58 Year Ago Today
904 Views | 7 Replies
BQ78
10:12a, 3/5/24
Barry Sadler and Robin Moore's song The Ballad of the Green Berets hit #1 on the pop charts.

ABATTBQ87
10:55a, 3/5/24
In reply to BQ78
BQ78 said:

Barry Sadler and Robin Moore's song The Ballad of the Green Berets hit #1 on the pop charts.

Any idea what year the Aggie Band started playing the Green Berets?
one safe place
11:21a, 3/5/24
I think that was the first record I bought, perhaps the second after Red Rubber Ball by The Cyrkle.
BQ78
12:57p, 3/5/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
Not too long after it came out,it was one of the songs on the first full length record album in 1968 and I remember them playing it at the 1968 Cotton Bowl.
Cen-Tex
1:13p, 3/5/24
I remember Sadler's later years were pretty depressing.
BQ78
2:11p, 3/5/24
In reply to Cen-Tex
Yeah, he shot a guy in the head and killed him and was convicted on manslaughter. Then he was shot in the head himself and became a quadriplegic. There was a legal battle over his custody but he died about a year after being shot.

I don't think he ever recovered from being a one hit wonder either.
CanyonAg77
4:54p, 3/5/24
Dad bought that album and he never bought records

And reading his Wiki entry, I didn't remember that he wrote the "Casca" series of books. One of my fellow BQs was into that series.

As I recall the premise, Casca was a Roman Soldier at the crucifixion of Christ, and was cursed to be reincarnated as a soldier until The Second Coning
Fuzzy Dunlop
1:48p, 3/6/24
My dad had that album and it was given to me when he passed. My brother and I literally wore it out. I have since bought a "replacement" that I listen to from time to time and still have my dad's original album.
Double Talkin' Jive...
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off