****Bundesliga 2023/24 Season Thread****
7,461 Views | 158 Replies
Legal Custodian
5:09p, 3/5/24
Nice result for Bayern today. Will be rooting for Leipzig against Real tomorrow. Mainly because I hate Real and I root for the Bundesliga in general and I want that coefficient bump. But it would be nice to play Leipzig in the quarters, would be intense.
deadbq03
7:56p, 3/5/24
In reply to Legal Custodian
I haven't watched much this year, but that's the best I've seen Bayern look all year (minus the first 10 minutes).

I'd love to see an upset tomorrow, but I fully expect to see us be dumb and give up a ton of points like we almost always do on 2nd legs when we're on the road and down points.
Legal Custodian
11:20a, 3/6/24
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

I haven't watched much this year, but that's the best I've seen Bayern look all year (minus the first 10 minutes).

I'd love to see an upset tomorrow, but I fully expect to see us be dumb and give up a ton of points like we almost always do on 2nd legs when we're on the road and down points.
I agree, outside of maybe the first Der Klassiker where we routed Dortmund 4-0.
deadbq03
7:19p, 3/6/24
Well that went far better than I expected.

Which makes it far more heartbreaking.

Proud though. Across both legs we put ourselves in the right places to possibly win, and more importantly, we didn't get ravaged at the back when trying to attack like we have in years past in the knockouts.

Hopefully they can take the positives and climb a spot or two to close out the season. Schedule is favorable for a late season push… hopefully the mentality is there too.
Legal Custodian
3:57p, 3/7/24
Freigburg with a big win over West Ham! Was shocked at a draw for Leverkusen vs FK Qarabag (who?) seeing as they killed them 5-1 last time.
Forum Troll
4:05p, 3/7/24
Legal Custodian said:

Freigburg with a big win over West Ham! Was shocked at a draw for Leverkusen vs FK Qarabag (who?) seeing as they killed them 5-1 last time.

Tom Rennie Twitter is lit
deadbq03
4:24p, 3/7/24
That one ended controversially. Should've been a penalty for handball at the death… would've been a damn shame, but the right call.

Leverkusen rested half or more of their starters and also had to travel a bajillion miles. Starters came back on and they came back to draw. Was pretty intense, good fans there at Q.
Legal Custodian
11:35a, 3/27/24
In reply to deadbq03
Big match on Saturday for Leipzig's UCL hopes. Should I get you a Bayern jersey deadbq03?
deadbq03
2:06p, 3/27/24
I'm not too concerned… Leipzig's schedule is favorable. Some analysts think we'll finish 3rd since both Dortmund and Stuttgart have harder remaining schedules.

But since this weekend is part of that, by all means. I'd happily wear just about any Bayern jersey except Upamecano.
deadbq03
6:29p, 3/28/24
Guess he's waiting for RM… will be interesting to see if they can manage to retain Wirtz. Regardless, it'll make next year interesting if this proves true.

Legal Custodian
10:32a, 3/29/24
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Guess he's waiting for RM… will be interesting to see if they can manage to retain Wirtz. Regardless, it'll make next year interesting if this proves true.

Wow, out of all the options, him staying at Leverkusen seemed like the least likely. I hate it for Bayern cause I have no idea who we turn to now, but this is great news for the Bundesliga as a whole.
deadbq03
10:47a, 3/29/24
Sounds like he's getting a formal release clause put into his contract for 2025. He also may want to get a year in UCL under his belt before jumping right into a club that has high UCL aspirations.

I've seen lots of rumors y'all want De Zerbi or Ralf Rangnick. Also seen some perhaps wishful thinking that Zidane would come and bring Ribery as an assistant.

Rangnick would be a really smart choice IMO, but De Zerbi or Zidane are the Hollywood picks so I expect something like that.
deadbq03
11:30a, 3/30/24
Lovely. I jinxed myself. Freaking Mainz GK had his best game of the season and we can't score against them.
Legal Custodian
7:59p, 3/30/24
In reply to deadbq03
Looks like we both did. This team, I have no idea what we're gonna get game in game out
Legal Custodian
1:58p, 4/6/24
deadbq03
4:16p, 4/6/24
Just come join the UCL battle - it's a lot more interesting down here.
Legal Custodian
4:31p, 4/6/24
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Just come join the UCL battle - it's a lot more interesting down here.

We'll probably lose out to finish 5th in league play and then the Bundesliga will get the 5th spot this year and we'll back in to the UCL.

Whatever brings the most drama will happen.

I haven't watched much Arsenal this year but if they have any semblance of a counter attack we are going to get smoked.
deadbq03
5:06p, 4/6/24
Most drama would be y'all finishing 5th but winning UCL and getting in that way.
Legal Custodian
5:18p, 4/6/24
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Most drama would be y'all finishing 5th but winning UCL and getting in that way.

I'd be okay with that
deadbq03
9:40p, 4/6/24
I figured you might. It's the outcome I'm now officially rooting for.
deadbq03
8:19a, 4/7/24
Tuchel is approaching Klinsmann levels of bad management… Klinsmann who Philip Lahm famously said was such a poor manager that the players had to hold meetings on their own to come up with tactical decisions.

Legal Custodian
4:48p, 4/9/24
With the way we looked vs Arsenal today, I bet we finish 3rd behind Leverkusen and Stuttgart.

I bet if you told people the 23/24 season wouldn't have much drama at the top of the league they would believe you. But not if you told them it wouldn't be Bayern.

Gonna be a crazy finish for that 4th UCL spot. Gotta think Leipzig has the advantage with a +8 GD on Dortmund. Y'all have a tough road ahead with Frankfurt, Dortmund, Hoffenheim, and a red hot Heidenheim still on schedule. All top half teams.

Dortmund has it even tougher as they have 'gladbach, Leverkusen, Leipzig, Augsburg, and Mainz (fighting for the life).
deadbq03
9:18a, 4/10/24
As awesome as Leverkusen's run has been, they're not the real story this year IMO.

If you told people that Stuttgart would get a UCL spot, they would've had you committed. They're the reason that the UCL fight is so crazy between Leipzig and Dortmund. Both would be comfortable by now if Stuttgart acted like the bottom-feeders they were supposed to be.

Xabi will get coach of the year, but IMO Hoeness has been a miracle worker and may well deserve it more.
Legal Custodian
9:55a, 4/13/24
What a strike by Guerrero!
Legal Custodian
9:56a, 4/13/24
Dortmund up 2-1 but just got a red card. Will be interesting if 'Gladbach can get a result
deadbq03
10:13a, 4/13/24
Thanks for the heads up. I'll switch to that… I think I can safely stop watching Leipzig and Wrexham now.

Upon switching, however, I'd be stunned if Gladbach can get a result.
Legal Custodian
10:26a, 4/13/24
Gladbach looked better without the man advantage
Furlock Bones
12:25p, 4/14/24
Leverkusen have officially done it. 5-nil smashing of Werder. Xabi Alonso with one of the all time great German seasons. Neverkusen no more. Leverkusen end Bayern's 11 year run in style.
Legal Custodian
4:39p, 4/16/24
Dortmund winning today against Atletico definitely helps the chances of the Bundesliga getting the extra spot in the UCL next year. Pretty much eliminates La Liga from sniping that last spot seeing as there's only Real Madrid left.

It's down to England vs Germany on the coefficients.
Legal Custodian
9:17p, 4/16/24
https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/bayern-munich-transfer-rumors-news/2024/4/15/24127003/report-bayern-munich-official-julian-nagelsmann-head-coach-talks-thomas-tuchel-germany-euro-2024
deadbq03
8:56a, 4/17/24
Legal Custodian said:

Dortmund winning today against Atletico definitely helps the chances of the Bundesliga getting the extra spot in the UCL next year. Pretty much eliminates La Liga from sniping that last spot seeing as there's only Real Madrid left.

It's down to England vs Germany on the coefficients.
IIIFFFF (big big if) Dortmund can win the UCL and Germany gets the 5th coefficient spot and Dortmund finish 5th in Bundesliga, then Bundesliga would get 6 spots.

But back on planet earth, Aston Villa are gonna crush the conference league and get England more points, City is likely to win the UCL and get England more points, and if we're honest, it's likely that both Bundesliga clubs will lose in the next UCL round (assuming Bayern can manage to win today which is a poor assumption). But Europa League is in our favor with Liverpool unlikely to advance, and Leverkusen looking for 3 trophies.

It's gonna be tight. Difference might come down to math… England's points get divided 8 ways while Germany's get divided by 7.
deadbq03
9:17a, 4/17/24
Legal Custodian said:

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/bayern-munich-transfer-rumors-news/2024/4/15/24127003/report-bayern-munich-official-julian-nagelsmann-head-coach-talks-thomas-tuchel-germany-euro-2024
Yeah this is crazy. Supposedly most of the bad blood involved Kahn and Brazzo. Lots of folks saying an offer has been made and it's now up to Nagelsmann to accept.

If I'm him, I wouldn't go back. At least not this soon.
Legal Custodian
3:29p, 4/17/24
Kimmich has been on the hot seat for sure, but I think it shows you he just doesn't care for Tuchel. When he's locked in, he's still one of the best. What a run and header. He's had a hell of a match so far.
Legal Custodian
3:30p, 4/17/24
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Legal Custodian said:

Yeah this is crazy. Supposedly most of the bad blood involved Kahn and Brazzo. Lots of folks saying an offer has been made and it's now up to Nagelsmann to accept.

If I'm him, I wouldn't go back. At least not this soon.
Yeah, I'm still not the biggest fan of Nagelsmann. But talk about coming hat in hand, this would be nuts if he came back. I would guess after the Euros this summer.
deadbq03
3:34p, 4/17/24
Just hire someone. Anyone. Maybe give TT another lame duck season. Then next summer have a big meeting with Bayern, DFB, Klopp, and Nagelmann and figure out who's coaching where.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings