What are you reading right now?
128,726 Views | 751 Replies
Aggie1205
2:57p, 4/1/20
Finished The Swamp Fox by Oller. It's about Francis Marion. I thought it was very interesting overall and is very detailed about his campaigns. It didn't paint a very flattering picture of Sumter.

The book also covered just how terrorizing the faction fighting was in the South and how many times men switched sides based on who was winning at the time.
rw1987
1:15p, 4/3/20
Just finished Killers of the Flower Moon

Just started The Comanches by Fehrenbach
JABQ04
5:55a, 4/11/20
Based on a few posters before I started and finished "The Good Shepherd". Looking forward to the movie now
Frok
10:57p, 4/11/20
Just read "The Last Sherriff in Texas" by James P Mcoll.

I enjoyed it.
UTExan
7:30p, 4/16/20
Fire and Blood: the History of Mexico by T R Fehrenbach. A politically incorrect account published in the 1970s originally. 702 pages and very readable. His brother Charles Wentz Fehrenbach taught me at Tarleton State.
dcbowers
7:52p, 4/16/20
In reply to Frok
Frok said:

I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed the book, too.

My grandparents lived in Beeville from 1939 - 1991. My mom worked at the Beeville Bee-Picayune during the 1950's. They must have known Sheriff Vail Ennis, but I he never came up in conversation. The only person from the book who I ever met was Dr. Scott McNeil, who delivered my mom and older brother.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Smeghead4761
7:00a, 4/17/20
Well, I was going to read War of A Thousand Deserts, but my copy seems to have wandered off, and Evans is shut down for the time being.

So, I'm re-reading James McPherson's Ordeal by Fire, currently on Vol I.
CanyonAg77
7:23a, 4/17/20
In reply to Aggie1205
Swamp Fox? My favorite pilot currently flies with them.

Aquin
2:46p, 4/17/20
My Covid19 readings

Mengele, Unmasking the Angel of Death by Marwell *****

Endeavor, the Ship and Attitude that changed the World by Moore *****

A Bookshop in Berlin by Frenkel *****

A World Lit Only by Fire by Manchester*** really a bio of Martin Luther and Magellan

Behind the Throne, a History of the British Royal Household by Tinniswood*** they are duller than you think

This Boy's Life by Wolff**** it's a memoir

The Greatest Fury, The Battle of New Orleans by Wm. Davis. *****Davis is one of my favorites. The research that went into this book is amazing.

Currently reading McCullough's The Great Bridge. Very good so far and should have read it years ago
BuffsAg47
9:30p, 4/18/20
Just finished The Guts to Try by Col. (R) James Kyle.

Details Operation Rice Bowl and the mission to rescue the American hostages in Iran.

Moral of the story: don't get the weather forecast wrong.
who?mikejones
9:42p, 4/18/20
In reply to dcbowers
dcbowers said:

Frok said:

I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed the book, too.

My grandparents lived in Beeville from 1939 - 1991. My mom worked at the Beeville Bee-Picayune during the 1950's. They must have known Sheriff Vail Ennis, but I he never came up in conversation. The only person from the book who I ever met was Dr. Scott McNeil, who delivered my mom and older brother.

Im in the middle of this now based on earlier thread recs. Interesting story but I'm not a huge fan of the way the author is telling it.
Dooski
8:37a, 4/30/20
Recently acquired an advanced reader copy of Twilight of the Gods by Ian Toll. This is the third volume of his Pacific War Trilogy. Only 100 pages in, but it is extremely fascinating and every bit as good as his first two volumes thus far.
BQ78
8:42a, 4/30/20
In reply to BuffsAg47
Excellent book, I still have my copy signed by him when he came to the Special Ops school and talked to us about that raid. The only good thing about that raid is it gave us the best Special Operations Forces the world has ever seen.
Aggie1205
5:16p, 6/2/20
I read Texas Ranger from Boessenecker about Frank Hamer. Most people know Hamer for the shooting of Bonnie and Clyde but this mostly covered his life before that. He had connections to quite a few towns across Texas from his law enforcement work both as a Ranger and working directly for places like Navasota and Houston. The book also covered some interesting times in Mexia and Borger that I hadn't been aware of.
Aggie1205
5:23p, 6/2/20
Another recent read was The Shining Sea by Daughan. It's about David Porter and the USS Essex during the war of 1812. Interesting look into the life of a US Navy vessel during that time period and how much freedom they had. Makes me want to learn more about that era and naval warfare. I would recommend it.

And finally I recently read You Heard me on the Radio by Dave South. A few interesting stories but needed better editing.
JABQ04
5:32p, 6/2/20
Spearhead by Adam Makos

Story of a gunner on a Sherman during WWII and ultimately in one of the few Pershing tanks to see action in the war. If you have ever seen the "The Tank Duel at Cologne" he is the gunner in the Pershing who takes out the Panther
who?mikejones
8:45p, 6/11/20
It's time for me to study the civil war in depth. Need a good reading list. What do yall got?
JABQ04
10:46p, 6/11/20
In reply to who?mikejones
who?mikejones said:

It's time for me to study the civil war in depth. Need a good reading list. What do yall got?

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/3111624
who?mikejones
11:09p, 6/11/20
In reply to JABQ04
Thank you sir
Aquin
1:59p, 6/13/20
1. The Great Bridge-McCullough. ***** The engineering masterpiece is only exceeded by the effort it took to deal with all the politians.

2. A Woman of No Importance-Purcell *****

3. Seabiscuit-Hillenbrand ***** same author that wrote "Unbroken" just an excellent read.

4. Dark Sun, the Making of the Hydrogen Bomb- Rhodes ***** we should be glad that the Russians were so paranoid. Their spy system gave them everything. They just could not believe it was so easy.

5. Stanton, Lincoln's War Secretary-Starr *****

6. God Save Texas- Wright Don't bother.

7. Big Wonderful Thing- Harrigan**** a Texas Monthly liberal keeps his personal prejudices in check for the most part.

8. The Maceos and the Free State of Galveston- Fountain*****
AgRyan04
12:24a, 6/16/20
I just finished Stalingrad by Beevor and then flew through The Winter Fortress by Bascomb, which was outstanding. It is the story of Norweigian underground sabotage of German production of heavy water, which they were using in the race to the atomic bomb.
Aggie1205
3:33p, 6/17/20
Anyone have any book recommendations on the Lollard Movement in England in the 14th and 15th centuries?
Smokedraw01
12:39p, 6/18/20
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

Spearhead by Adam Makos

Story of a gunner on a Sherman during WWII and ultimately in one of the few Pershing tanks to see action in the war. If you have ever seen the "The Tank Duel at Cologne" he is the gunner in the Pershing who takes out the Panther

Thanks for the rec. the writing is a little choppy but the story is interesting.
JABQ04
12:42p, 6/18/20
In reply to Smokedraw01
If you haven't yet, watch the video of the fight
Smokedraw01
5:37a, 6/20/20
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

If you haven't yet, watch the video of the fight

I was very interesting. The final battle was also something out of a movie.

To be honest, my favorite part was the meeting between the German and American vets in Germany. Powerful stuff.
JABQ04
7:43a, 6/20/20
Just bought Zulu Rising by Ian Knight. Recently got into the Anglo/Zulu Wars and more specifically Isandlwana. Discovered a neat podcast on Redcoat History and YouTube Videos if walking the battlefield of the Zulu Wars.
UTExan
12:23p, 6/20/20
Update: still chewing through T. R. Fehrenbach along with SPQR. Fehrenbach is a very interesting read and much more balanced than I had originally thought. I realize the postmodernist, deconstructionist Texas historians will disagree, but desperate times called for desperate measures.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
2:46p, 6/20/20
His Way -the Unauthorized Biography of Frank Sinatra by Kitty Kelley

A weird man loved by some hated by more. Gangland connections. Huge money maker - 55 films

which was a surprise . Put on galas for Kennedy and Reagan.

Loved Ava Gardner 'til the day she died - but she although a friend after their divorce - did not reciprocate.

An interesting read !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
RebelE91
9:18p, 6/21/20
Samurai by Saburo Sakai. Good insights into the Japanese perspective of the war. Do recommend for those that like to read about the Pacific war
DiploFrat_Agg
12:38a, 7/26/20
In reply to JABQ04
Dude you should see the movie from the 60s. It's epic. Well there's technically two. The first one about Rourke's Drift and then the prequel about Isandlwana.
Smeghead4761
5:55a, 7/26/20
Non-fiction: The Auschwitz Volunteer by Witold Pilecki (sp?)

Fiction side: Strategic Assets, by Peter Nealen
Aquin
8:20a, 7/26/20
1. Prophetic City:Houston on the Cusp of a Changing America-Klineberg **
2. The Spy and the Traitor-MacIntrye *****
3. The Monument Men-Edsel*****
4. City on Fire-Minutaglio***** Texas City disaster
5. The Boy who followed his Father into Auschwitz- Dronfeld*****
6. Growing Up- Baker ****
7. The Good Shepherd-Forester***** destroyer convoy across the N.Atlantic WW2
8. Unveiled- The Twenty and Odd: Documenting the First Africans in England's America, 1619-1625 and Beyond-Knight ****
9. Origins, How the Earth Shaped Human History-Darnell ****
JABQ04
8:34a, 7/26/20
In reply to DiploFrat_Agg
Yep. Enjoy both of them. Great casts.

Also just finished another book on the same subject called
"How Can Man Die Better" by LTC Mike Snook
CanyonAg77
6:34p, 7/27/20
In reply to BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

His Way -the Unauthorized Biography of Frank Sinatra by Kitty Kelley

A weird man loved by some hated by more. Gangland connections. Huge money maker - 55 films

which was a surprise . Put on galas for Kennedy and Reagan.

Loved Ava Gardner 'til the day she died - but she although a friend after their divorce - did not reciprocate.

An interesting read !

Didn't they find out that Kelly made a lot of it up?
Smokedraw01
11:07p, 8/3/20
Dallas 1963-If I'm to believe everything in this book, Dallas was bsc in the early 1960s.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 11 of 22
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings