98,031 Views | 1431 Replies
AggieT
7:33p, 2/28/23
In reply to PascalsWager
Hook grip?
CC09LawAg
10:41p, 3/3/23
I have a really dumb question.

I bought a belt to add weights for dips, I'm really liking it. But I feel like there has to be an easier way to get in and out of this thing.

What is the trick? Do I leave it clipped and step into it and pull it up? I think it'll be easier once I have my wider plates on it but right now it's banging up my ankles pretty bad.
bam02
7:31a, 3/4/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
I can get in mine either way. If I leave it clipped with weights attached then I can just step in and out. When I step in and pull it up around my waist my butt and hips hold it up with gravity pulling weight straight down.

But usually I just clip in/out each time. I support the weight in one and and clip the chain with the other then lower the weight.
bam02
7:32a, 3/4/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Can you shorten the chain so the weights are more at your calf level?
CC09LawAg
8:15a, 3/4/23
In reply to bam02
I guess it is hard to explain - so example, right now I have 2 10 pound bumper plates one, which are too narrow to stand up on their own so they lay flat on the ground. I pick one side up, then step backwards into it. But then when I step in with my other foot, the belt is around mid thigh so I have to pull it up over my hips and it's a pretty tight fit.

It may be something that resolves itself once I get to 45s and it can stand up on its own.
bam02
8:31a, 3/4/23
It's definitely an awkward set up no matter what, but I guess I have gotten used to it. I can use anything from small change plates, kettlebells, those skinny 10# bumpers, on up to the wide 45# bumpers without much difficulty.

I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you.
PascalsWager
2:35p, 3/7/23
Just following up on the grip strength question I posed previously.

Turns out I was just using my straps in an completely idiotic way so it made it harder to grip the weights than with my bare arms! Now I learned how to do it correctly and it went much easier!

But to strengthen my grip, I've added some farmers walks and I will try the rice thing when I find a container large enough for it! Thanks for the feedback
Hoosegow
4:51p, 3/7/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
LOL, Law. I assume you have a bench. Set the weight on the bench. Put the belt around you waste. Squat down and hook up to the weight.
CC09LawAg
8:04a, 3/8/23
In reply to Hoosegow
Hoose, I knew you'd set my dumba** straight. I knew I had to be missing something obvious. I'll try that next workout.
Pahdz
7:10a, 3/9/23
Anyone have good recs for a landmine attachment? Was wanting to get one I could put in the corner of my gym and use.

Thinking about getting rid of my power rack but keeping my bar and doing more stuff with a landmine.

Getting rid of the rack would be sad but I'd keep my Powerblock dumbbells and bench and just do more stuff with those, the landmine and some kettlebells. I'm almost 44 and not necessarily aging out of lifting specifically in the rack (because we have some badasses here older than that who rock it) but want a little more room in the home gym to potentially add an assault bike and *gasp* a Tonal on the wall in the future.
ttha_aggie_09
7:14a, 3/9/23
In reply to Pahdz
I have this one in my garage

https://www.boltfitnesssupply.com/product/14/freestanding-landmine
Bigfootisreal
3:27p, 3/14/23
Read through the whole thread and wanted opinions on doing squat and deadlift both on leg days? Currently doing deadlift then leg press, but have been reading that leg press is vastly inferior to squats. Thoughts?
AggieT
3:33p, 3/14/23
In reply to Bigfootisreal
Rippetoe programs squats and deadlifts on the same day, however he limits the deadlifts due to how taxing they are.

Squat 5x3 (Reps x Sets)
Deadlift 5x1

Deadlift is done last after squats and press/bench press, so there is some rest for your legs. This isn't a true 5 rep max DL since you have already done squats, but it is close.

Squats are a MUCH better exercise than leg presses.
CC09LawAg
3:38p, 3/14/23
In reply to Bigfootisreal
I've been doing it for almost a year and haven't had any issues. In fact, I would argue that when I felt fatigue/nagging issues when doing my deadlifts after my squats, it indicated to me that I was probably having some issues with my form on my squats.

The issue I ran into was fatigue with trying to deadlift twice a week - once the program switched to squats 3x/week and deadlift 1x/week, I've been fine. Though the squats are "easy" on the same day as deadlifts now, whereas before I was pushing for maxes in both on the same day.

I have probably used a leg press 5 times in my life so no help there. If I was trying to build size in my legs, I might add them as an accessory but don't think I could ever abandon squats entirely.
ttha_aggie_09
4:22p, 3/14/23
In reply to AggieT
Quote:

Squats are a MUCH better exercise than leg presses
Preach!
CC09LawAg
9:20a, 3/21/23
Anyone have any recommendations for an adjustable bench that won't break the bank?

I got a Flybird one but it's kind of high off the ground, narrow, and wobbles. It feels fine for stuff in the incline position, but I don't trust it going heavy on flat bench.

I'd love the Rogue one but it's pretty pricey. Anything in the $150 or less range?
bam02
10:05a, 3/21/23
Rep Fitness supposedly has the best bang for the buck.

I have built my whole gym out of Titan equipment and have been extremely happy with quality and service. That said I bought this one and sold it. Wobbled too much for me. I decided I'm good with just a flat bench and I've been much happier since going to just that.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/benches/adjustable/single-post-adjustable-fid-bench/400969.html
2girlsdad
10:30a, 3/21/23
Question on squat bar. I have a standard Amazon purchased bar in my gym, and I'm traveling this week and the local gym had a thick bar which felt great! Felt better control and just stout. Does it make sense that a thicket bar would make squats feel better? And if so, which one should I get?
AggieT
11:39a, 3/21/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
A solid flat bench is much cheaper if you already have a bench suitable for incline work. If you are in Houston, check this out:

https://www.getrxd.com/competition-econ-flat-bench.html

Very sturdy.
bam02
12:01p, 3/21/23
In reply to 2girlsdad
Are you describing an axle bar? Most standard diameter barbells don't have much bounce until you're getting well over 400 pounds on them, in my experience. The thicker bar may just feel better on your traps and delta because the load is spread out a little bit more.
2girlsdad
12:34p, 3/21/23
In reply to bam02
Wasn't an axle bar (just looked it up), just a little thicker than a standard bar. I think you're right about it feeling right on the traps/rear delts. I was only doing 305 to keep my legs warm during vacation, but normally in the 350-400 range (and hopefully more in the near future).

I may purchase this guy for squats:

Rogue 32MM Squat Bar | Rogue Fitness
bam02
1:14p, 3/21/23
In reply to 2girlsdad
Yeah I would think 32mm would be noticeably thicker than a standard.
PascalsWager
2:06p, 3/21/23
In terms of buying new equipment for you home gyms, just check on facebook marketplace first!

I've found almost everything I have in gym from bench, to dumbells, to plates, I've gotten everything used 25-50% off list price.
2girlsdad
2:28p, 3/21/23
In reply to PascalsWager
Do you have to have a FB account? In the past I would get stuff from Craigslist, but imagine it isn't want it used to be.
bam02
2:43p, 3/21/23
In reply to 2girlsdad
Yeah you have to have an account. I avoided getting a FB account for 20 years but finally did so I can look for gym stuff on there.
CC09LawAg
3:26p, 3/21/23
In reply to AggieT
Thanks!

This looks pretty solid - I may consider it. My current flat bench is some no name brand that is at least 10 years old. I'm not even sure what the max weight load is for it, which used to not matter when I was benching 65 pounds, now not so much..

My incline I have now is OK, but due to limited space I'd like to find one that can do everything well. May be asking too much at a cheap price point though.
Hoosegow
3:28p, 3/21/23
In reply to 2girlsdad
Your standard squat bar weighs 55 pounds and is designed to not have any whip. When you are squatting heavy weight, imagine what happens when the weight whips - gets you out of the groove and can **** you up.

My recommendation is to get a good power bar. Unless you are squatting a lot of weight, a good bar is all you need. I'd recommend Texas Power Bars (they sell squat bars as well). Ohio, Mammoth, and Rogue bars are fine.

If you are wanting a specialized squat bar, I'd suggest spending money on a cambered bar (Rogue) or a safety squat bar (prefer Elitefts).
ttha_aggie_09
3:42p, 3/21/23
In reply to Hoosegow
This. Our gym uses deadlift bars on all of the platforms but our benches use a bar that is close, albeit lighter, than a true squat bar. I steal those bars when I squat.

Squatting anything over 405 on a bar with too much whip is horrendous… feels like the plates are going to slap my ears.
2girlsdad
6:35a, 3/22/23
Thanks for the bar suggestions. Think I'll go with the Texas Power bar (I already have a SS bar).

To change gears just a little, I do need to get some cardio in and thinking of getting a fan bike so I can get a 20 minute HIIT in post lifting (as well as warmup). Thoughts on brands?
bam02
6:48a, 3/22/23
In reply to 2girlsdad
I have an Assault bike. I love it but would probably lean Echo bike for the belt vs chain system. The Assault bike is rock solid, though.
CC09LawAg
8:04a, 3/28/23
Anybody have some recommendations for material for bench press technique?

I have improved a lot over the past year with my leg drive, but I feel like I am not staying "tight" through the lift. Feels like my bar path could be a lot cleaner, but I need to start videoing to be sure.

My usual sticking point is about 4 to 6 inches off my chest; I try not to bounce the weight off my chest unless I know I am going for a PR rep.
bam02
9:20a, 3/28/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Yes, the video will probably help you to evaluate your bar path and your elbow angle. Squeezing the shoulder blades together is a good mental cue for me, anyway. I'm sure you will get some better advice on here than I can offer.
Hoosegow
9:36a, 3/28/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Check out the So You Think you Can Bench series from EliteFTS:

Nothing, however, will take the place of a knowledgeable lifting partner that knows your technique and can give you feedback.

Remember, there is no right technique. There is only the right technique for you.

On a side note, I have seen many people quickly increase their bench number by simply incorporating floor presses as an auxilliary lift.
Hoosegow
9:43a, 3/28/23
In reply to bam02
In my opinion, that is not the best cue. For people that have good technique, the communication is solid, but for a beginner, the better advice is bend the bar. The cue is better to understand the mechanics.

Don't misunderstand me. I completely get the information trying to be given and it isn't incorrect. But think about trying to bend a bar in the bench position. It engages everything, where as pinching the shoulder blades is back focused.

Much like spread the floor with sqautting.
CC09LawAg
10:11a, 3/28/23
In reply to Hoosegow
Can you explain the floor press and how that helps? I've seen people do it and it honestly makes zero sense to me mechanically - it just seems like a bench press with a more limited range of motion.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 41
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings