***Weightlifting Thread***
98,383 Views | 1438 Replies
bam02
5:54a, 4/4/23
In reply to jtraggie99
Are you starting him with just a bar and no plates? I would stick with the barbell back squat until he gets comfortable with it. It will click. I'd have him work on it every day or at least every other day until he starts to add some plates to the bar.
Hoosegow
9:17a, 4/4/23
Squats are very technical and the "perfect" form is very different from person to person. I've lifted for years with a guy who has such a wide stance his toes are almost pointed completely out. I routinely lifted with one of the best 93KG lifters in the world. He has one of the most messed up forms I have ever seen, but he is so strong and knows what he is doing, I can't critique him other than tell him what I see.

Teach to squat on a box. You can go one of two different ways. If he has good depth, set the box to slightly below legal depth. If not, set up about an inch or two above depth and work your way down to slightly below legal depth and then increase weight.

So, start with the set up. He needs to think unracking is the hardest thing he is goint to do. Grip the bar where he is comfortable. I had to go all the way to the rings because my shoulders are trash. But, generally, I liked to go as narrow as I could - mind you it was wider than most. I also liked the eagle claw grip because it allowed my shoulders to rotate a bit more under the bar. As coach/spotter, make sure he is centered. Grip the bar, take a big breath, engage the lats and lift off with the hips, not the back. Take one step back and then another. Get into position.

The correct position will be dependent on him and his body. I go probably a bit wider than what most would consider wide, but not rediculously wide. At the gym I use, the rack isn't wide enough for me to get super comfortable. I need about another inch (I know, I know, that's what she said). Also, have him play with his foot position. Try a 30-45 degree angle and adjust. Figure all this out with just a bar. You may have to adjust where the box is until you learn his set up.

Once you are set up, break the lift into three basic steps. I'll do my best to explain how, but I figure I will fail at some level.. In the set up, he wants to take one or two big breaths. The less time you spend getting ready, the less tired you get for the actuall lift. The last breath, take in as much as he can, and engage the back. At the same time have him push his belly into his belt. From a coaching stanpoint, I follow the lifter from the unrack through the set up with my hand on the back until he is in position. My keys to the lifter, once he is in position is BIG back (at that time, I will tap where they tend to start loose, either not engaging the lats or middle of the back). That tapping tells the lifter exactly where you need them to get tight. At the same time, I'm yelling breath so they know to get what they can.

Side note here on using a belt. I describe using one this way. Think about having to take a big dump. Think about trying to not take a dump and pushing to take one at the same time. He wants to push his belly into the belt. That will help him get his torso tight.

Starting the lift. The 3 main cues are break at the hips, sit back and spread the floor/knees out.. The goal is to be able to get his shins as perpendicular to the ground as you can.

Break at the hips - most new lifters start the lift with bending their backs instead of breaking at the hips. This IMMEDIATELY gets them out of position. Watch him start the lift. Get him to break at the hips.

Sit back - this will help get his shins more perpendicular. This is hard for most lifters because they are weak in the core. As he is going down (with just the bar). You may have to grab is hips and gently pull him backwards (you don't want him fall onto the box). When down in the hole, have him look into a mirror. Point out how bad or good his angle is. If you need to, pull him back on the box, so he knows how it is supposed to feel.

Spread the floor/knees out - it is basically the same concept. You are wanting his knees to track in line with his body. You will see most lifters knees cave in. That is because their hips are weak and they are compensating. You gotta get the hips stronger. The correct way to teach this, and you can try it with no weight, is to put a towel down on the floor. Have him get into his final lifting stance. Tell him to try and grip the towel with his toes and rip it by spreading his feet out while his heels are rooted.

Once he is down on the box, now this one is hard to explain, you don't want him to do a touch and go, you don't want him to do pause rep, but what you want his him to be able to have enough time to recognize the feel of the right position.

The cues you should concentrate on are pretty simple. Explode, knees out and head back.

Explode - once he makes the decision to come up, don't mess around, get the f up. Squeeze the glutes and get the up.

Knees out - again, same concept as above, you will see a lot of lifters collapse their knees as they explode - once again weak hips. FWIW, for women, it is more pronounced due to their hip morphology (no comment on the it is okay for men to compete with women if they identify as such). So watch him during the lift. At anytime you see him start to collapse,...KNEES OUT.

Head back - the second thing newbies tend to do is pitch forward. This is cause for back injuries. You want the weight centered over the hips and feet, as much as possible. If you see him pitch forward, the cue is head back. If he forces his head back (not too dramatically), this forces his torso up and gets him into position.

There is a lot of information here. I am not sure if I explained what I was trying to explain. Let me know if you have questions.

jtraggie99
2:24p, 4/4/23
In reply to bam02
Yeah, just the bar for now.
jtraggie99
2:25p, 4/4/23
In reply to Hoosegow
This is excellent man! I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that up. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for!
CC09LawAg
9:18a, 4/6/23
I know this will be difficult to answer without photos or video, but figured I'd take a stab at it...

I have hit a little plateau with my deadlifts - I got stuck at 320, deloaded and switched programs, and have worked my way back up to 330 but have failed two weeks in a row, first time with one rep and second time with two reps (my goal is 5)...

I am using straps, but man they sure don't seem to help my grip at all and almost seem to encourage the bar to rotate. Do the figure 8 straps help more? I have thought about switching to an over/under grip but that doesn't feel comfortable. If it's a huge difference maker I'll start doing it for more reps to get adjusted to it.

The thing I've noticed is that if I lose my rhythm/momentum and "relax" my body between reps, that is usually the point that I fail. I'm having a hard time figuring out if that failure is being caused by poor grip/the bar rotating, technique failure, or strength failure. My last set of 5 before my top set was is for 290 and by the last rep, I can usually feel my grip and form start to give a little bit, but the reps mostly feel strong. I only use the straps for my top set, I do 290 with double overhand grip and no straps pretty easily.

Any advice? Should I start with solving the grip issue and see if that is causing the rest of my form to get sloppy?

I am trying to hit the 1000 pound club and these deadlifts are holding me back!
bam02
9:40a, 4/6/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Are you using a mixed grip and chalk? I feel like your grip should not be a problem for you at this point at that weight
CC09LawAg
9:51a, 4/6/23
In reply to bam02
No mixed grip, I have both hands overhand, and no chalk. Just in my garage, so don't have any chalk in there.
AgEng06
10:23a, 4/6/23
In reply to bam02
bam02 said:

Are you using a mixed grip and chalk? I feel like your grip should not be a problem for you at this point at that weight

This. Do this before worrying about any straps.
AggieT
10:42a, 4/6/23
Chalk

Have you tried a hook grip?
CC09LawAg
10:56a, 4/6/23
Seems like overwhelming advice is ditch the straps for now - I will try that next week.

I will try mixed grip, but feel like I have trouble engaging my lats as much - think it's just a mental block and I need to work on muscle memory with more reps.

Never tried hook grip - I have heard it mentioned but not sure of the mechanics of it.
AggieT
12:59p, 4/6/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Wrap your thumbs around the bar, then grab them with your fingers from the other side. It will not be comfortable at first, but you get used to it.

bam02
1:23p, 4/6/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Definitely get chalk. Academy sells it. I like the mixed grip but I don't use the hook grip. I just haven't needed to yet. If I was pulling 500# my grip might be an issue but I'm not so chalk and mixed grip is solid for me.
PascalsWager
7:40p, 4/8/23
Today was a W for me. And I wanted to share it with y'all! I exclusively work with dumbbells at home. I'm traveling and got a day pass at an actual gym and it turns out dumbbell to barbell weight doesn't translate. I could get 20-25% more weight on the barbell than with two dumbbells. Now on a bench this makes sense to me because you can get deeper, OHP you get stability. But on the lower body stuff I was shocked. And it makes no sense to me. Using 100lb dumbbells on an RDL and putting 200 on a barbell should be the same, right? But its not even close. I was surprised how much I could move on some of the pressing machines and rowing machines too. Bulgarian split squats are the exception. Easier to hold dumbbells to the side than to put weight on my back.

I learned three things today. 1) that dumbbells weight doesn't translate. 2) to occasionally test my progress against objective standards. 3) to celebrate the progress. Just this one day at the gym has completely reenergized me to keep going and that all my work is worth something.

I hope everyone has as good of a workout this week as I did. And once again wanted to thank everyone here for answering questions and the engagement overall. It helps newer guys like me a lot.
CC09LawAg
7:38a, 4/9/23
In reply to PascalsWager
Congrats! It's always great to see your work pay off. It's sometimes hard to appreciate the small incremental changes.

Have you considered using a barbell at home? I love dumbbell stuff but there's just something about the feeling when you load weight on a barbell and move it that is hard to replicate.
CC09LawAg
8:29a, 4/11/23
I've lost count of my dumb questions in this thread, but I have another one...

Set up for barbell rows. I recently checked my ego and deloaded these to try to focus on getting my back closer to parallel to the ground; before, I was definitely in a more upright position than I probably should have been.

My question is, what is the easiest way to get into position for your reps? Is it to deadlift it off the floor, and then hip hinge into position? Or have it on the rack, lift up, then step back from the rack and then hinge?

Rogue recently came out with a pad attachment for rows that I will probably invest in at some point, but until then I need to work on these. I am feeling it way more in my lower back than I probably should.
AgEng06
9:47a, 4/11/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Do Pendlay rows. The barbell starts on the ground for each rep.
bam02
11:00a, 4/11/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Either way you described is fine. I usually do my first set by starting off with the bar on my spotter arms and then picking it up and just stepping back to begin. After that all my sets are starting from the bar on the floor more like a dead lift.

This is a great fundamental exercise and personally I don't see any need for any sort of padded support to do these. But whatever you prefer. I have never given it much thought but the weight I usually am using is no issue for me to maintain proper angle with my back .
CC09LawAg
1:00p, 4/11/23
In reply to bam02
Thanks. I may try doing the Pendlay rows. I'm not obsessed with any kind of # or have any kind of goal for my rows, so I'm fine deloading and trying some new stuff out till I find something I like.

Re: the pad: it seems like the easiest way to recreate a t-bar row machine from the gym at home with minimal space taken up - basically, I am looking for a way to sometimes load it solely for strength gains in my back while not limiting myself to what my lower back/core can handle.
CC09LawAg
8:22p, 4/12/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Update:

Mixed grip saves the day! Pulled 330 for 5 relatively easy. Hoping this change gives me a nice little bump the next 2 or 3 weeks.

These deadlifts are a grind!
bam02
8:25p, 4/12/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Nice! Way to go!
TikkaShooter
9:54a, 4/26/23
Question on wrist straps and other gym equip specific to reducing grip strain when hanging from a bar....

Trying to do more pull/chin-up and hanging ab work, but my shoulders end up killing me when using wrist straps. Is there something else on the market that can reduce that strain, while still supplementing my grip strength for hanging work?
CC09LawAg
12:43p, 4/26/23
In reply to TikkaShooter
I don't think I've ever had my grip be a limiting factor on pullups or chin ups - are you doing them with added weight? If not, I think you need to work on strengthening your grip rather than finding a workaround.

For abs, they make slings that you can use your elbow/upper arm for support that clip onto the bar so that your grip isn't a limiting factor.
TikkaShooter
1:00p, 4/26/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Yes, using a dip belt with weight for chins/pulls.

Good call on the slings. It's the time spent hanging (volume of ab work) that really hurts my shoulders I think. All that pure hang time
Hoosegow
1:41p, 4/26/23
In reply to TikkaShooter
You might look at Versa Grips. I never used them but the concept is no different than wrist wraps and it seems easier to set up - especially for pull-ups.

https://www.versagripps.com/
Capitol Ag
3:05p, 4/26/23
In reply to Hoosegow
Hoosegow said:

You might look at Versa Grips. I never used them but the concept is no different than wrist wraps and it seems easier to set up - especially for pull-ups.

Love my versa grips. Especially for hypertrophy/body building. One note, while I get in strength one might want to rely on grip and the strengthening of that grip in your lifts, when it comes to hypertrophy/bodybuilding where the goal is muscle growth and aesthetics, one doesn't want to have your grip be the limiting factor in a lift. So, I very much encourage people to use any grip aid that they can.
Diggity
3:13p, 4/26/23
nm
CC09LawAg
8:51a, 4/27/23
Periodization question/looking for guidance:

I am wrapping up week 12 of Madcow. From what I've read, the program is really only meant to be run in 8-12 week cycles. I can feel the fatigue starting to set in so I am looking for "what's next" and maybe a program more suited to my goals. I am currently pushing 900 pounds in the big 3 lifts and my goal is 1000, so I will probably try to squeeze four more weeks out of it if my body allows.

This is really the first time I have ever reached what I think is beginner-intermediate level lifting and I am trying to understand periodization better - it sounds like you can do it on a weekly or monthly basis depending on the workout.

I don't want to gain size or bodybuild, my goal is purely strength. I've looked at the Texas method, and it seems like a decent fit. From what I've read it squeezes the periodization into weekly cycles. Once I've reached my strength goals, I want to work in two days a week of plyometric workouts.

So I guess my question is: if I am training purely for strength, should I just run Madcow till my body says stop, do the four week deload, and then run it back? Should I try Texas method? Should I be cycling in hypertrophy style workouts and strength workouts in four week blocks?

What would you recommend?
True Anomaly
10:11a, 4/27/23
In reply to Capitol Ag
Capitol Ag said:

Hoosegow said:

Love my versa grips. Especially for hypertrophy/body building. One note, while I get in strength one might want to rely on grip and the strengthening of that grip in your lifts, when it comes to hypertrophy/bodybuilding where the goal is muscle growth and aesthetics, one doesn't want to have your grip be the limiting factor in a lift. So, I very much encourage people to use any grip aid that they can.
I also use and love Versa grips
CC09LawAg
11:13a, 5/8/23
Anybody ever bought any equipment from Revolt Fitness? They have a couple of rack mounted items that are intriguing but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.
neronero
3:43a, 5/10/23
I did some crossfit a while back and learnt my lesson with the weightlifting. The most important here to take it slowly. At this stage of my life i have a slightly damaged back and taking it really slowly with the exercises. This morning went with the chair yoga routine https://betterme.world/articles/chair-yoga-guide/, which actually felt great, after couple of days of doing nothing.
Capitol Ag
3:39p, 5/12/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
CC09LawAg said:

Anybody ever bought any equipment from Revolt Fitness? They have a couple of rack mounted items that are intriguing but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.
No experience but I checked out the website. Interesting and might be worth the try. Belt squat machines can be expensive so if this works that would make a nice alternative.
Beau Holder
4:12p, 5/12/23
Random question, apologies in advance. Seeking maybe some inputs from anyone who's been through this.

I've been fortunate in a decade of lifting to have never torn anything, but I'm worried my run of luck ended today. Loaded 405 to squat, which I've done plenty before but not in a couple months, after having done 12x315 and 7x365 and feeling fine. So I was warmed up and it wasn't an unusual jump up in weight. So I go into the eccentric and literally within the first second I feel a pop in my adductor.

Drop the weight, stand up in shock, I can walk around and put my weight on it, but searing pain whenever I bend the knee and then put weight. As I've driven home the pain is increasing, no discoloration or swelling yet though as far as I can tell. Guess I'm looking for a) what would be a telltale sign that's what happened, b) best way to treat. Trying to figure out if I need to go see someone (and how long I need to wait to make that call, i.e. tomorrow or later or sooner).

And if that is what happened, are my days of squatting done? It was so sudden and random that I don't know how I'm ever going to feel like it won't just happen again.
bam02
6:11a, 5/13/23
Dang I'm sorry to hear that. How old are you? I would definitely say your days of lifting are not done, but I do think for someone who has lifted for a decade and lifting pretty heavy weights that you may need to back off at a certain point. I did after 40. It sucks in a way to know I have hit my max weights but I'm ok with it now.

Knock on wood I have never had any serious injuries from lifting but do know that I am just slower to heal now and so that's reason enough for me to back off.

I could be all wrong and maybe being too conservative so who knows. I hope you recover quick! No matter what I think you can get back to squatting and still maintain your strength long term.
Beau Holder
4:00p, 5/13/23
In reply to bam02
Appreciate your response. I'm 31, almost 32. I know that means I have a long way to go but I definitely already notice my body not doing things it did at 26 in terms of recovery.

Still no swelling or discoloration today, it's painful but not immobilizing. Suspecting that I might've escaped with only a moderate strain. It was just jarring because I've never experienced a literal "pop" like that inside my body. Guess if it proceeds to heal itself in a few weeks, I'll ease my way back in again.
bam02
4:13p, 5/13/23
In reply to Beau Holder
I have also felt things pop or twinge before and thought… "Oh crap I really hurt something" and then within a day or two I am totally fine, so who knows. Hopefully that's the case for you.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 6 of 42
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings