Is anyone watching the playoffs?
31,294 Views | 450 Replies
Iowaggie
11:02p, 4/30/23
In reply to Head Ninja In Charge
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Steph a top ten player of all-time or no?

Part of the greatness of Steph and Duncan is that I believe they are/were instrumental to maintaining an elite team culture that always allowed their teams to be competitive, often playing for championships.

I do look forward to non-stop ESPN hype of LeBron vs. Steph:what does it mean for their legacy/who impacted basketball more/who is the greatest of this generation coverage.
Guitarsoup
7:45a, 5/1/23
In reply to The Porkchop Express

Quote:

Robertson averaged a triple double one season, led the league in assists 7 ties and in scoring once, but was only 1-1 in the Finals.
He also only won his title by leaving his team to join Kareem later in his career. Despite leading the league in all that, he only was voted MVP once and it was in a very small league for his prime.
Quote:

Shaq was close to unstoppable at his peak, but was never able to fix his glaring weakness at the FT line, or even markedly improve on it except for the outlier 2002/2003 seasons.
Shaq was also not an ideal teammate. Like Iowa said, Steph, like Duncan, set the culture of his team and I think that is important. Steph seems like a great guy on and off the court.

Quote:

Hakeem is my hometown biased choice but has 2 titles and 1 MVP compared to Curry's wealth of riches there.

Hakeem had an elite peak and is an all-time great, but he was also pretty moody early in his career - not always a great teammate.

Quote:

Jerry West was amazing but also just 1 title.
I'm safe with Curry having passed West. His title team had Wilt, Elgin Baylor, Gail Goodrich and Pat Riley. Embarrassment of riches.

Quote:

Durant doesn't belong in the conversation at all. He's Scottie Pippen in terms of clutch performances and heart.
Agree. Durant was a great talent, but is a soulless little man.
QBCade
10:55a, 5/1/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Robertson averaged a triple double one season, led the league in assists 7 ties and in scoring once, but was only 1-1 in the Finals.
He also only won his title by leaving his team to join Kareem later in his career. Despite leading the league in all that, he only was voted MVP once and it was in a very small league for his prime.
Quote:

Shaq was close to unstoppable at his peak, but was never able to fix his glaring weakness at the FT line, or even markedly improve on it except for the outlier 2002/2003 seasons.
Shaq was also not an ideal teammate. Like Iowa said, Steph, like Duncan, set the culture of his team and I think that is important. Steph seems like a great guy on and off the court.

Quote:

Hakeem is my hometown biased choice but has 2 titles and 1 MVP compared to Curry's wealth of riches there.

Hakeem had an elite peak and is an all-time great, but he was also pretty moody early in his career - not always a great teammate.

Quote:

Jerry West was amazing but also just 1 title.
I'm safe with Curry having passed West. His title team had Wilt, Elgin Baylor, Gail Goodrich and Pat Riley. Embarrassment of riches.

Quote:

Durant doesn't belong in the conversation at all. He's Scottie Pippen in terms of clutch performances and heart.
Agree. Durant was a great talent, but is a soulless little man.

The craziest thing to me about Curry is that he's peaking at 35. Usually this is when players have fallen off, but he's better than ever. Just crazy.
NoahAg
5:04p, 5/1/23
Curry benefits greatly from the era he plays in.
Guitarsoup
5:31p, 5/1/23
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

Curry benefits greatly from the era he plays in.
Sure, but you could say that about a ton of the players. Jordan's lack of a great 3pt shot (career .327) would hurt him in this era and because his era didn't value it properly, he benefitted from that. That said, Jordan would have probably put in the work to shoot them better than Curry.

The great players in every era rise up over their peers in that era. I don't think Shaq would be as valuable right now as he was in the 90s and early 00s because he wasn't a great passer and is an awful FT shooter. Shaq benefitted from his era.

Bird's lack of quickness would probably hurt him in today's era, so he benefitted form his era.

Guys like Hakeem and Robinson might be more valuable now than their eras because they were such great passers. But both those guys might be hamstrung by the defensive rules that have been added.

No one was hurt more by their era than Pete Maravich. He'd probably be a top-20 player ever in today's game.
Carlo4
7:05a, 5/2/23
Anyone else find it odd that Denver is halfway to the conference title game when the Lakers/Warriors series hasn't started?
Obi Wan Ginobili
7:38a, 5/2/23
In reply to Carlo4
Carlo4 said:

Anyone else find it odd that Denver is halfway to the conference title game when the Lakers/Warriors series hasn't started?

Math doesn't confuse me like it used to. You'll get there.
WES2006AG
10:08a, 5/2/23
In reply to Carlo4
Carlo4 said:

NBA seems to care more about having a game every night for TV than any sort of schedule that would have the 2 series playing each other next round finish around the same time.
Head Ninja In Charge
11:36a, 5/2/23

AHAHAHAHAHHAHHHHHHAHALASMMMMLLMMMAOOOOOOOOO.
Beat40
11:18p, 5/2/23
I don't know who I want to win this Laker/Warrior match up.

I don't like Draymond at all, but man, the amount of foul calls the Lakers get is infuriating.
Guitarsoup
11:24p, 5/2/23
In reply to Beat40
Beat40 said:

I don't like Draymond at all, but man, the amount of foul calls the Lakers get is infuriating.
I'll cheer for Klay and Curry over Bron and AD any day
Iowaggie
11:27p, 5/2/23
Has this already been mentioned?
The remaining 8 teams:
A #1 (Denver), #2 seed (Boston), #3 (Philly), #4 (Suns), #5 (Knicks), #6 (Warriors), #7 (Lakers), #8 (Miami)
Beat40
11:32p, 5/2/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Beat40 said:

I'll cheer for Klay and Curry over Bron and AD any day

This is how I lean.

Man - I don't know how Steph makes some of the 3s he takes. Sometimes it looks like he has no room to shoot.
Iowaggie
11:39p, 5/2/23
Coby
12:01a, 5/3/23
I'm still confused as to how the Lakers were awarded that timeout.
Guitarsoup
7:13a, 5/3/23
Warriors 6FTA, Lakers 29FTA
Obi Wan Ginobili
7:21a, 5/3/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Warriors take 50+ three pointers and wonder why they don't shoot free throws lmao
QBCade
10:37a, 5/3/23
GSW has to switch up the defense. Way too many layups and FTs for the Lakers.
gigemJTH12
3:01p, 5/3/23
In reply to QBCade
QBCade said:

they dont have the length. and Looney cannot hold a healthy AD
QBCade
3:51p, 5/3/23
In reply to gigemJTH12
gigemJTH12 said:

QBCade said:

they dont have the length. and Looney cannot hold a healthy AD

They'll make some adjustments. Game 2 will look a lot different.
gigemJTH12
4:27p, 5/3/23
In reply to QBCade
It better..they shot 40% from 3 and Lakers shot like 20% I think. Tough to lose that game at home.
QBCade
5:29p, 5/3/23
In reply to gigemJTH12
gigemJTH12 said:

It better..they shot 40% from 3 and Lakers shot like 20% I think. Tough to lose that game at home.

That was the only reason they were still in it. Crazy thing is they were only 40% overall FG %. Lakers had 20pts more at FT line and made same amount of FGs on less shots. Layups/FTs killed GSW.
Iowaggie
6:51p, 5/3/23
In reply to Obi Wan Ginobili
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

Warriors take 50+ three pointers and wonder why they don't shoot free throws lmao

Lakers could be playing the NBA team leader in points in the paint and they would win the FT battle.

(Motivated) Anthony Davis is an amazing defensive player, and really does a great job of blocking shots without fouling. It may require a Draymond kick to AD's nuts to change the course of this series.
LeBron is going to win every block/charge call there is.
Guitarsoup
7:07p, 5/3/23
Golden State losing? Time to call in the secret weapon.

In to guard Anthony Davis:

gigemJTH12
7:25p, 5/3/23
In reply to Iowaggie
Iowaggie said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

Lakers could be playing the NBA team leader in points in the paint and they would win the FT battle.

(Motivated) Anthony Davis is an amazing defensive player, and really does a great job of blocking shots without fouling. It may require a Draymond kick to AD's nuts to change the course of this series.
LeBron is going to win every block/charge call there is.

The funniest thing about people saying Lebron gets a lot of foul calls is you can also count at least 5 calls a game he doesn't get bc he is such a force.

No one's mind is changing on this subject though.
Guitarsoup
8:03a, 5/4/23

Then Playoff James showed up. .

2-12 FG
0-6 3FG

121-87 loss
Tied for 8th highest scorer in the game.
WES2006AG
8:14a, 5/4/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
This post has flared my PTSD. Playoff James always finds his way into the series.
GigEmMortis
8:40a, 5/4/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

2-12 FG
0-6 3FG

121-87 loss
I noticed you were pretty quiet on the Playoff James schtick after Game 1, tho
CFTXAG10
8:49a, 5/4/23
The inconsistency has to be a recurring nightmare for Morey
Guitarsoup
8:51a, 5/4/23
In reply to GigEmMortis
GigEmMortis said:

Guitarsoup said:

2-12 FG
0-6 3FG

121-87 loss
I noticed you were pretty quiet on the Playoff James schtick after Game 1, tho
He had a 40-point game against the Spurs before he put up a 2-11 FG 10 point elimination game and got his **** packed by a 40-year-old Manu to go the **** home.

This is nothing new for Playoff James.
GrayMatter
10:40a, 5/4/23
In reply to QBCade
QBCade said:

NoahAg said:

QBCade said:

Yes. GSW fan here. Agree that the series has been good so far. Warriors have to hold serve now. Crazy team this year with one of the worst road records and one of the best home records.
No offense, but I don't understand how anyone can cheer for GS. Between Kerr and Draymond and Curry's shtick they are so unlikeable. Let me guess, you're a loooong time fan going back to 2013? I really wish someone would go Kermit Washington on Draymond. Insufferable punk.

With all due respect.

Moved to SF Bay Area in 2000, so yes, I'm a longtime fan. Kerr is a good coach, but I don't agree with his politics. Love Curry and Draymond. Draymond is the player you only like if he's on your team. He's a bit of a hot head, but one of the best defenders in the NBA period.
Draymond is not one of the best defenders in the NBA anymore. He doesn't have the wheels to keep up with the younger players anymore.
superunknown
9:16p, 5/4/23
In reply to GrayMatter
If I was a songwriter I'd find a way to fit in Draymond Green and moving screen in a verse, it's close enough to a rhyme.
QBCade
8:35a, 5/5/23
In reply to GrayMatter
GrayMatter said:

QBCade said:

NoahAg said:

QBCade said:

Yes. GSW fan here. Agree that the series has been good so far. Warriors have to hold serve now. Crazy team this year with one of the worst road records and one of the best home records.
No offense, but I don't understand how anyone can cheer for GS. Between Kerr and Draymond and Curry's shtick they are so unlikeable. Let me guess, you're a loooong time fan going back to 2013? I really wish someone would go Kermit Washington on Draymond. Insufferable punk.

With all due respect.

Moved to SF Bay Area in 2000, so yes, I'm a longtime fan. Kerr is a good coach, but I don't agree with his politics. Love Curry and Draymond. Draymond is the player you only like if he's on your team. He's a bit of a hot head, but one of the best defenders in the NBA period.
Draymond is not one of the best defenders in the NBA anymore. He doesn't have the wheels to keep up with the younger players anymore.

Disagree
Enzo The Baker
10:25a, 5/5/23
In reply to QBCade
QBCade said:

GrayMatter said:

QBCade said:

NoahAg said:

QBCade said:

With all due respect.

Disagree

He might not be able to guard 1-5 anymore, but he is still elite at guarding 3-5 when he turns it on in the playoffs.
QBCade
10:32a, 5/5/23
In reply to Enzo The Baker
Enzo The Baker said:

QBCade said:

GrayMatter said:

QBCade said:

NoahAg said:

QBCade said:

With all due respect.

Disagree

He might not be able to guard 1-5 anymore, but he is still elite at guarding 3-5 when he turns it on in the playoffs.

Yep. Dude may not be as athletic as he was 5yrs ago, but he is even smarter wrt defending what the other team is doing.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 13
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings