Wrexham AFC
41,330 Views | 564 Replies
FTAco07
5:26p, 2/7/23
In reply to ThunderCougarFalconBird
I doubt they would need additional investors to compete/win League 2. I imagine the club is bringing in a ton of revenue now that nobody south of the Championship can match and wouldn't require much in the way of infusions.

I just looked up someone's estimate of values for current League 2 clubs and the range is only 1.4 - 9.2MM Euro (not sure why it would be in Euro so take those numbers with a huge grain of salt) so it's not like they would raise a ton of money by selling a share at anything close to League 2 or even League 1 valuations (5 - 23MM Euro).
AgRyan04
9:34p, 2/7/23
I worked from 6am to 9:15pm today, collapsed onto the couch, and turned on the replay that Ive been looking forward to for over a week........and my friggin teenager walks by and says, "Oh, Wrexham lost".

That was a pretty good recap on the rest of my day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rudyjax
6:57a, 2/8/23
In reply to AgRyan04
AgRyan04 said:

I worked from 6am to 9:15pm today, collapsed onto the couch, and turned on the replay that Ive been looking forward to for over a week........and my friggin teenager walks by and says, "Oh, Wrexham lost".

That was a pretty good recap on the rest of my day.

Typical.

At least your kid knew.
AgRyan04
8:15a, 2/8/23
He apologized and I ended up watching it.

It's probably good I knew the result because that second half was wild and I would have been able to wind down to go to sleep.
Out in Left Field
11:29a, 2/14/23
Ryan Reynolds now looking to buy part of the Ottawa Senators.
Rudyjax
11:32a, 2/14/23
In reply to Out in Left Field
Out in Left Field said:

I bet he has an NBA, MLB, or NFL team by the end of the decade.
aggiedadofpanda
1:36p, 2/14/23
In reply to BQ_90
BQ_90 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Enough money put into Wrexham they can do it.
so you're saying the teams right below the Premier league isn't putting money into their clubs.

The question will be is can they put enough to rise above those others teams, the higher they go the harder it'll be because those other clubs will have just as much money

I think one of the things that will ultimately really help to recruit talent to Wrexham is the star power of Ryan and Rob. It's not that teams won't have the same amount (or more) money, but when you think of the spotlight that is shining on Wrexham because of the owners, the marketing opportunities for players with Aviation Gin, TikTok, etc. are VASTLY better than playing for another Championship level club.

I'm just waiting for Gareth Bale to announce that he's signing with Wrexham...
ChipFTAC01
1:50p, 2/14/23
In reply to aggiedadofpanda
aggiedadofpanda said:

BQ_90 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Enough money put into Wrexham they can do it.
so you're saying the teams right below the Premier league isn't putting money into their clubs.

The question will be is can they put enough to rise above those others teams, the higher they go the harder it'll be because those other clubs will have just as much money

I think one of the things that will ultimately really help to recruit talent to Wrexham is the star power of Ryan and Rob. It's not that teams won't have the same amount (or more) money, but when you think of the spotlight that is shining on Wrexham because of the owners, the marketing opportunities for players with Aviation Gin, TikTok, etc. are VASTLY better than playing for another Championship level club.

I'm just waiting for Gareth Bale to announce that he's signing with Wrexham...

I think you're overstating that a bit. They'll have a leg up recruiting against league 2 and even a lot of league 1 teams but by the time you're looking at Championship teams you're talking about teams with 20-25000+ seat stadiums in bigger cities.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
2:29p, 2/14/23
In reply to ChipFTAC01
I know it isn't apples to apples comparison but Eibar (8,500 seat stadium in 25,000 person town) spent several years in La Liga recently.

If financed correctly and managed well, Wrexham could generate serious momentum to make a run up the football league ladder. That's not to say they're destined for EPL but I would not be shocked to see them competing in the championship.
Rudyjax
2:36p, 2/14/23
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

I know it isn't apples to apples comparison but Eibar (8,500 seat stadium in 25,000 person town) spent several years in La Liga recently.

If financed correctly and managed well, Wrexham could generate serious momentum to make a run up the football league ladder. That's not to say they're destined for EPL but I would not be shocked to see them competing in the championship.
They will also have the celebrity suite factor not of interest to the common team.

Their merchandise will outsell the common premier league team.

They have the opportunity to be marketed the the Super League teams.

I think a lot of you are underestimating what money and star power can bring.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
2:41p, 2/14/23
In reply to Rudyjax
I guess I'm on the fence about it. If it's so valuable and working, every petro state club is going to be clamoring to make sure the public knows that [widely popular celebrity] owns part of the club and has a series about their day to day.
Rudyjax
2:52p, 2/14/23

I guess I'm on the fence about it. If it's so valuable and working, every petro state club is going to be clamoring to make sure the public knows that [widely popular celebrity] owns part of the club and has a series about their day to day.

So everyone is going to have 2 really likable guys and a perfectly done docuseries?

Someone can try, but then they'd just be copying Deadpool and his friend.
Faustus
3:21p, 2/14/23
In reply to Rudyjax
Chuck Cunningham said:

Out in Left Field said:

I bet he has an NBA, MLB, or NFL team by the end of the decade.
He'd need to be a minority owner then, because everyone of those teams except for the Miami Marlins is valued at north of $1 billion ($990 million for the Marlins).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193637/franchise-value-of-major-league-baseball-teams-in-2010/#:~:text=The%20Miami%20Marlins%20was%20the,billion%20U.S.%20dollars%20in%202022.

The cheapest NBA team is the New Orleans Pelicans at $1.51 billion.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/nbas-most-valuable-franchises-heading-2022-23-season

The cheapest NFL team is the Cincinnati Bengals at $3 billion.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2022/08/22/nfl-team-values-2022-dallas-cowboys-are-the-first-franchise-worth-8-billion/?sh=669bdee86365

He split the $2.5 million tab with Rob for Wrexham, and that was with a Netflix documentary in his pocket.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
4:45p, 2/14/23
In reply to Rudyjax
Chuck Cunningham said:

So everyone is going to have 2 really likable guys and a perfectly done docuseries?

Someone can try, but then they'd just be copying Deadpool and his friend.
You've got a valid point. Valuing what they've done in the context of a non-league side and extrapolation into the professional ranks might work. It will definitely draw copycats and the copycats will be well done. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like it by the start of next season in the fall. And it will be exceptionally well done because the petro state clubs in particular know that its another ripe opportunity for sportswashing.

The value of Wrexham being a sort of "first actor" is certainly there. The question is how valuable is it really? No doubt this will return them permanently to the professional ranks (for the foreseeable future at least). I'm not saying this isn't a huge springboard for the club. I'm just skeptical as to how high the bounce will be.
deadbq03
6:05a, 2/15/23

I think people would sniff out the petro-club minority-owner scenario as inauthentic.

A brilliant hidden aspect of the show is the fact that it didn't take an enormous amount of money and yet these guys fully own the club. It adds an "Everyman" quality to the show, and they definitely tried to drum that up early with Rob's Philly background story.

Between that, and Rob's vision to start the thing at all, and the fact that they own it outright themselves, it gives an authenticity to the show that simply can't be matched by a minority-owner situation.

That said, I could see a show that's geared entirely differently work well… like if a Kardashian (or whoever is famous now of that same ilk) got a stake in Monaco or one of the Milan teams, that's a show that could tell its own very different kind story and work.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
9:29a, 2/15/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

That said, I could see a show that's geared entirely differently work well… like if a Kardashian (or whoever is famous now of that same ilk) got a stake in Monaco or one of the Milan teams, that's a show that could tell its own very different kind story and work.
This is more of what I was thinking. Replicating what Rob and Ryan did with Wrexham would be really tough. But a tie in with an F1 driver or something. Lewis Hamilton - Man City - Yas Marina - (all of that jerkoff stuff in general).
Faustus
10:57a, 2/17/23
Drew against Woking last match with 16 to play (Yeovil Town [I wonder if opposing fans switch the e and o] was postponed due to Cup play).

5 points back of Notts County with two games in hand. Hopefully the squad can secure the automatic promotion that comes with finishing first, and not have to go through the playoffs again.

Notts County and Wrexham are well clear of 3rd place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wrexham+standings&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS823US823&oq=wrexham+standings&aqs=chrome.0.0i131i433i512j46i175i199i433i512j0i131i433i512j0i512l7.3706j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/025czw;2;/m/0339d5;st;fp;1;;;
Rudyjax
9:44a, 2/18/23
I follow them of FotMob. They have horrid D. They score. Give up a goal. Score. Give up a goal. Lol.
Faustus
1:05p, 2/22/23
Picked up the next two wins.

14 matches to play. Still 5 points back of first place Notts County with two games in hand.

Home match against Notts County on 4/10 looming large.
JJxvi
5:39p, 2/22/23
The record for most points in this division is 105. Both Wrexham and Notts County are currently on pace to have 112 points at the end of the year. Its conceivable that both teams break the points record and then one of them doesnt get promoted as the second place team has to go through the playoffs.

Imagine the currently on pace scenario where both teams finish with 112, but also if one team loses in the playoffs having lost out on goal difference.
walton91
6:18p, 2/22/23
In reply to JJxvi
Don't say that. My BAS is already kicking in thinking about the playoff
walton91
4:48p, 2/25/23
Dag & Red beats Notts County so now only 2 pts back with 2 games in hand
Texaggie7nine
4:54p, 2/25/23
Saw on ESPN ticker that Wrexham us coming to the US to play Man U
7nine
agdoc2001
3:49p, 2/28/23
Win over Chesterfield puts Wrexham top of the table
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgRyan04
4:13p, 2/28/23
In reply to Texaggie7nine
And Chelsea, I believe
JJxvi
4:20p, 2/28/23
:::pencils in preseason friendly loss to Wrexham into list of embarrassing 2023 results:::
walton91
4:32p, 2/28/23
These guys are giving a masterclass on how to do this. Announced that Kings of Leon will be playing the Racecourse. Nice enough, but opening will be Wrexham's own the Declan Swans from the show

tysker
10:17a, 3/1/23
In reply to walton91
Of course Redstone will be attending for the opener
deadbq03
11:17a, 3/1/23
I wonder if this an event that they had to get in the books now, but one that they hope will be a part of a larger season-end celebration…
walton91
4:39p, 3/7/23
4 points clear of Notts County after today, 10 matches to go
Legal Custodian
4:42p, 3/7/23
Win over Dag & Red to move Wrexham 4 points clear of Notts County. Both teams have 10 matches left including one against each other.

Magic number at 26pts. So (10-0-0), (9-1-0), or (8-0-2) would guarantee promotion. Need just 4 points to guarantee a playoff spot.
Legal Custodian
4:42p, 3/7/23
In reply to walton91
Damn, you beat me to it.
Legal Custodian
4:49p, 3/7/23
In reply to Legal Custodian
Legal Custodian said:

Win over Dag & Red to move Wrexham 4 points clear of Notts County. Both teams have 10 matches left including one against each other.

Magic number at 26pts. So (10-0-0), (9-1-0), or (8-0-2) would guarantee promotion. Need just 4 points to guarantee a playoff spot.
Actually, scratch that. Wrexham needs 1 point to guarantee at least a 7th place finish and be the last team in. Obviously that's just mathematically and would require the absolute perfect storm to occur.
deadbq03
7:01p, 3/15/23
So Ryan Reynolds most certainly has Championship-level money now if he wants to throw it around.

Supposedly he owned 20%…

jeffk
7:41p, 3/15/23
In reply to deadbq03
So glad something is finally going Ryan's way.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 17
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings