Need to rehome our 10 month old GSP

3,166 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by MaroonSpirit
VickJD05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Guys,
I hate having to do this but we need to rehome our 10 month old GSP.

Long story as short as possible.... We had 3 dogs and my wife came home with a puppy. We can't handle 4 dogs.

The dog (Rooster) is great with my 2 year old and 4 month old kiddos. Doesn't really bother our cat. Now for the bad news. He plays extremely rough with other dogs and this (along with protective tendencies) has lead to some fights with the other dogs. He would do best as the only dog in the house.

Asking for help from my Aggie brethren. Not asking for money, just to see that he goes to a good home.

you can email me for pictures or other info at vick 116 at yahoo . com

Thanks
Ptery83
Where are you located?
VickJD05
AG
Kyle TX
SARATOGA
Is this a pure bread AKC certified GSP ?

I'm on my 2nd GSP, had 1st for 14 years, and 2nd GSP is 3 years old.

They are about the sweetest, kindest, and best with family/kids dog I could imagine. Im interested, but also at the same time skeptical.

Can you send pics or maybe some more information about current location (yard?) and socialization with other dogs ?
TheVarian
AG
Post on Outdoors board.
VickJD05
AG
He has papers

If you'd like to talk further, my email is in my post
VickJD05
AG
Posted on OB 1st.

Thanks for the suggestion
JamesPShelley
[If you are not interested in an item on this board do not post on the thread. -Staff]
tamc91
AG
I have a female lab that had the highest retrieving motor of her litter when I picked her. She's a sweet dog and great with the family and other dogs, ....generally.

The challenge is she loves to play rough with other dogs as if they are all her litter mates. It was a habit learned early, in her first 7-8 weeks. She would act like she wanted to pounce at other dogs on walks, and she didn't realize this could trigger other dogs as perceived aggression. When they would snap she would perk up and wag her tail like "what's wrong with you?". It has taken a lot of work to minimize this and avoid conflicts on walks. Interestingly, the dog that seemed most set off by my 45 lb female lab's posture was an 80 lbs male GSP.

Point is, dogs can be trained to be obedient and correct bad habits, but it can take a lot of time and effort not all families have. Dogs have unique personalities that don't always align with the general idea of the breed's average or typical temperament..

OP - good luck re-homing your pup. Tough situation, but I can relate.
VickJD05
AG
Bump

He's still availble. Any help is appreciated
Girlhowdy
AG
There's a GSP rescue group in Texas. texasgsprescue.com. I don't know anything about them other than they exist. Email is gsp911tx@yahoo.com
Good luck
Gig 'Em, Ags
JoeAggie1010
Can you post some pictures?
MaroonSpirit
AG
I emailed you. Please reply
ElephantRider
AG
Was going to jump at this until I saw the part about the other dogs. Always wanted a GSP. Good luck finding him a new home
whoop_2004
I picked up Rooster last Wednesday and he has been such a good pup. Typical active GSP, but he's a happy boy running around the backyard chasing squirrels before coming inside to pass out and snore on the floor.

Can't thank VickJD05 enough for giving me the opportunity to have this silly dog!

Diggity
AG
This post makes me happy
MaroonSpirit
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.