111,684 Views | 1856 Replies
Guitarsoup
1:24p, 2/9/23
West Texan
1:26p, 2/9/23

Lol
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
1:26p, 2/9/23
For Devonte Graham and 4 seconds . Part of something larger?
Enzo The Baker
1:27p, 2/9/23
In reply to HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
That is wild. The value that front offices put in 2nd rounders is hilarious.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
1:30p, 2/9/23
At this rate, it's going to be a 4 team draft for the next few years, with the occasional "guest star" from another team. Lol
West Texan
1:40p, 2/9/23
Guitarsoup
1:43p, 2/9/23
In reply to HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

For Devonte Graham and 4 seconds . Part of something larger?
Awful. Graham has a terrible contract (12mm next year, 3mm guaranteed of 12mm the following year.

NOLA 2nd rounders could be valuable.

Graham is putting up 5/2 in 15mpg on 36%/ 35% shooting.
superunknown
1:52p, 2/9/23
Remember when they said in the off season that the trade market was broken due to the Gobert and DJM trades? Seems like a lot of pent up trades are all happening today.
Enzo The Baker
1:53p, 2/9/23
Lots of teams see it as being pretty open. Makes sense.
Guitarsoup
2:01p, 2/9/23
In reply to West Texan
West Texan said:

So we turned Jakob and Richardson into:

top-6 protected first (good!)
6 second round picks - great, maybe we hit on one or two for a rotational player

$19mm in additional contracts to two guys that should not be rotational players next year. WTF.

Khem is guaranteed $7mm next year. He is 30 and put up 2 points and 1 rebound this year.
Devonte Graham is about to turn 28. 12.1mm next year and 3mm guaranteed of 12mm the following year. He is a lifetime 37%/35% shooter. He is a backup PG at best.

$19mm guaranteed next year for a guy that probably shouldn't be in the NBA and a backup or 3rd string PG. That's just awful.

Sure, Spurs have max cap room, but they are giving up 1/2 max cap room to those two jokers.

Keldon 20mm
Dougie 13.75
Graham 12.1 (10% of our cap for that spare)
Collins 7.7 (not guaranteed)
Khem 7mm
Vassell 5.8mm
Sochan 5.3mm
Branham 3.1mm
Wesley 2.5mm

Dead:
Dedmon (1.6mm guaranteed)
Primo 4.3mm (you know, because we guaranteed his 2024 season AFTER his therapist complained about him exposing himself)

83.15 + ~10mm for draft pick.

$93.15mm. -7.7 if we cut Collins, which I doubt.

So essentially, Khem, Graham, and Dedmon are dead weight taking up 20mm that we could have given Poeltl in a theoretical 4y20mm contract where we STILL have max salary for a younger player. Or about right for a guy like Kristaps, since realistically, no max player is actually available.

His 47mm in cap space assumes we cut Collins, which I think is doubtful.

I'd rather give up half those seconds and not have Khem or Graham.
Enzo The Baker
2:06p, 2/9/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
What does it matter if we are likely continuing the rebuild as a lottery team next year anyways? What players are out there during free agency these summer that would make us kick ourselves for not having enough cap room to snag?
superunknown
2:06p, 2/9/23
Yeah the Graham and 4 seconds is a puupuu platter. God I hope there's more coming and by that I mean Graham going.
superunknown
2:11p, 2/9/23
In reply to superunknown
Unless we're stockpiling 2nds to sell to late 1st round teams who don't want that pic come draft day and trade back? Thats the hopium/copium I'm cooking up.
Sher Thing
2:18p, 2/9/23
This team is in rebuilding mode. They aren't trying to sign a max free agent this summer lol.

Graham's 2nd year only has like $2.75MM guaranteed or something. He essentially only has one more year left on his deal and is insurance in case Tre leaves in free agency this summer.

Would have been nice if they could have got another first rounder for Richardson but it's been an ongoing debate whether or not he's worth a first, a second, or nothing and they were able to put him in a deal to get four seconds.

Second round picks seems to be the new "cash considerations" this year. Anyhow, they aren't entirely bad considering how many teams have traded for them in recent days. Apparently they have value around the league.

First round picks were really tough to come by.. Utah and SA were the only teams that received a first round pick outside of the Durant trade. And Utah's could easily turn into a second.

Sher Thing
2:22p, 2/9/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

I'd rather give up half those seconds and not have Khem or Graham.
Why? 2nd rounders have proved their worth this cycle as numerous teams have traded for them in the past few days. Who cares if Khem and Graham are on the team? The Spurs aren't trying to open up cap space for a bunch of free agents this year. They are in rebuilding mode and should be trying to stash as much draft capital as possible... firsts or seconds.

If the Spurs somehow hit on Wembanyama then they can re-assess their cap situation and window but even at best, the Spurs only have a 14% chance of that happening.
Sher Thing
2:26p, 2/9/23
In reply to Enzo The Baker
Enzo The Baker said:

That is wild. The value that front offices put in 2nd rounders is hilarious.
55 second round picks were moved at the trade deadline. It wasn't just the Spurs.
superunknown
2:26p, 2/9/23
Brian Wright is all like
Sports-Ag
2:29p, 2/9/23
There has to be a stat of all the draft picks spurs have
Guitarsoup
2:32p, 2/9/23
Enzo The Baker said:

What does it matter if we are likely continuing the rebuild as a lottery team next year anyways? What players are out there during free agency these summer that would make us kick ourselves for not having enough cap room to snag?
Because I think we were in a position to get a top 3 lottery pick, sign a FA, keep Poeltl and immediately push for the playoffs. The West got significantly stronger at the deadline since both LA teams, Phoenix, etc upgrading.

So that is obviously pushed back a year. The concern is how long Keldon, Vassell, etc want to be on a ****ty team before they force their way out.

I guess best case is we just eat the $20mm in contracts this summer that we took to get 7 second round draft picks and hope that we get a #7 pick from the Raptors and #15 from the Hornets in 2024 to go with #1-3 this year and next.

Also, hope we don't eat tens of millions of contracts to get guys that can't even hold Hostile-Aggie's jock.
Guitarsoup
2:40p, 2/9/23
In reply to Sher Thing
Sher Thing said:

This team is in rebuilding mode. They aren't trying to sign a max free agent this summer lol.

Graham's 2nd year only has like $2.75MM guaranteed or something. He essentially only has one more year left on his deal and is insurance in case Tre leaves in free agency this summer.

Would have been nice if they could have got another first rounder for Richardson but it's been an ongoing debate whether or not he's worth a first, a second, or nothing and they were able to put him in a deal to get four seconds.

Second round picks seems to be the new "cash considerations" this year. Anyhow, they aren't entirely bad considering how many teams have traded for them in recent days. Apparently they have value around the league.

First round picks were really tough to come by.. Utah and SA were the only teams that received a first round pick outside of the Durant trade. And Utah's could easily turn into a second.

You land #1 or #2 in this draft, Keep Poeltl and max space looks pretty good.

Poeltl/Collins
Wemby/Sochan/Doug
Keldon/Sochan
Vassell/Branham/Wesley
??? / Tre

+ 35mm in cap space and two 2024 firsts

Alternatively:

Poeltl/Collins
Sochan/Doug
Keldon/Sochan
Cassell/Branham/Wesley
Scoot/Tre

(drop to 3rd and replace Scoot with Amen)

+ 35mm in cap space and two 2024 firsts

Guitarsoup
2:41p, 2/9/23
Ag Natural
3:22p, 2/9/23
There is a salary floor. Plus we probably had to take some of these guys to make the deal work within the rules. Locking in $20million next year seems pretty trivial. There is no max worthy FA coming available anyway. And if we want Peoltl back he'll be on the open market this summer. All these moves literally did nothing but add to the treasure chest of future picks.
Enzo The Baker
3:23p, 2/9/23
In reply to Ag Natural
jteagle
3:30p, 2/9/23
superunknown
3:37p, 2/9/23
Just think there's some 8th grader out there right now (or some 12 year old in Serbia or Senegal, etc) who's going to be drafted in 2029 with those 2nd round picks and he doesn't even know how awesome it is to play in Cedar Park yet.
Sher Thing
3:48p, 2/9/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
I mean it wasn't just the Spurs decision whether or not they could have kept Poeltl. He already turned down the max extension from the Spurs this season which was 4 years $58MM. He wanted a much higher pay day and was going to test free agency this summer. He could have walked for nothing even if the Spurs went higher on their offer.
Guitarsoup
3:54p, 2/9/23
In reply to Sher Thing
Sher Thing said:

I mean it wasn't just the Spurs decision whether or not they could have kept Poeltl. He already turned down the max extension from the Spurs this season which was 4 years $58MM. He wanted a much higher pay day and was going to test free agency this summer. He could have walked for nothing even if the Spurs went higher on their offer.

I'm good with trading him, but I'd rather not take back that stiff.

Jakob is worth more than the max extension we could offer.
Enzo The Baker
4:19p, 2/9/23
Dedmon waived.
Obi Wan Ginobili
4:21p, 2/9/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

To the right team he is, but he's not going to move the needle for too many rosters.

He's kind of the center version of Draymond. Smart, always in the right spot, good passing, yada yada, but all of that is wasted on teams that don't run offenses with a good amount of movement.
FTAG 2000
5:04p, 2/9/23
Enzo The Baker said:

Dedmon waived.

Gotta protect the tank
Guitarsoup
5:07p, 2/9/23
In reply to FTAG 2000
FTAG 2000 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Dedmon waived.

Gotta protect the tank

Should have started him and played him 42mpg then.
Enzo The Baker
5:09p, 2/9/23
In reply to FTAG 2000
FTAG 2000 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Dedmon waived.

Gotta protect the tank

Then time to pick up Bryn.
Ag Natural
5:20p, 2/9/23
In reply to Obi Wan Ginobili
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

To the right team he is, but he's not going to move the needle for too many rosters.

He's kind of the center version of Draymond. Smart, always in the right spot, good passing, yada yada, but all of that is wasted on teams that don't run offenses with a good amount of movement.
I think Jakob is a good enough defender to help a lot of teams. I would bet the Spurs try to get him back this summer at $20million/year or so.
Guitarsoup
5:29p, 2/9/23
In reply to Ag Natural
Ag Natural said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

I think Jakob is a good enough defender to help a lot of teams. I would bet the Spurs try to get him back this summer at $20million/year or so.
That probably depends on where we land in the draft. If we are outside the top 3, we aren't going after Jake.
By picking up Graham and that other stiff, we are pretty clearly planning to tank at least one more year no matter who we get in 23.
West Texan
8:44p, 2/9/23

In case anyone was wondering what the final tally was.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 14 of 54
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings