What are you reading right now?
128,756 Views | 751 Replies
JABQ04
11:02p, 2/22/21
"A Nation in Arms: The British Army in The First World War"

Just starting it for a living history impression of the 1st Black Watch.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
9:45a, 3/11/21
The Kidnapping Club: Wall Street, Slavery, and Resistance on the Eve of the Civil War by Johnathan Wells

-This book does a good job looking at the complexity of the slavery issue in New York and how they were afraid of upsetting the southerners. Also, the Southerners definitely kept an eye on NYC's views on slavery.

-I didn't realize that NYC had threatened to become an independent city after Lincoln was elected. Nor did I know that NY state held a ballot referendum on giving African American men the right to vote in 1860.
Spyderman
10:59a, 3/11/21

Must say after viewing this 2 hr interview with the author, I thinking of getting his 3 book series.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
spud1910
10:04p, 3/14/21
Schindler's Listed by Mark Biederman. The son of holocaust survivor's tells the story of his quest for the cold coins that his dad told him he buried at his childhood home in Poland before they were moved out by the Nazis.

Very interesting to see the author's emotions as he learns of what his father endured during his search.
P.H. Dexippus
12:15a, 3/15/21
In reply to cbr
cbr said:

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Just finished "First Circle" by Solzhenitsyn . Russian prison life bios after WW11 . You can't

believe the way they treated political prisoners - most on ten year sentences for nothing !

While stationed in Germany 55-56, I saw on TV the first German POWs from Russia being returned

10 years after the end of WW!!. Sad looking bunch and no one to greet them !
less than 5% ever returned. their wives and daughters were killed, raped, transplanted, gone, or married away at best. homes all gone. children they'd never known now mostly communists. can you even imagine?

So about the same treatment as Stalin gave his own people. I think I would rather have been a German POW in Russian control than a repatriated Cossack.
Danny Phantom
10:06p, 3/31/21
I got Empire of the Summer Moon a couple days ago & I'm flying through it. Awesome read so far!

For my next book I'm not sure exactly what to get & was wondering if anybody had any good Civil War recommendations? I've been looking at Gwynne's Hymns of the Republic, Goodhearts 1861: The Civil War Awakening & McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom.
Aquin
9:02a, 4/1/21
In reply to Danny Phantom
Gwynne's book is good.

Here are some that you might enjoy:
1. Gettysburg- Sears
2. Mary Chestnut's Civil War-Woodward....great insight to the players
3. Their Tattered Flags- Vandiver, former TAMU pres.
4. April 1865-Winik
5. City of Sedition(NYC)-Strausbaugh
6. Crucible of Command-Davis
7. Rebel Yell-Gwynn's
8. War Outside My Window-Croon...diary of 15 year old boy with great observation skills
9. The Thin Light of Freedom- Ayers, and
10. In the Presence of Mine Enemies- Ayers....Ayers takes a County in PA and one in VA and tells you what is really happening on the home front. Very good historian and a good writer.

I tried to pick some books that you might not trip across. If you need more, there are many good books on the Civil War.
BQ78
9:11a, 4/1/21
All three are well written but I just finished McPherson for the second time and have to recommend it as it does cover the entire war and the lead up to war. The other two do not.

After finishing McPherson this week, I just started Fehrenbach's Fire and Blood: A History of Mexico
BQ78
9:12a, 4/1/21
In reply to Aquin
Nice List
terata
12:10p, 4/1/21
The Case That Never Dies The Lindbergh Kidnapping
Danny Phantom
2:11p, 4/1/21
Thanks BQ78 & Aquin. I'll start with McPhersons since it covers the actions leading up to the war and I'll look through my local library to see if I find some from your list of 10, Aquin. All of them look interesting from my brief google search.
Chipotlemonger
12:25a, 4/6/21
Reading a fairly niche historical book, about 2/3 through. 9000 Years of Wine: A World History by Roderick Phillips

Only real complaints so far: very long format text, not visually put into subsections at all within chapters; footnotes don't have actual information at the bottom of the same page, just a reference to some source in the back on the book.
J_Landes89
12:59a, 4/6/21
Just finished "Boys in the Boat" - a must!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
5:09p, 4/6/21
In reply to J_Landes89
Jizzle89 said:

Just finished "Boys in the Boat" - a must!
What is it about? Asking for a friend.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
YZ250
7:24a, 4/7/21
It's about the University of Washington rowing team that competed in the 1936 Olympics. It's very good.
Aquin
1:48p, 4/8/21
1. The Ratline-Sands***** story of a Nazis fugitive, but his ratline never gets him outside of Rome. Well researched.

2. Infiltration, The Plot to Destroy the Church from within-Marshall ***** Author is an Anglican priest that converted to Catholicism. Interesting take on some of the Popes.

3. Good Vibrations, My Life as a Beach Boy-Mike Love**** Ok maybe not hard History. Morale of the story is if you are going to become a young rock star, marry a CPA. Great insight into the record industry and the thievery of the same.

4. Lincoln on the Verge-Widmer***** Story of Abe's thirteen day train ride from Springfield to DC. Very well done. Cast of thousands.

5. The Story of Britain-Strong***** This is popular history not written by an academic, thus interesting and readable. Starts with the Romans and go up to current times. Very good summary of what makes and has made Britain the screwed up nation that it has become.

6. Calhoun, American Heretic-Elder***** just outstanding. Everything that I know about Calhoun came from snippets of what people wanted me to know about Calhoun. The author's research is very good. I now understand that Calhoun did not link nullification with secession. He saw nullification as a means to avoid secession, which was many steps away under his political theory. Writing a biography of such a polarizing man is hard. The author has done it and has placed him in his fullest context. Remarkable bio on every front.
Law-5L
7:22p, 4/18/21
Finished The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann. I enjoyed the Fawcett story but the B plot about the author going to the Amazon not so much. The alternating narrative took me out of it. Still, if you're interested in explorer books, I would recommend it.
agforlife97
10:35a, 4/23/21
For those of you interested in WWII eastern front, I'd highly recommend David Glantz's "When Titans Clashed" and "Stumbling Colossus".

Right now I'm reading Anthony Beevor's "The Second World War" which is enjoyable.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
9:34a, 4/29/21
The Zealot and The Emancipator-HW Brands

I enjoyed it and learned about the step Lincoln was willing to take to try to end slavery without immediate emancipation.
monarch
12:44p, 4/30/21
Agent ZigZag by Ben Mcantire. A true story about a British double agent who really messed with the Nazi's and the Brits at the same tine.
Peace for Ukraine!
Rongagin71
2:29p, 5/1/21
"The Demon Princes" by Jack Vance...which is an interesting mixture of futuristic fantasy, mystery, humor, and references to history. There are five "Demon Princes" terrorizing the galaxy (each gets a book) and one very determined young hero who they accidentally created with a slave raid on his parent's planet.
stoneyjr78
10:50p, 5/1/21
Recently finished Best Lawyer in a One Lawyer Town by Dale Bumpers and Manhunter the Life and Times of Frank Hamer by Gene Shelton. Currently reading War As I Knew It by George S Patton Jr and Texas Ranger by John Boessenecker.
hut-ho78
Aquin
7:22p, 5/3/21
1. Fire and Blood by Fehrenbach. This is an excellent history of Mexico. Fehrenbach is a great writer by any standard. He starts with Cortes, who was more interested in becoming the Emperor of a new country than the usual fantasy for gold. The author explains the Mexican culture as it changes over the centuries. It was and continues to be a very stratified country, with each level of people hating those on any other level. The reader starts to understand Mexico, who influenced the country for good or bad. I think it is an excellent read, particularly for residents of a state that shares some history and lies adjacent to Mexico. Five stars.

2. Secession on Trial by Nicolette. Anyone interested in the Civil War will enjoy this book. Some years ago I learned that Gerrit Smith, the wealthy abolitionist that financed John Brown's raid on Harper Ferry, Horace Greeley, also a northern abolitionist, and Vanderbilt, all went on the bond to help Jeff Davis make bail. It raised some questions particularly when Davis was never brought to trial. Lincoln was a lawyer generally held in high regard as such. However, Lincoln knew no International Law. When he insisted that southern ports be blockaded under International law he was committing an act of war. The result was to raise the south to the level of a belligerent. This meant that it's leaders could not be tried for treason...not the answer the north wanted to hear. This very well done book discusses the problem of a Davis trial, which had to be held in Virginia. An acquittal, which was likely, might undo everything that the war had done. Perhaps secession was legal. The author handles all the legal issues clearly and objectively. Five stars
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
3:14p, 5/4/21
The Mighty Scourage-James M. McPherson

He questions a lot of generally accepted assertions about the Civil War and sort of goes after the historiography. I especially his assertions about the post-war white washing that took place. He also talks about quotes that are attributed to Lincoln that aren't actually Lincoln's.

McPherson is considered reliable, right?
BQ78
3:41p, 5/4/21
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I think you mean James McPherson. Yes he is legit.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
3:48p, 5/4/21
In reply to BQ78
BQ78 said:

I think you mean James McPherson. Yes he is legit.
You are correct. Not sure how I missed that.
Yordaddy
4:21p, 5/5/21
Danny Phantom said:

I got Empire of the Summer Moon a couple days ago & I'm flying through it. Awesome read so far!

For my next book I'm not sure exactly what to get & was wondering if anybody had any good Civil War recommendations? I've been looking at Gwynne's Hymns of the Republic, Goodhearts 1861: The Civil War Awakening & McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom.
Cannot recommend Empire of the Summer Moon enough.
Agthatbuilds
8:19p, 5/5/21
Rereading the lonesome dove series in order of time.

Do not want to get to the last one. I remember it being pretty depressing.
dcbowers
6:58p, 5/10/21
This year is the 60th anniversary of the Vostok and Mercury Programs (the Soviet and American race to be the first to launch a man into space).

"Beyond," by Stephen Walker, was released this year. Walker does an impressive job interviewing the few living witnesses to these events and piecing them together with official and unofficial Soviet documents to tell the remarkable story of Yuri Gargarin's selection, training, launch, and fame as the first man to be launched into space on a Vostok capsule mounted on the top of an R7 ICBM rocket.

"The Right Stuff," by Tom Wolfe, was released in 1979 (and made into a movie in 1983 and series in 2000). Wolfe had the benefit of being able to interview many of the original characters and is a very entertaining storyteller (as if this story needs a storyteller). Wolfe tells of the selection and celebrity of the Mercury Seven and their race to catch up with the Soviets (along with identifying Chuck Yeager as the test pilot who created the Right Stuff myth).

Amazing to me that the Soviets were so far ahead in technology (at least rocket power) in 1961, yet completely out of the running by 1969.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PJYoung
7:37p, 5/10/21
I just finished Bomber Mafia and I really enjoyed it.

In The Bomber Mafia , Malcolm Gladwell weaves together the stories of a Dutch genius and his homemade computer, a band of brothers in central Alabama, a British psychopath, and pyromaniacal chemists at Harvard to examine one of the greatest moral challenges in modern American history.

Most military thinkers in the years leading up to World War II saw the airplane as an afterthought. But a small band of idealistic strategists, the "Bomber Mafia," asked: What if precision bombing could cripple the enemy and make war far less lethal?

In contrast, the bombing of Tokyo on the deadliest night of the war was the brainchild of General Curtis LeMay, whose brutal pragmatism and scorched-earth tactics in Japan cost thousands of civilian lives, but may have spared even more by averting a planned US invasion. In The Bomber Mafia, Gladwell asks, "Was it worth it?"

Things might have gone differently had LeMay's predecessor, General Haywood Hansell, remained in charge. Hansell believed in precision bombing, but when he and Curtis LeMay squared off for a leadership handover in the jungles of Guam, LeMay emerged victorious, leading to the darkest night of World War II. The Bomber Mafia is a riveting tale of persistence, innovation, and the incalculable wages of war.
AgRyan04
12:30p, 5/11/21
In reply to PJYoung
There is a recent (maybe the most recent?) Dan Carlin Hardcore History Adendum podcast with the author regarding this book....might be worth checking out if you haven't already
PJYoung
1:24p, 5/11/21
In reply to AgRyan04
AgRyan04 said:

There is a recent (maybe the most recent?) Dan Carlin Hardcore History Adendum podcast with the author regarding this book....might be worth checking out if you haven't already

Crazy long link but this is it:

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/8/1/d/81d33a3e49569684/dchh13-addendum-Gladwell-and-the-Bomber-Mafia.mp3?c_id=101895890&cs_id=101895890&expiration=1620762369&hwt=a3a5ee6dc98707c0dbd0722ea6440fc9
10andBOUNCE
5:09p, 5/11/21
Just finished Washington's Secret 6 - fun and quick read. Love that entire part of the Revolution. Makes me want to watch Turn again.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
8:32p, 5/11/21
Would anyone be willing to recommend a Robert E. Lee biography?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
BQ78
9:41p, 5/11/21
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Freeman is the classic, Korda is the latest, Thomas is a good one, Pryor is the most provocative but I suspect Connelly is best for your echo chamber.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 14 of 22
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings