Farmer1906
1:17p, 3/26/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Mariners pitching, starters and pen, is going to be salty
But trying to win every game 2-1 isnt a realistic strategy for success.

This is a little too much exaggeration.

The were 11th in runs, 10th in Offensive WAR, & 9th in wRC+. There offense wasn't terrible. We'll see how the changes play out.
SEA was a .500 team (literally .500 on the nose) until July 25 when they went on a 27-7 run. That coincided when their schedule got stupidly easy and J-Rod when on his world class heater. Once the schedule turned and he cooled off (and IIRC he went on the IL?) they played the rest of the season under .500.

They beat the dog poop out of bad teams.
But those count the same as beating the poop out of good teams.
Mathguy64
1:21p, 3/26/24
In reply to Farmer1906
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Mariners pitching, starters and pen, is going to be salty
But trying to win every game 2-1 isnt a realistic strategy for success.

This is a little too much exaggeration.

The were 11th in runs, 10th in Offensive WAR, & 9th in wRC+. There offense wasn't terrible. We'll see how the changes play out.
SEA was a .500 team (literally .500 on the nose) until July 25 when they went on a 27-7 run. That coincided when their schedule got stupidly easy and J-Rod when on his world class heater. Once the schedule turned and he cooled off (and IIRC he went on the IL?) they played the rest of the season under .500.

They beat the dog poop out of bad teams.
But those count the same as beating the poop out of good teams.
No doubt they count the same in the W/L column. But if you kill those teams offensively it inflates your offensive numbers. And I suggest that their roughly 10th place offensive standing was closer to 15th.

They added Polanco, but lost Suarez and a couple of OFers. They also lost their primary DH's from last year. I think they step back a bit offensively. Fangraphs fWAR goes from 26.2 back to 25. Not a lot but a bit.
AgRyan04
1:31p, 3/26/24
If you exclude the games against bad teams from anyone's schedule, wouldn't you expect their winning percentage go down?

It's all about timing
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
texasaggie2015
2:19p, 3/26/24
Almost 48 hours
EastCoastAgNc
2:53p, 3/26/24
EastCoastAgNc
2:54p, 3/26/24
tjack16
3:02p, 3/26/24
In reply to EastCoastAgNc
EastCoastAgNc said:

I'm very okay with giving him more time to come back. No rush on JV returning for me
EastCoastAgNc
3:18p, 3/26/24
Farmer1906
3:35p, 3/26/24
EastCoastAgNc said:

SL stacking their LHH to knock Blanco out. Savages. They want the sweep!
Wabs
4:49p, 3/26/24
I guess Espada is going to roll with Yordan in the 2-hole to start the season, Really wish it was Altuve, Tuck, then Yordan. But we'll see how this works.
Farmer1906
4:56p, 3/26/24
In reply to Wabs
Wabs said:

I guess Espada is going to roll with Yordan in the 2-hole to start the season, Really wish it was Altuve, Tuck, then Yordan. But we'll see how this works.

I disagree, but regardless either 1-2-3 is better than ones that involve Dubon or Pena. What a wild time that was when so many agreed with Dusty.
Wabs
5:01p, 3/26/24
In reply to Farmer1906
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

I disagree, but regardless either 1-2-3 is better than ones that involve Dubon or Pena. What a wild time that was when so many agreed with Dusty.
Yeah, I'm nit-picking. Certainly agree that its better than what we saw for the first half of last season....
Beat40
5:42p, 3/26/24
In reply to Wabs
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Yeah, I'm nit-picking. Certainly agree that its better than what we saw for the first half of last season....
The reason is analytically driven. Based on analytics, over the course of the season, the 2-hole gets the most ABs of anyone in the order. As a result, the data suggests putting your best hitter there. It's why Ohtani and Judge are also in the 2-hole. I believe it's the right decision.
Mathguy64
6:00p, 3/26/24
In reply to Beat40
Beat40 said:

Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

The reason is analytically driven. Based on analytics, over the course of the season, the 2-hole gets the most ABs of anyone in the order. As a result, the data suggests putting your best hitter there. It's why Ohtani and Judge are also in the 2-hole. I believe it's the right decision.
I'm not disagreeing with putting your best hitter in the 2 hole, but the only way the 2 hole gets more ABs is if the lead off spot is getting walked more often. It's physically impossible for the 2 hole to get more PAs than the lead off spot.
Proudag06
6:16p, 3/26/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Beat40 said:

Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

I'm not disagreeing with putting your best hitter in the 2 hole, but the only way the 2 hole gets more ABs is if the lead off spot is getting walked more often. It's physically impossible for the 2 hole to get more PAs than the lead off spot.

Username checks
bearkatag15
7:12p, 3/26/24
The pitch type was added to the broadcast on SCHN
EastCoastAgNc
7:17p, 3/26/24
Watching on MLB.tv, there is a commercial for some architecture firm that plays rotated 90 degrees clockwise on the screen, in portrait mode. Have to lay on your side to see what's happening. You would think they would fix that, but it's been that way all spring training.
bearkatag15
7:19p, 3/26/24
Yordan's eye is in mid season form
EastCoastAgNc
7:23p, 3/26/24
Home offensive curse is alive and well. Everyone panic. We can't hit this scrub from AAA
texasaggie2015
7:31p, 3/26/24
In reply to Wabs
Wabs said:

Strongly disagree here.
EastCoastAgNc
7:32p, 3/26/24
EastCoastAgNc
7:33p, 3/26/24
bearkatag15
7:36p, 3/26/24
Bregman took France deep
Mathguy64
7:39p, 3/26/24
EastCoastAgNc said:

So Roberts told Boyers to call the debt home.
bearkatag15
7:45p, 3/26/24

Ag_07
7:52p, 3/26/24
The Space Cowboys unis are sweet!
Farmer1906
7:53p, 3/26/24
NL West dominated the offseason.
cc10106
7:57p, 3/26/24
What are you doing, J.P.? Try not to hit your teammates.
EastCoastAgNc
7:57p, 3/26/24
In reply to cc10106
cc10106 said:

What are you doing, J.P.? Try not to hit your teammates.

Now yordan getting his hands checked
EastCoastAgNc
7:59p, 3/26/24
In reply to bearkatag15
bearkatag15 said:

We could have done that deal
Wabs
8:04p, 3/26/24
Man, that seems like a really good deal for the Dbacks. Wish we could have got him for that.
Mathguy64
8:05p, 3/26/24
In reply to bearkatag15
bearkatag15 said:

So another 1 year deal. Boras lost this offseason in a big way.
Ag_07
8:06p, 3/26/24
I'm thinking they just really don't like what they see and there's a good reason why we passed on him.

I'm gonna trust our talent evaluators. They just didn't ever seem to be interested in Monty. I haven't seen anything that they even kicked the tires on him.
EastCoastAgNc
8:08p, 3/26/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

bearkatag15 said:

So another 1 year deal. Boras lost this offseason in a big way.

These guys nailed it a few weeks ago
MAROON
8:13p, 3/26/24
2 years $50 mil with an opt out is what I'm seeing. So basically a one year deal
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 320 of 322
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings