Football lawmakers back trials for 'sin bins'
1,399 Views | 17 Replies
Dre_00
9:47a, 11/28/23
https://theathletic.com/5096032/2023/11/28/sin-bins-football-ifab/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twitterfc&source=twitteruk

Quote:

Following a recommendation by the IFAB's Football and Technical Advisory panel in October, IFAB members have supported a trial whereby only team captain will be able to approach the referee in "major game situations"...

...It was also agreed that the 'sin bin' system for temporary dismissals should be trialled beyond the grassroots game to punish dissent and "specific tactical offences"...

If they employ sin bins for players who cynical grab players from behind to stop counter attacks, I will never speak a bad thing about football leadership...for like a month. But still, that's a pretty long time.
oh no
1:05p, 11/28/23
sending a player who is being cautioned for persistent infringement or dissent to the sin bin for a few minutes sounds like potentially a good remedy for the ref to get the game under control.
MookieBlaylock
1:07p, 11/28/23
The GAA black card was the best - send a player off for that and he can be replaced but not return

The sin bin just leads to delay tactics
Showstopper
1:14p, 11/28/23
Quote:

On protecting referees against abuse, Collina said: "Something has to be done, otherwise this might be the cancer that will kill football."
Hyperbole much? It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure players whining to the ref, which has been going on for a looooong time, is this new thing that's destroying the game.

Now VAR…
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
1:28p, 11/28/23
I've never understood why soccer refs allow players to crowd around them like they do. I can't think of another sport that tolerates that behavior.

When did soccer decide that a team would "lose a player" after a red card? When players in other sports are ejected, they are replaceable but not soccer. I never understood why.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
EastSideAg2002
2:37p, 11/28/23
CONCACAF teams would be playing 6 on 4.
texagbeliever
9:52a, 11/29/23
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I've never understood why soccer refs allow players to crowd around them like they do. I can't think of another sport that tolerates that behavior.

When did soccer decide that a team would "lose a player" after a red card? When players in other sports are ejected, they are replaceable but not soccer. I never understood why.
I think they should implement an orange card for "unsporting behavior". Result is the player has to leave the field and the team can't replace him until 5 minutes after the restart. A team can only replace him if they have a substitution available.
eiggA2002
10:12a, 11/29/23
If they add diving as a "sin" inject it into my veins.
34blast
11:44p, 11/30/23
I wish flopping and acting like you were shot when barely touched becomes a "sin". I love soccer, but get so tired of all the flopping. I wish there would be game reviews and players who flopped would be suspended or have to miss part of the next game.
deadbq03
8:24a, 12/1/23
In reply to 34blast
I agree. There's no reason that top leagues can't have a process for review. Seems like there's got to be a large pool of former officials who simply aren't fit enough to run a game… hire the best of them to review games.

I think a whole game suspension for diving would typically be harsh, but if there were a "sin bin" it'd be a pretty significant consequence if a player was going to have to start their next game on the bench for X minutes.

Honestly, if we move in this direction, I'd like to see nearly all red cards just be an "orange card" or "sin bin" action and then let post-match review decide if there needs to be further bans. IMO only violent conduct or maybe DOGSO deserves a send off.

This would also speed up VAR in red card situations - if VAR can't confirm or deny in 20-30 seconds, then downgrade it to an "orange" and move on. Let the post game review sort it out later.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
9:31a, 12/1/23
In reply to deadbq03
This is an area where soccer should maybe adopt something similar to the basketball rules. We already know that some players get a yellow due to an accumulation of minor fouls. And then some are ejected due to two yellows. Would a "five foul rule" be a viable choice in soccer?

I think soccer would still have to keep the red for an obvious scoring opportunity since there are so few goal opportunities.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
oh no
1:10p, 12/1/23

a "five foul rule"
some of these ideas would only be possible at the highest levels of the sport where the center ref has a VAR or 4th official talking into his ear piece

referees are a part of the game, and their subjectivity in following the laws of the sport are big part of it. A referee's decision on whether and when to caution a player for persistent infringement is decision-making just like all the players' tactical decision-making in-game.

Laws of the sport have to be simple enough that they can be applied at all levels worldwide. If you had a law that 5 fouls = automatic caution for PI, then every ref at every level in every country that doesn't have an ear piece with assistants on the other side to track it for them would have to run around with, and pull out, a notepad or a tablet to mark/track/book every foul he calls for every player on the pitch. Slows the game down and I can't imagine that being practical in a second or third professional tier match or a youth academy match in every country.

in my mind, the idea of a sin bin for PI or DT (dissent) at the referee's discretion to get (or keep) the game under control wouldn't slow down the game or cause extra administrative resources in people, time, and equipment.

so you'd have the same 7 cautionable offenses and the same 7 send-off offenses, just discretion for a short temporary send-off for certain cautionable offenses.

7 cautionable offenses:
UB - unsporting behavior
DT - dissent
PI - persistent infringement
DR - delaying restart
FRD - failure to respect distance
E - entering pitch without referee's permission
L - leaving the pitch without referee's permission

7 send-off offenses - remain red card/ permanent send off:
SFP - serious foul play
VC - violent conduct
S - spitting
DGH - denying obvious goal scoring opportunity by deliberate handling of the ball
DGF - denying obvious goal scoring opportunity by foul
AL - abusive language
2CT - second cautioned offense
jeffk
2:06p, 12/1/23
Yeah, at a certain point you're just complicating the job of the officials for a minimal return. There's no way most three-man crews at levels lower than pro are going to be able to successfully manage a sin bin or keep up with numbers of fouls for every individual on the rosters.
MookieBlaylock
3:11p, 12/1/23
It's super simple

Dives, obstruction "professional fouls are a black card

Player sent off but can be replaced

Or you do the sin bin with a black card
The black + yellow equals red

GAA been doing it for years

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
8:20p, 12/1/23
In reply to oh no
Fair enough but I never intended for the in the field refs to keep record of the fouls. Basketball doesn't do that, so I just assumed that soccer would do the same.
birdman
1:32p, 12/2/23
Sin bin sounds like the want to cut the baby in half.

The problem isn't refs getting abused. The problem is refs are tolerating abuse.

Call the foul. Restart the game. If any players want to argue, shut down the conversation . If they continue, immediate yellow card.
Mathguy64
3:08p, 12/2/23

Fair enough but I never intended for the in the field refs to keep record of the fouls. Basketball doesn't do that, so I just assumed that soccer would do the same.
The referee actually is keeping track of fouls at least roughly. That's how you get to PI.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
3:12p, 12/2/23
In reply to Mathguy64
Correct but that could change if there was some sort of five foul rule. The ref doesn't have to keep the fouls.

This will never happen but it's part of the discussion.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings