***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************
178,076 Views | 3299 Replies
Enzo The Baker
3:50p, 8/18/23
In reply to Sher Thing
Sher Thing said:

Actually surprised it's only 19. I guess the NBA learned their lesson from the Zion fiasco when they had like 35 nationally televised games his rookie season or something.

Not complaining though.

They are also front loading a bulk of them in first month. I think 19 is a lot considering where most consider is to be competitively and Pop's history of resting players.
FTAG 2000
12:50p, 8/22/23
Guessing they have discussed it with the Spurs prior to putting it together.

This probably reflects Pop's plans on managing his load.
Guitarsoup
9:19p, 8/29/23
aggieactor01
9:28p, 8/29/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan
9:54p, 8/29/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

superunknown
10:28p, 8/29/23
Maaaaaan, it's in the ether now. Saw someone else say something similar the other day and I snickered to myself and dreamed but didn't think too much of it. Wish I remembered who it was but it was another sorta old school nba beat writer type. That + Sean Deveney saying the same thing means people are talking.

Pop would never ever retire.
Enzo The Baker
10:36p, 8/29/23
In reply to superunknown
superunknown said:

Maaaaaan, it's in the ether now. Saw someone else say something similar the other day and I snickered to myself and dreamed but didn't think too much of it. Wish I remembered who it was but it was another sorta old school nba beat writer type. That + Sean Deveney saying the same thing means people are talking.

Wemby is going to have to show a lot for this to be remotely possible.

Giannis in OKC would be scary.
Guitarsoup
10:49p, 8/29/23
In reply to Enzo The Baker
Enzo The Baker said:

superunknown said:

Wemby is going to have to show a lot for this to be remotely possible.

Giannis in OKC would be scary.
Bertans and Giannis would destroy the league.

Luckily, Frank Madden (Bucks writer) on Nate Duncan's podcast said Giannis will only go where he can win immediately and would rather be driving the offense, but in OKC, SGA would be driving it.
superunknown
10:34a, 8/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Giannis could opt out after 2 more seasons, do we think Wemby grows enough by then for the Spurs to be a championship level contender? He's free and clear after 3 seasons so that gives Wemby more time to simmer a bit. I get a little dizzy at rolling out a front court of Wemby, Sochan and Giannis. Offense flowing through Giannis with an alien as the 2nd option, with that alien and Sochan anchoring the D? I probably need to stop thinking about it.
Enzo The Baker
12:47p, 8/30/23
Wemby seems like a good team guy. But all indications point to him not being a second banana. He wants to be THE guy.
superunknown
7:39p, 8/30/23
No doubt, just thinking out loud, really. If he develops accordingly I don't think there's gonna be an issue trying to pair him up with another top level talent in 3 years or so.
Guitarsoup
8:11p, 8/30/23
Enzo The Baker said:

Wemby seems like a good team guy. But all indications point to him not being a second banana. He wants to be THE guy.
Durant is the guy, but he doesn't create for the whole team as much as someone like Giannis or Jokic.

I don't think it is hard to see Durant and Giannis co-existing on a team.

While Durant is one of the elite iso scorers, also 50% of his career 2P shots are assisted and 70% of his 3p shots are assisted.

I definitely see a path to Giannis, Wemby, Sochan, and Devin coexist.
Enzo The Baker
8:38p, 8/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Durant is the guy, but he doesn't create for the whole team as much as someone like Giannis or Jokic.

While Durant is one of the elite iso scorers, also 50% of his career 2P shots are assisted and 70% of his 3p shots are assisted.

You forgot Cooper Flagg.
Guitarsoup
8:47p, 8/30/23
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

You forgot Cooper Flagg.

That's in two years
This year is Isaiah Collier
Enzo The Baker
9:03p, 8/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
I was looking at two years down the line. Hawks pick.
Guitarsoup
9:40a, 9/2/23
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/jeremy-sochan-interview-victor-wembanyama-gregg-popovich-poland

First impressions of Wemby:
Sochan: I think he is mature for his age. He wants to learn. He reads a lot, which is really cool. He is smart. He knows not to get distracted and that is why he is so good. I love how much he wants it. He's hungry. He wants to win. He's a team player, and he wants to win together. It's super exciting to have the No. 1 pick. It speeds things up. Hopefully, we all stay healthy. We are going to work hard to play as a team, and I think we are going to be pretty good.

How do you fit with Wemby:

Sochan: I think it's going to be scary. Defensively, it's going to be hard to score against us. We are long. We're pesky. Offensively, I'm going to be able to find him, and I think the beautiful thing about it is whoever gets the board, just push it. There is no need to pause after getting the defensive board. The way we want to play is: Whoever gets it, you run. You dribble the ball up. It's going to make everything so much easier. It's going to make it flow more. I think the potential on both sides is endless.

On Pop:

Sochan: I think it's just how cool he is. He's a regular dude who loves basketball and loves to be around people and loves to shed his light on life and the game. A lot of people think he is grumpy and mean and he doesn't like people. But when you're around him, it doesn't seem like that. He's a connector. He's a legend. He just got into the Hall of Fame. He has the most wins and five championships. I think it's a blessing to be around someone like that and learn from him.

How have you improved in the off-season:

Sochan: I think my role might change a little bit. I might be more of a leader. I'll be playing with the ball a bit more and be that playmaker. I'm going to stay aggressive and be ready for more minutes and be ready to get beaten up a little bit.
superunknown
8:52p, 9/4/23
Quote:

There is no need to pause after getting the defensive board. The way we want to play is: Whoever gets it, you run. You dribble the ball up.

Oh man I may have passed out a little reading this. Still a bit light headed.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
12:51p, 9/11/23
Spurs waiving Cam Payne
Enzo The Baker
12:54p, 9/11/23
In reply to HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Spurs waiving Cam Payne

I wonder if this was the plan all along or if it's because he complained about the trade. He would have been a serviceable bench guy for us and could have been a trade piece before the deadline. If the latter, I'm sick of players dictating things.
Guitarsoup
1:17p, 9/11/23
I thought Payne would be an upgrade over Graham as backup PG. Better shooter, scorer, and passer.

I guess Graham's bigger contract was the deciding factor - better for future trading chip. But surprised we didn't try to move Payne. Ending 6.5mm contract for a decent backup PG. I thought we could at least get a 2nd or 2 for him.
Enzo The Baker
1:23p, 9/11/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

I thought Payne would be an upgrade over Graham as backup PG. Better shooter, scorer, and passer.

I guess Graham's bigger contract was the deciding factor - better for future trading chip. But surprised we didn't try to move Payne. Ending 6.5mm contract for a decent backup PG. I thought we could at least get a 2nd or 2 for him.

Why would a higher contract of a lesser player be a better trade chip? For potential salary matching purposes?
Guitarsoup
1:47p, 9/11/23
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Why would a higher contract of a lesser player be a better trade chip? For potential salary matching purposes?
Exactly. With the new salary cap restrictions (everyone has to be within 90% of the cap for the new cap floor), once the season starts, no one will have cap space to absorb a player into.

If a player with a big contract becomes available, we need contracts to move to get them.

Dougie McBuckets: 13.75mm
Graham: 12.1mm
Bullock: 10.5mm
Birch: 7mm
Osman: 6.7mm

That puts us at about 50mm in expirings, other than Graham's 2.1 guarantee the following year, which I don't think teams would really care about. I think it also puts us in the position to facilitate a trade for more draft capital or a player we want because we have more than a max-level salary that is broken up into 5 pieces that can be shuffled around.
Guitarsoup
3:20p, 9/11/23
And… Houston needs a backup pg

Guitarsoup
4:54p, 9/11/23
Hollinger's Spurs preview:

https://theathletic.com/4843368/2023/09/08/spurs-victor-wembanyama-roster-cuts/

TL;DR: Hollinger: I think 30-35 wins is a solid target. The Spurs don't need to rush; they'd be better served adding at least one more high lottery pick around Wembanyama before his talent and development basically make it impossible to be bad. Even without Wembanyama, San Antonio did play at least somewhat respectable basketball at the beginning of last season before injuries and, um, incentives caught up to them.

In the best-case scenario, where everything goes right Wembanyama plays at a high level immediately, Vassell and Johnson continue to progress, injuries are few and the close-game gods are friendly the Spurs could be akin to last year's Jazz. They could hang around on the fringes of the playoff race for half a season before fading out and trading veterans for picks at the deadline.

I don't see any bold moves to take another step forward prior to next summer. The Spurs have draft assets, a hospital-clean cap sheet and time on their side. They need to take a good look at what they have around Wembanyama before moving on to next steps.

---------

He didn't like that we didn't give Reaves a max deal, if for nothing else but to really screw the Lakers in 2 years when they are trying to rebuild, possibly without LebRon and/or AD.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
7:48a, 9/12/23
Somehow the national guys all love Devin Vassell, who is extension eligible and will likely be making at least $25M/year moving forward, but can't understand we didn't try and sign another guy of the same build at the same position for $25M/year.
Guitarsoup
7:53a, 9/12/23
In reply to TheNotoriousP.I.P.
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Somehow the national guys all love Devin Vassell, who is extension eligible and will likely be making at least $25M/year moving forward, but can't understand we didn't try and sign another guy of the same build at the same position for $25M/year.
And a pretty one-dimensional guy at that.

What they really cared about was us making the trade to make a popular team like Miami better.
Ag Natural
11:14a, 9/12/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

What they really cared about was us making the trade to make a popular team like Miami better.
Vassell has excellent shooting numbers and is a high level team defender. I'd put him up there with Mikael Bridges. His issue was he missed a large chunk of last season and played on a bad team. Vassell is a winning player IMO.
Enzo The Baker
11:40a, 9/12/23
In reply to Ag Natural
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Vassell has excellent shooting numbers and is a high level team defender. I'd put him up there with Mikael Bridges. His issue was he missed a large chunk of last season and played on a bad team. Vassell is a winning player IMO.

I think we need to see more of Vassell with Wemby to determine what he is. Agreed on the good shooting in his limited time but his defense, from what it was originally hyped to be, has been pretty underwhelming IMO.

Really curious to see if an extension will be worked out or if he's really going to bet in himself after a year of injuries.

Edit: He's no where close to Bridges. Maybe that's his ceiling but Bridges is a different level on both ends.
Guitarsoup
12:08p, 9/12/23
In reply to Ag Natural
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Yeah, I agree. I was saying that Tyler Herro (player everyone wanted us to take to help out Miami) is one-dimensional and plays the same position as Vassell, only he doesn't offer as much on offense (worse mid-range, I don't think he is as good as a creator, even at best) and is a huge liability defensively.

I don't think he is up there with bridges, but I think he could be at some point. Bridges is also 4 years older than Devin.
Ag Natural
4:52p, 9/12/23
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I think we need to see more of Vassell with Wemby to determine what he is. Agreed on the good shooting in his limited time but his defense, from what it was originally hyped to be, has been pretty underwhelming IMO.

Really curious to see if an extension will be worked out or if he's really going to bet in himself after a year of injuries.

Edit: He's no where close to Bridges. Maybe that's his ceiling but Bridges is a different level on both ends.
No where close? He grades out VERY well as a help defender. Vassel's issues have been he's not going to lock down smaller, quicker guys.. AND his team has been terrible as a group. Plug him into a solid team and I promise you he's an asset. Bridges signed for 4 years/90 million. I bet the Spurs would happily give that the Devin. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him have a big season.
Guitarsoup
8:49a, 9/13/23
Giannis on Wembanyama: "His talent is out of this world… He doesn't have to put on weight fast, I didn't… hope he can lead San Antonio, which is a great org, to more championships."

Giannis to San Antonio confirmed
West Texan
12:47p, 9/13/23
Ag Natural
1:11p, 9/13/23
Why is everyone assuming that the Spurs plan to rest Wemby heavily? They really haven't rested healthy young players at all. The old load management stuff was for the stars who were up in age.
LawHall88
8:12p, 9/13/23
Any way the Spurs can make this work? Get more draft capital, move one contract (they need to get rid of two) for the honor of cutting Porter?
Enzo The Baker
11:08p, 9/13/23
In reply to LawHall88
LawHall88 said:

Any way the Spurs can make this work? Get more draft capital, move one contract (they need to get rid of two) for the honor of cutting Porter?

Given what they went through with Primo, I think it's unlikely they explore capitalizing off of this situation, even if they just waive him after. Spurs shouldn't get anywhere near this mess.

Edit: He's guaranteed $15.6MM next year with a partial guarantee the following. No way we would attempt to do a buyout discussion with that piece of garbage.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 10 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings