Bryce Gone
47,063 Views | 184 Replies
rgag12
2:46p, 4/23/24
In reply to Ags77
Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

LOL at "culture change." Elko is doing the same thing as every previous new Aggie HC since I've been alive. We'll see how much "culture" matters the first time he goes 7-5 and y'all start calling for his head.

As for Bryce, he didn't perform as we expected but there's no reason to pile on. He's just doing what the previous staff promised he could do: play 2 sports. We have a history of very successful 2-sport athletes, and it would be a mistake to force them to choose one or the other.

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

The first part of your thread is way off. There is a HUGE difference in the kind of culture Coach Elko wants to have as opposed to Sumlin and Jimbo culture.

No, he is right.

When Sumlin left I remember everyone losing their minds with excitement when Jimbo turned the music off at practices, we got reports from players that Jimbo was hard-nosed, and practices were intense (polar opposites of Sumlin). And for a time it was great, but after 4 seasons people wanted something different.

Every new coach comes in and shakes things up, because they have to. 99% of the time you're taking over a program that needs change.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
2:50p, 4/23/24
In reply to taylorswift13_
taylorswift13_ said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Slicer97 said:

Sterling82 said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

Without knowing the details, on the face of it, it looks like a D move. If he was allowed to come in after T&F and re-establish himself as a starter that would be good for the team. He should be given the opportunity. If not, we're no worse off. All he was doing was what he was told he could when recruited. I don't think he's a guy that should be crapped on just to set an example.

Dude, no ****ing way. It's a new coaching staff installing a new offense. You can't just skip the entirety of spring practice and offseason team workouts under a new staff. He was rightfully cut.

Also, if he was told he could be a two sport athlete, he needed to hold up his end of the bargain and exert the effort to be a two sport athlete. He didn't. He was a track athlete who, in order to keep his scholarship, also showed up about mid-way through fall camp every year and bumbled around during games because Jimbo kept allowing it.

Football players must be focused on football and prepared to play football. He needed to go. It's best for all involved.

So, if Foster came back and earned a starting role, he should be cut anyway. There will be many O-linemen riding the pine this fall. I can't see how Bryce being one of them would be a detriment while, on the other hand, an experienced starter won't even get chance because he's been cut could be. All for the purpose of sending a message.
It's entirely possible that Elko told him "Football or T&F. Pick one." and Bryce picked T&F.
I would imagine that's how the convo went. Elko sat him down and said I need a commitment from you this summer from end of May to August camp that it is football 100%. Foster likely said he wants to train for track and prep to try to get a spot in the Olympics and his workouts & weight would reflect that. Elko said "ok, good luck"
you have to be top 24 in the country to compete at the Olympic trials, he's 63rd in the NCAA, and probably behind another 30/40 pros and a few high schoolers
I know. It is what drives me crazy and questions who exactly is giving him advice because he is nowhere near good enough to be competing on the national level. This is a weird situation. It is like the high school kid who hides on the JV track team to avoid spring football except it is the SEC. Part of me wonders if he told Elko he cant play anymore due to injury or something else.
northeastag
2:51p, 4/23/24
I didn't think that T&F got full scholarships. Is that incorrect?
Bill Superman
2:56p, 4/23/24
In reply to rgag12
rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

LOL at "culture change." Elko is doing the same thing as every previous new Aggie HC since I've been alive. We'll see how much "culture" matters the first time he goes 7-5 and y'all start calling for his head.

As for Bryce, he didn't perform as we expected but there's no reason to pile on. He's just doing what the previous staff promised he could do: play 2 sports. We have a history of very successful 2-sport athletes, and it would be a mistake to force them to choose one or the other.

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

The first part of your thread is way off. There is a HUGE difference in the kind of culture Coach Elko wants to have as opposed to Sumlin and Jimbo culture.

No, he is right.

When Sumlin left I remember everyone losing their minds with excitement when Jimbo turned the music off at practices, we got reports from players that Jimbo was hard-nosed, and practices were intense (polar opposites of Sumlin). And for a time it was great, but after 4 seasons people wanted something different.

Every new coach comes in and shakes things up, because they have to. 99% of the time you're taking over a program that needs change.
Not only was he wrong, but now you're wrong too.

Jimbo came in a pretended to correct the culture problems. Only we found out later that he didn't correct the issues, he only created new ones with playing favorites and operating under an inflated ego. But we saw that he had discipline problems during his time at fsu and decided to pretend otherwise.

We've never seen a HC that is willing to part ways with multi-year starters and highly recruited players because they wouldn't follow the same rules set for everyone else on the team.

This doesn't mean we're winning the natty this year, but it also doesn't mean that Elko isn't correcting the culture problem that we clearly have.
Aston04
3:20p, 4/23/24
In reply to VP at Pierce and Pierce
Yes, his best chance of being a pro athlete was in football.. and he gave up on it. Crazy.
Capstone
3:22p, 4/23/24
Is the roster posted on this website not updated regularly? Foster still shows up on TexAgs football-roster tab.

I won't be sad to see snaps that make it all the way to the quarterback on a regular basis, though.
fav13andac1)c
3:35p, 4/23/24
Let's not forget. He's still an Aggie and a great representative of our athletic department.
Haricougar
3:39p, 4/23/24
In reply to Bill Superman
Whew

I thought this was going to say Bryce Anderson was in the portal.
Romans 12:9-11
Sterling82
3:43p, 4/23/24
In reply to northeastag
northeastag said:

I didn't think that T&F got full scholarships. Is that incorrect?

It's correct for many and Foster was 0% because he was on football scholarship. I doubt T&F has scholarships to spare for someone that doesn't score a lot and apparently won't make the ncaa outdoors. I would be surprised if Foster simply picked T&F over football but you never know. Sometimes talented players just don't want to play anymore. And I think the Addazio years took a lot of enthusiasm out of it.
P.U.T.U
3:46p, 4/23/24
Foster had/has some NIL deals so he may be able to pay for whatever tuition from that so being on scholarship may not be a huge factor
Ag_0112358132134
4:44p, 4/23/24
Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

Jimbo came in a pretended to correct the culture problems. Only we found out later that he didn't correct the issues, he only created new ones with playing favorites and operating under an inflated ego. But we saw that he had discipline problems during his time at fsu and decided to pretend otherwise.

We've never seen a HC that is willing to part ways with multi-year starters and highly recruited players because they wouldn't follow the same rules set for everyone else on the team.

This doesn't mean we're winning the natty this year, but it also doesn't mean that Elko isn't correcting the culture problem that we clearly have.

Elko is TRYING to change the culture, as does every new head coach. Whether he is actually changing it or not is yet to be determined and will play out over the next 3-4 years. There's no point in fighting over whether a coach is changing the culture when we haven't even played a game yet.
Bill Superman
5:21p, 4/23/24
In reply to Ag_0112358132134
Ag_0112358132134 said:

Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

Elko is TRYING to change the culture, as does every new head coach. Whether he is actually changing it or not is yet to be determined and will play out over the next 3-4 years. There's no point in fighting over whether a coach is changing the culture when we haven't even played a game yet.

Elko's version of changing the culture has been the most tangible yet and his actions reflect it consistently so far. Not to mention literally every recruit has something to say about it.

After seeing the high end recruiting from Jimbo and the results that followed, this was the very clear most pressing need next to portal recruiting, and Elko has shown he knows how to address both thus far, and in spades. Nothing wrong with pointing out facts even if it causes some reason for an little excitement.
agchugger
5:21p, 4/23/24
Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

I know you keep pointing out to 'multi-year starter' and "highly recruited", but you can also point to "part of the worst OL in the SEC for the last two years" and "very low PFF grades" as a reason he needed to be removed. Its not a shocker that we're making changes from one of the worst starters on one of the worst offensive lines in the SEC last year. The ability to utilize NIL and transfer rules is also new to this coaching regime that hasn't been around before. You used to have to recruit your own and coach 'em up. You couldn't so easily plug and play. Look at tu, they are pushing out a highly recruited starting CB because he wasn't satisfactory in the Spring and looking to upgrade. NIL/Transfer rules are a game changer in terms of making changes now.
Captain Awesome
5:32p, 4/23/24
I'm going to pull a BL move and say, after the fact, that I saw this coming. I remember watching Elko respond to a question about Foster's availability during the first spring presser. He did NOT seem happy about his own answer. I was thinking, why didn't they follow up with another question. It was obvious that something was off. Then I remembered which people show up to these press things.
Jesus loves tacos!
TyperWoods
5:33p, 4/23/24
He's not going to be in the NFL, I suspect shot putting is easier in more ways than one.

Best of luck, thanks for your service.
Bill Superman
5:34p, 4/23/24
In reply to agchugger
agchugger said:

Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

I know you keep pointing out to 'multi-year starter' and "highly recruited", but you can also point to "part of the worst OL in the SEC for the last two years" and "very low PFF grades" as a reason he needed to be removed. It's not a shocker that we're making changes from one of the worst starters on one of the worst offensive lines in the SEC last year. The ability to utilize NIL and transfer rules is also new to this coaching regime that hasn't been around before. You used to have to recruit your own and coach 'em up. You couldn't so easily plug and play. Look at tu, they are pushing out a highly recruited starting CB because he wasn't satisfactory in the Spring and looking to upgrade. NIL/Transfer rules are a game changer in terms of making changes now.
I actually liked Foster and wish he was more committed to football, but he chose his path. And I blame most of our OL woes on Jimbo/Addazio.

If you haven't noticed, bad O Lines followed Jimbo around. Having 1 good OL in 6 years is pitiful. And don't forget to look at how he left fsu's O line.
NyAggie
6:39p, 4/23/24
In reply to Sterling82
Sterling82 said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

Without knowing the details, on the face of it, it looks like a D move. If he was allowed to come in after T&F and re-establish himself as a starter that would be good for the team. He should be given the opportunity. If not, we're no worse off. All he was doing was what he was told he could when recruited. I don't think he's a guy that should be crapped on just to set an example.

Dude, no ****ing way. It's a new coaching staff installing a new offense. You can't just skip the entirety of spring practice and offseason team workouts under a new staff. He was rightfully cut.

Also, if he was told he could be a two sport athlete, he needed to hold up his end of the bargain and exert the effort to be a two sport athlete. He didn't. He was a track athlete who, in order to keep his scholarship, also showed up about mid-way through fall camp every year and bumbled around during games because Jimbo kept allowing it.

Football players must be focused on football and prepared to play football. He needed to go. It's best for all involved.

So, if Foster came back and earned a starting role, he should be cut anyway. There will be many O-linemen riding the pine this fall. I can't see how Bryce being one of them would be a detriment while, on the other hand, an experienced starter won't even get chance because he's been cut could be. All for the purpose of sending a message.

It's more than that

You can't allow a player, no matter the reason, to skip spring practice by choice and then preach to the rest of the team about accountability and putting in the work

The other players won't buy in if you allow exceptions

Cutting foster sends a really strong message to the team and only quickens the buy-in and strengthens everyone's commitment to the team and to becoming the best players they can be

NyAggie
6:41p, 4/23/24
Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

100%
Ags77
6:51p, 4/23/24
In reply to Ag_0112358132134
Ag_0112358132134 said:

Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

" changing the culture" has very little to do with playing the game. It's much deeper than that. Elko wants kids to be committed, be good teammates, take pride and care of our awesome facilities, be on time to meetings, practices, be WHERE you are supposed to be WHEN you are supposed to be and be prepared to pay a price when you are not. And a lot more. A good culture should result in wins on the field in time, but it begins much earlier.
agchugger
6:53p, 4/23/24
Bill Superman said:

agchugger said:

Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

I know you keep pointing out to 'multi-year starter' and "highly recruited", but you can also point to "part of the worst OL in the SEC for the last two years" and "very low PFF grades" as a reason he needed to be removed. It's not a shocker that we're making changes from one of the worst starters on one of the worst offensive lines in the SEC last year. The ability to utilize NIL and transfer rules is also new to this coaching regime that hasn't been around before. You used to have to recruit your own and coach 'em up. You couldn't so easily plug and play. Look at tu, they are pushing out a highly recruited starting CB because he wasn't satisfactory in the Spring and looking to upgrade. NIL/Transfer rules are a game changer in terms of making changes now.
I actually liked Foster and wish he was more committed to football, but he chose his path. And I blame most of our OL woes on Jimbo/Addazio.

If you haven't noticed, bad O Lines followed Jimbo around. Having 1 good OL in 6 years is pitiful. And don't forget to look at how he left fsu's O line.

None of that changes the facts that our OL was ranked near the bottom of the SEC the last two years and Foster's PFF grades were near one of the worst in the OL. Statistically speaking, he was not good the last two years and barring a turnaround on coaching, that wasn't going to change. Elko and staff likely saw enough to see he wasn't the answer combined with his focus on T&F and they had access to an avenue to immediately upgrade that no other coach before had as much access to.
ABATTBQ11
7:26p, 4/23/24
In reply to Schrute Farms
Schrute Farms said:

Aggie*1982 said:

I have not seen anyone post this yet, but the 2024 Olympics is coming up. Does Bryce have a shot at the shotput?

He's currently ranked #12 in the SEC and would be around the Top 80-90 nationally with this season's throws. It would be a long shotput to make the Olympics.

FIFY
Ags77
7:34p, 4/23/24
In reply to rgag12
rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

You gotta dig a little deeper. Not wanting to pile on Jimbo or Kevin, but ask around. Ask if players were late to meetings, weight room workouts, ask if players were late or didn't even practice lots of days. Ask about the lockeroom. Ask if the 5 stars were treated the same as the lesser stars.. etc.. ( a lot more I could say) .

Elko wants to establish a culture where these things are taken care of. Things like mandatory breakfast, on time for EVERYTHING done as a TEAM, sitting with different coaches and teammates for meals etc.. Treat our kids well BUT hold them accountable.
Bill Superman
7:36p, 4/23/24
In reply to agchugger
agchugger said:

Bill Superman said:

agchugger said:

Bill Superman said:

rgag12 said:

Ags77 said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

No, he is right.

None of that changes the facts that our OL was ranked near the bottom of the SEC the last two years and Foster's PFF grades were near one of the worst in the OL. Statistically speaking, he was not good the last two years and barring a turnaround on coaching, that wasn't going to change. Elko and staff likely saw enough to see he wasn't the answer combined with his focus on T&F and they had access to an avenue to immediately upgrade that no other coach before had as much access to.
Thanks for pointing out what I've been trying to say this entire time.
EastTexasAg2022
8:43p, 4/23/24
I remember vividly how much he struggled to snap the ball at Tennessee last year. Not practicing fundamentals like that over the offseason looks like it finally cought up to him. Good for Elko, good for our team. That set the expectation and sends the right message.
He is Ass My Dude
8:48p, 4/23/24
Most guys competing in the Olympics in shot put are a little older. I think the top American is in his 30s.

If Bryce has those aspirations he has another 4-5 years of total dedication to even be close.

Sounds to me like football is not a priority. If he enters the transfer portal after track, I'd be surprised.

I wish him all the best in T&F.
Unemployed
8:49p, 4/23/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.
Big difference is the guys you listed actually performed well on the football field. If Foster was good enough or 100% committed to football, he'd still be on the team.
ElephantRider
9:17p, 4/23/24
In reply to taylorswift13_
taylorswift13_ said:

Slicer97 said:

Aggie*1982 said:

I have not seen anyone post this yet, but the 2024 Olympics is coming up. Does Bryce have a shot at the shotput?
Not if he can't throw it past 60 feet.
needs to go over 72/73 in the USA! He's ranked 63rd in the NCAA…

I don't keep up with track, but I always assumed he was good if he was willing to take so much time away from football.
GigEmReggie
10:42p, 4/23/24
I don't understand how you can be passionate about competing in throwing a metal ball as far as you can. Especially if you're not particularly great at it. I guess it's cool there are such people out there, but it sucks we gave a football scholarship to one.
W
11:18p, 4/23/24
not to mention the NIL money
rootube
11:43p, 4/23/24
In reply to GigEmReggie
GigEmReggie said:

I don't understand how you can be passionate about competing in throwing a metal ball as far as you can. Especially if you're not particularly great at it. I guess it's cool there are such people out there, but it sucks we gave a football scholarship to one.

You know competing at A&M in track means you are pretty good at it right?
Cojack
11:52p, 4/23/24
Good person, wish him the best, Tracks where his heart is
Hehateme1
12:43a, 4/24/24
He's an Ag. I'll always remember his hustle during his freshman year. Didn't he deliver a key block about 40 yds downfield to secure a TD ? My goggle fu is weak.

Don't make assumptions. perhaps the nagging injuries were taking a toll. Maybe he still wanted to be able to walk when he was 35

Gig 'Em, Bryce. I loved watching you play.
PerdidoKey2030
6:46a, 4/24/24
In reply to Next Year is the Year
Next Year is the Year said:

As others have said, he showed a lot of potential early on, but it just didn't work out and I wish him the best.

Also, I just don't understand the shot put stuff. It's a strange and dated 'sport' and I have no idea why anyone would take time away from football to do that.

Perhaps he has more faith in himself than relying on others to be viewed as successful. Shotput is a me sport, football is a team sport, some folks don't like all that goes with that and I completely understand that.
NowhereMan
8:36a, 4/24/24

Frankly Foster can probably get an NFL tryout any time he wants one.

If Foster was promised by A&M the ability to compete in two sports, the details were likely a handshake deal as to what Foster had to do to make it happen. Fisher agreed to one thing Elko had a different idea, and Foster picked the sport of his choice.

I am not going to believe it is a culture change until I see more evidence of what looks like a decision by Foster more than Elko.

BCEDAg
10:09a, 4/24/24
I'm not one to trash on Bryce. None of us really know what has transpired as to him leaving football. Could be a variety of reasons - didn't want to risk injuries that could affect him long term, perhaps soured on football due to Addazio's crappy coaching, etc. All I know is that from what I've heard and read Bryce is a great guy and Aggie. I wish nothing but the best for him in whatever he pursues.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings