*************************** The Memphis Grizzlies Thread ***************************
49,751 Views | 304 Replies
Iowaggie
10:28p, 1/30/16
Finally, after a hot start, but after giving up a 40 point 4th quarter, the Grizz hold off the past (with Rudy and Kosta) to win.

Sitting 5th place, about halfway between the Clippers at 4 and the Rockets at 7. I think the Kings just lost the opportunity for the Playoffs tonight if Cousins misses time, and I think he will miss the ASG.

Iowaggie
11:00p, 2/1/16
Griz take down Pelicans, and score 100 points again.

This team is pretty good when Jeff Green makes shots and attacks.
Even Vince Carter looked like a previous version of himself, like maybe 2nd year Dallas.
He revved it up a few times on the floor.

Iowaggie
11:02p, 2/5/16
Griz love to keep teams around, and keep them close.

I think Mario Chalmers might be my least favorite Grizzlies player of all time.
Yes, Sasha Vuvacic flopped on Chalmers thrown elbow, clearly holding his eye as he rolled on the floor, but Chalmers still did throw the elbow that hit him in the neck/chin.
Grizzlies are now 30-20 after starting 16-16. Not sure they can beat a top team yet.

But still, a win is a win, especially against the Knicks.

Iowaggie
8:35p, 2/9/16
Marc Gasol out indefinitely with broken foot.

If this were WC of year's past, this would be a non-playoff team.
They have a 4 game lead on the 9th place Blazers for the 8th spot.

30 games remaining, that if they hold 7th or 8th place, mean 4 games in the playoffs against the Warriors/Spurs teams that will not only sweep them, but sweep them with 35 point wins.

Farewell, season.
Iowaggie
7:30p, 2/16/16
Grizzlies stocking up on 2nd rounders, and have now dealt Courtney Lee

Memphis trades Courtney Lee to Charlotte

Memphis Grizzlies General Manager Chris Wallace today announced that the team has acquired four future second round draft picks, center Chris Andersen and forward P.J. Hairston in a three-team trade with the Charlotte Hornets and Miami Heat.
Goldie Wilson
9:24p, 2/16/16
I'm not a Grizzlies fan, but I love this thread. Keep up the good work
Iowaggie
3:06p, 2/18/16
Jeff Green traded for Lance Stephenson (and 2019 1st rounder)

To summarize players I don't like added just this year:
2 Clippers, 2 Heat

Matt Barnes
Mario Chalmers
Chris Anderson
Lance Stephenson
Gigem Trevas
4:20p, 2/18/16
Iowaggie
6:21p, 2/22/16
The goon squad didn't look too bad against Minnesota at times, but still look like 2nd class citizens against decent teams, losing by 13 to Toronto.

On a team that has some somewhat thuglike characters (but in a sweet Grizzly bear type of way), PJ Hairston is my least favorite player.

Birdman has little in the tank.
Stephenson is at least realizing he is playing for a contract.
Hairston is picking up technicals every game.

It is nice to finally get Brandan Wright back. It would have been nice to have him and Gasol together.

Tony Allen is out for a while with his knee again.

Before the trades, I could see Conley sticking around, but I could see him as Knick next year.
Play in the East and the Big Apple
The Knicks future is brighter than what the Grizzlies have going forward.
Iowaggie
8:09a, 2/25/16
Saw very little of last night's game against the Lakers, and I found the end slightly amusing.

Every single player giving Kobe big hugs/props after the game's over, showing their appreciation....not unusual but they play against each other again on Friday.
Iowaggie
4:27p, 2/25/16
Edited to add: Better with music playing

Guitarsoup
4:33p, 2/25/16
Memphis signed Kermit Washington to a 10-day contract.
Iowaggie
1:22p, 2/27/16
In reply to Guitarsoup
quote:
Memphis signed Kermit Washington to a 10-day contract.

Ha Ha, joke's on you...it is Vernon Maxwell we just signed to a 10-day contract.

Actually, the same day you posted that, they did show Rudy T sitting next to Mitch Kupchak while the Lakers were playing the Grizzlies.

Iowaggie
5:44p, 3/1/16
So I finally have a chance to sit and watch part of a game against the Nuggets, and I start watching during the 2nd half, and I think, "Who the hell is out there?" And with Gasol and Tony Allen out with knee injuries (and now Brandan Wright as well), and the trades of CLee and Jeff Green, I saw a lineup of Mario Chalmers (said in a Stephen A Smith voice), PJ Hairston, Lance Stephenson, Matt Barnes, and Birdman. None of those guys were even on the team at this time last year. Only 1 of those guys was on the team at the start of the season, and now this is who is out there? Thankfully, the 3-20 from the 3 point line reassured me that this was the Grizzlies.

Only 2 guys currently play from the 2014 playoff team....2!

Not sure the renewal is worth it.

Iowaggie
5:41p, 3/6/16
How in hell is there only 4 teams in the West better than the Grizzlies?

Grizz 7-3 in last 10, but 0-1 against the 1 playoff team it faced, and 0-2 vs. the Suns.

Another big man got injured (Birdman).

Iowaggie
6:06p, 3/7/16

The starting 5 had never played together
Iowaggie
9:32p, 3/7/16
Finally, the Grizzlies get a win over playoff team!
Starting a lineup that had never played together...amazing.

An amazing, amazing game.
Welcome back Tony Allen, and I am OK if PJ Hairston never plays again.

Iowaggie
7:50p, 3/9/16
And now Chalmers goes down. ...
Achilles or calf?
Let's just call it a season

Iowaggie
8:53p, 3/10/16
Mario Chalmers blew out his achilles last night.

Grizzlies had to waive him in order to get a pg in right away as right now there are no PGs on the team, but rely on Lance Stephenson, PJ Hairston, Tony Allen, and Vince Carter taking turns bringing up the ball like it is some youth basketball team.
Iowaggie
12:26p, 3/11/16
Grizzlies have signed D-Leagure Briante Weber and look to sign more Spurs castoffs, including possibly Ray McCallum and Jeff Ayres.

Iowaggie
10:10p, 3/11/16
Another Grizz game, another starting lineup of guys who have logged 0 minutes together, another injury (Vince Carter), but a win.

Barnes 1st triple double. Stephenson career high.

I'm guessing the Hawks game tomorrow will be ugly, and that injured player exception can't get here fast enough.

Guitarsoup
11:54a, 3/12/16
Found this going through my old pics.

Iowaggie
1:45p, 3/14/16
Great Gay pic.

Thabeet had an actual on court view in that photo, and is standing around doing nothing.

Randolph is mid push off, and Scola is prayerfully wishing every game he played could be against the Grizzlies, because he frequently seemed to go off.
Iowaggie
8:50p, 3/14/16
Gigem Trevas
10:27p, 3/14/16
Good lord.
Iowaggie
12:04a, 3/15/16
I've been saying for a month this doesn't look like a playoff team and I think it is a sad commentary on the state of the league that somehow, this team is still sitting 5th place in the West and 9th in the league (for now).

Of the 9 guys that played tonight, 5 would not be playing on any team or are D-Leaguers.

15 games remaining.

I'm not sure they can win 4 of them.

6 of Spurs, Clippers & Warriors (2 each)
3 of other playoff teams (East or West)

6 versus non-playoff teams (Bucks, Magic, T'Wolves, Suns, Lakers, Nugs).

Maybe 3-3 against that last crew.

If this team doesn't fall to at least 7th place, that means those other teams are messing up.
Iowaggie
12:17a, 3/15/16
To add injury to injury, of the 4 guys that played tonight and had NBA contracts at All-Star break, one of those (PJ Hairston) left the Rockets game with a groin injury.

If they make the playoffs, the Grizzlies will have set a record for most guys (25 and counting) who have played on a playoff team during the season.
Iowaggie
4:59p, 3/16/16
Another injury, another D-League call up, and now I swear the Grizzlies are just making up names on twitter.

Also, excluding Mario Chalmers, the Grizzlies could have 9 guys out tonight with injury.

Iowaggie
1:15a, 3/20/16
Zach Randolph returns to Grizz lineup, picks up first career triple double against the old LA Clippers.
Lance with +27 against his old team. Ray McCullum and Tony Allen combine for 36.

Every win this team gets is an amazing win, and I'm stunned this team still sits halfway between 4th and 6th (4 games). How is that possible?

Chris Paul did have a bad flop tonight, again.

Iowaggie
3:27p, 3/20/16

(in reference to Clips #didntloseby50 tweet)

Also, Grizz sign Jordan Farmer, their 6th signee since March 1
Iowaggie
2:11p, 3/22/16
Jordan Farmar played OK as Grizz finally beat Phoenix. He and Lance Stephenson combined for 21 points in final frame. Most of the credit goes to Tyson Chandler leaving the game with back spasms.

Magic number now 6 to clinch playoffs, 7 to clinch 5th seed, which I doubt will all be wins.

Game Memphis.

Iowaggie
12:23a, 3/23/16
Not sure this team can hold the 5/6 spot if they can't beat the Lakers with the loaded schedule coming up.

And I certainly can't believe I just witnessed Tony Allen going 12-12 shooting.

Iowaggie
9:48p, 3/24/16
Uh-oh, Z-Bo

ZBo accused of beating a woman
Iowaggie
10:34p, 3/27/16
Z-Bo out for another Spurs game tomorrow

9 games remain, with 3.5 game lead on Portland, which I'm not sure they can hold on to unless Portland gives it to them with their own losses.

A messy 3 games (if they beat Dallas) is the magic number to make the playoffs and get executed by Golden State, otherwise 4 games.

I think 5 is the magic number to stay off the Spurs execution line, and stay as at least the 6 seed.

The last 10 for teams 5-9 in the West isn't pretty

Grizz 3-7
Port 5-5
Utah 7-3
Hou 4-6
Dall 2-8

Iowaggie
7:05p, 3/28/16

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back