Recommended history books about Aggies/Texans?
1,940 Views | 19 Replies
war hymn aggie
9:26p, 1/11/24

Trying to read more in '24.

Have copies of Aggies/people associated with A&M such as Sul Ross, Dutch Hohn, Randy Matson, Dat Nguyen, James Rudder & Buryl Baty..

Want to venture further than just reading about Aggies to include famous or infamous/forgotten Texans, as well. Especially enjoy reading about the Plains Indians in Texas & the German-immigrant children that they kidnapped and adopted into their tribes. "Captivating" stories and also a great example of how the human brain can be altered/manipulated based upon the events that they are exposed to in their lives.

Have enjoyed reading the books "Towering Texans" and "A New History of Texas", The Texans old west Time Life book was a good read to educate myself.
Very educational & fascinating short stories about Texans or stories of them while in Texas. Have a couple of old Texas History books that were taught by our schools back in the early 1900's. Also, very educational.

Currently just starting a book about Ashbel Smith published by A&M press in '82. Not born or raised in Texas but made an impact upon the history of the state, mostly as a t-sipper.

what books about Aggies/Texans are recommended reading?

Sam Houston?
Stephen F Austin?
J Frank Dobie?

Thanks in advance.

AgRyan04
9:35p, 1/11/24
Charles Goodnight: Cowman and Plainsman - J. Evetts Haley

Empire of the Summer Moon - S.C. Gwynne

Not Between Brothers - Wilkinson

Beneath the Window - Clothier

Texans Illiad - Hardin

Also, a good historical fiction is Texas by Michener
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
chick79
9:33a, 1/12/24
The Last Hill which came out about a year ago highlights a lot of James Earl Rudder and his time with the Rangers during D-Day. I enjoyed it.
BQ78
9:49a, 1/12/24
Sam Houston by Jim Haley
Stephen F. Austin: Empresario of Texas by Cantrell
Three Roads to the Alamo by Davis (Triography of Crockett, Bowie and Travis)
Houston: The Great Designer by Friend
Go Down Together by Gunn (Bonnie and Clyde)
Caro and Goodwin each have interesting biographies of LBJ.
Sniper in the Tower by LaVergne (about Charles Whitman)

Haley;s history of Texas Passionate Nation is good as well as Davis' history of the republic Lone Star Rising. Of course the gold standard for Texas history is Fehrenbach's Lone Star (every real Texan should read it). Newer is Harrigan's Big Wonderful Thing (Not sure if the title is referring to Texas or his own book as used as a door stop), which is interesting but I find it disjointed.
Aggie1205
11:15a, 1/12/24
A Journey Through Texas by Olmsted
The Evolution of a State or Reflections of Old Texas Days by Smithwick
Goodbye to a River by Graves
John Ringo: King of the Cowboys by Johnson
A Hanging in Nacogdoches by Borders
The Mason County Hoo Doo War by Johnson
Texas Ranger by Boessenecker
Isaac's Storm by Larson
Battle of the Brazos by Webb
AgRyan04
12:01p, 1/12/24
Oh, and you can always read Lonesome Dove (again)!
Rabid Cougar
1:07p, 1/12/24
Goodbye to a River. by John Graves - He canoed the middle section of the Brazos River between PK and Whitney in the 1950's. Very good book.

No Experience Required - The true stories of the 12th Man Kick off Team..
Proceeds go to help fund the 12th Man Kick off Team Foundation scholarships. - No funds go the the athletic dept. or NIL.

Hood's Bloody Fifth, The 5th Texas Infantry Regiment, Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia: Volume 1: Secession to the Suffolk Campaign. - John Schmutz

Hood's Texas Brigade; Lee's Grenadier Guards- Col. Harold B.Simpson.

Stonewall of the West ; Patrick Cleburne and the Civil War - Craig L. Seymonds.

AgRyan04
1:33p, 1/12/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Yes, if you want A&M sports history....

1939 Texas Aggies - Herskowitz
Seven Seasons of Scherrill - Hatcher
The Junction Boys - Dent
The Texas Aggie Bonfire - Tang
Dat: Tackling Life and the NFL - Nguyen/Burson
Backyard Brawl - Stratton
Standing Ready - Adams
Return to Junction - Rollins
Bebes and the Bear - Jackson
The 100 Year Decision - Loftin
Aggies! Yall Caught that Dam' Ol' Rat Yet? - Rollins
The Twelfth Man - Evans/McElroy
All It Takes is Everything You've Got - Clary
John David Crow: Heart of a Champion - Pate/Jenkins
The Aggies and thr Horns - Forsyth
war hymn aggie
10:01p, 1/12/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

Goodbye to a River. by John Graves - He canoed the middle section of the Brazos River between PK and Whitney in the 1950's. Very good book.

No Experience Required - The true stories of the 12th Man Kick off Team..
Proceeds go to help fund the 12th Man Kick off Team Foundation scholarships. - No funds go the the athletic dept. or NIL.

Hood's Bloody Fifth, The 5th Texas Infantry Regiment, Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia: Volume 1: Secession to the Suffolk Campaign. - John Schmutz

Hood's Texas Brigade; Lee's Grenadier Guards- Col. Harold B.Simpson.

Stonewall of the West ; Patrick Cleburne and the Civil War - Craig L. Seymonds.

My Great Grandmother was a Hood. Her Uncle was named for Ft Hood.
Need to check out this book.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I've just bought 3 books on ebay.

Should keep me busy for the next few months.
ABATTBQ87
8:13a, 1/16/24
Aggies! Yall Caught that Dam' Ol' Rat Yet? - Rollins should be required reading for all cadets so they can appreciate the pre WWII history of A&M
Aggie1205
9:19p, 1/17/24
Sole Survivor - by Aggie George Gay from Torpedo Squadron Eight at Midway.
ABATTBQ87
12:24p, 1/18/24
Another recommendation is to read those online Battalion newspapers and old yearbooks
Aggie_Journalist
2:44p, 1/19/24
+ 1 to Sam Houston by James L. Haley.

LBJ is also fascinating. Robert Caro has a 4-book series that goes as far as his presidency (final book on Vietnam and great society still forthcoming - I hope the guy finishes it). Passage of Power does a great job telling the story of LBJ in the vice presidency, taking charge after JFK's death, and overcoming Congressional road blocks to pass civil rights.

Indomitable Will: LBJ in the Presidency by Mark Updegrove is a great audiobook. They pull in White House tapes whenever possible so you can hear the actual recordings of many of the conversations.
Thanks and gig'em
aggiejim70
8:34p, 1/20/24
The Execution of Private Slovik by H. B. Huie. I think you'll be amazed at which prominent former student is mentioned in the book, along with a mention of Texas A&M in WWII.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TheSheik
9:58p, 1/20/24
A long list of great Texas history titles - From State House Press and TAMU Press -

https://www.tamupress.com/consortium/state-house-press/?page_number=1

Republic of Texas - Civil war - Old West - WW II and more
Snowball
10:04a, 2/1/24
In reply to Aggie_Journalist
I'll second the Caro series on LBJ. The first volume, "Path to Power." the first 3rd of that book is really a tale of Life in the hill country tucked into a political biography. Great read.

The Cedar Choppers- Ken Roberts, Oral History of how settlers literally made the hill country out of nothing by cutting down cedars and changed settlement forever in the area

Anything Cantrell writes about SFA is good. I particular like his writing in "Lone Star Pasts"

The Son- Phillip Meyer. Novel inspired by comanche raids, spanning generations. If you like modern westerns in the realm of "Yellowstone"/ Taylor Sheridan. Also an AMC series.

The Raven- Marquis James. Great work and prose on Houston. Lyrical. Probably the best ending to a biography I have ever read aside from Morris' " Rise of Theodore Roosevelt"

Rudder: From Leader to Legend was great. I had no idea of Rudder's teaching and football background.

Sam Houston- J. Haley is definitive. I like that he touched on SH's time in Oklahoma before crossing the Red River.

StinkyPinky
8:31p, 2/5/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

Read this after many mukti-day kayak trips down this stretch of the Brazos and camping on the banks. Really brings the history to life.
Texas Yarddog
8:02a, 2/6/24
Texian Iliad - Stephen Hardin
TX Revolution, gives general descriptions of the troops involved, but doesn't delve very deep into individual characters

The Pirates Lafitte - William Davis
Pirates

Empire of the Summer Moon - SC Gwynne.
Comanches/Quanah Parker

Colonel Jack Hays - James Greer
Good read on Texas Rangers
45-70Ag
5:10a, 2/15/24
Aggie63
6:25p, 2/16/24
I second A Journey Through Texas by Olmsted...the most authentic look at life in early Texas I have ever read. Incredible.
If you want to take a trip back into the early days of Texas you can live it with this book.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings