gracie Barra (Webster and Pearland) student/coach and can definitely answer Gracie Barra questions.

Just curious, did you happen to notice if Fabiana Borges is still the lead instructor at GB San Antonio? I used to drop by there (years ago) when traveling and she was fantastic to train with. But I haven't been there in a while.
O.G.
6:29a, 1/8/23
In reply to riffraff
riffraff said:

My son (14) and I attended our first BJJ class last night at a Gracie-Barra location in San Antonio. Very humbling, but fun experience. Note to other first timers...no jewelry allowed. Slightly embarrassing having the class wait for me to struggle with my Aggie ring and wedding ring. However, it did lead to another Ag introducing himself in the middle of a match in the most awkward and intimate position I've ever exchanged class years with someone.

I enjoyed the challenge. I laughed at myself several times which was received with mixed reception. Everyone was very encouraging, some laughed with me and others stayed very focused. Overall its a pretty quiet setting. Not sure on how appropriate it is to converse during training?

I'd like to try another class or two and find a spot that has a good fit. I don't have any martial arts or wrestling background. This is an entirely new world for me. Could you guys help me, at a high level, understand the differences between various gyms/franchises? I see a number of different Gracie-XXXXX locations as well as some non-Gracie offerings.
Just going from what I've learned here locally and this may not apply to all places.......but.....here where I am:

The Gracie Barra gym is based more on tournament/points/sports side of it.

Gracie Humaita (full disclosure, this is where I go) is based on self defense. We have a lot of cops, correctional officers, first responders etc.

That is probably not universal and my instructor does compete, a lot. So do a lot of the guys in my gym, so its not a hard and fast rule.

Read Rickson Gracie's book, Breathe, to get some background on just how huge that family is. Multiple brothers/sons/nephews went to multiple cities in the US and started their own academy's. It is unbelievable how the Gracie men got a way with having so many kids....but they did.

Of course, there was drama even within their family that goes back to the first Gracie's coming to the US, and all the ones that came after.

The Gracie's don't have the market entirely cornered on BJJ, but they have a are major share holders.
Max Power
9:32a, 1/8/23
Also the schools might do more than BJJ. I go to GB and they have a number of class options not just BJJ. They have kick boxing and wresting as well. They have gi and no-gi classes but I don't think no-gi is even an option until you're pretty experienced at my school. There's a GH school not much further away than my GB gym but their schedule wasn't quite as good for me since I have to work until 7 on my busy days. When I started looking for options I don't know if I would have chosen GB over GH if I didn't have to take schedule into consideration but I did. We do cover different things on different days, sometimes it's starting standing, controlling space, and take downs. Sometimes it's half guard, sometimes it's full guard, escapes, submissions, etc. I don't know if I will or won't compete at any point, if have to feel way more comfortable than I do right now to consider it. The GB schools in the area have a competition next month and I'll probably just go and watch, I'm so inexperienced that I think all I'll do is risk injury at a competition.

I would think that either discipline will generate real world benefits though as experience comes. Having seen some of the black and brown belts at my school I can honestly say that if they were to get their hands on someone in a self defense scenario it's all over for the other person if they don't know how to defend. But GB is definitely competition focused in my experience.
Sweep4-2
9:08p, 1/8/23
Yeah, I would agree that GB tends to focus primarily on sport BJJ (gi and no-gi), including wrestling/judo in the curriculum to supplement the BJJ. Secondary focus tends to be on striking, MMA and self defense.

The self defense vs sport aspect of BJJ is often debated. And I think the answer is straightforward....train the style you most enjoy at the school you like most. If you train either style long enough, your grappling acumen and physical conditioning will greatly increase your chances of being able to defend yourself.

And if you really want to ratchet-up the self defense (and if your body, budget and marriage can take it), train wrestling at a wrestling gym and boxing at a boxing gym in addition to your BJJ.

I haven't been in a real self-defense scenario in years, but if given the choice between using BJJ or my other skill (running, which I compete at far more than BJJ) I'd probably choose running first.
Max Power
12:33p, 1/19/23
Over the past couple of weeks I think I figured out that I need to slow down. I went to three classes in a row last week and I was definitely worn out going into that third class. I appreciated the additional class time but at 42, three days in a row is tough, the guys in their 20s can certainly handle that better than I can. I think I'm going to stick with a schedule of Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. I lifted for the first time in a couple weeks as well and I noticed I've lost a little bit of strength because I was skipping out due to taking more classes, I need to balance that out. I don't want to neglect that part of my routine.

I'm not considering quitting but some of these classes are a mental beat down more than anything else. I've gotten very comfortable at losing/tapping, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. The instruction feels like they are stringing so many things together that none of them end up sticking. I can understand the beginning, but then they throw in more stuff later and I feel lost. I'm always asking questions as it doesn't come easy to me, but it's disappointing when I feel like I spent the hour there and didn't really pick up on something. I know this isn't unique to me, I can easily see why some people would give up because it's hard, but that just strengthens my resolve right now. Going to try to start staying after class to roll some more, hope that helps me pick things up. Having been there 2 months now I can clearly see how few people actually come back after their first class, from the ones I've seen I'm guessing only about 10-20% that take the free class come back.

Every class I leave the house knowing I'm going to suck, but I keep going, and at the end of every class I'm glad I showed up. I do enjoy it, even with the frustration that accompanies it. I don't think I have been in an environment as positive as BJJ class that I can remember, that's another thing that keeps me coming back.
FancyKetchup14
1:08p, 1/19/23
In reply to Max Power
Keep up the attendance and the positive attitude. No one got worse showing up.
Apache
2:18p, 1/19/23
In reply to Max Power

Quote:

I think I'm going to stick with a schedule of Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
I'm Tue/Thur/Sat & that's plenty enough for me at 49. My body needs that recovery time.
Quote:

The instruction feels like they are stringing so many things together that none of them end up sticking. I can understand the beginning, but then they throw in more stuff later and I feel lost. I'm always asking questions as it doesn't come easy to me, but it's disappointing when I feel like I spent the hour there and didn't really pick up on something.
Part of this is your body learning.... getting the muscle memory down. It takes time.
Skipping days may actually help you. On my days off I'll often visualize the moves we learned the previous day & replay them in my head. Concentrate on getting the most simple variations down.

Quote:

Going to try to start staying after class to roll some more, hope that helps me pick things up. Having been there 2 months now I can clearly see how few people actually come back after their first class, from the ones I've seen I'm guessing only about 10-20% that take the free class come back.

I'm not sure if pure rolling will help as you may not find yourself in the exact situation. You may be able to find someone who you can work the move with a few more times en lieu of rolling. Or maybe start in the position of the move you learned & see if you can hit it with an opponent actively defending.
HOWEVER - extra rolling after class is always a good thing.
Quote:

Every class I leave the house knowing I'm going to suck, but I keep going, and at the end of every class I'm glad I showed up. I do enjoy it, even with the frustration that accompanies it. I don't think I have been in an environment as positive as BJJ class that I can remember, that's another thing that keeps me coming back.
"A black belt is a white belt who kept showing up"
AggieChemE09
3:22p, 1/19/23
In reply to Max Power
Max Power
4:39p, 1/19/23
In reply to AggieChemE09
I saw that video the other day, I've watched several videos of his, good advice.
Sweep4-2
10:33p, 1/19/23
Great advice above! Just keep showing up and enjoying the journey, even if parts of are confusing, frustrating, etc. from time to time. You'll start seeing improvement, seeing 'concepts' rather than 'moves', and the speed will start to slow down.

Rolling after class is fine. But you'll probably see more improvement/understanding by flow rolling and positional training with some of the low-key, older purple/brown/black belts who are open to rolling and drilling (many of them are if you just ask). They should be rolling about 25% with you, offering up tips, letting you work the move of the day, etc.

Seamaster
1:29p, 1/23/23
Just discovered this thread....

Not much to add other than to say as an old ag (Class of 2003) I wish I'd discovered this sooner.

Blue Belt since November.
Sweep4-2
7:30p, 1/23/23
Trained a couple times last week at a friend's school that opened up just a couple months ago.

After class, a fairly new kid (probably 16, 2-stripe white belt) and I rolled nogi from stand-up. We started and this kid moved so quickly that he had a single leg and me halfway on my way to the ground before I even realized he was going for a take-down. But that's not the worst part.

We hit the ground and he stopped and asked (with complete sincerity) "I'm sorry sir, did I do that too fast?" It was hilarious, and all I could do at that point was laugh. I told him that most of the guys I train with give off a 'tell' before going for a takedown (their knees creaking, back popping, etc.).

Max Power
9:36p, 1/23/23
In reply to Seamaster
Seamaster said:

Just discovered this thread....

Not much to add other than to say as an old ag (Class of 2003) I wish I'd discovered this sooner.

Blue Belt since November.
I'm a little older ag, class of '02, just started in November and I got my first stripe tonight. Even though I'm still bad I know I'm better than I was when I walked in the gym the first time. I also wish I had started sooner, but I'm glad I didn't wait to start until tomorrow. I got my butt kicked a lot tonight, but I can tell I'm getting better at breathing and slowing down so I don't get gassed in the first 10 seconds. I'm trying to focus on the small positive steps forward and not the mountain in front of me.

I'm just happy I had the guts to walk into the gym the first day. A year ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be the type of person learning BJJ, but I guess I am.
O.G.
10:18p, 1/23/23
In reply to Sweep4-2
Sweep4-2 said:

Trained a couple times last week at a friend's school that opened up just a couple months ago.

After class, a fairly new kid (probably 16, 2-stripe white belt) and I rolled nogi from stand-up. We started and this kid moved so quickly that he had a single leg and me halfway on my way to the ground before I even realized he was going for a take-down. But that's not the worst part.

We hit the ground and he stopped and asked (with complete sincerity) "I'm sorry sir, did I do that too fast?" It was hilarious, and all I could do at that point was laugh. I told him that most of the guys I train with give off a 'tell' before going for a takedown (their knees creaking, back popping, etc.).

I feel this. I hear, "I'm sorry" and "are you ok" a lot. I'm usually the oldest guy in the class, or right at it.

There is a tournament coming up here this weekend, I'm not competing in it but tonight I rolled with several of the guys that are. Working on whatever they need to sharpen. One of them did a takedown pretty quick and everything from my the base of my spine to the top of my head felt it.
Apache
7:11a, 2/10/23
T&P for me.
New white belt registered. 6'6" 270 (not all fat either) 25 years old.
Everyone smiles and looks at me "Here's you're new training partner!"
Half my age, 45 pounds heavier & 2 inches taller. Wish me luck.
Max Power
2:56p, 2/10/23
In reply to Apache
I'm 5'10" and about 180 and I've rolled with several guys that are 220+, a couple are cops and know how to handle themselves, and I've lived to tell the tale. You'll be fine.
2girlsdad
6:21p, 2/10/23
In reply to Apache
Pffff, get back to me when you go against a late 20's, 6'2", 340 lb (yes fat but still strong and quick), purple belt! I'm 41, 5' 10", 230 lbs, blue belt.

The day I submit him will be glorious!
saysomethin
10:11p, 2/10/23
My 6yo son wants to get into this. Anyone have any knowledge of spots in San Antonio? Heard House of JiuJitsu is good downtown but there's another newer place by my house off Broadway Atos journey jitsu. Is 6 a good age to start? Did a little karate class through school and loved it two years ago.
Sweep4-2
10:03a, 2/11/23
In reply to saysomethin
6 years old is a great age to start. I don't know the San Antonio BJJ scene, but there should be plenty of good schools. Recommend you start 'close to home' and visit several schools to see how they feel (from a 'vibe' standpoint) Proximity and atmosphere are more important than school affiliation, instructor pedigree, etc. (because 90% of BJJ growth comes from just showing up regularly).

Switching gears.....the topic of 'big guys' and rolling with them, I live this space as the smallest/lightest 'heavyweight' (I'm 5'11", 170 lbs) on the big side of the mat. Biggest key to success is making them play your game and resisting the urge to play theirs.

Generally that means having a plan/strategy, winning the grip fighting battle, moving quickly and aggressively, constant directional change, and using 'little guy' strengths (cardio, speed, flexibility). And recognizing also that 'winning' sometimes just means 'surviving longer' or getting sweeps, subs, etc. you haven't hit before.
O.G.
2:44p, 2/11/23
In reply to saysomethin
saysomethin said:

My 6yo son wants to get into this. Anyone have any knowledge of spots in San Antonio? Heard House of JiuJitsu is good downtown but there's another newer place by my house off Broadway Atos journey jitsu. Is 6 a good age to start? Did a little karate class through school and loved it two years ago.
Don't know which side of SA you are on. I did Muay Thai in San Marcos at Diaz Martial Arts, he also does Jiu Jitsu, although I did not roll at that time, just did striking. I can't remember which "brand" he is a affiliated with, its not one of the Gracies though.
Max Power
10:22a, 2/21/23
Had two great days in a row! Saturday and last night I was able to submit my partners using the bow & arrow choke. One of my biggest issues I've had is not really knowing what to do if I'm able to pass guard and get mount on my opponent, and last week we worked on that. I guess it stuck. Both of them were bigger than me and had more stripes on their belts, but I was able to use technique and patience. I was almost able to get a triangle last night but I didn't frame it right at the beginning and wasn't able to apply it correctly, but I was looking for it when I had a window. It was just nice to feel like something was sticking and I wasn't just losing every single time. I'm also getting better at slowing down and breathing. I've never considered quitting but admittedly I was frustrated recently so I really needed some success. I might not be able to out muscle some of these guys but it's nice to have affirmation that strength isn't the sole determinant of victory. I know this is a relatively small thing but to me it's huge, especially when I've been wondering when things are going to click. It'll definitely keep me coming back.
Sweep4-2
8:15p, 2/21/23
In reply to Max Power
Glad to hear that you had good training days and are enjoying the BJJ journey! It's full of ups and downs, but those good days sure do make up for the rough days.

That bow and arrow is a great choke. Gi chokes are such a great way to be obnoxious to the younger, bigger, stronger grappler.....they are really sneaky chokes and there are so many variants that are fairly easy to learn (X, Ezekiel, baseball bat, paper cutter, etc.).
Apache
4:55p, 2/22/23
Quote:

Gi chokes are such a great way to be obnoxious to the younger, bigger, stronger grappler.....

I am ready to unleash my arsenal of chokes and old man strength upon the big new white belt, but our class schedule has yet to intersect. I went to the Monday class (Instead of my usual Tuesday) looking for him but he took off because of President's Day.
Apache
4:59p, 2/22/23
In reply to Max Power
Quote:

I know this is a relatively small thing but to me it's huge, especially when I've been wondering when things are going to click.
When I got my first few submissions rolling as a white belt, I kept it cool on the outside, but on the inside I was basically like this:

It's a great feeling.

You're going to have peaks & valleys, just know that they are all temporary.... the important thing to do is keep going because as long as you are consistent the overall trajectory is up!
O.G.
7:37p, 2/22/23
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

Quote:

I know this is a relatively small thing but to me it's huge, especially when I've been wondering when things are going to click.
When I got my first few submissions rolling as a white belt, I kept it cool on the outside, but on the inside I was basically like this:

It's a great feeling.

You're going to have peaks & valleys, just know that they are all temporary.... the important thing to do is keep going because as long as you are consistent the overall trajectory is up!
Definitely have to be cool about it. Celebrating is not allowed at my gym & I agree with it. No reason to make a training partner feel bad.
Max Power
9:51p, 2/22/23
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

Quote:

It's a great feeling.

I got an actual lol out of this. To me it was more a feeling of relief than anything. I'm too self aware of the level of suck I still have. To your point I came into class tonight hoping to have another good day and that certainly didn't happen. I tweaked my knee during warmups and everything was downhill from there. Even though what we worked on tonight had a similar base to Monday I was damn near useless. My partner was a white belt at his fourth class and he had his way with me because I just couldn't move, I just felt disappointed. It was also like a mental block at the same time, I should be able to do everything I picked up well on Monday, but because I was hobbled my brain and body both let me down. I hope it's just a strain, I'll have a better idea in the morning, I really don't need a knee injury right now.
Sweep4-2
8:02a, 2/23/23
In reply to Max Power
Hopefully your knee is ok. But even if it's not 100% it's possible to still train (but with some changes).

Years ago I had a pretty bad muscle strain and couldn't work closed guard at all. So I started using a half guard variant. And I got smashed by white/blue belts for months and it was really frustrating (I was either an old purple or new brown belt at the time).

But I got healthy again, the guard started working and now it's my go-to position.

So basically, getting smashed for months kept me healthy and developing, even when it didn't feel like it. It was difficult because I was meauring progress by comparing myself to others and on a class by class basis. Once I got past that things got a lot better.
O.G.
8:30a, 2/27/23

Royler Gracie was at my gym this past weekend for a seminar.

I was lucky enough to have been invited out to dinner with him, my instructor and a few others the evening before. It was cool listening to him tell stories.

He showed us surfing pictures from his most recent vacation in Indonesia and I said something like, I haven't had a vacation in so long I've forgotten how to spell the word. He told me that wasn't good and that I needed to learn how to take time for myself to decompress etc.

The next day the seminar was great. I was paired up with a white belt, but to be as young as he was, he showed a lot of maturity in learning all of this stuff. After 3 hours of training everyone was dragging.

At the end of it, he had us all line up according to rank, then he started to talk. He scanned the crowd and made direct eye contact with me and then repeated what he said the previous night about taking time out for ourselves etc. I thought about it all weekend. I may need to re-evaluate how I've been doing things.
Max Power
9:36a, 2/28/23
In reply to O.G.
That's awesome. I too am guilty of not taking time off or doing things for myself. In all honesty starting BJJ was the first thing I started doing just for me in a long time. We went to Disney World last year but as any parent of a 6 year old will attest, that's not a vacation. The only real vacation my wife and I have been on since our honeymoon was almost 3 years ago and it was because she was about to have brain surgery, but that trip is literally the only one I can ever remember going on and just trying to relax/decompress. It's really hard to just sit back and do nothing for me, even if I take a random day off, I feel like I need to accomplish something.

Went back to class last night and my knee held up. I think it's just age/tendonitis that can flare up on me. We were still doing variations of x-guard, which we started last week. Since it was the same stuff that I was able to do a week ago I know it's not an actual injury, just an aggravation. I used a soft brace and that might have helped. You can't pretend you're still young when your body makes you feel this way, lol.
Sweep4-2
8:39p, 2/28/23
In reply to O.G.
That's a really cool experience! A true legend in the sport!!

My instructor (Vinicius 'Draculino' Magalhaes) is the same age/weight class / genre as Royler and they competed against each other twice (Gracie won both). Drac has said Royler is a seriously tough guy.
Apache
10:33a, 3/12/23
Had a 10th planet black belt pop in for open mat yesterday. Taught some cool stuff messing around. He properly smashed me in new and unusual ways. (To me) good times
The stuff they do is wild, BJJ has evolved so much there. Hindutini? Electric Chair? Homie Control? The names are hilarious
O.G.
11:36a, 3/12/23
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

Had a 10th planet black belt pop in for open mat yesterday. Taught some cool stuff messing around. He properly smashed me in new and unusual ways. (To me) good times
The stuff they do is wild, BJJ has evolved so much there. Hindutini? Electric Chair? Homie Control? The names are hilarious

BJJ is evolving rapidly. Even my instructor is working on new takedowns etc ahead of the PanAms in Florida.

The fundamentals are mandatory, especially for self defense, but in competitions there are newer/faster things happening. I think Youtube is feeding that fire a lot.

Edit: I see/hear a lot of the younger guys talk about moves like the Electric Chair etc, but a lot of them don't work on their fundamentals enough. Sort of like knowing how to dunk as basketball without knowing how to dribble, guard/pass etc etc in the rest of the game.
The Real Napster
7:25p, 3/12/23
Guy I train with would laugh if I did the electric chair. He'd be all, "thanks for the stretch"
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 21 of 34
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings