USWNT and women's professional soccer thread
5,994 Views | 85 Replies
akm91
1:06p, 2/20/24
W Gold Cup kicks off tonight with US fielding a transitional roster (finally!). US Plays against Dominican Republic at 9:15 CT.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash), Casey Murphy (North Carolina Courage), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)

DEFENDERS (8): Alana Cook (Seattle Reign FC), Abby Dahlkemper (San Diego Wave FC), Crystal Dunn (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Tierna Davidson (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Emily Fox (Arsenal FC, ENG), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave FC), Casey Krueger (Washington Spirit), Jenna Nighswonger (NY/NJ Gotham FC)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Korbin Albert (Paris Saint-Germain, FRA), Sam Coffey (Portland Thorns FC), Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyon, FRA), Rose Lavelle (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Olivia Moultrie (Portland Thorns FC), Emily Sonnett (NJ/NY Gotham FC)

FORWARDS (6): Mia Fishel (Chelsea FC, ENG), Midge Purce (NJ/NY Gotham FC), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit), Jaedyn Shaw (San Diego Wave FC), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns FC), Lynn Williams (NJ/NY Gotham FC)

Lots of new and young faces on the roster: Jaedyn Shaw, Korbin Albert, Olivia Moultrie, Sam Coffey, Mia Fishel and Jenna Nighswonger.

Morgan, Kristie Mewis and Sullivan were not called in with Mallory Swanson and Catarina Macario still recovering from injuries.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
9:46a, 2/21/24
The youngsters scored 3 of 5 goals last night. Moultrie with a brace. Nighswonger, Williams and Morgan also scored.

Morgan was called up due to Fishel's torn ACL
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
8:52p, 2/21/24
In reply to akm91
4 years too late to focus on the youth but I like the teen the new manager has.
Grapesoda2525
1:07a, 2/24/24
I don't get the Sophia Smith hype. She seems way over rated. What has she accomplished?
tylercsbn9
11:53p, 2/26/24
Can't even beat Mexico now huh?
Dre_00
12:47a, 2/27/24
The devil's dos a cero.
Ags-R-Better
6:36a, 2/27/24
That was a really bad starting 11 last night; from the first whistle Mexico had them back on their heels. It's probably good to remind them they are not invincible, but hopefully we see a more competitive lineup in future games.
MookieBlaylock
8:14a, 2/27/24
Equal pay equal scrutiny
.terrible loss by a terrible organization that allowed politics to stunt a generation of players

Rudyjax
8:24a, 2/27/24
The title 9 model that made us successful is now handicapping us. We need to model the teams after the European system of developing talent at a younger age. Stop hunting for hardware. Sign the elites at 15-16 and let them develop in a pro model.

Rudyjax
8:41a, 2/27/24
The USWNT lost for just the second time in 43 matchups with Mexico, falling 2-0 in the Concacaf W Gold Cup group stage game. In addition, the defeat represented the USWNT's first on home soil against Concacaf opposition since 2000, breaking an unbeaten streak of 80 games (78 wins, two draws). The last time Mexico defeated the USWNT was in November 2010 during Concacaf World Cup qualifying.
wangus12
9:08a, 2/27/24
In reply to Ags-R-Better
Ags-R-Better said:

That was a really bad starting 11 last night; from the first whistle Mexico had them back on their heels. It's probably good to remind them they are not invincible, but hopefully we see a more competitive lineup in future games.
This was basically the top XI available. They should have dominated this game.
HowdyTexasAggies
9:58a, 2/27/24
Watched some of both half's, they were pretty handedly dominated. Score could have been worse, maybe 0-4. Maybe it's just youth? Wonder how our average age compares to Mexico. In the minutes I watched, I think we had maybe 1 scoring opportunity, pretty bad. Not sure our keeper is really that good. Both goals on shots outside the box (I think).
ColoradoMooseHerd
10:04a, 2/27/24
In reply to Ags-R-Better
Ags-R-Better said:

Is there someone besides Pugh-Swanson or Macario, they have not returned form injuries that we are missing?
Rudyjax
10:26a, 2/27/24
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

Ags-R-Better said:

yeah. I read that comment then looked at the lineup. That was their best 11.
LeonardSkinner
2:49p, 2/27/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

wangus12 said:

Ags-R-Better said:

yeah. I read that comment then looked at the lineup. That was their best 11.

If only Rapinoe had played.

/s
KCup17
3:16p, 2/27/24
Watched most of the 2nd half last night. Mexico were way more direct. Deservedly won. Really seems like we had no identity or ideas on how to break down the Mexican defense. Rodman had a few moments where she was decisive but then he final product was poor. Too many times we went backwards and let Mexico regroup and regain shape.
Rudyjax
7:37p, 3/3/24
Is the match against Columbia not on TV?
oragator
7:45p, 3/3/24
It's o. ESPN plus

And it's pure concacaf gold from the first minute. Yellows, cheap shots. Rodman should be long gone with a second yellow

One of the most physical women's matched I've watched.
wangus12
8:04p, 3/3/24
In reply to oragator
Bodies going everywhere. I'll be shocked if the USA finish with 11. Colombia is going down at every breath right now
Rudyjax
8:10p, 3/3/24
I'm only seeing Spanish.
oragator
8:11p, 3/3/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Yeah that's all we got.
But it's totally adding to the experience.
Rudyjax
8:16p, 3/3/24
In reply to oragator
oragator said:

Yeah that's all we got.
But it's totally adding to the experience.

WTF.
Makes me wish I had taken Spanish instead of French.
wangus12
8:47p, 3/3/24
There is just something about when Latin teams get mad about other teams going down easy that I find so soothing
oragator
9:14p, 3/3/24
Second half was really quiet, the first half had almost 9 stoppage minutes, the second half had three.
but a safe win either way.
Rudyjax
7:03p, 3/6/24
Is the game only available on ESPN deportes tonight? Is there an English option for play by play?
oragator
9:18p, 3/6/24
Paramount has English.

And the field makes a swimming pool like dry.
Rudyjax
9:25p, 3/6/24
In reply to oragator
oragator said:

Paramount has English.

And the field makes a swimming pool like dry.

Not sure why they make it so hard to find. My go to place to find matches shows only ESPN desportes.
wangus12
9:29p, 3/6/24
How they **** did they decide to let them play on this
oragator
9:29p, 3/6/24
Seriously, this is Sandy Utah 2014 bad.
oragator
9:36p, 3/6/24
That's the stupidest goal I've ever seen.
But totally taking it.
KCup17
10:35p, 3/6/24
The ladies need scuba gear. This is crazy
wangus12
11:01p, 3/6/24
Canada has been coming
'03ag
11:02p, 3/6/24
Lynn Williams is an insane sub for this game. Wouldn't trust her in these conditions at all
Unemployed
11:13p, 3/6/24
USWNT got a lot of talent but no alpha btch.
tylercsbn9
11:24p, 3/6/24
Absurd they allowed them to play in this
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE