****2024 Trail and Ultra Running****
20,556 Views | 430 Replies
AggieOO
9:08a, 1/16/24
In reply to Dafstun
Not that it really matters much which section was missing, but...

i compared the section just after chapas from 2020 to saturday on my strava data, and yes, there was a slight variance, but from what I can tell, its less than .2 mile difference.

the section that appears to be missing this year was the 9a-Cedar trail.

2020:

2024:

AggieOO
9:54a, 1/16/24
just saw irunfar called out the short course as well.

Men's winner was a "course record," but wouldn't have beat Walmsley's time if it'd been the full distance. Impressive as hell, nonetheless.
AggieOO
10:15a, 1/16/24
In reply to Swarely
Swarely said:

Whoa, that's big. Mine showed 30.5, but I figured that was just because I lost gps in some parts of the valleys. I'm not seeing an email though.
just saw the email in my spam folder, fyi.
aggiespartan
11:54a, 1/16/24
In reply to AggieOO
AggieOO said:

Men's winner was a "course record," but wouldn't have beat Walmsley's time if it'd been the full distance. Impressive as hell, nonetheless.
I can't understand how anybody runs that fast on those rocks.
Swarely
12:40p, 1/16/24
In reply to AggieOO
Thanks. Just found it.
AggieOO
2:02p, 1/16/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

AggieOO said:

I can't understand how anybody runs that fast on those rocks.
while they are still moving pretty quickly on the technical sections, you have to remember, they are absolutely blazing on anything flat/non-technical. That course is tough, but there's a lot of runnable/fast stuff out there. But yes, you are correct. Its crazy how they are able to run that fast. Had that same discussion with another runner during the 50K on sunday.
aggiespartan
11:14a, 1/17/24
What do you guys do about blisters if they don't hurt? Leave them, cut them open, tape them up?
AggieOO
11:17a, 1/17/24
In reply to aggiespartan
i drain them. keep them covered during runs until they are healed so i don't form new ones.
Dafstun
1:04p, 1/17/24
In reply to aggiespartan
I've resisted the urge to pop the huge one on my big toe. That may change though, it hurts.

I had another one burst when I kicked a rock late in the race. I thought I ripped off a toenail. That one I've cleaned, applied neosporin, and covered with a band-aid.

I've read the risk of infection increases dramatically with a popped or cut open blister.
aggiespartan
1:28p, 1/17/24
I actually don't think this is a blister now. During Bandera, I could feel a blister forming but it felt like it burst on it's own. It looks like that may have happened a few times and now there's a huge callus. But, my toe is numb. I can't see any liquid under the skin though. When I walk, it feels like I have a whole bunch of tape wrapped around it, but there's nothing on it.
Swarely
10:36p, 1/17/24
I leave them alone for the most part. Cover the bad ones if I keep training. One time I did a baby foot peel one in the foot. Ended up with a hole. Was really strange.
Dafstun
9:31a, 1/18/24
My wife thinks I'm being picky, but technically I still have not run a 100k since Bandera clocked in short at about 97.5k.

I think it's time to start searching for another race.
aggiespartan
9:54a, 1/18/24
In reply to Dafstun
Dafstun said:

My wife thinks I'm being picky, but technically I still have not run a 100k since Bandera clocked in short at about 97.5k.

Just run 100 miles next

I'm probably going to pace someone at Grasslands. It's about 2 weeks before my first 100 at Buffalo Run. I'm getting pretty pumped up about it. Looking forward to a course that isn't super rocky.

AggieOO
10:11a, 1/18/24
In reply to Dafstun
Dafstun said:

as someone who has run a bunch of them, you've run 100k in my book.

trail/ultra races are never exact. we round off around here...and sometimes that's even rounding down. I don't tell people i ran a 103 mile race when a hundred is long.
aggiespartan
4:55p, 1/18/24
got my quiver today! Now I just need the poles to come back in stock.
aggiespartan
9:56a, 1/20/24
The guy that won Bandera has a YouTube video up. He's just a kid!
Dafstun
11:47a, 1/20/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

The guy that won Bandera has a YouTube video up. He's just a kid!

He's legit fast. Looks like he will be a contender in other races if he continues.

FYI. Race pics from the weekend have been posted.

https://lwp.smugmug.com/2024-Race-Photography/Bandera-Trail-Runs-2024/Day-1
AggieOO
1:04p, 1/20/24
In reply to Dafstun
Definitely someone to keep an eye on. Obviously with the short course, his pace wouldn't have beaten Jim's course record, but I wonder if he'd have pushed harder and taken it down if the course was the correct length.
aggiespartan
1:10p, 1/20/24
In reply to AggieOO
he took some time at a couple of aid stations on the second loop. From the video, it seemed like there were a few ways he could improve and he mentioned a couple things with nutrition. Seems like a nice kid.
Swarely
9:25p, 1/20/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Got a link?
aggiespartan
9:28p, 1/20/24
In reply to Swarely
Swarely said:

Got a link?
Swarely
9:33p, 1/20/24

agdoc-ultrarunner
9:49p, 1/21/24
In reply to AggieOO
AggieOO said:

I've run AT100 twice if you want any Intel.

Thanks! I have paced the last 50km and loved it. The heat typically has been bad the last few yrs for this race.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiespartan
3:44p, 1/23/24
If anybody uses Squirrel's Nut Butter, I'm on their "adventure team" this year. 10% off code is Timberfriends (case sensitive). I don't get anything from it. Code is good through the end of the year.
AggieOO
4:13p, 1/23/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

If anybody uses Squirrel's Nut Butter, I'm on their "adventure team" this year. 10% off code is Timberfriends (case sensitive). I don't get anything from it. Code is good through the end of the year.
almost time to reorder for me, so i'll use it.
Tamuag04
4:21p, 1/23/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Stuff is a game changer. I always keep it within reach whether I am running in an ultra, hiking or backpacking or even navigating humanity at Disney World. Thanks for the code!
Dafstun
5:53p, 1/23/24
Never tried it before, but may. Thanks for the offer.
agdoc-ultrarunner
7:08p, 1/23/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

I am going to try it for rocky raccoon ; also got some body glide just in case. Chafing/blisters can derail things pretty quickly so can't be too careful
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiespartan
7:54p, 1/23/24
I've been using the cyclist version of it because it smells like peppermint. The regular one smells very natural.
Sponge
10:03p, 1/23/24
I once saw one of Dauwalter's 100 videos where she lathered nut butter all over her toes and feet before a 100. I started doing that and it works great.
Dafstun
7:10a, 1/24/24
I switched from Body Glide to KT Tape Chafe Safe. You can find it at HEB. It applies a lot smoother and is slicker than the Body Glide. Still comes in a deodorant stick style of applicator.
Tamuag04
9:27a, 1/24/24
I use Trail Toes for the feet and SNB for everything...umm...pelvic-ish. Body Glide is pretty good but applies kind of thicker and subsequently thins out when it gets heated by body temp. Not bad product at all but I have settiled into my Trail Toes and SNB combo for the last 5 ultras.
AggieOO
10:40a, 1/24/24
i use SNB for everything. have the stick for general application, but also have a couple of the small salves for feet, or quick application during the run.

i was using 2Toms before, which i really like. It works incredibly well, but I got tired of it leaking. I do still carry one one of the "moist towelettes" with me in my pack though. Those things are great for applying on the go.

body glide was great during my road marathon days, but it doesn't hold up worth a crap for ultras.
K Bo
2:39p, 1/24/24
In reply to K Bo
K Bo said:

I am looking for for a fall trail run outside Texas for the wife and I where we can also quasi-vacation. I'd be looking for marathon to 50K distance (something really challenging would be fun). My wife has run some half marathons in the past but is not currently a runner. She loves hiking and keeps saying she wants something to train for/work towards, so I think a half marathon type distance could work (if the schedule allows I'll run it with her). We looked at signing up for The Rut tomorrow (50K and 21K) but the scheduling is not ideal and we did Big Sky two years ago when I did the 28K. I have my eye on Jay Peak Trail Running Festival in Vermont (33mi and 11mi) but was curious if you guys had any other suggestions I might explore. TIA!
We settled on the Broken Arrow Skyrace in Tahoe in June. I think the 11K will be plenty challenging for my wife but reasonable enough that we can build a vacation around the run. I am signed up, as well, and I'm excited to run with her through her first trail race. Overall, Tahoe does not suck in June, the race looks really well put on, and the possibility of snow adds another layer of excitement. I really want to give the 46K a go as it sounds pretty gnarly but I'd have to waitlist and if accepted I wouldn't get to run with my wife.
AggieOO
3:09p, 1/24/24
In reply to K Bo
K Bo said:

K Bo said:

I am looking for for a fall trail run outside Texas for the wife and I where we can also quasi-vacation. I'd be looking for marathon to 50K distance (something really challenging would be fun). My wife has run some half marathons in the past but is not currently a runner. She loves hiking and keeps saying she wants something to train for/work towards, so I think a half marathon type distance could work (if the schedule allows I'll run it with her). We looked at signing up for The Rut tomorrow (50K and 21K) but the scheduling is not ideal and we did Big Sky two years ago when I did the 28K. I have my eye on Jay Peak Trail Running Festival in Vermont (33mi and 11mi) but was curious if you guys had any other suggestions I might explore. TIA!
We settled on the Broken Arrow Skyrace in Tahoe in June. I think the 11K will be plenty challenging for my wife but reasonable enough that we can build a vacation around the run. I am signed up, as well, and I'm excited to run with her through her first trail race. Overall, Tahoe does not suck in June, the race looks really well put on, and the possibility of snow adds another layer of excitement. I really want to give the 46K a go as it sounds pretty gnarly but I'd have to waitlist and if accepted I wouldn't get to run with my wife.
great choice! My wife, her brother, and her sister have all run that one. If Coop ever shows back up on the thread, he's run that one a couple times as well. Its tough, but its REALLY beautiful. Plus, there's great atmosphere with all the pros, media etc in town for this and then Western States the following weekend.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 13
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings