World Cup final at Jerry World?
3,730 Views | 58 Replies
oragator
3:07p, 1/18/24
jeffk
3:16p, 1/18/24
Parking going to cost a trillion dollars.
Milwaukees Best Light
4:14p, 1/18/24
At least it won't be at 3 in the morning!

I love the choice. Maybe the new Vegas one would have been better, but this is a great choice. And I hate Dallas.
MookieBlaylock
8:00p, 1/18/24
USA vs France

book it
Furlock Bones
9:48a, 1/19/24
i'm really interested in how stadiums like Jerryworld and NRG keep real turf in good enough condition for the entirety of the tournament. NRG has brought in real grass in the past for 1 off games. but, for those, they don't have to worry about keeping it growing.
bagger05
7:17p, 1/21/24
Quote:

FC Dallas President Dan Hunt, after the tour of AT&T Stadium with FIFA officials, proposed a hosting scenarion where with Globe Life Field and Choctaw Stadium (current and former homes of the Texas Rangers) within walking distance of AT&T Stadium, "you could cordon off this whole area and do a ticketed event of 200,000+ people, something that has never ever been seen at a World Cup, especially a World Cup final before … This would be something that I think would set the record. FIFA wants to continue to innovate. And by doing this, we're doing something that I'm not sure we'll ever be done again."
wangus12
8:51p, 1/21/24
In reply to bagger05
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Dre_00
12:29a, 1/22/24
200,000 cars heading to Jerry World. Going to have to leave downtown Dallas in May to get to the final on time.
jeffk
6:57a, 1/22/24
In reply to Dre_00
And you won't leave the parking lots until September.
wangus12
7:35a, 1/22/24
And that is why I have almost no interest in trying to go to the Final unless the USA is in it. That is going to be such a **** show since there is no form of public transportation to get people out there
Out in Left Field
3:07p, 2/4/24
Final will be in NJ.

Semis in Arlington & Atlanta.

USA will play group stages in LA/Seattle/LA.
Rudyjax
3:13p, 2/4/24
In reply to Out in Left Field
Out in Left Field said:

Final will be in NJ.

Semis in Arlington & Atlanta.

USA will play group stages in LA/Seattle/LA.

Boooooo.

gambochaman
3:14p, 2/4/24
Wtf wasnt it already set to dallas?
Out in Left Field
3:19p, 2/4/24
Better start saving up now! Gonna have to fight celebrities and influencers for tickets.

PatAg
3:20p, 2/4/24
Nope, there were leaks about it potentially being DFW.
I doubt Infantino woud leak it on purpose to entice NY/NJ committee to "do more" to get the Final.
FIFA is an honest organization.
PatAg
3:20p, 2/4/24
In reply to Out in Left Field
Yea, I had hopes of trying to see the US play in person, but zero chance of that now.
Wheatables02
3:32p, 2/4/24
In reply to wangus12
No one going to the final will be using public transportation. Private everything.
CoolAggie
3:37p, 2/4/24
Disappointed that Jerry World won't. Host the final but I couldn't see FIFA choosing NY over DFW. They did throw Jerry a bone by having Arlington host 9 games, including the semifinal.

Massively disappointed about the USMNT being confined to the west coast.
wangus12
3:43p, 2/4/24
In reply to Wheatables02
Wheatables02 said:

No one going to the final will be using public transportation. Private everything.
Exactly. Arlington is already a massive **** show for regular sporting events. Now imagine a WC final.

bagger05
4:03p, 2/4/24
USMNT has two games in LA?

That seems dumb.
bagger05
4:10p, 2/4/24

wangus12
4:18p, 2/4/24
Anybody have any luck pre-registering for tickets. FIFA's site sucks
JJxvi
4:20p, 2/4/24
KC getting a quarterfinal seems dumb. (Would rescind this opinion if its a set up for the US to potentially play there)
jeffk
4:27p, 2/4/24
Should be some great games here in Atlanta even if we don't get a USMNT game.
themissinglink
5:04p, 2/4/24
US soccer is opening a brand new large training facility in Atlanta, 3 times zones away from where they will be playing, just in time for the 2026 World Cup. I assume the initial intention was to use that as the base camp but would now guess it will be in LA or SF.
wangus12
5:07p, 2/4/24
Lavender Gooms
5:41p, 2/4/24
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

Anybody have any luck pre-registering for tickets. FIFA's site sucks

Would it be open yet? I've been planning on 2025 for that stuff to start. I thought it opened up about a year early. At least that's what I remember reading about the 2018 Cup in Russia.

I think I've signed up to be notified by Fifa about tickets, but that's about it.
caleblyn
7:41p, 2/4/24
June 19 - USA in Seattle

How much do you think tickets will go for?
Rudyjax
8:41p, 2/4/24
Not sure LA Seattle LA gives us the home soil advantage.
byfLuger41
8:56p, 2/4/24
The thought of driving to the final seemed awesome, but I guess flying it is.

Bummer about USA staying on the west coast. Will spend my coin on all the games in Houston and Dallas instead, especially that semifinal.
wangus12
9:07p, 2/4/24
In reply to caleblyn
caleblyn said:

June 19 - USA in Seattle

How much do you think tickets will go for?
This is from the initial bid proposal in 2018 that was submitted to FIFA

Now obviously inflation and things will make this higher, but FIFA has always been the ones to set the prices. They've also always made it pretty difficult to resale tickets unless through their own resale site which allowed a 10% mark up I believe.

These were the 2022 ticket prices in Qatar.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1298096/fifa-world-cup-qatar-ticket-prices/

I do think with how big American stadiums are and how many more games there are, getting tickets won't actually be all that crazy except for the USA games and other big big match ups.

JJxvi
9:56p, 2/4/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

Not sure LA Seattle LA gives us the home soil advantage.

The group stage this time will be mostly bull**** compared to what you're thinking. 32 teams advance
wangus12
9:58p, 2/4/24
In reply to JJxvi
That's why I'm not super worried about (at least Group Stage) tickets at AT&T. Its gonna have some really average teams in there. AT&T isn't selling 100k tickets to see Senegal vs. Iceland.
tysker
10:49p, 2/4/24
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

That's why I'm not super worried about (at least Group Stage) tickets at AT&T. Its gonna have some really average teams in there. AT&T isn't selling 100k tickets to see Senegal vs. Iceland.

You could fit over 25% of Icelands population in the stadium
Dre_00
2:26a, 2/5/24
I would not underestimate the demand for group stage tickets...even for Senegal/Iceland.

I'm sure we all know that 1994 World Cup is still the highest attended World Cup ever...both in absolute numbers (3.6 million) and average attendance (69,000). That's despite having less games than every World Cup from 1998 to 2022 (1994 the last World Cup with 24 teams).

In 1994, the group games were largely pointless...or at least as pointless as they will be in 2022 (16 teams out of 24 advanced in 1994). And yet if you look at % capacity, there aren't many games that weren't nearly full relative to capacity. I haven't looked at it with a microscope but the lowest % capacity I could find at a glance was 61,000 who showed up to watch Switzerland/Romania in the group stage in Detroit when the Silverdome held 81,000. 75% capacity and most group games were significantly higher than that.

However...the World Cup is about 100x more popular in the US in 2024 vs. 1994. I would not be surprised to see that the increased interest since 1994 means that Senegal/Iceland is more full than Romania/Switzerland.

Besides...FIFA is usually pretty good at the whole maximizing revenue so they can fill their pockets thing. They aren't putting the World Cup in the US unless they feel they can get full stadiums and extract insane amounts of money. It's possible that maybe a few games aren't near capacity but I wouldn't bet against FIFA and their money making ways.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings