BJJ
123,913 Views | 1155 Replies
Sweep4-2
10:47p, 6/27/19
In reply to OaklandAg06
Very cool! BJJ is a fun journey and lifestyle! Glad you're having a good time! Where do you train?
OaklandAg06
9:09a, 6/28/19
Marcelo Garcia Dallas
chipotle
9:42a, 6/28/19
I'll probably be stuck at brown for a good while now. I train maybe 2-3 times a week and with family/job taking so much time I don't see this changing. However, as a hobbyist I'm perfectly comfortable at this level. Will continue training til I'm dead regardless of wardrobe color. Also, at 41 I think old man strength is kicking in so that's good.
Sweep4-2
4:32p, 6/28/19
In reply to chipotle
OaklandAg06, very cool! I haven't been to an MG gym but like the approach MG uses to BJJ.

Chipotle, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been a brown belt for a while and balance training with family, work and age (48). Love the sport and my BJJ family, and keep hoping NOT to get promoted for a while.
chipotle
8:53p, 6/28/19
In reply to Sweep4-2
Sweep4-2 said:

OaklandAg06, very cool! I haven't been to an MG gym but like the approach MG uses to BJJ.

Chipotle, I'm in the same boat as you. I've been a brown belt for a while and balance training with family, work and age (48). Love the sport and my BJJ family, and keep hoping NOT to get promoted for a while.

Years ago a guy I trained with was talking with the instructor and the instructor was saying something like, "when I promote you to black..." and then he was all, "don't you ***king dare." This wasn't the first time I've seen such resistance to getting a black belt. Now that I'm in that boat...yep....DON'T YOU ***KING DARE!
newhowdyag2004
2:02p, 9/2/19
Had my first real injury today. I was rolling with a 4 stripe brown belt, and I was on my back and we was going for an arm bar. I was holding my hands together until I let go on purpose in order to try to hitchhike and roll to the side. Well, with the force of him pulling (I'm pretty strong so I don't give in easily) the jerking movement of me letting go not turn my thumb led to a bad arm bar. Instantly my left bicep near the elbow hurt like hell. My joints fell fine.

I've iced it and started taking ibuprofen. I have full range of motion so that's good.

I learned a good lesson. Stop using my strength and be smooth with my movements!
OaklandAg06
8:13p, 9/2/19
Injury check in here as well, tweaked my knee a week ago while trying to pull my bottom leg through from half guard to butterfly guard. Pretty sure it resulted in a meniscus tear- waiting on MRI results... any advice on training while rehabbing an injury? I've been focusing on movement drills to pass the time.
Sweep4-2
6:28p, 9/4/19
Oh no! Hate hearing about injuries. Hope y'all heal up quickly and can get back to training.

I got my knee/ankle popped a couple months ago. Got caught in an Estima lock and hesitated for just a moment before trying to invert (was trying to decide whether to tap). I should have tapped, but oh well.

As far as training while injured, I usually just take the time off the mats to recover. When I've tried to work technique, flow roll, etc I just end up training too hard and overdoing it (and prolonging the injury). But that's just because I'm hardheaded and don't learn.
newhowdyag2004
9:14p, 9/4/19
I was thinking I could wear a sling and strap my arm to my body. I've heard it's a good way to get better at your feet!

The fact that I heard no pops is a good sign I guess.
LacyMilaniRealtor
12:57p, 9/7/19
Been training at Kama Jiu Jitsu in Flower Mound since May. Pretty awesome stuff. I started at GB in Southlake, last November. Rickson JJ is on another level.
#1 team champions dfw commercial realty with over 30 years combined experience in the metroplex
https://www.Championsdfw.com
Sweep4-2
3:28p, 9/7/19
BJJ milestone for me today. Got promoted to Black Belt by Marcelo 'Uirapuru' Azevedo and Vinicius 'Draculino' Magalhaes at our GB belt ceremony.

Now I'm just sitting here watching the Ags play and thinking 'how big a target will I be next week when I'm back on the mats'?!?!
chipotle
8:48p, 9/7/19
In reply to Sweep4-2
Sweep4-2 said:

BJJ milestone for me today. Got promoted to Black Belt by Marcelo 'Uirapuru' Azevedo and Vinicius 'Draculino' Magalhaes at our GB belt ceremony.

Now I'm just sitting here watching the Ags play and thinking 'how big a target will I be next week when I'm back on the mats'?!?!

Big congratulations
Sweep4-2
11:33p, 9/7/19
In reply to chipotle
Thanks! I was terrified when i heard my name called (I was the only black belt promoted this year). At one point while they were putting my new belt on me Drac said "Brother, don't forget to breathe."
OaklandAg06
9:22a, 9/8/19
Congrats Sweep!
OaklandAg06
4:48p, 9/18/19
Had my meniscus repaired today, dr says 8 weeks rehab and I can get back in the mats. Already looking forward to it!
newhowdyag2004
4:41a, 9/19/19
I'm having my distal bicep tendon reattached tomorrow. Let's see how long I'll be out..
OaklandAg06
11:06a, 9/21/19
How did your surgery go? Good luck with recovery!
Sweep4-2
8:31p, 9/21/19
In reply to OaklandAg06
Thanks OaklandAg!! It feels weird putting my new belt on (like it doesn't belong to me).

I hope your recovery and rehab go smoothly and that you get back on the mats soon!! No fun missing training, but those 8 weeks will fly by. Had a number of friends with similar injuries and they all rehabbed successfully.

newhowdyag2004
5:50p, 9/22/19
In reply to OaklandAg06
My surgery was postponed to this Tuesday in order to get the surgical center in network. It's been sucky waiting and wish I was in the sling now recovering.
chipotle
7:24p, 9/22/19
Meh...being able to straighten your arm completely is overrated anyway
Moses25
5:52p, 9/23/19
Does anyone train at Marcelo Garcia - Dallas? My next project is close enough and I'll start there in October.
newhowdyag2004
3:35p, 9/24/19
In reply to chipotle
I'm at home recovering... I really don't like this nerve block that has my entire arm numb. But, I'm sure it's better than the pain.

The surgeon said he was able to fully extend my arm when the tendon was reattached, so that's a good sign.
OaklandAg06
8:58p, 9/24/19
In reply to Moses25
Moses25- I started training at Marcelo Garcia Dallas back in May-happy to answer any questions you have. The owner, Rob, is a third degree black belt. It's a good mix of gi and no gi (alternating days). Good people, good mix of belts in all classes.

I'm taking time off from trading to recover from a knee injury but hope to be back around the beginning of November.
bigcat22
5:29p, 10/13/19
Anyone ever bought mats for drilling/rolling at home? I can't decide if it would be worth getting some or not
newhowdyag2004
8:33a, 11/2/19
I got cleared to resume one armed training! Before I knew my bicep was torn, I trained/rolled with one arm tucked in and I actually enjoyed it. It forced me to slow down and think. I'm so happy!
AZAG08
1:06p, 11/5/19
Anyone have any tips on protecting ribs? I have one rib up high close to my pec and almost under my arm, that almost every time I roll if I get a lot of pressure or someones full weight against it I hear it audibly pop ( like cracking a knuckle) and then that ends my day
chipotle
1:45p, 11/5/19
In reply to AZAG08
AZAG08 said:

Anyone have any tips on protecting ribs? I have one rib up high close to my pec and almost under my arm, that almost every time I roll if I get a lot of pressure or someones full weight against it I hear it audibly pop ( like cracking a knuckle) and then that ends my day

That's probably a 6 week or so injury. Any sooner and it will keep just popping out of place. The two times this happened to me I just went to class like normal and did technique and warmups only. Avoided sparring for the month and a half. Good luck.
AZAG08
2:22p, 11/5/19
In reply to chipotle
chipotle said:

AZAG08 said:

That's probably a 6 week or so injury. Any sooner and it will keep just popping out of place. The two times this happened to me I just went to class like normal and did technique and warmups only. Avoided sparring for the month and a half. Good luck.
Thanks... I took a month off, and only went one time in about a 6 week period trying to give it some time.
It seems to not be as bad, but I'm also quick to stop now when I feel it.

Time for more rest I guess!
OaklandAg06
5:46p, 11/7/19
Got cleared by my dr and was able to get back on the mats last week! It was a good to see everyone, and interesting to see how some of the people who started around the same time I did have progressed in the last two months.

It's going to take a while still to get my full flexibility back in my knee, and to feel comfortable moving around on my knee, but was great to get back to it.

Plus MG Dallas got new mats while I was gone!
bigcat22
9:16a, 1/16/20
I just saw that the Grappling Industries World Championships at Europa Dallas has free registration. I'm really tempted to register.

https://grapplingindustries.smoothcomp.com/en/event/2633
chipotle
10:26a, 1/16/20
In reply to bigcat22
bigcat22 said:

I just saw that the Grappling Industries World Championships at Europa Dallas has free registration. I'm really tempted to register.

https://grapplingindustries.smoothcomp.com/en/event/2633

I'm going to see how this plays out first.

Anyone else registered for this?
https://beltchecker.com
OaklandAg06
9:32a, 1/17/20
Thanks for posting- I am really considering signing up for this one. It would be my first competition- for those that have competed before, do you think this format would be a good one for a first competition?

At the very least the price is right, and it looks like you would be guaranteed several matches, even if you lose one.

I would be in the Masters White/Beginner 210 division and would probably do both Gi and No Gi. It looks like there are several other people from MGD already signed up as well.
bigcat22
5:09p, 1/17/20
In reply to OaklandAg06
It would be my first as well. And, unless I can drop weight, we'd be competing in the same division
Apache
2:25p, 1/24/20
Just saw this thread.... starting rolling in Austin 2 months ago at age 46 & I'm really enjoying it.
As others have mentioned on here... I'm waaay overcompensating with strength for technique at this point. My biceps feel like they could explode after rolling. Hopefully that goes away soon, until then advil is my friend.

I have managed to calm down & breath at this point which is an improvement over the first month of manic fighting.... even tapped a few more experienced white belts lately. I get into good position & then have to think what to do in order to get a submission, meanwhile my opponent has escaped. I look forward to less thinking & more action. I am just ticked i waited so long to get going on this!

Sweep4-2
6:35p, 1/26/20
In reply to Apache
That's great that you're enjoying BJJ! Which school in Austin do you train at?

You mention being ticked about waiting so long to start, but 46 is plenty young to enjoy the sport and build serious grappling skills!! Lots of tough folks on the mats at/above your age that also started their journeys in their 40's.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 34
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings