***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

832,943 Views | 17906 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by Baseball Is Life
West Roxbury
How long do you want to ignore this user?
W said:

remember that the leadership and complacency issues were already going on last September when the Astros lost 3 series to the Royals and A's during a pennant chase

not to mention the losing record at Minute Maid Park

the Astros did just enough last year to cover up those problems -- but they didn't go away

100%.
MaxPower
Here's a fun Bregman fact. He has never had a full month (e.g. didn't miss time with injury) in which he had an OPS below .600……until this April
West Roxbury
texasaggie2015 said:

I will say, I did have a conversation with one of my people last night. They mentioned complacency- which is what some of you mentioned on this thread already. I think there's a lot of truth to that.

That stinks. I hate hearing that. But not surprised.
West Roxbury
Ag_07 said:

I don't have an issue with Espada and his lineup and game management.

I think his demeanor and passiveness are a big issue. There's no fire.

Even Hinch ans Johnny B who were pretty laid back could get fired up and slam a fist, jaw a little at umps and opposing players.

Espada looks lethargic and maybe it's a deer in the headlights deal with the way they've started but man it bothers me.

Yes. It's tone setting.
West Roxbury
W said:

Bregman's line out to left field was interesting

97 mph off the bat and 25 degree launch angle and pulled

but it only traveled 330 ft

this is a case where he didn't hit the ball hard enough -- he got the launch angle right

And that is 10 mph more than his average. That is probably about as hard as he is going to strike a ball at this point. Hence his 1 HR.
texasaggie2015
AG
I remember when he was hired I was told that he's a baseball genius and fantastic coach but there was some level of concern with his ability to be a leader of men. Perhaps that's why he hadn't been poached by another club. Who knows.

Crane wanted someone more proven but nothing ever came to fruition. Espada was sort of the "safe fallback" option, though Dana Brown was his biggest advocate.

This season isn't entirely on Espada, but whether it's fair or not, I would be surprised if he's still the manager if this team doesn't turn things around by mid-June or so.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Using the White Sox current pitching staff as a reason that Maldonado isn't a good catcher is pretty myopic. The White Sox are tanking for draft picks, and have already started Lee more than Maldy. If anything, they signed him in order to trade him to team that needs help with pitching inconsistency come July/August
That's because he's a better player. In fact he's also been better than Diaz and Caratini, so far, if only slightly.
Wabs
AG
Espada's deer in the headlights look often mirrors mine when I'm watching games this year.
texasaggie2015
AG
If you think Maldonado brought nothing to the table in terms of clubhouse leadership and game planning behind the scenes, you couldn't be more wrong.

He was also horrendous defensively and at the plate. Both things are true.

His absence isn't the reason the Astros are 11 games below .500, but he left a void in some areas that wasn't (well, couldn't) be filled.

I mentioned this a while back but I know not everyone saw it- the Astros offered him a role on the coaching staff shortly after the season ended. I don't know what kind of role it was, but it was on the table. That should tell you that he provided something of value.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Both things are true.

His absence isn't the reason the Astros are 11 games below .500, but he left a void in some areas that wasn't filled.
I would imagine most folks here agree and understand this. When you have a fairly visible Astro tweeter talking about Maldonado's glue as a giant cause of the performance this year... it's going to rub us the wrong way.
texasaggie2015
AG
Definitely understand.

FWIW- and this is more of a sidenote- I've gotten to know that tweeter fairly well over the last couple years. I'm shocked with how connected he is. He has good sources.. assuming we're thinking of the same guy. Just dropping that note for when he has scoop.
JCA1
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

MaxPower said:

Nope. He still has a 2 year old at home. If you think that isn't a distraction then you've never had kids. Thus your original argument that having a kid was a good distraction is invalid.
I don't have kids, but I assume the first child being born was something that diverted his attention from obsessing over baseball 24-7 just enough to remove some of the pressure he was experiencing. Maybe some of that slips back in over time and he's back where he started. Who knows.
Everyone can be different, so you can't say exactly how anyone will respond. But as a father of 2, I don't think your suggestion holds up. I don't know anyone who's attention dropped just because their kids went from infant to 2 year old. If anything, once they start to develop a little personality, start communicating, and become much more interactive (basically this timeframe), you want to be around them even more.
The Porkchop Express
texasaggie2015 said:

I mentioned this a while back but I know not everyone saw it- the Astros offered him a role on the coaching staff shortly after the season ended. I don't know what kind of role it was, but it was on the table. That should tell you that he provided something of value.
Hitting Coach.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
redline248
AG
I still have to believe a correction is coming for the team...for now. At least offensively.

Lowest K rate in the majors, as a team
8th in weighted On Base average
8th in slugging
Tied 7th in wRC+
...but...
19th in babip
tied 13th in isolated power

another but...tied for 17th in hard hit %.

Pitching has been a little more bleak, but I choose to remain optimistic with the starters coming back, and the bullpen eventually holding leads.
The Porkchop Express
I'd also like to blame the Astros for my terrible fantasy baseball performance thus far. Every time I think abotu checking on my team, I realize the Astros are draining the life out of me and I don't do it. Looking at my roster today, how about we trade Bregman for Bo Bichete? He's currently in a 3 for 40 slump.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Boo freaking hoo, your guys were cheating too. Let it go.
Mathguy64
AG
Playoff Kershaw needs to blame Tipping Darvish. And Overused Bullpen Roberts.
_veeyah_
AG
Hey guys can we stop with the baby talk except Tjacks rally baby of course. I just got some news about my wife's pregnancy and I'm a nervous wreck right now! (btw im just kidding I don't mind baby talk at all lol)
astros4545
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Boo freaking hoo, your guys were cheating too. Let it go.

Imagine thinking that a trash can could be heard in a World Series crowd juice box
Beau Holder
AG
Just watched the Guardians bunt the runner to third in the 10th inning. Who would do such a thing.

Edit: They won.
Baseball Is Life
Is anyone watching the Cleveland game? It's in extras and Cleveland just bunted the free runner over to 3rd. Next batter wins it.
Baseball Is Life
Beau Holder said:

Just watched the Guardians bunt the runner to third in the 10th inning. Who would do such a thing.

Edit: They won.

You beat me to it!
First Page Refresh
Page 512 of 512

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.