What are you reading right now?
128,801 Views | 751 Replies
Aquin
11:50a, 1/2/22
The Last King of America by Roberts. Because of where it was placed in the store, I thought that it would be about King George's involvement in our Revolution. It covers his entire life and reign....more than I really wanted to know. Still like all of Roberts books it is well written and well supported.
Aquin
11:55a, 1/2/22
The Howe Dynasty, The Untold Story of a Military Family and the Women behind Britain's Wars for America by Flavell. The Howe brothers fought for Britain in the F&I and Revolutionary Wars. Their papers were destroyed. The author found a treasure trove of information in the correspondence among the Howe ladies, wives, sisters and aunts. Because they were close to the Crown the were in the know. Great insight into what the Brits thought about our quest for liberty, particularly after their old enemy France entered the war. Great read and a good review of the Brits POV.
Aquin
12:00p, 1/2/22
The S.S. Officer's Armchair by Lee. A packet of papers belonging to an SS Officer are found while recovering a chair. This launches a hunt for the officer, his family and what he did. Surprisingly, not all SS were guards and killers etc. This one starts as a lawyer doing clerical stuff but by the Wars end he is getting close to the flame. Interesting play between family members. Some are very engaged while others want to ignore the war.
Aquin
12:05p, 1/2/22
Saving Italy, the Race to Rescue a Nation's Treasures from the Nazis by Edsel. Second book by the guy that wrote Monument Men. Amazing what the Nazis tried to steal sometimes even sacrificing military goals to add to the Fuhrer's collection. Great hide and go seek story.

Sorry for the individual posts. Usually lumped them into one but kept getting a problem with the website and it would erase everything typed to that point.
BQ78
10:41p, 1/2/22
After years of telling folks to ignore the size and just read Shelby Footes Civil War, I'm now tackling a big one, Alan Nevin's War for the Union. It is eight volumes and has been sitting on my bookshelf unread for decades. No longer.
txagB2
1:54p, 1/3/22
Got The Road to Serfdom for Christmas and have started that. About 3/4 of the way through Gulag Archipelago vol. 1.
Aquin
9:44a, 1/13/22
Eusebius, The Church History-Maier,
This is supposed to be the first written history of the early Christian Church. It was written around 300+ AD. It is interesting to learn where all the apostles went. The number of early heretics is surprising. It probably could have used a little editing but it makes a contribution.
Aquin
9:58a, 1/13/22
Madam, The Biography of Polly Adler, Icon of the Jazz Era-Applegate
If you want to learn how to run a bordello, this is your book. Polly gets into the business as a young immigrant around 1919. I was shocked at how prevalent the drug business was among entertainers back then. They were deep into opium, heroin, crack and cocaine. You could not find an honest politician or cop in NYC back then. Worth the read.
BQ78
11:12a, 1/13/22
In reply to Aquin
Interesting and antithetical choices.
Aquin
4:26p, 1/13/22
In reply to BQ78
Just trying to show the versatility of my subject matter. Actually most of my selections follow the wandering around a bookstore approach.
Agthatbuilds
2:00p, 1/31/22
Anyone have a good book for the Ranger battle at cisterna?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
11:47p, 2/8/22

This is fascinating.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Smeghead4761
12:17p, 2/9/22
July 1914 by Shawn McMeekin. McMeekin's big thing is he incorporates more Russian sources than a lot of previous history. His previous work, The Russian Origins of the First World War, showed how the Russians began mobilization well in advance of Germany, and had very ambitious geo-strategic goals, even before the war started, that basically used backing Serbia as a fig leaf for seizing Austrian-controlled Galicia, and ultimately, Constantinople.
AgRyan04
9:17p, 2/10/22
Finished Empire of the Summer Moon by SC Gwynne from recommendations on here. Excellent book!

I think it's going to force my hand to re-read the Lonesome Dove series
Cow Pie & Fries
9:38p, 2/11/22
I love this thread! I've been a lurker for years & deceived to wade in.
I've read so many of the books recommended here it's too numerous to count
The book I could not put down was " Rampage " The Battle of Manilla " by James Scott. A 5 star read. Scott's other books are do not miss as well
I'm currently reading " Secession on Trial" by Nicolette . Very good thus far
Next up the Pacific Trilogy
TXAGBQ76
10:38a, 2/12/22
"The Real Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, and the Global War Against Democracy and Public Health" by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Very eye opening. This book is not based on "feels"/ "seems" like; it is heavily backed with charts, graphs, papers/studies by globally recognized scientists, researchers, doctors, universities, etc. from around the world.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
12:18p, 2/12/22
Standing Ready: The Golden Era of Texas Aggie Football and the Beginning of the 12th Man Traditions, by John A. Adams

Need to get back to Hirohito's War, which has been languishing for about a year.
BuffsAg47
11:56a, 2/13/22
I'm currently reading Euthyphro by Plato in its original ancient Greek. It's a dialog between Socrates and Euthyphro that covers issues such as the meaning of piety and justice.
Aquin
9:24a, 2/22/22
In reply to Cow Pie & Fries
Like you, I have found a lot of books to read from the recommendations posted here. I like the approach that Tigerdroppings has taken. They have a book forum. All questions, inquiries and reviews about books are found in one place. Every forum on Texags has a thread or more about books. That seems to be a disjointed way of doing things. I emailed the staff to see if they would consider a book forum. I guess it is under advisement. If you think it is a good idea please consider emailing the staff.

terata
10:19a, 2/24/22
"The Hidden Nazi" (Hans Kammler), Dean Reuter
dead
12:27a, 2/26/22
The Condition of the Working Class in England. It's about the Industrial Revolution and its affect on the populace in the British Isles. Pretty grim stuff.
Aquin
12:11p, 2/26/22
1. Our First Civil War by Brands. Brands is a favorite but got lazy with this book. He regurgitated some of his earlier books to create this one. It brings nothing new to the table. A mildly interesting discussion of the conflict between loyalist and revolutionaries. ***

2. Where did the Towers Go? By Wood Not a conspiracy book, but an engineers examination using math, physics and engineering principles. She proves, to this non-engineer, that the Towers did not pancake and were not the subject of a controlled demolition. Hope some engineers read it.*****

3. Black 9/11 by Gaffney. This is a conspiracy book. The author follows the money. Very Interesting.*****

4. Red Handed, How America 's Elite get rich helping China by Schweitzer. Title says it all. Very sad story. *****

5. The Warmth of Other Suns by Wilkerson. She takes three black families and traces their migrations from the South to urban centers in the North. Very interesting. *****
AgBQ-00
12:59p, 3/4/22
Reading Pacific Crucible right now. Getting close to the end (right at the jump off point for the Battle of Coral Sea). I did not know/realize until reading this book that the code breakers in Hawaii had given the intel about the possibility of ambushing the Japanese fleet in this instance.

I have to say the writing is some of the best historical writing I've ever read. It really makes the events and people involved come to life. Highly recommend to anyone.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
1:23p, 3/4/22
In reply to Aquin
Aquin said:

1. Our First Civil War by Brands. Brands is a favorite but got lazy with this book. He regurgitated some of his earlier books to create this one. It brings nothing new to the table. A mildly interesting discussion of the conflict between loyalist and revolutionaries. ***

2. Where did the Towers Go? By Wood Not a conspiracy book, but an engineers examination using math, physics and engineering principles. She proves, to this non-engineer, that the Towers did not pancake and were not the subject of a controlled demolition. Hope some engineers read it.*****

3. Black 9/11 by Gaffney. This is a conspiracy book. The author follows the money. Very Interesting.*****

4. Red Handed, How America 's Elite get rich helping China by Schweitzer. Title says it all. Very sad story. *****

5. The Warmth of Other Suns by Wilkerson. She takes three black families and traces their migrations from the South to urban centers in the North. Very interesting. *****
Watts Towers?
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Aquin
9:36a, 3/5/22
In reply to BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
World Trade Towers
Aquin
9:43a, 3/5/22
John Randolph of Roanoke by Johnson. I had heard the name before but had never really focused on the gentleman. He was an eccentric no doubt. But he was also the greatest orator of his time, and he had the chance to rub shoulders with Clay, Calhoun and Webster. In fact, he fought a duel with Clay. He was very quick witted and did not hesitate to use it. Late in his career, Virginia wanted to rewrite its constitution. He was to be a delegate. Madison, Monroe and Marshall were delegates as well. JR bested all of them. The book is a fast read and well researched. Some of the intrigue around his family life would produce a great soap opera. Nancy Randolph Morris should have her own show.
AgBQ-00
11:34a, 3/7/22
Finished Pacific Crucible. Am immediately starting Conquering Tide.

Fantastic writing. The epilogue of PC made me made because of what happened to the career of the head of Hypo.
Aquin
7:46p, 3/15/22
1. Hell's Half Acre, The Untold Story of the Benders, a Serial Killer Family on the American Frontier by Jonusas. The Benders migrated to the SE corner of Kansas around 1870. The family consisted to two rather course parents, an attractive daughter and a guy that may have been her husband or perhaps a half brother. They proceeded to kill eleven men and one child that visited their place while traveling. The last victim was from a well known family and thus a man hunt followed. Very easy read and it will keep your attention.

2. Jefferson and Monticello, The Biography of a Builder by McLaughlin. First read it thirty years ago and enjoyed it. The reread was even better. TJ has fallen out of favor with some....not me. This is the story of the design, construction, redesign and reconstruction of his home. There is no discussion of politics. It is great social history. More importantly, the reader gets to know a whole lot more about the man than you currently find in contemporary histories. It will shatter a lot of preconceived notions.
YouBet
3:01p, 3/17/22
The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt
AgRyan04
12:35p, 4/8/22
I finished "Big Bend" by Langford, who recalls his time acquiring/builidng/running the property on/around the hot springs in Big Bend

I'm about half way through "The Longest Day" by Ryan and about halfway through "Nine Years Among the Indians" by Herman Lehmann, both mentioned by others on this thread
AgBQ-00
3:49p, 4/8/22
I gave my dad (a Vietnam era sailor) The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors for Christmas. He finished it and gave it to me to read so it is in line for after the Pacific Trilogy.
He said it was one of the best books he's read
Law-5L
5:34p, 5/14/22
Our local Half Price Books recently closed and from the inventory selloff leftovers I nabbed:

The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick - This was my first book about Custer, Sitting Bull and the battle of the LBH so I learned a lot. I've enjoyed Philbrick's other works.

In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides - Thoroughly enjoyed this tale of the tragic USS Jeanette expedition to the arctic. A new subject for me. I'm a big fan of Sides and he didn't disappoint.

Iron Dawn by Richard Snow - Covers the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia. Less enthusiastic about this work. Personally much prefer Reign of Iron by James L Nelson.
nortex97
5:45a, 5/18/22
Here is an interesting book that somehow was only recently published about an American WW1 machine gun commander.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2022/05/18/a_machine-gunner_in_france_832964.html
YellAgs
4:37a, 5/22/22
Currently reading "The Texas Rangers" by Walter Prescott Webb

Read "Taming the Nueces Strip" about McNeillys Rangers earlier this year.
AgRyan04
1:49p, 5/22/22
In reply to YellAgs
I have that Webb book on my desk in my stack of "need to read next"
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 17 of 22
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >