NBA going streaming?

1,102 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by J.P. 03
Dan Scott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

MookieBlaylock
AG
poor ratings and a terrible product - shocker

with reduced revenue the first thing to go will be the WNBA
Iowaggie
AG
ESPN and TNT still have the right to match outside bids. That may be enough to keep the NBA off of NBC, but if Apple or Amazon or even Netflix want some streaming deal, they will get it. Netflix offers the best opportunity to go bigger internationally.

I could see Netflix or a tech company landing the in-season tournament or possibly play-in games. I think that ESPN and TNT will keep coverage but the NBA will want the Amazon/Apple money too.

The wildcard is Diamond Sport Group/Bally's/Sinclair is still kicking and is closer to exiting bankruptcy. Amazon has a stake in DSG now. The NBA might be able to get some or all of their rights back after these playoffs.

There is a court hearing on June 18th in Houston that could impact MLB and NBA regional network deals.

superunknown
AG
You're in general agreement with this recap from awful announcing. I too think Silver is going to split some stuff up and it won't be "just" Disney/WBD on it. I think Disney/WBD will have reduced packages and NBC gets in on it too, plus the streaming wildcards get a chunk of something too.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/handicapping-media-rights-race.html
Iowaggie
AG
NBC going in with a potential offer of $2.5 billion for the NBA package.

It appears that Amazon probably has one package that includes playoff games, ABC/ESPN has another package that has the NBA Finals, and the third package is either going to be NBC or TNT/WBD.
superunknown
AG
The Amazon getting some conference final games is mind blowing. I'm guessing it'll be like games 1&2 with the rest of them OTA or OTT. I know someone w/Amazon that was part of their NFL launch and I'm dying to ask her about it but she's a bit touchy plus she's also pregnant from what I hear so she likely has no time for my nonsense.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Iowaggie said:

It appears that Amazon probably has one package that includes playoff games, ABC/ESPN has another package that has the NBA Finals, and the third package is either going to be NBC or TNT/WBD.

Part of me is nostalgic for the nba to be back nbc. But I hope Ernie's group finds a way to survive.
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Iowaggie said:

Part of me is nostalgic for the nba to be back nbc. But I hope Ernie's group finds a way to survive.

Been thinking that too. If NBCU blocks out WBD...where does that leave "TNT Sports"? Ffs please bring Ernie and the group over to NBC. Even if you have "Inside the NBA" just on Peacock, ya know?

If I'm NBCU I know they're not going to show the banter before and after and full on games OTA during the weekk...I could see Sat/Sun on NBC and everything else (till the playoffs, really) on USA, including my favorite all time sports studio show.
Dan Scott
AG
I grew up with the NBA on NBC Saturdays and Sundays and NBA On TNT/TBS Tuesday Wednesday Friday.

Let's get back to that.
Iowaggie
AG
superunknown said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Iowaggie said:

Been thinking that too. If NBCU blocks out WBD...where does that leave "TNT Sports"? Ffs please bring Ernie and the group over to NBC. Even if you have "Inside the NBA" just on Peacock, ya know?

If I'm NBCU I know they're not going to show the banter before and after and full on games OTA during the weekk...I could see Sat/Sun on NBC and everything else (till the playoffs, really) on USA, including my favorite all time sports studio show.
My guess is that the TNT show moves to either NBCU/Peacock or to Amazon, and will continue to do well.

Given Amazon went big with Al Michaels and Kirk Hirbstreit for the NFL games, I'm guessing they would do something similar with the NBA.

All those otherstudio shows could learn from TNT is that you have to give them time to talk about the game, and 4 is the maximum number of people to have in a studio show. If there is less time, there needs to be fewer people. The NFL is the worst offender of the too many mouths syndrome.

For announcing crews, any of the TNT PxP guys would be fine: Kevin Harlan, Ian Eagle or Brian Anderson.
For color, I'd prefer going out and get the available Jeff V Gundy and I'm not sure who next. Maybe Greg Anthony
Enzo The Baker
AG
I always thought Harlan was a Marv Albert impersonator. He'd be perfect for NBC.
superunknown
AG
Yeah I think Amazon will go big. With basketball and their (Amazon's) limited schedule they can get a big name guy to double dip and most of the known lead PxP guys also do a local team anyway outside the national cable broadcasts. I love TNTs PxP guys (all them are good and I really like Harlan) but I also wouldn't hate seeing Gus Johnson call NBA games again.
J.P. 03
AG
If it means we're getting this back, I'm all for the return of the NBA to NBC:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.