Fubo or Directv Stream (astros/aggies)
3,220 Views | 29 Replies
AustinCountyAg
11:13a, 2/6/24
Time for my annual switch from YTTV to one of the two options in the thread title since they carry Astros games. Curious for those who have/had either which is currently the best and cheapest? IIRC after tax/regional sports fees and the "elite" package the fubo price was something like $113 ish?

For those with Directv Stream curious what the actual price is all said and done? Also appears DTV Stream carries TBS and TNT?
WES2006AG
11:46a, 2/6/24
I just switched from Uverse to DirecTV Stream. It is going to be $108 before taxes and they gave me $25 off for either 2 or 3 months and a $200 gift card for switching.

Coming from Uverse the picture quality on DirecTV Steam is a big upgrade and the user interface is pretty smooth. I believe they give you 5 days to cancel if you try it and don't like it.
bearkatag15
1:55p, 2/6/24
In reply to WES2006AG
WES2006AG said:

I just switched from Uverse to DirecTV Stream. It is going to be $108 before taxes and they gave me $25 off for either 2 or 3 months and a $200 gift card for switching.

Coming from Uverse the picture quality on DirecTV Steam is a big upgrade and the user interface is pretty smooth. I believe they give you 5 days to cancel if you try it and don't like it.
How much is your internet bill and for how much Mbps, if you don't mind me asking?
WES2006AG
2:14p, 2/6/24
In reply to bearkatag15
bearkatag15 said:

WES2006AG said:

How much is your internet bill and for how much Mbps, if you don't mind me asking?
I think it is $65 for 500GB with AT&T
GoodBullShark
2:56p, 2/6/24
DirectTV Stream.
htxag09
9:25a, 2/7/24
In reply to WES2006AG
Wait, just direct tv stream is $108 + taxes or that bundled with internet?
WES2006AG
9:55a, 2/7/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

just the TV. I believe that is the cheapest option that includes Space City Home Network.
htxag09
10:17a, 2/7/24
In reply to WES2006AG
WES2006AG said:

htxag09 said:

just the TV. I believe that is the cheapest option that includes Space City Home Network.
Dang.....didn't realize streaming platforms got that expensive. Is Fubo the same?

I was getting upset with my Xfinity cable and internet going to $120....
WES2006AG
10:45a, 2/7/24
In reply to htxag09
htxag09 said:

WES2006AG said:

htxag09 said:

Dang.....didn't realize streaming platforms got that expensive. Is Fubo the same?

Yea it has all gotten out of hand. My Uverse plus internet went up to $220 a month and because Uverse is an older service that they are trying to move people off of they were unwilling to make any deals at all which is what prompted me to go this route. Everything would be a lot cheaper if I didn't care so much about local sports.
AustinCountyAg
10:47a, 2/7/24
In reply to WES2006AG
WES2006AG said:

htxag09 said:

WES2006AG said:

htxag09 said:

Yea it has all gotten out of hand. My Uverse plus internet went up to $220 a month and because Uverse is an older service that they are trying to move people off of they were unwilling to make any deals at all which is what prompted me to go this route. Everything would be a lot cheaper if I didn't care so much about local sports.
I feel you. I dropped Directv and ATT internet a couple years ago because it got too expensive. Now, I am paying more than I did back then.
htxag09
10:48a, 2/7/24
In reply to WES2006AG
Yeah, I had UVerse for 10+ years. Them getting rid of it and refusing to deal anymore is why I switched to Xfinity a couple years ago. Which also caused me to switch my mobile...
CFTXAG10
4:02p, 2/8/24
Really wish YTTV would get SCN, at least as an add-on option. All my streaming problems will be solved.
AustinCountyAg
8:48a, 2/12/24
In reply to WES2006AG
WES2006AG said:

htxag09 said:

what is your final price with taxes included for your directv stream if you dont mind me asking?
WES2006AG
9:20a, 2/12/24
In reply to AustinCountyAg
I have only gotten 2 bills and they were both with a $25 off credit. They were both $90.
Booma94
9:16p, 2/19/24
I keep holding out hope that MLB will come to their senses on streaming rights before the season starts. I was a longtime DTV satellite customer who left them after baseball was over last season for YTTV. I really like YTTV and would like to keep it, but I'm not paying for 2 services. There's still a month or so for YTTV to either start offering the MLB package or for Space City Network to be offered by YTTV. I know it's a long shot and is doubtful.

Anyone know anything about the MLB stand-alone service and using a VPN?
CFTXAG10
9:31p, 2/19/24
In reply to Booma94
It became much more difficult to use a VPN last year. I ended up just adding cable through Xfinity. Blackout restrictions in all sports are ****ty
Beat40
10:42p, 2/19/24
In reply to Booma94
I believe YTTV has said FU to regional sports channels.
Beat40
10:46p, 2/19/24
I was paying $140 for xfinity tv and internet, but realized I could drop my xfinity cable and get better pricing on the internet alone and do YTTV for like $100-$110. As much as I love the Astros, they are not worth the $30/month, especially when they put a game or two on Apple or Peacock. I'd rather use it to do something with my family.

MLB doesn't deserve my money if they are going to make it so damned difficult for me to watch the team I root for.

Crane and Ferrtita could easily do direct to customer with Spacecity. The fact they aren't tells me all I need to know about how they view things. Stuck in the old ways.
Booma94
1:14a, 2/20/24
In reply to Beat40
I think Crane, at least, is limited by MLB's guidelines. With Amazon purchasing a stake in the Diamond Sports/Bally's networks, it appears they're still working on a revamping of those rules. They pushed out an announcement in January that more info on purchasing a subscription through Amazon for those affected teams/networks would come "soon" which I hoped meant before the season. I guess all we can do is wait and see.
BMX Bandit
5:52a, 2/20/24
Quote:

As much as I love the Astros, they are not worth the $30/month

To each his own; but April to mid-August, Astros are 90% of tv consumption for my family. Worth much more than $30/month for us.
AustinCountyAg
8:21a, 2/20/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

To each his own; but April to mid-August, Astros are 90% of tv consumption for my family. Worth much more than $30/month for us.
this. as much as it sucks to spend more on a streaming service that offers the Astros I gladly pay it because we (my family) have the games on every night and it is what we enjoy watching as a family. Not to mention it is still a lot cheaper than dropping $300 at least to take a family of four to the ballpark for ONE game.
CFTXAG10
8:36a, 2/20/24
I think my xfinity package jumps from $120 to $180 with cable. I'd gladly pay $60/month for a no-hassle way of watching the Stros regularly. I got fed up always trying to find a stream or using a VPN through the MLB App.
fc2112
8:42a, 2/20/24
fubo is only $79.99 a month.
AustinCountyAg
11:18a, 2/20/24
+ 14ish for regional sports network, and then add tax as well.

the $79 plan also doesn't come with MLB network. that is a must during baseball seaon imo
Beat40
11:31a, 2/20/24
In reply to Booma94
Booma94 said:

I think Crane, at least, is limited by MLB's guidelines. With Amazon purchasing a stake in the Diamond Sports/Bally's networks, it appears they're still working on a revamping of those rules. They pushed out an announcement in January that more info on purchasing a subscription through Amazon for those affected teams/networks would come "soon" which I hoped meant before the season. I guess all we can do is wait and see.
I do hope they figure something out along those lines soon. Would be great.

And yes, you're probably right about Crane. MLB is most likely limiting what he can do.
Beat40
12:11p, 2/20/24
In reply to BMX Bandit
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

I gotcha and I understand. Certainly paying $30/month to watch 24ish games is much more economical than going to a single game with the family. It's why I did it for so long.

I'm just fed up with it all.

The NFL has figured how to give me games for my local team on Sunday for free if I want to go that route. The prime subscription makes it easy, and YTTV gives me ESPN. They don't force me to pay an additional fee for 95% of games. The NFL is certainly a different beast than MLB, no denying that.

The NBA, even though I can't watch my local team every night, gives me games on Tuesdays and Thursdays through YTTV (TNT) and a Sunday game for free (ABC). Maybe two Sunday games. I have to pay an extra fee to watch my local team through the RSN, but I can still watch a good amount of basketball weekly with no extra RSN fees on top.

The MLB - all of it is extra fees. Sunday night is the only night baseball is even available without any extra fees. I categorize Apple separately because it's usually only one game or so. Maybe two.

So, also not paying the additional $30/month, or the RSN fee, is my way of telling the MLB they suck. The freaking NBA can get more games on TV without additional fees than MLB. That should wake MLB the hell up, but it doesn't since we keep paying the RSN fee. They owners and commissioner with their regional only view of baseball is going to kill the game.
Booma94
2:11p, 2/20/24
In reply to Beat40
Beat40 said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

I gotcha and I understand. Certainly paying $30/month to watch 24ish games is much more economical than going to a single game with the family. It's why I did it for so long.

I'm just fed up with it all.

The NFL has figured how to give me games for my local team on Sunday for free if I want to go that route. The prime subscription makes it easy, and YTTV gives me ESPN. They don't force me to pay an additional fee for 95% of games. The NFL is certainly a different beast than MLB, no denying that.

The NBA, even though I can't watch my local team every night, gives me games on Tuesdays and Thursdays through YTTV (TNT) and a Sunday game for free (ABC). Maybe two Sunday games. I have to pay an extra fee to watch my local team through the RSN, but I can still watch a good amount of basketball weekly with no extra RSN fees on top.

The MLB - all of it is extra fees. Sunday night is the only night baseball is even available without any extra fees. I categorize Apple separately because it's usually only one game or so. Maybe two.

So, also not paying the additional $30/month, or the RSN fee, is my way of telling the MLB they suck. The freaking NBA can get more games on TV without additional fees than MLB. That should wake MLB the hell up, but it doesn't since we keep paying the RSN fee. They owners and commissioner with their regional only view of baseball is going to kill the game.
Biggest difference between NFL and MLB is that NFL handles all broadcast rights for the league- revenue is shared equally among teams. MLB sets blackout restrictions and handles a minimal amount of games' rights, but for most part each team is left to come up with it's own broadcast situation. Teams like the Yankees make a windfall on their broadcast rights. Teams like the Pirates don't. The Astros fall somewhere in the middle. The Yankees and Dodgers like their arrangement and don't really have an incentive to share revenue so there hasn't really been a push to change the system.
Beat40
2:21p, 2/20/24
In reply to Booma94
That's my point though. There is no real leadership that cares about advancing the game beyond a regional view. Manfred has even called baseball a regional sport. He's missing out on opportunity and trying to grow the game by coming up with rules like a starter has to go 6 innings.
96ags
7:08a, 3/6/24
Just checking in on this thread to see if there has been any progress on the Amazon stuff. Wishful thinking I guess.
Booma94
2:03p, 3/22/24
Looking to switch to directv stream. Any Directv subscribers have a referral code they want to share so we both get a discount?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings