*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****
111,686 Views | 1856 Replies
Guitarsoup
9:47p, 5/16/23
In reply to Ag Natural
Ag Natural said:

Having Wemby clearly jazzed about the Spurs getting him is awesome. All the Podcasters I listen to can suck it.
Guitarsoup
9:48p, 5/16/23
West Texan
9:50p, 5/16/23
https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba-draft/2023/5/16/23726486/nba-draft-lottery-victor-wembanyama-spurs

Quote:

Instead of slogging through his first few seasons in Houston, Charlotte, or Detroit, Wembanyama gets to spend his formative years as a student under Gregg Popovich, the greatest coach in NBA history.
Guitarsoup
9:53p, 5/16/23
I break into the Wemby Party to bring to you that Ja Morant put out an apology statement by copy and pasting a ChatGPT apology:

West Texan
9:55p, 5/16/23
In reply to West Texan
From the OP

West Texan said:

Race for Seis!

….or the first pick in the draft…

First preseason game is tonight.

Go Spurs Go!

Mission accomplished boys!
LawHall88
10:03p, 5/16/23
Chipotlemonger
10:12p, 5/16/23
Spurs fan checking in. Let's go!!!
Bexar Ag
10:49p, 5/16/23
Wow WHAT A NIGHT.

I had not payed attention very much this last year knowing we were tanking and truly was not getting hyped to watch the draft.

I turned it on and just was hoping we would be in the Top 4. I was stunned (even though we had best draft odds) and was beyond elated when I saw them raise Charlotte for the number 2.

The feeling I have now is like back in 2014 when we won it all.

That being said....

Is Wemby's height a problem for injuries? Is he injury prone?
AggieOO
10:53p, 5/16/23
I'm giddy.
Ag Natural
11:32p, 5/16/23
There's no possible way that Wemby can live up to the hype. But they said the same about Labron. This is going to be fun.
FTAG 2000
11:42p, 5/16/23
50 mil in cap space to go shopping with too. Plus all those picks.

Need a point, maybe a sf addition. And depth.
Chipotlemonger
11:45p, 5/16/23
In reply to Bexar Ag
I'm excited and all, but this is still a blip on the radar compared to that 2014 season.
AggieEP
11:49p, 5/16/23
Time for the GM to get busy figuring out how to best build this team. As far as I'm concerned we have Sochan, Vassell and Wemby now, the goal is to use our assets to find the other 2 guys to start and one needs to be a star.

My dream world is getting Desmond Bane and Tyrese Halliburton on this team somehow.

The other option is to pseudo tank for one more year letting Wemby and Sochan get star level usage rates and then play the lottery one more year before starting to aggressively build towards a championship.
jr15aggie
12:04a, 5/17/23
I'm definitely a fair weather BB fan, but still, some of my favorite sports moments of all time revolve around Robinson, Duncan, Parker & Manu.

Would love to see another Spurs Dynasty start with this lottery win!
Guitarsoup
12:09a, 5/17/23
Our new PF played tonight

Guitarsoup
12:11a, 5/17/23
Guitarsoup
12:14a, 5/17/23
Silent For Too Long
2:23a, 5/17/23
Congrats Spurs fans.

As a lifelong but long disillusioned Rockets fan, I might have new team in Texas to root for in hoops. Moving to New Braunfels next year, so why not
?

Seriously, though. I hope he is as advertised.
Guitarsoup
7:44a, 5/17/23
Even Lil Dick Jefferson had good things to say

Guitarsoup
7:45a, 5/17/23
DTP02
7:49a, 5/17/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

The best comment in that entire segment was the quick aside by Kenny about the NBA not being that physical anymore.

It's a lot easier for a slender guy to make an impact now because it's not nearly as brutal inside as it used to be and you can't get as handsy on the perimeter either.

I think the notion that the Euro leagues are way more finesse than the NBA is a bit outdated.
Guitarsoup
7:58a, 5/17/23
In reply to DTP02
DTP02 said:

Guitarsoup said:

The best comment in that entire segment was the quick aside by Kenny about the NBA not being that physical anymore.

It's a lot easier for a slender guy to make an impact now because it's not nearly as brutal inside as it used to be and you can't get as handsy on the perimeter either.

I think the notion that the Euro leagues are way more finesse than the NBA is a bit outdated.

It's definitely not as physical as what Kenny played in. I think it'll still be more physical than what Victor is used to.

I also think that he is such an important player that he will be protected by the refs from day one, which is something you don't see a lot on rookies.

superunknown
8:10a, 5/17/23
This is awesome

Guitarsoup
8:26a, 5/17/23
I knew that Tony Parker owned Victor's old team, but I didn't realize that Boris Diaw is president of the metropolitans
TexAg1822
8:33a, 5/17/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Even Lil Dick Jefferson had good things to say

Is this a personal vendetta against RJ or did I miss something big he said about the org lol?Thank you for the morning laugh though I did enjoy your caption
jsc8116
8:36a, 5/17/23
Stacked with future 1st round picks as well, obviously can't keep them all, does front office start looking at packaging then in a trade. Obviously depends on Wembys health and progression, but I count 12 1st round picks from '24-'28, which 6 are in 24/25.

https://fanspo.com/nba/teams/Spurs/27/draft-picks
StillNotAnAggie
8:43a, 5/17/23
I'll enjoy a bowl of these to celebrate this morning.
DTP02
8:44a, 5/17/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Our new PF played tonight

Ian Mahinmi doing color.
Bexar Ag
9:03a, 5/17/23

Espresso back on the menu
Enzo The Baker
9:05a, 5/17/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

I knew that Tony Parker owned Victor's old team, but I didn't realize that Boris Diaw is president of the metropolitans

I know there was not foul play but I don't blame others for thinking there was. Meant to be.
superunknown
9:06a, 5/17/23
Someone on the spurs subreddit posted this...you can see the Spurs logo when the Ernst and Young guy is walking to the podium

https://streamable.com/0lj7xj
Guitarsoup
9:15a, 5/17/23
Think Boston would trade us back Derrick White for a first and their swap back?
Sher Thing
9:22a, 5/17/23
More like Jaylen Brown. Rumors are he doesn't want to play in Boston past his contract. Spurs should be active in their pursuit.

Friendly reminder that the Spurs still have 12 first round picks over the next 5 seasons.

Things are shaping up very nicely now that they have their guy to build around. Key for the franchise and fan base will be patience with Wemby and Pop is the master as seeing the big picture.
Guitarsoup
9:25a, 5/17/23
Because the Spurs won the lottery, our 32nd pick dropped to 33 and Houston moved up. But Houston's pick is owed to Indiana if they got 31st or 32nd, so the Pacers get it.
Guitarsoup
9:27a, 5/17/23
In reply to Sher Thing
Sher Thing said:

More like Jaylen Brown. Rumors are he doesn't want to play in Boston past his contract. Spurs should be active in their pursuit.

Friendly reminder that the Spurs still have 12 first round picks over the next 5 seasons.

Things are shaping up very nicely now that they have their guy to build around. Key for the franchise and fan base will be patience with Wemby and Pop is the master as seeing the big picture.

I can't think of any way Boston would trade us Brown. Like Keldon plus 5 firsts might not do it and there is no guarantee he would stay in SA past next year.

What I hear is he wants to be the star of a team, so not sure he wants to go from Tatum's Pippen to Wemby's.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 28 of 54
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings