***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************
186,573 Views | 3387 Replies
phatbc
12:50p, 11/3/23
Nm what I said earlier. This team is perfect.

Also, I like Tre running the point.
Ag Natural
1:01p, 11/3/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Injuries are the only thing that can block this upward trajectory. I also think bigger more physical teams will give Vic more problems. The Suns are pretty small overall. Luckily there aren't many really big teams in the league right now.
Garnett, Pierce, Barkley, and Shaq have all talked about how teams just won't get away with shoving Wemby around and being overly physical like they would 20 or 30 years ago.

Just going through the west:

- Mavs - Lively. He's gonna be solid, but not sure yet if he will be super physical down low. Also Grant Williams is physical, but a full foot shorter than Wemby.
- GSW - Looney and Draymond, but Draymond is getting really old and GSW as a whole is clearly making one last hurrah this year.
- Nuggets - Joker is the best player in the NBA and he's huge. But I think they put MPJ and Gordon on Wemby more. They have the size and strength to destroy us like they are destroying everyone else.
- Pellies - Zion and Jonas (final year on contract) are big, but Herbert Jones would be the one guarding Wemby. I like a lot of their team, but as long as Zion doesn't care about basketball, his weight or staying healthy, I am not worried here.
- OKC - they have Chet, but he's Wemby's *****. More worried about SGA, Wallace, and Giddey than their bigs. Going to be a great rivalry, but we need to get someone at point to go up against them.
- Lakers - Anthony Davis will be a menace for Wemby - if he guards Wemby. LeBron can opt out. Rui is playing under 15mpg. Lakers will always be able to reload, but with Davis injury history and LBJ possibly leaving to play with Bronny, who knows what happens after this year. Also, Reaves is shooting 34%/21% this year
- Clippers - Zubac is a good rim protector and rebounder, but he can't leave the paint. They would likely put Kawhi on Wemby, assuming Kawhi is healthy, which is a big assumption. I think this team falls apart now that Captain "I am the system" is there.
- TPup - KAT doesn't play defense and Gobert is exposed if he s anywhere but at the rim. Teams hunt Gobert and Wemby was smoking him at 16yo.
- Kings - Sabonis is not a good defender. So Harrison Barnes? Keegan Murray?
- Suns - small ball team like OKC. Nurkic is their top rebounder and Devin Booker is #2.
- Grizzlies - Steven Adams is out for the year and I think Brandon Clarke is as well. Some guy named Xavier Tillman is starting center. JJJ will give Wemby some problems, but right now, this isn't a team to worry about. Can reevaluate after they get back Ja Morant and Adams.
I'm not really concerned with traditional front court size. It's more of the big burly and experienced rosters that are going to figure out how to bait Wemby into fouls and consistently move him off his spots. The Clippers did it pretty effectively. I could see the Lakers, Nuggets, Heat and Knicks having some success. It will really be interesting to see how Wemby and this young team respond to challenges like that.
Enzo The Baker
1:16p, 11/3/23
New Lowe Post episode on Wemby out. He becomes speechless at times trying to articulate what he saw with Wemby last night.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lowe-post/id986595124?i=1000633619302
superunknown
1:44p, 11/3/23
In reply to Ag Natural
I think as soon as Wemby gets the ball in the high or low post, there needs to be absolute chaos with cutters and off ball screens to get someone open. Let that 19 year old lighthouse with the ball just find an open guy. We're on the verge of a beautiful-er game before too long, it feels. When Zack and Sochan level up their passing game (Zack was on one last night) even if they just get to Dollar General Boris Diaw level, it's gonna be sick.
Enzo The Baker
1:03p, 11/4/23
Dev is day to day! Likely to miss tomorrows game but could play Monday.
Guitarsoup
3:35p, 11/5/23
My friend Mark Rebilas shot this and it's just hilarious.
FTAG 2000
5:08p, 11/5/23
So is Wemby going to get a touch in overtime or the rest of these clowns gonna brick and turnover their way to a loss?
FTAG 2000
5:09p, 11/5/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

My friend Mark Rebilas shot this and it's just hilarious.

Especially with a booker *****ing to the refs
Sports-Ag
5:09p, 11/5/23
Exactly, give the ball to Wemby!
LawHall88
5:10p, 11/5/23
Let's call this a learning experience. Wemby hardly touched the ball the second half; still, the Spurs complete inability to get stops in the 4th was the bigger problem.
Sports-Ag
5:13p, 11/5/23
So many open 3 pointers by Raptors. Defend the 3 Spurs. Will call it a learning experience but shows how much Devin is vital to the team.
Sports-Ag
5:17p, 11/5/23
So far Osman has been good for the Spurs. Would have been nice for him to have some shots but got to give Wemby more touches in the second half.
Enzo The Baker
5:22p, 11/5/23
Another game where we don't hold on to a big lead. We really struggle with the bigger physical teams. Same thing happened against LAC. Crappy way to end a game where we have to fly to Indy right after. They'll learn from it. And it helps with a 1st rounder conveyance of the raptors pick.
Guitarsoup
5:39p, 11/5/23
So Tre Jones + Wemby on the court together are +54 on the season.

Tre is actually top 20 in assists at 6.2 in just 26mpg.

Looking at the players above him:

Tyrese Halliburton - untouchable
Trae Young - we wouldn't want the worst defensive player in the NBA
Luka - untouchable
Dennis Schroder - Is 30yo, and not convinced he is a big upgrade over Tre.
Chris Paul - 34% FG%, 4.8% from three. End of the road.
FVV -We won't want a 30yo guy putting up 37%/36% shooting
LaMelo - shooting 29.7%/27% this year. Pretty sure Charlotte's new owners would want a ton for their own star player, even if he hits under 1/3rd of his shots.
Joker. Untouchable.
Cade Cunningham - untouchable.
Jamal Murray - Don't think Denver wants to break up the best team in the NBA for a few picks.
Ben Simmons - This is interesting. He is putting up 7 points, 7 assists, 10 rebounds this year. Our cap space is set up for 2025, and Simmons fits in with that. He makes 40mm next year. But is he too much of a offensive liability/headcase to want to work? You could make a trade based around Doug and Graham and make it work pretty easily. And he is off the books in 2025, when we are expected to have space (Devin 27M, Collins 18M, Keldon 17.5m, Wemby 13.4M, Sochan 7M, Branham 5M, Wesley 4.7M - and Sochan, Branham, Wesley are ungaranteed.)
Westbrook - pass, despite his ridiculous numbers this year - .516 FG and .389 3pt.
SGA - Untouchable
Tyrese Maxey - All offense, no defense, Philly is building around him. Unless he wants to sign as a FA, he's staying in Philly
DLo - All O, no D.
LeBron - LePass - I don't think he could make his game about feeding a better player. And we alraedy have the better player.
Embiid - Staying in Philly or the Knicks give up everything
TRE JONES!!!
DeJounte Murray. Already signed an extension.
Sengun - Not interested
THT. You could have given me ten guesses on who led Utah in assists and I wouldn't have gotten THT.
Scottie Barnes - the reason that Pascal is getting traded this year
Dinwiddie - I think either he or Simmons gets traded
Sabonis - pass
CJ McCollum - NOLA needs a PG worse than we do. CJ ain't it.
Tyus Jones - Tre's bro in Washington. We already have the better one.
Paolo - untouchable
Marcus Smart. He's 29, is declining and Memphis just gave up two firsts and Tyus for him.
Donovan Mitchell. He's not a PG and he wants to play for the Knicks. I'd love to have Darius Garland, who is hurt.
Brogdon - I think he's perfect as what Boston used him for - off bench sparkplug for a playoff team. Needs to get flipped from Portland. Not interested.

After that, we are in the Sochan territory. Above are the top 30 players.

Basically, there are guys that we would love, but aren't touchable (SGA, Halliburton, Murray) complete defensive sieves (Trae Young, Maxey, DLo) or guys that would be questionable to say the least (old ass players, players with no offense, Ben Simmons.)

Maybe could be talked into Ben Simmons, if for no other reason than the defensive alignment when we played big with him, Wemby, Collins, and Sochan and literally anyone else would be incredible without screwing up our 2025 cap space. But then there is always the chance he decides to completely destroy all team chemistry and convince Wemby to take a year off the NBA to smoke pot with Ricky Williams or something.
Sher Thing
5:51p, 11/5/23
PG play is a problem. Tre was terrible today and Sochan is clearly not a PG. Vassell being out just magnifies this. Don't really expect it to be addressed this season though.
Guitarsoup
5:52p, 11/5/23
In reply to Sher Thing
Sher Thing said:

PG play is a problem. Tre was terrible today and Sochan is clearly not a PG. Vassell being out just magnifies this. Don't really expect it to be addressed this season though.
Yeah, probably not. I think they are gong after 2024 draft PGs. Headlined with Nikola Topic, Collier and Proctor, Spurs are almost guaranteed to get one.
Ag Natural
7:42p, 11/5/23
PG play was not the reason we lost today. Toronto bullied our big guys and their wings got really hot from the outside. Poeltl was absolutely abusing Collins and Bassey.
Guitarsoup
8:30p, 11/5/23
In reply to Ag Natural
Ag Natural said:

PG play was not the reason we lost today. Toronto bullied our big guys and their wings got really hot from the outside. Poeltl was absolutely abusing Collins and Bassey.
PG play is probably the main difference in this being a lottery and a playoff team. And we still might sneak into the playoffs.

Upgrading Collins+Bassey and Keldon's (or other big wing defense) is the final piece in changing this from a tanking team to a championship contending team.
Ag Natural
10:21p, 11/5/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

PG play is probably the main difference in this being a lottery and a playoff team. And we still might sneak into the playoffs.

Upgrading Collins+Bassey and Keldon's (or other big wing defense) is the final piece in changing this from a tanking team to a championship contending team.

I hope they don't get too fixated on a PG. A ball handler playmaker at any position would be nice as long as they can defend.
Guitarsoup
10:56p, 11/5/23
In reply to Ag Natural
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

I hope they don't get too fixated on a PG. A ball handler playmaker at any position would be nice as long as they can defend.
Yeah, I don't think Pop cares about the position as much as the skill and matchups. For the future, we have to think about matching up with Murray and SGA/Giddey/Wallace and maybe Fox or Ja to get out of the west.
All I do is Nguyen
6:21a, 11/6/23
The thing that blows my mind is how Wemby didn't get hardly any touches late game. He's already shown to have the clutch gene
No matter what
Sports-Ag
7:22a, 11/6/23
A friend and I were talking about with Devin being out we thought Wemby would have more touches and at least 25 points or over.
jsc8116
9:24a, 11/6/23
Look at the bright side... w/ Toronto winning we improve the odds of getting their 1st round pick this year, remember it is protected 1-6....
FTAG 2000
12:15p, 11/6/23
In reply to All I do is Nguyen
All I do is Nguyen said:

The thing that blows my mind is how Wemby didn't get hardly any touches late game. He's already shown to have the clutch gene

Keldon doesn't look for anyone down the stretch if he gets it. He's a black hole on offense.

superunknown
1:32p, 11/6/23

Hate that I missed the game yesterday but this looks fun
DTP02
1:54p, 11/6/23
In reply to superunknown
superunknown said:

Hate that I missed the game yesterday but this looks fun

And every time that happens, for every shooter who sees it, whether it was their shot or not, it gets in the their heads a bit. Now when they're on the floor they're more likely to rush their shot or put a little more arc on it, bringing their %s down.
All I do is Nguyen
4:45p, 11/6/23
No matter what
LawHall88
6:37p, 11/6/23
Apparently getting the ball to Wemby on offense is impossibly hard.
Sports-Ag
6:59p, 11/6/23
Pacers running a clinic. So many 3 pointers they have made. Maybe try posting Wemby in the paint Spurs.
superunknown
7:13p, 11/6/23
Well, that was 1 half of a basketball game that's all I know.
All I do is Nguyen
7:47p, 11/6/23
What's funny is that score at halftime twenty years ago would be for a total game
No matter what
Enzo The Baker
8:11p, 11/6/23
Welp that's a schedule loss if I've ever seen one.
Guitarsoup
9:03p, 11/6/23
Cappo
8:21p, 11/7/23
I'd like to see Wemby get the rock and play some ball
Guitarsoup
8:23p, 11/7/23
In reply to LawHall88
LawHall88 said:

Apparently getting the ball to Wemby on offense is impossibly hard.
Hear me out: having a starting point guard would make it easier to get the ball to your best players in a favorable situation.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 24 of 97
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings