Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

GLP-1 Peptides Mounjaro/Tirzepatide, Ozempic/Wegovy/Semaglutide - any experience?

12,002 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Teddy Perkins
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been reading more and more about people's fantastic weight loss with these peptides. Tirzepatide is more effective and had fewer reported side effects, but is only FDA approved (as of now) for T2 diabetes. Only Wegovy is FDA approved for weight loss, but I read Mounjaro/Tizepatide is being fast tracked for this.

On Tirzepatide, the average (!) weight loss was 15% of body weight at 72 weeks. There have been anecdotal reports of insane weight loss and people having to remind themselves to eat. Tirzepatide can be prescribed by docs off label, but the cost is double and probably not covered by insurance.

Anyone using any of these? I'm thinking to trying out Semaglutide. Will post results if I do. I'm not morbidly obese or anything like that, but have had stubborn weight I can't lose with my regular dieting/exercise. I was single when I was at my goal weight of 175, but I'm not single anymore and there is all kinds of tempting food in the house now. I also have sleep apnea and HBP poorly controlled by drugs, so any weight loss would be awesome.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107519

True Anomaly
AG
No matter which drug you go with, just make sure you do resistance training while using it to help prevent some of your weight loss being muscle
The Lost
https://www.goodrx.com/wegovy/what-happens-when-you-stop-taking-wegovy

Make sure you're prepared to be on it forever. Also most places recommend for true obesity, not just losing a few pounds.
Joseydog
AG
My husband is on Mounjaro and has lost about 40 pounds in two months (from 280 to 240). He is 6'2". It is super expensive at $1000/per month though. For the first few weeks until his body adjusted, he would get nauseated when he ate. The issue was that it did not lessen his appetite, just made him feel sick when he ate. He has stalled the last few weeks and I have told him to start lifting some weights and do some walking to re-start the weight loss.
aggie4231
AG
Been on Mounjaro since Nov. Went from 255 to 200ish. Definitely can't eat the volume of food as I used to. But do need to eat, don't try to starve/skip meals. That is when I can over eat.

On the 10mg dose, tried to get a refill for over a week. Non available, and didn't know when they'd get more. Decided to get a lower dose, definitely been harder.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
MouthBQ98
AG
Chugging 16-24 Oz of water when you start to feel hungry is a lot cheaper. Just saying there are alternatives that cut desire to eat.
NoahAg
Quote:

I'm thinking to trying out Semaglutide. Will post results if I do. I'm not morbidly obese or anything like that, but have had stubborn weight I can't lose with my regular dieting/exercise.
I'm not one to judge but getting on prescription drugs just to lose "stubborn weight" seems extreme. Unless you have some other condition I would think cutting out processed foods, sugar, and other carbs would be healthier.
CC09LawAg
OP is known for shortsighted decisions.

On a serious note, I agree with the above. If you drink alcohol, cutting that out would probably get rid of that excess weight and actually save you money in the long run.
VegasAg86
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I've been reading more and more about people's fantastic weight loss with these peptides. Tirzepatide is more effective and had fewer reported side effects, but is only FDA approved (as of now) for T2 diabetes. Only Wegovy is FDA approved for weight loss, but I read Mounjaro/Tizepatide is being fast tracked for this.

On Tirzepatide, the average (!) weight loss was 15% of body weight at 72 weeks. There have been anecdotal reports of insane weight loss and people having to remind themselves to eat. Tirzepatide can be prescribed by docs off label, but the cost is double and probably not covered by insurance.

Anyone using any of these? I'm thinking to trying out Semaglutide. Will post results if I do. I'm not morbidly obese or anything like that, but have had stubborn weight I can't lose with my regular dieting/exercise. I was single when I was at my goal weight of 175, but I'm not single anymore and there is all kinds of tempting food in the house now. I also have sleep apnea and HBP poorly controlled by drugs, so any weight loss would be awesome.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2107519

KidDoc has several posts about these drugs:

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/3353355/replies/64024211

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/3362733/replies/64327648

Edit to add - those are a starting point. I'd just search his ID and read his posts on it.
fc2112
Seems like they are just starting to discover some of the drawbacks to these drugs. Seen some people who've had real issues with them.

Probably a good choice for the morbidly obese. But for those of us trying to lose a few pounds to better our 10K time, probably a poor choice.
Dr T and the Women
AG
We manage these meds

The hard part is insurance coverage

I found a compounding pharmacy that I trust so now can offer to patients for a fraction of the price
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RustyBoltz
AG
A better strength training and cardio regimen would probably do more to help your HBP and curb your sleep apnea than shortcutting a few pounds you'll likely gain back immediately.
Aggie95
AG
My FIL is on Ozempic. He has lost weight but has also lost quite a bit of muscle mass. Be careful.
Also, I don't believe these are really long term prescriptions simply for weight loss and once you stop the meds you gain the weight back (and then some) quickly.
fc2112
So go talk to Kid Doc if really interested.

The way it works - your hunger mechanism is just killed by these drugs. So you're not really hungry - BUT you also just have no pleasure from eating. I's just like a mechanical thing you have to do occasionally, which is why it works so well.

The drawback to that versus normal weight loss - you don't learn how to control your hunger. So as soon as you go off them, your hunger and pleasure from food returns 10X. You have learned no coping mechanisms of how to deal with this hunger so it's terribly hard to fight it.

I think it would behoove all of us to remember our goal is not to lose weight but to be healthy. Even if we are overweight per the tables, we can still be healthy if we are eating clean and exercising regularly.
Hoosegow
I know of three employees who are on one of these drugs (not sure which ones) due to diabetis. 2 out of the 3 are suffering from some unknown stomach issues that the doctors can't figure out why. They both dropped using them and still haven't recovered (not saying that the drugs caused the issue). The third lost a little weight but has no issues (his sugar levels are now under control).

All anecdotal, but barring morbid obesity (like I'm going to die), I would not get on them until after several years have passed and the safety has been proven out.

From a drug company perspective, look at how many people in the US are obese. Can you imagine how much money they are going to make if they make a product that you have to be on for the rest of your life AND it extends your life? That's a money printing machine. Plus then all the doctor's get to make their bank by all the follow up appointments.
True Anomaly
AG
I believe the drugs are the most useful when paired with some sort of program or oversight by a professional who helps the patient learn better eating habits and prove they can eat more sustainably….then slowly get weaned off the drug to make a bounceback less likely
AJ02
AG
Don't forget about "Ozempic Face" too. I know a woman who used it. She's probably mid 30s. She looks like she's in her 60s in the face because of how haggard she looks.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I've also heard this can affect the uh....bottom...as well.
TurboVelo
AG
AJ02 said:

Don't forget about "Ozempic Face" too. I know a woman who used it. She's probably mid 30s. She looks like she's in her 60s in the face because of how haggard she looks.
That's mostly the effect of losing weight / fat in the face. When I've lost weight, I've always looked older and when I gain it back I look younger (and fatter). Our skin isn't as elastic when we age, so losing layers underneath has an effect on the exterior.
Dr T and the Women
AG
There is no magic to weight loss... you take in less calories than you burn and you lose weight.

The problem is for 2/3 of Americans they can't do that.

These meds just make you not want to eat as much. Previous things like phentermine do the same... they are just not safe to take long term

These meds have improved long term health outcomes. If you stop... you are hungry again and gain the weight back.

These meds are meant to be long term/forever.

Yes, if you lose 50 lbs you may have a haggard face and flat ass.... file that in the common sense department
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GeorgiAg
AG
I don't want to do it for vanity. I have high blood pressure controlled by meds and also my A1C is getting shaky. That's the primary reason.

Although losing weight is good for self esteem and I can fit in some of my expensive suits again.
GeorgiAg
AG
AJ02 said:

I think non-Ozempic fat face is worse, especially for the morbidly obese.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ozempic/top/?t=all
VegasAg86
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I don't want to do it for vanity. I have high blood pressure controlled by meds and also my A1C is getting shaky. That's the primary reason.

Although losing weight is good for self esteem and I can fit in some of my expensive suits again.
I'd recommend looking into intermittent fasting and a low carb diet. Eating multiple small meals and following the food pyramid is a prescription for type 2 diabetes for many.

KidDoc
AG
Nice to see some people actually reading my posts!

These drugs are amazing. As already mentioned you better be on vitamins and exercising even when on them as they will dramatically curb your appetite and eating volume. For me they did not change the pleasure of eating just the volume. I was on Wegovy for about a year and dropped 50 lbs. Been off for 9 months and crept up 15 but most of that was due to a few recent vacations and I'm beating it back down at the moment.

They offer real hope for treatment but if you don't change your caloric balance/activity you are going to rebound as already mentioned.

All of the side effects are 100% predictable. If you don't cut your portions in half you are going to be bloated. Getting pancreatitis is not a shock if you aren't eating and get biliary stasis. Having ozempic face from abrupt fat loss is completely expected.

I'm hoping that cost will come down as competition heats up in the GLP-1 market. There are oral formulations that are also looking very promising.

These drugs have been out for years, I wouldn't wait especially if your insurance covers it, you have BMI > 30 especially with comorbidities. As mentioned I would not start them to drop that last 15 lbs.

dlp3719
AG
You asked about personal experiences so here's mine. I've been on 50mg of Ozempic (started at 25mg for first 4 weeks) for 3-4 months. (I think Wigovy tops out at 200mg.) Happy to share my experience.

I'm down 8lbs (241 to 233). I was/am type 2 diabetic. It's dropped my A1C from 6.6 to 6.2 over that time.

I have not had any negative side effects. I usually skip a meal a day (usually breakfast), eat 1 kids meal a day (lunch but sometimes dinner) or split a meal with one of my kids, and eat 1 normal sized meal a day.

I did overeat once and felt miserable. I feel much fuller, much more often.

I've struggled with weight since I was out of high school. I've tried most everything - WW, extreme exercise (marathons, triathlons), Intermittent fasting, Keto, whatever. I've tried it. Lost the most with Keto but weight always came back.

I do not have stomach issues (motion sickness, diarrhea, naussea, etc.) Have not experienced any on Ozempic. I do poop less often (went from like everyday to once every 3 days).

It's weird how full I feel on so much less food. It's also amazing how much easier it is to refuse food and sweets. I used to eat 2 pints of ice cream per week. No cravings now. Much easier to pass.

Let me know if you got questions.
GeorgiAg
AG
Thanks. I'm on semaglutide. 1 week. 3-4 pounds down.

Felt sick the first day. No problems since. When I do extreme keto, I can lose weight, but I have to be extreme to do so. I'm gonna try this for a little while and see what happens. If I could lose 40 pounds, I'd be at my perfect weight.

Started long walks and increased my weight lifting.
dlp3719
AG
What dosage did you start at?

As a tip, I do enjoy playing games and testing myself. For example, I wake up, I still feel full from last night, I'm not going to eat today until I feel hungry. They usually runs into the afternoon that I take my first bite of the day (still drink caffeine in the morning.)

Or I'm going to order a kids meal at lunch and see if I feel hungry before dinner. If I do, I'll have a snack. If I don't, I won't.

Make sure you are watching the quality of your food too given the lower volume. I focus on veggies, fruit, protein to try to make sure I'm getting enough nutrition.

Again, if you overeat, you'll probably only do it once. It's pretty miserable.
GeorgiAg
AG
The starting dose. .25mg. We'll. See how it goes.

I've mostly been eating only once a day.
KidDoc
AG
dlp3719 said:

What dosage did you start at?

As a tip, I do enjoy playing games and testing myself. For example, I wake up, I still feel full from last night, I'm not going to eat today until I feel hungry. They usually runs into the afternoon that I take my first bite of the day (still drink caffeine in the morning.)

Or I'm going to order a kids meal at lunch and see if I feel hungry before dinner. If I do, I'll have a snack. If I don't, I won't.

Make sure you are watching the quality of your food too given the lower volume. I focus on veggies, fruit, protein to try to make sure I'm getting enough nutrition.

Again, if you overeat, you'll probably only do it once. It's pretty miserable.
Yeah I ate a whole whataburger- no fries just plain ole burger when I first started Wegovy and man I was bloated!
Discovery77
AG
I was on Monjauro but due to the shortages my Endocrinologist put me on Ozempic.

I have lost quite a bit of weight, but also changed my lifestyle, got my sleep apnea treated, and now workout 5 days a week, incorporating cardio and weights.

Happy to answer any questions!
anaggieshusband
I was in Mounjaro for one year, lost 46 lbs.
Coupon expired and I'm not going to pay 1200 a month for it, so I'm probably going to use compound semaglutide for awhile
Ags-R-Better
What is everyone paying for this? I have seen a few at $1000+ a month, but I assume that these are without insurance. I need to go to my doctor to get checked out, but I have no doubt I should qualify in the obese category, just need to check with my insurance to confirm what their coverage is. Thanks.
KidDoc
AG
Ags-R-Better said:

What is everyone paying for this? I have seen a few at $1000+ a month, but I assume that these are without insurance. I need to go to my doctor to get checked out, but I have no doubt I should qualify in the obese category, just need to check with my insurance to confirm what their coverage is. Thanks.
My insurance was covering it with bmi > 30 for $35 a month or so. Once I dropped below 30 bmi they no longer covered it and now they aren't covering Wegovy at all but they do cover Mounjaro. So it really depends on your specific insurance policy. Many policies specifically state they don't cover any weight loss treatment period. Medicare/Medicaid fall in this category they only will help patients once they are sick due to obesity not for prevention or correction of obesity/metabolic disorder.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I just started it myself. Sample of ozempic .5mg q wk. plus keto. Dropped 5#s in 2 weeks. Need to lose 40. Appetite less for sure and full quickly. Problem is my insurance wont cover it cause I am not fat enough. Anyone have experience with the compounding formulations?
Reel Aggies
AG
On 2mg ozempic qweek, down 47# from 336 to 289. Appetite has really dropped off. I have lost muscle but a lot of water (bloat) and fat. On TRT so has preserved some muscle I think. I feel great. Joints don't ache anymore, BP great on half the BP meds and my A1c is back around 5.6-5.7. I have zero plans to get off. My insurance bc/bs covers it, $15/mo. The improvements in my health and long term CV benefits outweigh any potential risks.

Retatrutide is going to be the new one to watch. It shows to actually reverse fatty liver.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.