We've got a full blown pitching injury crisis in mlb right now.

2,608 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by DallasAg 94
Silent For Too Long
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Likely because of a combination of banning foreign substances and the pitch clock, we are thoroughly devastating our top talent.

This is something fans of every team need be concerned about.

While the injuries are obviously an unintended consequence, mlb very intentionally tried to reign in how hard guys were throwing and how much they were spinning it and now they are blowing their arms out trying to maintain what they had been accomplishing.

This sucks for all of mlb.
AgBQ-00
AG
Pitchers should not be max effort on every throw. The chasing of max spin is also foolish. Arms are not designed for it. It will take a change in mindset all the way down to little league to curb this issue. Expand the strike zone and teach pitchers to pitch.
alvtimes
try telling a young guy trying to reach the majors to not throw as hard as he can or to spin the ball the best he can. Competitors compete….I agree they dont need to try to throw it thru the mitt every pitch but reality says they are gonna do the absolute best they can chasing crazy money. Its easy for a dude sitting in an office to make rules that have no bearing on him or his ability to make money. There is a fix here if players think its an issue…. you can still have a pitch clock, just raise the times.
AgBQ-00
AG
Except this started showing up well before pitch clock. The huge jump started when analytics really caught a foothold. It is just catching more coverage now because there is an easy scapegoat to point at.
AgBQ-00
AG
That is the reason the mindset has to change starting as kids. If they want to be able to sustain success there has to be concessions made so they don't have to go as extreme. Raise the mound expand the strike zone give the pitchers a fighting chance. A few seconds on the pitch clock is not going to address it at all. It is a repetitive use/damage injury that shows up with catastrophic failure. There are warning signs (sore elbow, forearm tightness) etc. They show up when it is too late though.
DallasAg 94
Reminds me of a joke.

Patient: "Doctor, doctor... it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Then stop doing that."

Patient: "Oh."

I was actually going to start a thread tracking P injuries but seemed there were too many.

I think the pitch clock limits a P's ability to listen to their body. Sometimes you need to take a deep breath and listen to your body. The pitch clock says, "batter up." Not saying it is a cause as much as recognizing there should be consideration.

All-in-all... the P is responsible for his health Competitor or not.

WINNING has become too important. We discussed this in passing in the Rangers thread.

Whether it is Kerry Woods or some nobody we've got to do a better job. Competitor or not. We should be teaching young athletes how to LOVE the sport more than WINNING. Baseball used to be a cerebral sport. Now it is about power. HR-BB-K pays well. 13K/9 pays.

Owners could play a role. Don't build in a TJ into the contract and overpay for a power pitcher when a Maddux type pitcher will get you more value.

Now that the Rangers have won the WS... we should focus more on Loving the game and not WINNING.
Texaggie7nine
Texaggie7nine
7nine
DallasAg 94
I think he nailed it in many aspects.

He referenced 2016. Keep in mind in 2018 MLB officially took over Rawlings and the manufacture of baseballs. It was later disclosed that MLB was "juicing" some balls.
AgBQ-00
AG
I like how he was talking about incentivizing pitching vs throwing and the never ending search for velo and spin. Something has to change.
DallasAg 94
They just played a clip from Rangers Ortho Dr. Keith Meister. He is doing many of these TJs. Did 220 in 2023?!

He attributes much of this to "these designer pitches."

He said he can look at an MRI and tell you what kind of pitch he throws.
Carlo4
AG
alvtimes said:

try telling a young guy trying to reach the majors to not throw as hard as he can or to spin the ball the best he can. Competitors compete….I agree they dont need to try to throw it thru the mitt every pitch but reality says they are gonna do the absolute best they can chasing crazy money. Its easy for a dude sitting in an office to make rules that have no bearing on him or his ability to make money. There is a fix here if players think its an issue…. you can still have a pitch clock, just raise the times.

Try telling a little league coach to kill pitchers when they are 10-12 and having them throw breaking stuff when we all know it will damage their arm.

Starts with that as well.

DustyBaker
This has been happening for a long time. I mean think back to Mark Prior. Nobody knows why it happens or how to prevent it
Aggie95
AG
Sandy Koufax was alright....maybe some young guys and current MLB's should take note:

Sandy Koufax said "how easy can you throw it hard"…when he was the best it was effortless, when he did muscle up he had adverse results
Mike Elko
AG
DustyBaker said:

This has been happening for a long time. I mean think back to Mark Prior. Nobody knows why it happens or how to prevent it

Yeah, thanks a lot for how you handled/managed Prior and Wood during your Cubs reign.
AgBQ-00
AG

Foul Territory visits with Dr Keith Meister about arm injuries. Just started listening so no Cliff's. Thought others might like to hear it as well

ETA notes:
  • saw uptick with increase in velo
  • says designer pitches contribute to uptick
  • he can tell from damage what type of pitch was the main culprit for individual
  • velo and spin the main factors
  • says he's seeing uptick in lower levels now too
  • has told MLB that this will not change in lower levels until it changes at MLB

more to follow

ETA2:
There was too much info to post in any good manner. It is a really good watch. He talks about how a lot of the guys in MiLB are being told you can maybe make it to AAA if you continue this way, or you can add these (his term) designer pitches and make MLB quickly. His point was to teach these kids to pitch and be able to tap into their max but not live there (my paraphrase). Interesting watch
astros4545
AG
This is all overblown largely

A few bigger names than normal that happened relatively close together
DallasAg 94
To some degree it is the media's "shark attack."

However, I didn't watch the video above but sounds like the one clips I heard and posted about.

I believe he said he did like 220 TJs lat year and did 70 in 1Q24... with like 40 scheduled in April or May. He will greatly eclipse the number this year.

Now... does that rise show an increase in need? Are more people just getting them instead of retiring? Are more people going to him and the increase means other Orthos are doing less?

I agree this has been a problem for quite some time... but if an Ortho says, "these new designer pitches being thrown can be discerned on an MRI," I'm going to pause and listen.
WES2006AG
AG
It is rare these days for me to show up at a high school to umpire and to not see at least one kid in a sling after some kind of elbow injury. I've been doing this for almost 20 years and that was not the case previously.

This is obviously anecdotal but it seems to be more of a problem today than it was 20 years ago.
AgBQ-00
AG
Just saw Strider out for season
Smeghead4761
Greg Maddux seemed to do okay with a fastball that was what? 80? 85? Almost entirely on the ability to locate and change speeds.
htxag09
AG
A couple things that stand out to me reading this thread.....

First, how pitchers in history, no matter how recent, performed with lower velocity is kind of irrelevant. The game is different, the hitters are different. And I guarantee if those pitchers had the tools available now they'd be chasing spin and velocity as well.

Second, "the mindset needs to change" simply is not going to happen. The genie is not going back in the bottle on it's own. You aren't going to convince a kid chasing millions of dollars to take it easier when he can look at tools like spin rate, see how he compares, know what he can do to adjust, and make those adjustments. Similarly, you aren't going to convince the players in the league that they'll be find with a couple mph off their fastball...

So....I think it comes down to MLB. I know everyone loves to bash the rule changes, but something has to happen. The easiest parallel is the NFL and their recent run of QB injuries. Rules were changed, people *****ed, but, guess what, less QBs are getting injured.....Not sure what rule changes would be applied to counter this, tying DH to starting pitcher only, changing of roster spots, etc., But I imagine the rule route will be the way this is approached.
jkag89
AgBQ-00
AG
He is right. It will come down to a team figuring out how to keep their top line pitchers healthy and gaining a real advantage to change the mindset in MLB management circles.
agsalaska
AG
I would like to see rule changes in youth baseball first. That's where it starts and Wes Ag is 100% right about arm injuries in kids. It's insane how much these kids do at young ages today.

I'm not sure how much of that contributes to the problems today but I'm sure it contributes somewhat.

And I agree it will have to be addressed in the rules. Same thing NFL did. Same thing PGA is trying to do. But I have no idea how. In my opinion the pitch clock is a big win for the fans but maybe they need to give the pitchers one pause per AB or something. Don't know.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
WES2006AG
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

Greg Maddux seemed to do okay with a fastball that was what? 80? 85? Almost entirely on the ability to locate and change speeds.
Umpires weren't graded by a computer on the strike zone back then. I am confident that Maddux could figure it out in this era but he would be a different guy not getting 6 inches on the outside corner.
htxag09
AG
I agree with youth baseball.

The amount of baseball kids play today is asinine. Tournaments every weekend in 8U. So dumb, but...money....
agsalaska
AG
htxag09 said:

I agree with youth baseball.

The amount of baseball kids play today is asinine. Tournaments every weekend in 8U. So dumb, but...money....

Yea that's not what I'm really referring to and would disagree that getting your boy and his friends together to play baseball on the weekends is dumb. We love select baseball and the weekend trips and all of that.

Problem is too many innings played by too few kids resulting in too many throws from young developing arms. But that can all be fixed.

Select baseball can be pretty easily fixed by limiting bracket sizes, reducing pitch counts, and forcing teams to carry more players. And coaches would generally support that. The challenge is the parents understanding the dangers I've overuse and understanding why limits are needed.

I will leave it at that. Hopefully we can keep this from becoming a select baseball bashing thread.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
htxag09
AG
Not sure how you acknowledge that youth baseball is an issue then defend select baseball and what it's become....select baseball is the reason kids are throwing every weekend...year round...

ETA: I don't think select/travel baseball in itself is bad. I think what it has become is absolutely bad. And in many ways.
agsalaska
AG
htxag09 said:

Not sure how you acknowledge that youth baseball is an issue then defend select baseball and what it's become....select baseball is the reason kids are throwing every weekend...year round...

ETA: I don't think select/travel baseball in itself is bad. I think what it has become is absolutely bad. And in many ways.

I think we are just talking passed each other.

I pretty clearly said that it needs major changes because of what it has become. Not sure where you think I was defending it.

Edit to add- I don't internet fight so just read my post again. If you still think I was defending select baseball just move on.

Edit to add one more thing. When I said I love Select baseball I should have clarified that to say 'I love our family's experience with Select baseball. But I was pretty clear it has major issues.
Aggie1205
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

At the end of his career it was mid 80s but prior to that he was often in the low 90s.
agsalaska
AG
What would happen if they did these two things?

Raised the seems making it easier to create spin

Limit spin rates by fines and maybe even ball strikes calls.

For example, pitcher A has what we now use in high school. But if he spins something more than whatever number it's an automatic ball.

I don't know. It probably wouldn't work. But it's an idea.
DallasAg 94
agsalaska said:

What would happen if they did these two things?

Raised the seems making it easier to create spin

Limit spin rates by fines and maybe even ball strikes calls.

For example, pitcher A has what we now use in high school. But if he spins something more than whatever number it's an automatic ball.

I don't know. It probably wouldn't work. But it's an idea.
Some every game would be required to own and calibrate a device to monitor spin rates and you'll have a pitch clock to determine within?!

Raising seems, I think, would turn most pitchers into breaking ball pitchers. Pressure differentials I think would increase. Similar to how an airplane wing lifts a plane or how you get all your trash in the pickup right behind the cab... you are creating a Low pressure on the backside that will impact movement.
DallasAg 94
Chiming in.

I believe there was a study that showed pitchers from the South tended to have TJs at a higher rate than pitchers in the North. The speculation was year-round ball is played in the South and not in the North, where it is cold and athletes are forced to play other sports. That was something I recall hearing reported 10-15 years ago.

The solution won't start in Youth sports. I just don't see enough coaches adhering to PCs, let alone other rules. Maybe they are more strictly enforced now?! I know the private school a kid of mine went to required players who played on the HS team had to play on the Select/Club team that was attached. It was to control the PC Pitchers were getting where the same coach had the player for both HS and Club. Kids playing for HS and Club were getting caught throwing for their HS and then for their Club that same week without telling the coaches the truth about how many they threw. That issue may be resolved.

I think the solution come in MLB contracts. Teams have been building in TJs into big contracts. Take deGrom. When the Rangers signed him, most people just assumed he'd get a TJ surgery and we just didn't know. So, he got TJ (2nd) and he'll return to play a couple years until his arm blows out again. It is the cost of doing business.

That may change, now. If teams start to realize there may be a way to work around not having 2 dead years in a contract, players may not accept that they'll likely have to have TJ but still get paid.

JD (former Rangers GM) got tired of dead TJ money and was vocal that he'd prefer signing 3 $10M SPs than 1 $30M SP. He knew TJs were inevitable and if he spent all his money on a $30M guy, if he went down, we're down at AAA or AA looking for Innings for 2 years. If he had 3 $10M SPs... one blows his arm out, you have another $10M guy behind him and the drop off won't be as substantial as a AA guy.

CY, like JD has been enamored with the "recent TJ in rehab" project. He signed Mahle for 2 years with the 1st being a recovery. That puts more pressure on the P. Snell and Montgomery are more likely to position themselves to stay healthy in 2024 because if they blow their arm out, they may not get paid for a couple years of rehab. Certainly not the $25-30M. Maybe the $5.5M Mahle is getting.

The trickle down would be slow. Teams need to put more focus early in the draft for guys who know how to pitch and not just heat throwers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.