***Weightlifting Thread***
98,046 Views | 1434 Replies
aggiegolfer03
2:33p, 12/1/23
Visiting my parents in MS and Planet Fitness here is the only gym that allows guests…

Gotta say, i feel a smith machine press way more in my pecs than a free weight bench.

Same story doing smith machine squats and my quads.
1 edit
CC09LawAg
3:06p, 12/1/23
In reply to aggiegolfer03
I think I have come around on the smith machine.

I didn't really understand the difference in bodybuilding and powerlifting when I was younger/before I started taking it more seriously, but it's clear that the smith machine has a place in certain style of workout programs.
aggiegolfer03
3:09p, 12/1/23
It's like I felt it on what I was trying to work because so much of my stabilizers aren't getting used. I'm sure it's just that I'm used to free weights and the locked in path was just funny to my system.

I do realize how much I could use a mirror in my home gym for realtime feedback on my squat depth tho. Past parallel was much easier to hit when I'm looking at where it's at.
CC09LawAg
3:26p, 12/1/23
I think that is one of the main benefits - the fatigue to work ratio is a lot less than with free weights so you can handle a lot more volume on the targeted muscle you are trying to work.

I am not in that phase of my journey yet, but I'm hoping in the next few years to be able to throw 3 plates on a smith machine for squats and to rep them out.
Hoss
9:49a, 12/2/23
Modified StrongLifts last night.

Trap Bar Deadlift
5x5x230

One Arm Incline DB Bench
5x5x57.5 per side

One Arm Incline DB Row
5x5x57.5 per side
Tex117
1:55p, 12/2/23
In reply to bam02
And bounce.

Thank y'all for the advice. But wow. I'm surprised just how much I lost.
CC09LawAg
3:55p, 12/2/23
In reply to Hoss
Hoss, I am not sure of your previous lifting experience so take this or leave it, but hoping my prior experience might help you out. I know you're just getting back on track so don't let this information overwhelm you or think I'm asking you to make perfect the enemy of good. The most important thing is forming the habit and getting out there and doing it.

In my mid 20s, I modified Stronglifts by substituting certain exercises. I ran it "as written" starting in my mid 30s. I think if you sub out the barbell exercises for dumbbells or machines, your body can handle more volume. Part of the reason the 5x5 is so effective is because it's the main compound lifts and you're using your stabilizer muscles and a lot of the lifts build on each other.

I share this so that if you feel like you plateau quickly or aren't making the gains you'd be expecting, you can probably add in another exercise on the lifts you're subbing in dumbbells/cables/etc. for.
Tex117
7:43p, 12/2/23
In reply to Hoss
Hoss said:

Modified StrongLifts last night.

Trap Bar Deadlift
5x5x230

One Arm Incline DB Bench
5x5x57.5 per side

One Arm Incline DB Row
5x5x57.5 per side

Or, you can try starting strength. You want to start with the minimal effective dose. You can always increase the volume when you need to.
aggiegolfer03
8:30p, 12/4/23
My back has been a focus since I've started lift again, but that makes another PR within a year of a 5 year lifting layoff.

Did a couple sets of 8 of weighted pull-ups with really strict form with 25 lbs. Always been a weak point of mine. (I'm about 220 lbs right now considering evening bloat).
10andBOUNCE
9:01p, 12/4/23
My ego would take a big hit with weighted pull ups
aggiegolfer03
9:39p, 12/4/23
I had to work for months in my 20's to even be able to do an unweighted pull up…I just didn't do much rowing in FB workouts, and it's all I knew to do for years. I had played HS FB at 5'10" 240" and even when I got down to 180 in grad school, I couldn't even do a pull up. Kinda sad. Now, even when I've ballooned to almost 290, I've always at least been able to do one…

Got up to like 3x15 at body weight at 210 when I was 25, but that was the best I'd done on them…and that was without pausing at the bottom stretch…prolly reps Sam Sulek would be proud of tho, lol.
ttha_aggie_09
10:00p, 12/4/23
I don't know about yall but pull ups are the only exercise I do that drops off a cliff after first set.

Example:

Set 1 - X reps (AMRAP)
Set 2 - 0.75X reps
Set 3 - 0.5X reps

Am I the only one?
aggiegolfer03
10:07p, 12/4/23
If I try to go within like 3 mins each sets, I'm the same way.

I try to time 3/4-1 song in between working sets of them.
CC09LawAg
8:09a, 12/5/23
In reply to ttha_aggie_09
Yeah, I can usually knock out 8 for my first set then it starts to go downhill fast.

I've started programming it in to just get X amount of total reps and I do them in between my other exercises.
NoHo Hank
1:38p, 12/5/23
Like others have said, to maintain rep volume I need like 5 minutes between sets.
Pantera
1:43p, 12/5/23
Weight training at gym with sinus infection ...

Yes or no?
Buck Compton
1:46p, 12/5/23
For pull-ups (something I long struggled with as well), I build muscle stamina on lat cable pulldowns or on the assisted pull-up machine.

Lower the weight a little bit and do an EMOM (every minute on the minute) of like 5 sets of 8-10 at whatever weight makes sense for you. That last set is always a struggle, but I've found the stamina translates to full body pull-ups.

Any time you do lat or assisted, also make sure you are going all the way to your chest.

I used to struggle to do 1 pull-up and now can do the EMOM at body weight. Going to try to start doing muscle ups next.
bam02
2:16p, 12/5/23
In reply to Pantera
I'm not sure where you live, but the weather is really nice where I'm at in San Antonio. I think I would just take a break from the gym and get out and walk or whatever you feel up to and enjoy the outdoors.

Hope you feel better soon
CC09LawAg
3:26p, 12/5/23
Anybody have any recommendations for an adjustable bench (preferably incline/decline)? Looking for a weight capacity of 600+ pounds.

I see prices ranging from $300 to $600 but want to make sure if I buy on the lower end that I won't regret it.
bam02
3:31p, 12/5/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Admittedly I have not used this one, but I researched this heavily before deciding just to stick with my flat bench and spend money elsewhere. This is a great deal on what should be an amazing bench.

https://repfitness.com/products/ab-5000-zero-gap-adjustable-bench
CC09LawAg
3:42p, 12/5/23
In reply to bam02
Thanks. That is one of the ones I was looking at, and the Titan one that is around $290. Wasn't sure if I'd regret trying to save a little money in the long haul or if it worth it to just spend a little extra and really like what I'm getting.

Right now I have a crappy flat bench and a crappy adjustable bench that is too high off the ground for me to use for flat benching, so I'm going to probably like what I buy better than what I'm using now regardless.
bam02
3:55p, 12/5/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
My entire gym is outfitted by Titan and I've been very happy with all of it with one exception… and that was an FID bench that wobbled way too much for me. Granted it was only like $250 so probably not a fair comparison.

Sold it and bought a flat bench from titanium that I really like, but I wish I had ponied up for the Rep adjustable with zero gap.
CC09LawAg
3:58p, 12/5/23
In reply to bam02
Just waiting for you to send me your referral or your affiliate link after these rave reviews!

I do appreciate it - I've noticed some of those wobbling reviews. I know I'll probably keep this thing 10+ years so I don't know why I let something like $160 sway my decision making at all. I will probably pull the trigger on the REP one.

Do you know if they run this sale often? I mostly bounce around browsing Rogue and Titan so I'm more familiar with how they do their pricing.
10andBOUNCE
3:59p, 12/5/23
In reply to bam02
I don't see where that REP bench you linked is capable of decline? Or I didn't read the specs right.

Anyway, I would be curious to know what all is recommended as well, since I'll be needing something later this year. Incline and decline would be a must for me. This one from Titan over their BF sales kind of piqued my interest that I will have to keep on the list.
https://www.titan.fitness/strength/benches/adjustable/max-adjustable-fid-bench/400554.html

Edit...just saw the comment on wobbly FID bench, but the one I liked above is >$500 so maybe a different version?
bam02
4:00p, 12/5/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
No idea of they go on sale often, but I know that's a great price right now!
bam02
4:01p, 12/5/23
In reply to 10andBOUNCE
Oh you may be right that it doesn't decline. Sorry I overlooked that requirement.
CC09LawAg
4:02p, 12/5/23
In reply to 10andBOUNCE
It looks like it has a separate attachment like the Titan one you linked.

Can someone explain to me how you get into that decline position with dumbbells? I could see myself using a barbell with that but I'm having a hard time imagining me getting my feet hooked in with 40 pound dumbbells.
CC09LawAg
4:03p, 12/5/23
In reply to 10andBOUNCE
I had been eyeing this one

Single Post Adjustable FID Bench - Elite Series - Flat/Incline/Decline Weight Training Bench | Titan Fitness
10andBOUNCE
4:14p, 12/5/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Looks like a good value. Wish the back bad was a tad wider on these Titan benches. The REP was 12" wide which would be better IMO.

This BoS bench looks pretty good as well. They engineered it to have attachments for leg curls, etc.

https://www.bellsofsteel.us/all-products/strength-equipment/benches/heavy-duty-adjustable-bench/
bam02
4:39p, 12/5/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
That looks like the one I had for a while that I got rid of because it wobbled. I'll try to look back at my email for the receipt and confirm
bam02
4:45p, 12/5/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Yes, that is the same one I had and sold. Maybe I just got a bad one.
Pantera
5:56p, 12/5/23
In reply to bam02
bam02 said:

I'm not sure where you live, but the weather is really nice where I'm at in San Antonio. I think I would just take a break from the gym and get out and walk or whatever you feel up to and enjoy the outdoors.

Hope you feel better soon

Thanks! In college station, but also a beautiful day here as in SA. Decided to skip again today and go for a walk instead, gonna call it a night early. Hoping to get back to full strength quicker by doing this, but it's my first time getting sick since starting back on my fitness journey around 8 months back, and I feel bad missing the gym twice in a row.

Time to pound some emergenc and sleep for 11 hours
CC09LawAg
8:26a, 12/6/23
In reply to bam02
Thanks bam. I will probably scratch that one off the list then.

I really need something for flat benching, as I don't do a ton of incline work currently. I would just prefer not to have two separate benches. If it's not rock solid I can't imagine I will be happy with it.

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the REP one. Figured the deal was too good to pass up. I will report back!
CC09LawAg
8:30a, 12/6/23
In reply to Pantera
Even just doing some body weight squats and pushups and stuff like that has helped me to scratch that itch when I know it's against my better judgment to try to lift, whether I'm tired, sick, stuck in a hotel room, etc.
bam02
9:47a, 12/6/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
I'm looking forward to the review. I felt the same way about needing a solid flat bench so opted for just that. A really nice adjustable would be nice, though.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 19 of 41
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings