Rangers to remain on Bally for 2024

6,602 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by DallasAg 94
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Another season where I can watch every team on mlb tv but the team 80 miles away. Hate Bally with an irrational hatred.
BCSWguru
I live appx 200 miles from there, right smack in the middle of Astros country, and cant watch the Rangers. Its absolutely bonkers. I will never subscribe to cable/satellite TV again.
sburg2007
It does suck but, it was the best outcome for the club this year. It let them keep the majority of the revenue that was supposed to come from DSG. Otherwise, they would have had to take a big pay cut.
The Anchor
AG
sburg2007 said:

It does suck but, it was the best outcome for the club this year. It let them keep the majority of the revenue that was supposed to come from DSG. Otherwise, they would have had to take a big pay cut.

Short term gain.

My boys want to be Astros and Rangers fans. But they almost never get to watch those teams. It won't take long for them to become lifelong fans of other teams.

I'm a Braves fan because I grew up watching TBS.

How many other Texas kids will become future fans of out of state teams? Im guessing that's a possible net loss when the math is actually done.
sburg2007
This thing stinks now but, kids like winners too. Gotta pay the bills to win.
The Anchor
AG
And that's exactly how I became a Braves fan. Back then you could watch the Braves (TBS) or Cubs (WGN) every day. The Braves were winners and the Cubs were not.

And I grew up in a Astros house. Couldn't even watch them.

Maybe my experience is unique. But, I think this is a terrible move if you want to continue to keep your local (state wide) fans for the next generation.
sburg2007
It's one more season. They'll be fine.
agsalaska
AG
I get both Astros and Rangers with FUBO. At least I did last year.
chlavinka
AG
Both are on cable in Houston
BMX Bandit
Quote:

My boys want to be Astros and Rangers fans. But they almost never get to watch those teams

Where do you live that you can't watch either team?
The Anchor
AG
Bryan

Both teams are blacked out on MLB and I'm not paying for more cable services.
Beat40
The Anchor said:

Bryan

MLB has the worst TV policy of all the major leagues. The owners view all their stuff as regional only and Manfred is not a visionary enough to motivate the owners to see things for the league as a whole.
BMX Bandit
The Anchor said:

Bryan

Does your cable provider not have either channel they are on? Have you considered dropping cable and going streaming?
45-70Ag
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The Anchor said:

Bryan

Does your cable provider not have either channel they are on? Jace you considered dropping cable and going streaming?

You can't stream Bally with a streaming service, it's not available. We live between Waco and mcgregor and rangers/astros games are off limits. I subscribe to mlb tv , can watch any game but not a game in this state.
agsalaska
AG
45-70Ag said:

BMX Bandit said:

The Anchor said:

Bryan

Does your cable provider not have either channel they are on? Jace you considered dropping cable and going streaming?

You can't stream Bally with a streaming service, it's not available. We live between Waco and mcgregor and rangers/astros games are off limits. I subscribe to mlb tv , can watch any game but not a game in this state.

I live in Belton and get both of them streaming on FUBOtv. At least I did last year.
The Anchor
AG
BMX Bandit said:

The Anchor said:

Bryan

Does your cable provider not have either channel they are on? Have you considered dropping cable and going streaming?
I don't have cable. I have YouTube and MLB. YouTube rarely shows them and MLB blacks out both Rangers and Astros.
BMX Bandit
sorry, thought you were paying for cable when you said you weren't paying for more cable service.

drop YouTube and MLB. Get Fubo. you can watch both teams
The Anchor
AG
Then I lose my braves games.

The only viable solution for me is for MLB to stop blacking out the games.
MelvinUdall
The Anchor said:

And that's exactly how I became a Braves fan. Back then you could watch the Braves (TBS) or Cubs (WGN) every day. The Braves were winners and the Cubs were not.

And I grew up in a Astros house. Couldn't even watch them.

Maybe my experience is unique. But, I think this is a terrible move if you want to continue to keep your local (state wide) fans for the next generation.

Question, did you live in Houston? I assume not, because I was able to watch the Astros on channel 20 and HSE.
BMX Bandit
He lives in Bryan

Can you buy the Braves package on mlb network?
The Anchor
AG
Growing up we lived in Houston (until ~1990), Gatesville area (until ~1996), and then high school in Salado. We had DirecTV.
Matsui
AG
Can you get spectrum?
The Anchor
AG
If you are replying to me I've already stated I'm not subscribing to more stuff
agsalaska
AG
The Anchor said:

It's on you then. Watching your Braves is more important.

For about $60 a month you could get Fubo and watch all of them. You know. If you wanted.

I'm you neighbor. And I get the Astros, Rangers, and even the Braves. And I bet I pay about the same or less for all my stuff.
PatriotAg02
AG
agsalaska said:

45-70Ag said:

BMX Bandit said:

The Anchor said:

Bryan

I live in Belton and get both of them streaming on FUBOtv. At least I did last year.

Same. Also in belton.
PatriotAg02
AG
agsalaska said:

The Anchor said:

For about $60 a month you could get Fubo and watch all of them. You know. If you wanted.

I'm you neighbor. And I get the Astros, Rangers, and even the Braves. And I bet I pay about the same or less for all my stuff.

Fubo ain't 60 a month. Try like 95.
The Anchor
AG
agsalaska said:

The Anchor said:

You're missing the point. I pay for MLB and the Texas teams shouldn't be blacked out in BCS.
agsalaska
AG
The Anchor said:

agsalaska said:

The Anchor said:

You're missing the point. I pay for MLB and the Texas teams shouldn't be blacked out in BCS.
I agree. It is stupid.

But you absolutely 100% can get both the Astros and Rangers where you live. Your kids would love it.
Farmer1906
AG
agsalaska said:

The Anchor said:

agsalaska said:

The Anchor said:

I agree. It is stupid.

But you absolutely 100% can get both the Astros and Rangers where you live. Your kids would love it.
Yup. Sounds like you'd be better off not paying for MLB TV.
The Anchor
AG
Again, then I wouldn't get my Braves.

Yall are arguing points I'm not making.
Farmer1906
AG
The Anchor said:

Several local providers will give you the local teams. You're choosing to pay extra to see an out of market team.

I think it sucks how MLB does it, but it is what it is.
agsalaska
AG
The Anchor said:

We get it. You would rather watch 'your Braves' than allow your Texas born and raised kids watch the Astros and Rangers. You are choosing your own loyalties over your kids.

All so you don't spend an extra $70 or so a month for five months out of the year.

We are advocating for your kids.
Beat40
agsalaska said:

The Anchor said:

We get it. You would rather watch 'your Braves' than allow your Texas born and raised kids watch the Astros and Rangers. You are choosing your own loyalties over your kids.

All so you don't spend an extra $70 or so a month for five months out of the year.

We are advocating for your kids.
C'mon guys. Why is this becoming a drama?

He's a fan of the Braves and wants to be able to watch them. There is nothing wrong with that. He's absolutely correct that the MLB is stupid to black out local teams for a service you pay for because of the regional sports contracts.

It's too dramatic to make this about a dad not loving kids enough to watch the Astros or Rangers.

By the way, the last I checked, Fubo is $80/month + a region sports fee for the Astros. Paying close to $100/month for TV just watch the Astros is insane when the MLB has an option to allow you to watch all teams across the league, but they refuse to do it because their view on the MLB is regional focused rather than the league as a whole.

Honestly, I'd rather this guy's kids become Braves fans because the MLB is too stupid to make watching local teams easy. Maybe then the damned league would view their product less regionally.

The way the owners and MLB execs view their league infuriates me.
BMX Bandit
The blackout is not the issue for him. Even if lifted, it's going to cost him more money which he says he doesn't want to do.

If he had fubo (for example) and purchased Braves on MLB, he could watch all.

Baseball is a regional sport. No amount of complaining is going to change that. Owners know they can make more money forcing a network on fans. I think they should need the blackout but for now they aren't. Easy solution to the problem here.
Beat40
BMX Bandit said:

The blackout is not the issue for him. Even if lifted, it's going to cost him more money which he says he doesn't want to do.

If he had fubo (for example) and purchased Braves on MLB, he could watch all.

Baseball is a regional sport. No amount of complaining is going to change that. Owners know they can make more money forcing a network on fans. I think they should need the blackout but for now they aren't. Easy solution to the problem here.

Ok, the RSN is the issue since it forces the black out. He shouldn't have to pay for MLB TV to watch the team he grew up rooting for AND pay for another service on top so that so his kids can watch the local teams because the service he pays for, which is owned by the damned league itself, blacks out local games in favor of the RSN. You understand that's his main point, right?

He COULD purchase both, but why the hell should he HAVE to do it? That's the problem. It's bull*****

It's a regional sport because we've been conditioned to think it is. It shouldn't be. It's played all over.

NFL is a different animal, but even the NBA has figured out how to get their games out nationally on a more regular basis. NBA dominates social media. MLB is stuck with it's one national game a week, and that only starts in the summer. The MLB is behind the NBA in terms of visibility and the owners should frankly be ashamed they've let it come to that point.

I think Manfred's biggest failure is he isn't visionary. A visionary could possibly convince the owners there is more money in growing the game nationally and making players national brands. He's doing his incremental changes to "grow the game," but I'm not convinced he even cares about the game of which he's the commissioner.

MLB will die if they don't figure out how to get the games out to the masses on a more regular basis.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.