Old Gun
1,378 Views | 10 Replies
JMac03
4:51p, 1/20/24
I posted this in the outdoors, but thought I would post it here. My dad passed away recently and my mom gave us some guns today. This was my dad's uncles gun, and mom thinking it is possibly from WWII time frame.

There are no company names or markings that hubs can find other than a serial number. Any thoughts?
JMac03
4:52p, 1/20/24

JMac03
7:17p, 1/20/24
Update: folks on outdoors board figured it out.
JABQ04
7:20p, 1/20/24
NM
JABQ04
10:52a, 1/21/24
There is a circle in Hell reserved for people who sporterized these old weapons.
Jabin
11:04a, 1/21/24
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

There is a circle in Hell reserved for people who sporterized these old weapons.
Why?
BQ_90
12:30p, 1/21/24
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

It wasn't an old weapon when it was sporterized
JABQ04
1:32p, 1/21/24
In reply to BQ_90
BQ_90 said:

JABQ04 said:

Whether it was done the year after it was made or 3 days ago it's still a travesty to do this to firearms.

(Just my opinion. Huge fan and starting to collect older military firearms)
Smeghead4761
11:30p, 1/21/24
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

BQ_90 said:

JABQ04 said:

Whether it was done the year after it was made or 3 days ago it's still a travesty to do this to firearms.

When it was done, it was a cheap way for someone to get a serviceable hunting rifle on the cheap. In military trim, they're a lot heavier than they need to be in the deer woods.

Now, some of the TAPCO'ed out travesties Bubba has made, I'll agree with you on.

What sucks for milsurp collectors today is that the 'golden age' of milsurp collecting has passed. I'm old enough (just) to recall M91/30 and M1944 Mosins being sold for like $49 a piece. (And I still kick myself for not buying a crate of each) Soviet capture Kar 98K Mausers weren't much more. That, and Yugo Mausers and SKS were pretty much the last wave of cheap rifles available in large numbers, leftovers from WWI, WWII, and the early Cold War.

Might possibly get a small wave when the M9 Berettas hit the CMP. But other than that, everything since the AK-47, M-14, and FAL hit the scene have been full autos, and thus off limits since 1986. Plus the Bush41 'sporting use' limiting EO, means there's not much new coming in.
Rabid Cougar
9:40a, 1/22/24
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

Well I don't know about that...

My grandfather, a self taught gunsmith, sporterized four M1's by cutting off the rear peep site, notching the top fore grip and installing buck horn sites in front of the receiver. All done in the 50's and 60' when you could buy them for $25. He and my great uncle killed lots of white tails, muleys and elk with them. Said they both hated the rear sites on the Garand from back in their WWII days. He said you could acquire your target quicker. Since I have used both the spoertized and his original battle sited M1s I would have to agree with him.

Now days??? Please don't.

agsalaska
2:56p, 1/22/24
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

BQ_90 said:

JABQ04 said:

While I do sympathize with this position, realize that if none of them had been sporterized then they would all only be worth $300-$400 today. Wait.......

In all seriousness it is absolutely a sign of the times.

If you think about it we still do the exact same thing today. You wouldn't hesitate to take a pistol, change out the barrel for a threaded one and remove the sights to put on a red dot. Hell you and I and everyone else might think that even increases the value. But 100 years from now someone is going to cuss at you for *******izing a perfectly good pistol.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings